Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Monstervision was the best and introduced young ramadu to godzilla and They Live

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Xtro was very :magical:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Jack Gladney posted:

Xtro 2 is weird and fun also, as I remember from Joe Bob Briggs talking me through it.

This man is a dirty liar.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

How is Fire in the Sky?

It's the best Alien Abduction film our of 3 imo. It functions like a weird opposite Wolf of Wall Street where 80% is very mundane and kind of dull honestly. It starts off with a burst, and slows to a crawl. And then, literally without warning, it loses it's goddamn mind and crafts the best scene in that genre. I think that scene is great on it's own, but it really works when you have the contrast.

I just think no one's done the genre justice yet. There's always good moments in the films, but never one film that works completely. Dark Skies has the bedroom scene and the finale, The Fourth Kind has the possession scenes, Extraterrestrial has one single good shot where the Alien is highlighted in the doorway by lighting. Alien Abduction is worthless. I personally don't like the way the Aliens function in Alien Slumber Party. If that short was less "RUN ALIENS AAAHHHH" and more the Aliens stalking around the house, I would've liked it a lot more. The kids were really fun in that one.

As a kid, this is the one thing that legit frightened me for years. I remember seeing a documentary about it, and seeing these kids with triangles and poo poo scared all over their body. It's horrific. They flashed a picture of a Grey right after and I think I screamed. Ever since, the paranormal has fascinated me. First it was about discovery, but now it's just these stories are really unique and interesting. There's a lot of untapped potential. But people just want to make a quick buck off it. Oh well.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZzAG1f-HEM

very good scene.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?

CelticPredator posted:

As a kid, this is the one thing that legit frightened me for years. I remember seeing a documentary about it, and seeing these kids with triangles and poo poo scared all over their body. It's horrific.

Ever read Scott Sigler's "Infected" trilogy? There's these nasty little aliens that are triangle-shaped and grow under peoples skin and then explode out. One guy in the first book tries to remove all of them. It's super disgusting.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Fuckin' bingo, I need to watch this don't I? I need to watch this.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's really unusual and cool. It's not funny but the movie it's always reminded me of is An American Werewolf In London.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I miss Monstervision/Up All Night a lot. I don't suppose there's anything like it on TV now?

SaavikSpocksDaddy
Dec 22, 2012
Just seen Society (1989). It was like a more visceral Rosemary's Baby - the effects at the end were truly terrifying. I really liked the film. It had this crazy plastic sheen to the entire production. The star felt like Michael J. Fox
If you have Shudder, I definitely recommend it.

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

Just watched Contamination and am currently checking out Alien 2: On Earth. I'm making it a goal for the year to watch all of the Alien ripoffs (or loving homage I guess) and films that inspired Alien.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

TOOT BOOT posted:

I miss Monstervision/Up All Night a lot. I don't suppose there's anything like it on TV now?

Svengoolie, though he's gesturing back to a slightly older style of movie host.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???

TOOT BOOT posted:

Svengoolie

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug
Saw The Blackcoat's Daughter on Friday, and it was pretty decent. It's a real slow burn, but I appreciated it for being a movie about possession that didn't go totally over the top with it.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Part of what was great about Monstervision was that he would go on film nerd rants. His gimmick was weird, but I think ended up fitting monster movies.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'm thinking about getting a Shudder subscription on my Amazon, would you guys say it's worth it for someone who's grown bored of whatever Netflix has to offer?

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'm thinking about getting a Shudder subscription on my Amazon, would you guys say it's worth it for someone who's grown bored of whatever Netflix has to offer?

That's why I subbed to it so yes imo. Pretty good selection and they update much more frequently, or at least it feels that way.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

How much is shudder?

SaavikSpocksDaddy
Dec 22, 2012
I think it's $6.99 but I can't recommend it enough.
The selections are curated - sometimes by up-and-coming horror directors. There's many quality horror films both new and old, and there's new additions all the time.
There are some kinks like I can't actually view the films on my phone and I hear there's an issue with Chromecast right now.
If you try to cancel after the one-week trial, they'll offer you a free month so if you want to just try it for longer.

Shudder's been wonderful to me.
I just watched The Mutilator and it was one of the most bizarre slashers I've seen yet. The deaths were all imaginative and gory, the beginning scene was a great way to set the whole ball rolling (a silly pink note that says 'HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD I cleaned 'em for you' on the father's gun rack), The theme song was wonderful - the acting is all really over-the-top. I've been reading and apparently the new Blu-Ray went all-out including a feature length making-of documentary and that would be cool to watch.
The Mutilator himself felt like Ernest Hemingway or the seacaptain from The Simpsons. His halberd and the hook were so gruesome.
The guy who played Ralph fascinated me like "what were they thinking doing this/casting him? was it the script or is that the actor"

IF YOU HAVE SHUDDER, PLEASE WATCH SOCIETY. I'd like to read more about it from others because the last thirty minutes are so mindboggling

SaavikSpocksDaddy fucked around with this message at 09:57 on May 23, 2016

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

One of the podcasts I listen to (Never Not Funny) had Shudder as an advertiser last week, offering the first month free with promo code 'pardo'. So if you're on the fence you could try that I suppose.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Looking over the selection of Shudder, they'd have to really keep updating it regularly for me to keep a subscription long-term because they don't have a ton of stuff. On average how many movies are they adding per month?

Its definitely something that I'm going to get for a month or two though, because there's a solid bunch of like 8-10 movies that I've been dying to see for a while now. Opera, Society, Maniac, Don't Torture a Duckling, Absentia, The Stuff, and probably 3 or 4 others. Its also a good subscription to get in October so I can have access to a lot of classic Bava stuff that I'd probably only want to watch once a year.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

SaavikSpocksDaddy posted:

I think it's $6.99 but I can't recommend it enough.
The selections are curated - sometimes by up-and-coming horror directors. There's many quality horror films both new and old, and there's new additions all the time.
There are some kinks like I can't actually view the films on my phone and I hear there's an issue with Chromecast right now.
If you try to cancel after the one-week trial, they'll offer you a free month so if you want to just try it for longer.

Shudder's been wonderful to me.
I just watched The Mutilator and it was one of the most bizarre slashers I've seen yet. The deaths were all imaginative and gory, the beginning scene was a great way to set the whole ball rolling (a silly pink note that says 'HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD I cleaned 'em for you' on the father's gun rack), The theme song was wonderful - the acting is all really over-the-top. I've been reading and apparently the new Blu-Ray went all-out including a feature length making-of documentary and that would be cool to watch.
The Mutilator himself felt like Ernest Hemingway or the seacaptain from The Simpsons. His halberd and the hook were so gruesome.
The guy who played Ralph fascinated me like "what were they thinking doing this/casting him? was it the script or is that the actor"

IF YOU HAVE SHUDDER, PLEASE WATCH SOCIETY. I'd like to read more about it from others because the last thirty minutes are so mindboggling

I've got the Blu-Ray (and an old Big Box VHS that I can't part with) it's generally well thought off in this thread and in general and that's because it loving owns.

Shudder is a great service, I've been subscribing to it for a while I just don't use it as much as I should mainly because it's a bit of a pain in the arse to use, this is nothing to do with Shudder themselves it's more to do with me being in the UK and having to use VPN's it seems to work best casting to my Apple TV from the shudder app on my phone.

This of course renders my phone unusable during the runtime of the film which is no bad thing I guess.
Please don't judge me for watching both nekromantik films as my first shudder viewings.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SaavikSpocksDaddy posted:

Just seen Society (1989). It was like a more visceral Rosemary's Baby - the effects at the end were truly terrifying. I really liked the film. It had this crazy plastic sheen to the entire production. The star felt like Michael J. Fox
If you have Shudder, I definitely recommend it.

I love reading people's reactions to Society because they are always the same: the existential dread engendered by watching a movie of that stripe without the usual Cronenberg warning.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Shudder is great but buggy. It wimped out on me in the last 5 mins of Society (NOT COOL) so I had to finish it on youtube.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

As formulaic as Dark Skies is to the Blumhouse brand of haunted house movies, it's still a pretty effective family drama. The Arthur C Clarke quote at the beginning is really great because the idea of the aliens being objectively real or just a shared psychotic episode by the parents, doesn't really matter, because both are equally terrifying.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The J.K. Simmons extended cameo in that is really, really good.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I think I'm going to join Shudder soon because gently caress it why not. I waste way more than $7/mo on pointless bullshit, so I might as well throw it in a direction that both gets me a thing I enjoy (even if I don't use it often) and supports a service that shares my interest. I'm sure Netflix will still be 90% of my streaming (with Hulu making up 5% and Shudder the other 5%), but Shudder is just the kind of thing that I want to exist for the moments I want to use it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I think I'm going to join shudder too just so I can finally watch Cat in the Brain.

Is it still buggy if I get it as an Amazon prime add-on?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

As formulaic as Dark Skies is to the Blumhouse brand of haunted house movies, it's still a pretty effective family drama. The Arthur C Clarke quote at the beginning is really great because the idea of the aliens being objectively real or just a shared psychotic episode by the parents, doesn't really matter, because both are equally terrifying.

But imo aliens are spookier. Skinny big eyed fucks. :ohdear:

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

CelticPredator posted:

yeah, Dark Skies was at least somewhat bizarre, but the result of employing that arthur c. clarke joke is less 'aliens are the mind playing tricks on us' and more 'generic conventions prove aliens and ghosts are exactly the same thing.'

meanwhile, the pseudocumentary The Nightmare just gives you ghost-nightmare-aliens, and directly implies that christ is our only salvation.

watch The Nightmare it's good

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

K. Waste posted:

watch The Nightmare it's good

The Nightmare is really good. I love how it's less focused on the science behind sleep paralysis and more focused on what it means to the interviewees.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Rodney Ascher owns.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Rodney Ascher owns.

honestly, i hadn't even realized he also directed Room 237 until just finding out.

this also looks hella interesting: https://vimeo.com/123765892

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm gonna soon.

But Jesus can't stop the anal probe.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Way spookier. It really is a great movie.

I also watched War of the Worlds and I've gotta say I enjoyed it a lot.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

K. Waste posted:

honestly, i hadn't even realized he also directed Room 237 until just finding out.

this also looks hella interesting: https://vimeo.com/123765892

I can't say anything about it because there's nowhere to see it!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Is this any good?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I can't say anything about it because there's nowhere to see it!

gently caress, this just played like three blocks from me. I thought it looked interesting but the description I read was kind of coy and mostly confusing

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I don't remember if it came up in here or GenChat, but thanks to the people who were recommending Kolchak The Night Stalker. Very entertaining series, helped me get through doing some minor renovation projects without slacking off like I usually do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Wyrmwood is actually a pretty decent 'revisionist' zombie movie. not as good as Frankenstein's Army, but close.