Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Red posted:

Isn't the reality that most mutants in whichever universe just mostly look weird, but have no actual powers?

So, goons then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sentinel Red posted:

Huh, I didn't catch that Dr Crusher is playing Rachel, usually good at spotting voices. Speaking of voices, it's hilarious how many other characters Jen Hale voiced this series, she certainly put in some work.

Hey, union rules say she can do 3 characters in am episode without getting paid again, gotta get their money's worth

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
We have a a nice chart of Omega Levels

Gambit briefly got his ability boosted to Omega level but it was from outside sources and he didn’t keep the power up.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

He had it reduced by an outside source, Sinister cut on his brain to get his powers under control. Default Gambit is blowing up planets and travelling through time and poo poo.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Wasn't Jubilee considered an Omega level at one point?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

MH Knights posted:

Wasn't Jubilee considered an Omega level at one point?

She generated a nuclear explosion in X-Terminators, that's gotta move you up the ladder a little

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I thought the original omega level mutants were able to manipulate matter or reality, which was why Magento or Icreman were Omega Level threats and Professor X wasn't.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It's all pretty arbitrary comic book bullshit really and I say that with some affection, it's just pointless to get too caught up in it.

If a writer has a new idea for an application of powers or even a "secondary mutation" then they'll just do it and gin up the explanation afterwards. It's ultimately just the writers going "what is rad as gently caress" and escalating over the years.

Mooseontheloose posted:

I thought the original omega level mutants were able to manipulate matter or reality, which was why Magento or Icreman were Omega Level threats and Professor X wasn't.

This is a good example cause yeah that initial explanation/categorisation might work well enough but then Prof X can at some points control everyone on earth or make them perceive reality differently, or kill them all if he wants. Or control any other mutant and use their powers, so then do you have to give him some other classification or what? (also you could be cute and say he can totally manipulate matter, brain matter!)

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

It all falls apart if you try to apply any logic to it. Magneto is the MASTER OF MAGNETISM, which should allow him to just render atoms to pieces, given that protons can be influenced by magnetic fields. So, you know, he'd be a walking matter-destruction-machine, but it's cooler that he just warps metal and so forth. He's still extremely powerful as portrayed, he can even fly for some loving reason, the Earth's magnetic field isn't strong enough for that, but who cares, it's cool that he flies.

The telepaths are a different mine-field, since those powers are completely divorced from reality.

The Fantastic Four are the example for good super-heroing, IMO. Ben is the big dude who is literally a rock and punches things really hard, Reed has bendy powers that don't really make sense from a conservation of matter and energy point of view, but fine. Sue makes magic force fields and can be invisible, invisibility is a thing everyone understands. And Johnny can light himself on fire, and fly.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
also worth noting that a lot of X-Men have had significant power creep since the 80s.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

i have not stopped laughing at this since last night

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Why wouldn't you call him Soupneto?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
That's just the milk guy from Misfits

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Why wouldn't you call him Soupneto?

Because his name is SOUP MAGNETO.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015
SOUP MAGNETO and his greatest enemy, the SOUP NAZI

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

AJA posted:

SOUP MAGNETO: No, soup for you

(A soup sickle bores into SOUP NAZI, killing him)

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Oh! They got this all screwed up.

No. Soup for you!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Spacebump posted:

also worth noting that a lot of X-Men have had significant power creep since the 80s.

I find it hilarious that Cypher had major power creep, which ended up being largely unnecessary when the world pretty much caught up to him (with the minor adjustment that he could interface with computers, after a bunch of comic book nonsense happened).

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Rarity posted:

That's just the milk guy from Misfits

Still one of my favourite examples of going from 'well that's lame' to 'well that's terrifying' faster than a Ferrari.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TwoPair posted:

She generated a nuclear explosion in X-Terminators, that's gotta move you up the ladder a little

But that would normally kill her in the process. Also as the chart mentioned there are things that can already do that.

thebardyspoon posted:

This is a good example cause yeah that initial explanation/categorisation might work well enough but then Prof X can at some points control everyone on earth or make them perceive reality differently, or kill them all if he wants. Or control any other mutant and use their powers, so then do you have to give him some other classification or what? (also you could be cute and say he can totally manipulate matter, brain matter!)

Xavier is considered an Alpha Level the class just below Omega. He's still probably the most adept and skilled Telepath on earth. He's pretty much just not Omega level because Jean and Quire have more outright telepathic power than he does.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 19, 2024

roffles
Dec 25, 2004

Rappaport posted:

The Fantastic Four are the example for good super-heroing, IMO. Ben is the big dude who is literally a rock and punches things really hard, Reed has bendy powers that don't really make sense from a conservation of matter and energy point of view, but fine. Sue makes magic force fields and can be invisible, invisibility is a thing everyone understands. And Johnny can light himself on fire, and fly.

I think it's pretty funny that they do a 180 with Franklin Richards and it's like ok he's just an 'I win' button

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

AJA posted:

Lol, but comic fans would endlessly debate the definition of soup just like the hot dog = sandwich discource

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Flinger posted:

Lol, but comic fans would endlessly debate the definition of soup just like the hot dog = sandwich discource

Just entertaining that thought makes my blood start to boil

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

roffles posted:

I think it's pretty funny that they do a 180 with Franklin Richards and it's like ok he's just an 'I win' button

I think he's depowered now.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So when does X-Men '97 introduce the greatest character, X-Man

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

So when does X-Men '97 introduce the greatest character, Xorn

But seriously...

FlamingLiberal posted:

So when does X-Men '97 introduce the greatest character, Rockslide

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's a bit early for Xorn to show up

Vakal
May 11, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's a bit early for Xorn to show up

Dust was listed on the board so it looks like they are willing to dip into the Morrison pool of mutants.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think he's depowered now.

Nope, he's so powerful that he shut his own power down so that can have a normal life and then wiped his mind so that he doesn't remember doing it. He allows to power to return and for himself to remember once a year so that he can monitor how the multiverse that he recreated is doing but then he's back to being normal.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Flinger posted:

When you think about it isn’t a human being soup

1. Mostly liquid
2. Warm
3. Salty

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

FlamingLiberal posted:

So when does X-Men '97 introduce the greatest character, Maggott

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
No, not Xorn please God. The cartoon has done a good job of walking the fine line between good and evil for Magneto. I'm not here for "mad old terrorist twat" Magneto even if it did get retconned into being someone else.

If we are doing 90s characters I did like Cecelia Reyes quite a bit.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Maggot was shown in ep 1. That’s enough I think.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

MokBa posted:

When you think about it isn’t a human being soup

1. Mostly liquid
2. Warm
3. Salty

A lot of super powered folks could turn other people into soup, but there is a brief, painful moment in between person and soup.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Sloth Life posted:

No, not Xorn please God. The cartoon has done a good job of walking the fine line between good and evil for Magneto. I'm not here for "mad old terrorist twat" Magneto even if it did get retconned into being someone else.

If we are doing 90s characters I did like Cecelia Reyes quite a bit.

Xorn could work if they red herring it and make it someone else, like Sinister or even as a way to bring back Bastion.

It just hit me that Grant Morrison redid the whole Xorn thing with Oberon Sexton when he wrote Batman. Another mysterious, masked ally to the heroes who turns out to be the long-missing main antagonist in disguise.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think Selene is the most prominent X villain that didn't show up in the original show, so I could see her showing up at some point.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Red posted:

They can't all be omega-level mutants.

Isn't the reality that most mutants in whichever universe just mostly look weird, but have no actual powers?

Somewhere in the krakoa era the best description was something like 'the average level of powers was 'slightly hallucinogenic body odor' '

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
As others have said the real answer to the omega thing is 'whatever fits the current story', but having said that, in the early days of the current Krakoa run of comics, I think it's Keiron Gillen who attempts to nail down what 'omega mutant' means in a once and for all kind of way, which is to say that there's no upper limit to their power.

The example given is something like Magneto could in theory one day have complete dominion over all magnetic fields across the universe - whereas someone like Forge is very good at machines but it's possible an even bigger nerd coming along who is even better and who doesn't even need to be a mutant to do so. Or Storm's control of the weather can only ever become more powerful, whereas Nightcrawler is always just gonna be a dude who teleports, even if he can teleport really far. So it's more about whether the fundamental nature of their power is set up in a way where it could infinitely grow stronger in all directions.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

The Grumbles posted:

Or Storm's control of the weather can only ever become more powerful, whereas Nightcrawler is always just gonna be a dude who teleports, even if he can teleport really far. So it's more about whether the fundamental nature of their power is set up in a way where it could infinitely grow stronger in all directions.

seems like a difficult to place line

like nightcrawler could keep increasing the distance he could travel and the amount of people and things he can teleport with him until he's able to go hopping around the universe dropping populated planets into stars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's also weird to me that Eden Fesi isn't on that list.