Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

blarzgh posted:

Individual states have abandoned property statutes for how many days, and whether you give notice or something, but I expect there would be some kind of executive order about federal ownership of all abandoned military chattels saying, "This belongs to the US Govt now."

Or it's a tax free property aquisition, in some places.

E: Snyped like a BT :blyat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

dpkg chopra posted:

We're thinking of selling the family condo. It's rented right now and the tenant was found by the broker we hired.

I'm pretty sure the tenant would be interested in buying the condo.

The listing agreement states that if we renew the lease we owe the broker a commission on the renewal, but there is absolutely no language regarding what happens if we sell the condo to the tenant.

Does anyone know if the broker would have any right to a commission if we offered the condo directly to the tenant? This is in Florida, btw.

i feel like this rarely works out. People who rent usually don't have the means to turn around and pay top dollar for the property.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

daslog posted:

i feel like this rarely works out. People who rent usually don't have the means to turn around and pay top dollar for the property.

People rent for a lot of different reasons. It's not uncommon to rent for job mobility for a while before settling down somewhere, or to significantly increase your earnings in your twenties and then be able to buy. I'd say that most people I know rented into their late twenties then bought a house or condo.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
It’s not like we’re doing a rent to own thing, I imagine he’d take out a mortgage, lol, dude makes quite a bit of money and had excellent credit score last time he renewed.

In any case, I’ll check with the lawyer who would likely handle closing. Thanks.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
I bought the condo I rented when my landlord said he was thinking of selling (he had bought it in 2008 and was severely underwater). It happens.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 27, 2023

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

A coworker of mine and their husband divorced a few years back. No minor kids, so splitting up finances and assets was uneventful. My coworker was the defendant. The plaintiff husband had a restraining order granted against my coworker as part of the settlement.

Are restraining orders routinely granted as part of a divorce, or for any reason NOT related to harassment, abuse, etc?

IANAL, I just watch a lot of court youtubes.
in genera no.. you can't just get an order of protection for no reason. Even a Temporary order of protection (restraining order) requires you to provide some kind of reason for it. Then they set a hearing for when the judge has a block of time to see if there's merit to grant an actual order of protection for x period of time.

The defendant in this case did something.. showed up at work yelling, showed up at the house yelling, keyed a car, called constantly etc to get that court order to prevent them from contacting the plaintiff.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
How much does it cost to take the bar? I have a friend graduating law school this year and she just said she’s going to delay taking the bar for a bit because it’s expensive. Is it really that much? In VA if it matters.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
It’s a grand in FL plus the extra couple grand you have for a bar prep course.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Outrail posted:

I realize this is a huge 'it depends', but is there a common answer to the legality of people selling abandoned enemy military equipment?

Like if North America was invaded by the Lichtenstein-Iceland alliance and they left a tank or APC in my field or some crown land is it finders keepers or what?

Well, while it doesn’t address selling it specifically, the Ukrainian anti-corruption regulator wants Ukrainian public servants to know they don’t have to declare captured tanks as income. https://en.interfax.com.ua/news/general/804441.html

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I recall us talking about specific performance and how it usually can't be guaranteed across ownership transfers.
(I can't demand that you can't paint the house purple after you buy it from me/the 100acre wood must be kept public access b/c the trails are nice)

Is there a way to force the new owner of anything to do something after the ownership has tranisiton/sale has closed?

in this specific hypothetical i have in mind, the Detroit Tigers were owned by Mike Ilitch.
Mike always had a policy of keeping some number (lets say 10%) of tickets at $20/cheap seats/poverty accessible, b/c in his mind sports are for everyone in the town.
He died, and his son took over. the policy is still there because it's good PR, but not guaranteed.

Could the team/company be structured in such a way that after he dies/sells the club would always maintain "cheap seats for the people?"
Or is nothing set in stone, and if the board/owner wants to change, then poof, "don't be evil/always have cheap seats" is gone?

America obviously, but what about the EU/UK too?

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Taking the bar costs a bit, but there's the larger cost of bar prep and a few months of lost income for first time takers because they have to spend all day studying

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

No

euphronius fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Oct 27, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Pirate Captain posted:

How much does it cost to take the bar? I have a friend graduating law school this year and she just said she’s going to delay taking the bar for a bit because it’s expensive. Is it really that much? In VA if it matters.

Thousands of dollars plus hundreds of hours

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I would not delay if I were her. Law school knowledge is tested on the bar

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
So my wife's having an issue with her job screwing her out of some money and I'm not sure who we should talk to to try and get some help.

She is an air force civilian in Alabama and there hads been a long series of coworkers being problems but now it had hit her paycheck. She was given a form of tenure (it's a bit different than academic tenure, it's more of a rolling reappointment), along with four other men. It turns out that someone didn't apply it to her and it wasn't discovered until a reappointment deadline came up at the end of the year. The four men had no such issue.

It was a scramble and a headache to try and get things fixed. It seemed like it was. Everything was put in place and should've been good but come late January, she didn't get paid. She was still charged her benefits payments though, so it looks like she owes the government money. Her male coworker, whose reappointment was in the same email as hers had no such issue. What's worse is that $70,000 worth of leave is gone now too. She has received paychecks after that missing one but that one has no been fulfilled yet and she is still being incorrectly docked money for the benefits issue from the missing period.

It's been a month and someone in payroll tossed a little bit of money on the last check but it doesn't cover the missing period and there's still that benefit deficit being taken out of checks. There seems to be a systemic issue at play here and we don't know how to get this fixed. None of the people she works with are doing anything to fix this. I'm not sure if it's worth getting a lawyer for a single paycheck but is there maybe something to the systemic issues at hand? Any advice would be useful.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

FrumpleOrz posted:

She is an air force civilian

Document everything, drop it off in person on the Inspector General's desk.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

toplitzin posted:

I recall us talking about specific performance and how it usually can't be guaranteed across ownership transfers.
(I can't demand that you can't paint the house purple after you buy it from me/the 100acre wood must be kept public access b/c the trails are nice)

Is there a way to force the new owner of anything to do something after the ownership has tranisiton/sale has closed?

in this specific hypothetical i have in mind, the Detroit Tigers were owned by Mike Ilitch.
Mike always had a policy of keeping some number (lets say 10%) of tickets at $20/cheap seats/poverty accessible, b/c in his mind sports are for everyone in the town.
He died, and his son took over. the policy is still there because it's good PR, but not guaranteed.

Could the team/company be structured in such a way that after he dies/sells the club would always maintain "cheap seats for the people?"
Or is nothing set in stone, and if the board/owner wants to change, then poof, "don't be evil/always have cheap seats" is gone?

America obviously, but what about the EU/UK too?

you can contract for whatever you want, i ca absolutely demand you paint my house purple after i sell it to you. the odds are, however, the court awards damages instead of making me do it if i breach.

you could just make that a condition of the contract, and specify the damages for breach are the value of the seats minus $20, plus legal fees etc, to be paid to a trust that would then provide the seats to people.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

toplitzin posted:

You can absolutely create a conservation easement that requires public access to a trail system if you want to.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

FrumpleOrz posted:

So my wife's having an issue with her job screwing her out of some money and I'm not sure who we should talk to to try and get some help.

She is an air force civilian in Alabama and there hads been a long series of coworkers being problems but now it had hit her paycheck. She was given a form of tenure (it's a bit different than academic tenure, it's more of a rolling reappointment), along with four other men. It turns out that someone didn't apply it to her and it wasn't discovered until a reappointment deadline came up at the end of the year. The four men had no such issue.

It was a scramble and a headache to try and get things fixed. It seemed like it was. Everything was put in place and should've been good but come late January, she didn't get paid. She was still charged her benefits payments though, so it looks like she owes the government money. Her male coworker, whose reappointment was in the same email as hers had no such issue. What's worse is that $70,000 worth of leave is gone now too. She has received paychecks after that missing one but that one has no been fulfilled yet and she is still being incorrectly docked money for the benefits issue from the missing period.

It's been a month and someone in payroll tossed a little bit of money on the last check but it doesn't cover the missing period and there's still that benefit deficit being taken out of checks. There seems to be a systemic issue at play here and we don't know how to get this fixed. None of the people she works with are doing anything to fix this. I'm not sure if it's worth getting a lawyer for a single paycheck but is there maybe something to the systemic issues at hand? Any advice would be useful.

Since it seems like she's a federal employee and you are implying discriminatory treatment due to her sex, know that you only have *45 days* to contact an agency EEO official to begin that process. If it's an ongoing problem you might be able to argue that the violation has renewed this window of time.

Because $70k of leave is apparently at stake, i think this would be worth contacting an attorney who specializes in FEDERAL employment law (different skill set than private sector) at the same time you escalate the complaints internally

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

FrumpleOrz posted:

You don't mention if she's in a bargaining unit but if she is, contact the union tomorrow.

Also, there is a whole federal jobs thread that you should crosspost to:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3324421

Leviathan Song fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 4, 2022

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Hey, thanks for all of the help everyone. It had been a frustrating month. We finally got something moving today too. It took something a little extreme but it found the buffoon holding things up. Hopefully some disciplinary action will be performed on that end. We'll see if we can figure out the more systemic issues at play.

Thanks again for taking the time to read the original post and giving us some leads.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
A work colleague is getting harassed via multiple online platforms with content that is sexual in nature. She knows the accuser and their address - out of state. Police reports filed in the alleged harasser's town, but it seems like nothing was acted on. Victim is a resident of Texas, her alleged harasser is a resident of Wisconsin. Should she work with a lawyer in his locale to get a restraining order - and what are the realistic enforcements of this should it be granted and/or violated?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

TheBuilder posted:

A work colleague is getting harassed via multiple online platforms with content that is sexual in nature. She knows the accuser and their address - out of state. Police reports filed in the alleged harasser's town, but it seems like nothing was acted on. Victim is a resident of Texas, her alleged harasser is a resident of Wisconsin. Should she work with a lawyer in his locale to get a restraining order - and what are the realistic enforcements of this should it be granted and/or violated?

Round up some buddies and... oh this is the legal thread nm

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

TheBuilder posted:

Yes, find a lawyer in WI and ask if he can help get a restraining order. Any family law attorney should be able to answer if he's the right person. Every state is different with a different standard of things to prove before a judge will grant one, so a lawyers help is important.

In my experience those restraining orders were very well enforced, with real jail time and felony convictions.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

So I work in a medical office on a main road, with large windows facing into our waiting area directly adjacent to a sidewalk. Yesterday, we had a couple of 1st amendment auditors decide to be confrontational jackasses and film directly into our office. We had no clue what was going on at first, and wound up calling the cops (which is obviously what they wanted, in retrospect) when it seemed like they were exclusively following one of the women in the office with their cameras and being weird, creepy, and kind of ominous. Their rationale to the officer (who evidently had run-ins with them before) is that there is an unlimited right to film ANYTHING that can be seen from public space.

They are obviously gone now (and we now get to have a safety protocol if they return, joy), but how accurate is their statement to the actual fact of law? Jurisdiction is Michigan, in case that matters

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Outrail posted:

Round up some buddies and... oh this is the legal thread nm

I think in both Texas and Wisconsin it is legal to shoot somebody for any reason or no reason at all.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

SkunkDuster posted:

I think in both Texas and Wisconsin it is legal to shoot somebody for any reason or no reason at all.

At will deployment?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

mercenarynuker posted:

So I work in a medical office on a main road, with large windows facing into our waiting area directly adjacent to a sidewalk. Yesterday, we had a couple of 1st amendment auditors decide to be confrontational jackasses and film directly into our office.

A non-legal thought is that removable window film is not super expensive. And, you know, removable.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

AlbieQuirky posted:

A non-legal thought is that removable window film is not super expensive. And, you know, removable.

Yes but only if you can preprint it with hundreds of hands flipping the bird.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Believe it or not, we actually have someone coming out sometime to measure for something just like that, and we initially thought it was this dude doing some kind of like laser measurement or something

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Doesn't matter if their statement about the law is accurate or not, those are the types of people who spoil for a fight and are unbelievable pains in the rear end to litigate against. That's even before some bigoted republican PAC steps in to fund their lawyers and put you on the news as enemies of babies everywhere.

Don't ever bring a lawsuit against someone who's sole goal was to get you to sue them. Best bet is ignore them, or up window shades and a big fence, and let them go away.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Hypothetical, Just kind of curious.

Would a statement like
"Please return my deposit by X date or I will be filing in small claims court" be considered extortion?
I mean it fits the description of "Give me [thing] or I'll do [thing you don't want me to do]"

It's less egregious than lets say "give me $1,000 or I'lll tell your wife you're cheating on her and show pictures" which is obviously extortion.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

tater_salad posted:

Hypothetical, Just kind of curious.

Would a statement like
"Please return my deposit by X date or I will be filing in small claims court" be considered extortion?
I mean it fits the description of "Give me [thing] or I'll do [thing you don't want me to do]"

It's less egregious than lets say "give me $1,000 or I'lll tell your wife you're cheating on her and show pictures" which is obviously extortion.

Here is how FL statutorily defines extortion:

quote:

836.05 Threats; extortion.—Whoever, either verbally or by a written or printed communication, maliciously threatens to accuse another of any crime or offense, or by such communication maliciously threatens an injury to the person, property or reputation of another, or maliciously threatens to expose another to disgrace, or to expose any secret affecting another, or to impute any deformity or lack of chastity to another, with intent thereby to extort money or any pecuniary advantage whatsoever, or with intent to compel the person so threatened, or any other person, to do any act or refrain from doing any act against his or her will, shall be guilty of a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

Your first situation is not a threat of crime, injury, or exposure of a disgrace. It is not at all extortion to demand your deposit back with the promise to sue if they do not followthrough. You are legally entitled your deposit. The method varies by jurisdiction, though.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
What if the underlying intent is to drag them through court so it becomes public they're a dirtbag who doesn't pay their bills?

Wouldn't 'Tell your wife you're cheating on her or I will' fit that description?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Outrail posted:

What if the underlying intent is to drag them through court so it becomes public they're a dirtbag who doesn't pay their bills?

Wouldn't 'Tell your wife you're cheating on her or I will' fit that description?

If you’re dragging them into court to pay you money they owe you, that’s not at all the same as a criminal threat.

A promise to exercising your lawful remedies, such as suing someone who owes you money, is not criminal.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
If you said “pay me the money you owe me or I’ll tell everyone you cheated on your wife” then you have committed an offense. Telling someone “pay me or I’ll take you to court” is just a standard demand. Lawyers send letters like that all the time to people.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

^^ right I know but when I heard extortion described some way of "If you dont do x I'll do Y" would kind of fit, which is why I asked about it.

Outrail posted:

I know i'm the asker and obviously not a laywer as showcased in my post.. but I'd say the part "with intent thereby to extort money or any pecuniary advantage whatsoever, " doesn't fit your situation. You're not really trying to get an advantage in that sutuation.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Outrail posted:

No, because the actual action in the end is the same; their wife is being informed of the infidelity, which is actually a decent analogy for getting your deposit back. "Tell your wife you're cheating on her or I'll seduce her myself to get even" seems closer, since you're threatening to make good on your loss by performing a similar action, but "gently caress me or I'll tell your wife you're cheating, whether you actually are or not" would seem to be actual extortion. Similar to creeps who entice kids to send them compromising pictures, and then use those pictures as a threat to extort more out of them.

In summary, stop loving my wife, Ross, you home wrecking piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Volmarias posted:

In summary, stop loving my wife, Ross, you home wrecking piece of poo poo.

We’re in love, please allow your wife this one happiness.