Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Annath posted:

Eventually I want to work in either infectious disease or emergency medicine, because I want to spend some time working with Doctors Without Borders.
Emory has an ER-specialized FNP program, fwiw. Dovetails fairly well with both of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Ravenfood posted:

Emory has an ER-specialized FNP program, fwiw. Dovetails fairly well with both of those.

Interesting. I'll have to look into this.

I've wanted to go to Hopkins since before I graduated high school tho, so its kinda my first choice.

Risky
May 18, 2003

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

I highly suggest the Hurst review for NCLEX prep. I graduated and spent two weeks preparing for the test the way Marlene told me to and had absolutely no trouble. Despite the fact that I had a series of panic attacks the night before and slept for roughly three hours, I still finished the NCLEX in an hour just 82 questions into the thing.

Where do I find this? Book or class?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Risky posted:

Where do I find this? Book or class?

Class. The book by itself is kind of worthless as it does not really teach you the techniques they are trying to teach.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

To pad my PA school resume, I'm going to CNA school next month and will work while I finish up some prereqs.

Just how bad can being a CNA be?

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

FizFashizzle posted:

To pad my PA school resume, I'm going to CNA school next month and will work while I finish up some prereqs.

Depends on where you go and probably worse than you expect.

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

zebras can have spots too
If you manage to make it into an acute care hospital, you might learn basics of nursing processes and some common pathways for diseases.

If you work at a SNF, you will learn how disgusting old people who play with their poop can be.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Jamais Vu Again posted:

If you work at a SNF, you will learn how disgusting old people who play with their poop can be.

And how neglected they usually are.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

FizFashizzle posted:

I don't have any health care experience.

Last week I helped clean up a butt filled with c.diff poop while I held a basin for him to puke in. Today I watched two people puke. One of my classmates helped a guy who fell out of his bed while having diarrhea. He described the scene as looking like "ten guys came into the room, pooped everywhere, and nine of them left." It wasn't really an issue for me, andI haven't even dealt with the really gross stuff yet, but if any of that sounds like too much for you, you'll be dealing with it for your entire shift as a CNA. Do PA schools care about anything besides patient hours and grades? Does scribing count? Also C.diff smell.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

$330 for my CFRN testing.

I suppose I should pass it on the first go around.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Is anyone on here IBCLC Certified? I'm trying to figure out if I can get this done while I am in school.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

White Chocolate posted:

Is anyone on here IBCLC Certified? I'm trying to figure out if I can get this done while I am in school.

doesn't look like it's possible if you're in school and requires a large amount of worked hours/education prior to attempting the cert.

criteria: http://iblce.org/certify/eligibility-criteria/

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

MurderBot posted:

doesn't look like it's possible if you're in school and requires a large amount of worked hours/education prior to attempting the cert.

criteria: http://iblce.org/certify/eligibility-criteria/

Yeah I was looking at that and then I just thought I'd poll the thread.

Koala Food
Nov 16, 2010

Okay yeah, y'all were right. The tutorial before the NCLEX was harder than the test itself.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Koala Food posted:

Okay yeah, y'all were right. The tutorial before the NCLEX was harder than the test itself.

How'd you end up prepping? Just uworld? Congrats!

I'm in the last slog through of this final semester. One pharmacology final left, and a MedSurg Exam on Friday and the final a week from next monday. Strangely nothing in between besides a strange presentation and one final clinical day. Nursing school is really weird. Then Psych, Peds and OB in the summer which will be jam packed.

LoveMeDead
Feb 16, 2011

Annath posted:

I wanna go NP. I'm finishing my BSN this fall, and because I hate myself I'm thinking I'm going straight to NP school.

I'm hoping to get in on the ground floor of Johns Hopkins new DNP program, since they'll be accepting BSN candidates.

Eventually I want to work in either infectious disease or emergency medicine, because I want to spend some time working with Doctors Without Borders.

I think it's awesome that NPs can work independently, but there absolutely should be a residency/interning requirement.

I'd be loving terrified of the idea of being someone's primary care provider fresh out of a doctoral program.

I suggest getting a year or so experience before going to NP school. The nursing skills and patient care aspect are very helpful.

As far as residency/interning, I need 675 clinical hours to get my masters. It is another 450 hours to get my doctorate. And the program through Frontier is now a direct to DNP program where we earn our master's along the way and can test and start practicing as a FNP while we do the rest of the DNP program. I have been working full time, but it's killing me now that I'm in clinical. I'm going PRN in August. The program does all of the didactic work before you start clinical, so there is minimal coursework while you are in clinical which is nice.

I'm about 200 hours into my clinical time, and I'm almost interdependently seeing patients in the clinic right now. My preceptor comes in at the end and answers any questions and orders any medications. It's basically an internship, I'm practicing with minimal supervision. I also have 5 years nursing experience, so I'm pretty comfortable with talking with patients. And I work in an ER and CCU, so I observe a lot of practitioner/patient interactions which is very helpful.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
I'm just waiting for NP and CRNA wages to take a dive as the market gets saturated.

Thats why I'm gonna be a union guy till I die.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Roki B posted:

I'm just waiting for NP and CRNA wages to take a dive as the market gets saturated.

Thats why I'm gonna be a union guy till I die.

Read that as CNA...lol.

I don't think we can ever reach enough providers to reach saturation and aren't NPs a little too high up the food chain to need a union?

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Our CRNAs are unionized even though they make an incredible amount of money, much more than our NPs who are not union.

Koala Food
Nov 16, 2010

Iron Lung posted:

How'd you end up prepping? Just uworld? Congrats!

I'm in the last slog through of this final semester. One pharmacology final left, and a MedSurg Exam on Friday and the final a week from next monday. Strangely nothing in between besides a strange presentation and one final clinical day. Nursing school is really weird. Then Psych, Peds and OB in the summer which will be jam packed.

Uworld and the LaCharity prioritization book. Thanks.

I *might* get to start in two weeks instead of the two months I was expecting. Guess I should start looking for shoes...

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

I work at an LTACH right now and feel like I'm not being paid poo poo to be brutalized by my job. I'm honestly considering applying to a local RN staffing agency when I have my year of experience if I don't have a job offer from a legitimate unit at one of the local hospitals. Has anyone had experience doing this before? I'm waiting to hear about my acceptance to CNM school and if I get in I think the ability to make my own hours working agency would be awesome. I'm also told that they get paid a poo poo ton which makes sense because the demand is high so they've got to pay a premium for the supply.

As someone who is already given the worst assignments because I tend to manage it better than my coworkers, I'd rather get poo poo on at a variety of places for more money. Thoughts?

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
Without experience in the relevant area you may find it very difficult to join a staffing agency for anything other that LTAC.

That being said, gtfo of ltac

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Roki B posted:

Without experience in the relevant area you may find it very difficult to join a staffing agency for anything other that LTAC.

That being said, gtfo of ltac

Yeah I'm not in LTAC because it's my passion. I'm there because its the only job I could get as a new grad and I need to eat. I'd be out already if I could.

It's a bit hard to describe my facility but we basically do Med-Surg, IMCU, and ICU all in the same place. It's not a SNF by a long shot, we're still a hospital. I think that would at least qualify me for Med-Surg and IMCU. I don't know if my facility is like other LTACH's but we see basically every kind of adult patient possible. So I really have got a lot of cardiac, pulmonary, neuro, and ortho experience. My workplace is essentially like a nursing trial by fire where, when you get out, you have a lot of weird knowledge and skills someone from a more specific floor wouldn't have. Which I think would benefit me in an agency position.

That being said, when my facility brings in agency nurses they are always just godawful and incompetent so I feel like they're not really setting the bar too loving high. Like if I give a med I'll be better than 50% of the people they employ. And they still get paid $20 more per hour than me so you can see why I want in on that poo poo show.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Who is an NP here? Are NP board questions as stupid as nclex questions?

So my school was the #1 school for nclex passing a few years ago and I am beginning to think it was because they weeded out all the weak ones with stupid loving questions. I just want to know if NP school is going to be like this.

Also yeah. I came into this semester wanting to do OB as my #2 choice(I am a dude) and now it is like nope. I mean I love it but totally female and I had to have a lady student when I did my assessments in the room. And most of them sucked at it.... :sludgepal:

LoveMeDead
Feb 16, 2011

White Chocolate posted:

So my school was the #1 school for nclex passing a few years ago and I am beginning to think it was because they weeded out all the weak ones with stupid loving questions. I just want to know if NP school is going to be like this.

Also yeah. I came into this semester wanting to do OB as my #2 choice(I am a dude) and now it is like nope. I mean I love it but totally female and I had to have a lady student when I did my assessments in the room. And most of them sucked at it.... :sludgepal:

Not an NP yet, but I've heard that both of the exams for FNP are much easier than the NCLEX. As far as testing, I've had to write a TON of papers. And the exam questions have tended to be more straightforward. I guess they figure that we already think like nurses, and the papers are there to evaluate critical thinking.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
I've got an upperclassman who's a dude and is totally rocking as an OB nurse who is absolutely adored by his patients, so there's hope buddy.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I was never particularly interested in OB stuff, but I was still a little sad that myself and the other guy nursing students were treated absolutely terribly by the staff where we had our OB clinical. Like, the female students weren't treated great, it was clear the staff didn't like students in general, but they went out of their way to belittle us guys and made us feel super awkward in that setting.

A lot of us, guys and girls, complained, and last I heard the college's response was "we agree, but there are only a handful of local hospitals, and this particular L&D unit is the only one that will take students at all."

Actually, from talking to coworkers, L&D nurses have kind of a bad rep all around, as primadonnas who act overly important, especially compared to mother/baby unit nurses.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Annath posted:

Actually, from talking to coworkers, L&D nurses have kind of a bad rep all around, as primadonnas who act overly important...

Yeaup. In my last hospital they were considered critical care.

But still called the rapid response team. :rolleyes:

Risky
May 18, 2003

Annath posted:

I was never particularly interested in OB stuff, but I was still a little sad that myself and the other guy nursing students were treated absolutely terribly by the staff where we had our OB clinical. Like, the female students weren't treated great, it was clear the staff didn't like students in general, but they went out of their way to belittle us guys and made us feel super awkward in that setting.

A lot of us, guys and girls, complained, and last I heard the college's response was "we agree, but there are only a handful of local hospitals, and this particular L&D unit is the only one that will take students at all."

Actually, from talking to coworkers, L&D nurses have kind of a bad rep all around, as primadonnas who act overly important, especially compared to mother/baby unit nurses.

I lucked out for my OB clinical. Every day was completely dead which was fine because I have zero interest in OB poo poo. There was one day where we had one patient who just delivered and I was still welcomed to hold and assess the baby. The patient and the nurses were really nice to me even though I'm a male. That was the most we did though, that particular unit was super dead the two weeks we were there so I spent more time on the nurse station computer just doing clinical paperwork.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

To be the voice of dissent, I had an amazing L&D rotation with fantastic nurses who went out of their way to teach. They had me holding legs, inserting straight caths, reading fetal heart rate tracings, etc. I haven't had as much hands on experience in any clinical as I got in L&D. This was at Stanford, though, so they set a pretty high bar. We've had really great sites, although our psych placement has been a joke.

I can't wait to start NP school next year.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Annath posted:

From the three hospitals I've worked at, all the L&D departments have been like that. I'd rather deal with ED nurses, and that says something.

Risky
May 18, 2003

Hughmoris posted:

I'd rather deal with ED nurses, and that says something.

ED nurses are the best drat teachers I've had in clinicals. I learned more in a week in the ED than I ever did on med surg.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Risky posted:

ED nurses are the best drat teachers I've had in clinicals. I learned more in a week in the ED than I ever did on med surg.

Oh god I hope that is true for me, because MedSurg has been a drat slog. I got to spend 1 day in the pre-op/OR/PACU which was awesome (well the OR was at least), and 1 day in PCU with another this week which was also really interesting, but in general it has been really really boring. It doesn't help that our clinical instructor has told us she also hated medsurg as a student, so it makes it really easy to dislike. The nurse I was shadowing both days also interviewed for and got a different job half way through my second shift with her, and it was clear she also strongly disliked it.

Now I have psych, OB, and peds for the summer and then critical care in the fall. Just 4 more months to get to the stuff I'm really excited about.

Risky
May 18, 2003

Iron Lung posted:

Oh god I hope that is true for me, because MedSurg has been a drat slog. I got to spend 1 day in the pre-op/OR/PACU which was awesome (well the OR was at least), and 1 day in PCU with another this week which was also really interesting, but in general it has been really really boring. It doesn't help that our clinical instructor has told us she also hated medsurg as a student, so it makes it really easy to dislike. The nurse I was shadowing both days also interviewed for and got a different job half way through my second shift with her, and it was clear she also strongly disliked it.

Now I have psych, OB, and peds for the summer and then critical care in the fall. Just 4 more months to get to the stuff I'm really excited about.

ED rotations depending on how busy really put you on the spot especially if you are shadowing a nurse that is busy. My attitude in clinical has always been, I'm there to work, learn, and leave the best impression I can to the best of my abilities. During my ED rotation I was paired up with this older seasoned female nurse who was super cool that let me do all her IV push meds, patient prepping, leads etc... and when it got really hectic just let me do complete admissions with my classmate. Then when it became less busy she started finding stuff I haven't done yet and walked me through the procedures while quizzing me on why I was doing it. Don't get me wrong I had some amazing med surg nurses but most of the stuff is routine med passes, assessments, and a whole lot of charting. Did plenty of that as an LPN so I found specialty areas much more exciting.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Risky posted:

ED rotations depending on how busy really put you on the spot especially if you are shadowing a nurse that is busy. My attitude in clinical has always been, I'm there to work, learn, and leave the best impression I can to the best of my abilities. During my ED rotation I was paired up with this older seasoned female nurse who was super cool that let me do all her IV push meds, patient prepping, leads etc... and when it got really hectic just let me do complete admissions with my classmate. Then when it became less busy she started finding stuff I haven't done yet and walked me through the procedures while quizzing me on why I was doing it. Don't get me wrong I had some amazing med surg nurses but most of the stuff is routine med passes, assessments, and a whole lot of charting. Did plenty of that as an LPN so I found specialty areas much more exciting.

Yeah I'm of the same mind, I work hard and am really enthusiastic despite the medsurg stuff being like you said, very routine. That being still I'm still brand new so it's all learning for me, I just don't think I'd ever want to work there. But lots of basic med, assessment, patient care and communication experience which has been really valuable. I had a "mini" elevator interview with their director of nursing the day I was on surgical, and my nurse said I passed so I guess that's a good sign that they like me! The facility itself has been absolutely fantastic, and I'm pretty sad that this week is my last clinical there. At least its on PCU again.

Anyone have tips for getting through psych and OB? Apparently they gave the last cohort of my program a lot of trouble.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Iron Lung posted:

Yeah I'm of the same mind, I work hard and am really enthusiastic despite the medsurg stuff being like you said, very routine. That being still I'm still brand new so it's all learning for me, I just don't think I'd ever want to work there. But lots of basic med, assessment, patient care and communication experience which has been really valuable. I had a "mini" elevator interview with their director of nursing the day I was on surgical, and my nurse said I passed so I guess that's a good sign that they like me! The facility itself has been absolutely fantastic, and I'm pretty sad that this week is my last clinical there. At least its on PCU again.

Anyone have tips for getting through psych and OB? Apparently they gave the last cohort of my program a lot of trouble.

Bourbon and sex.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

White Chocolate posted:

NP boards (ANCC) were a laughable joke. Easier than the NCLEX by an order of magnitude and just embarrassingly simple. The NCLEX felt brutal. The only thing I felt after NP boards was embarrassment for the test.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Heard the same thing.

NP school is pretty much a joke in and of itself isn't it? Was considering jumping into that ship since apparently that's "the thing to do"

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
/rant/

Well gently caress. Apparently I needed only 1 more point to pass this semester and they won't float me half a point to pass peds/ob. This after failing medsurg by 3 points and then transferring to this lovely school. I know the material inside and out and can apply it better than most of my classmates, I even got one of the girls in my study group from failing to 90s on her test by studying with her. I don't understand what more I could do to pass this class! I basically didn't work the whole semester, and studied full time like it was my job 40-70 hours a week.
/rant over/
They are giving me a chance to come back in december to take the course again. Option a, option b would be to transfer to a community college somewhere else where hopefully it is easier. Option c would be go back to school to become a linux server admin or something else not nursing. Argh! The effort that I am putting in to nursing school never seems to pay off.

Reasons not to go to nursing school.

Also I guarantee if I took the nclex I could pass it today. This is BS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
Maybe....

Git gud.

#darksouls.

If I could pass in a drunken stoned haze maybe you should get better at taking tests.