Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's a very salty type of pickle so I'd be surprised if anything happens to it.

As for the woks carbon steel is the material you want, but weight/handles/etc are all personal preference. Unless you have a proper wok burner or want to buy a stand, you'll be getting a flat bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I used to think I was terrible at Chinese cookery, but I always used a flat bottom wok on an electric stove. But when I got a wok burner and a 24 inch carbon steel wok holy cow did my game improve. I just cannot recommend enough the ability to blast that much heat at your food for those who have the wherewithal to do so.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I used to think I was terrible at Chinese cookery, but I always used a flat bottom wok on an electric stove. But when I got a wok burner and a 24 inch carbon steel wok holy cow did my game improve. I just cannot recommend enough the ability to blast that much heat at your food for those who have the wherewithal to do so.

electric stove is your biggest issue there. even induction is like 90% fine for chinese cookin.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

THE MACHO MAN posted:

diving back a bit here, how are the woks from this place? In the market for a new one and came across this. Is there any compelling reason I'd want one material over another?

also, how long is suimiyacai good for?

I have either 18 or 20" carbon steel one from them I think, but I don't recall the size. I use it regularly and it works great. Carbon steel or cast iron both have similar care requirements, so just depends what you want. The carbon steel will heat up faster, which will help. I do have a flat bottom one, but so long as I let it heat up far enough it works fine. My gas range does a good job at heating it quickly.

If you do order from there, they have knives that do a decent job. I just gave away my #3, so I use the #1 I have left. It's been interesting learning to cut with the cleaver style knife, but it's not really for everyone and is more an interesting tool.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Magna Kaser posted:

i made a bomb rear end gong bao chicken the other day that finally replicated my favorite restaurants in Chengdu, with a thick almost sweet sauce that sticks to everything and isn't sitting in a pool of oil and liquid.

The trick was to randomly do everything without measuring anything making it hard to replicate, but it was v good.

the one weird thing was I was out of dried chilies so I just added ground dried chilies I DID have with the aromatics. this made it spicier than it normally would be but was still v. nice.

Got a recipe?

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Jhet posted:

I have either 18 or 20" carbon steel one from them I think, but I don't recall the size. I use it regularly and it works great. Carbon steel or cast iron both have similar care requirements, so just depends what you want. The carbon steel will heat up faster, which will help. I do have a flat bottom one, but so long as I let it heat up far enough it works fine. My gas range does a good job at heating it quickly.

If you do order from there, they have knives that do a decent job. I just gave away my #3, so I use the #1 I have left. It's been interesting learning to cut with the cleaver style knife, but it's not really for everyone and is more an interesting tool.

Thank you!

Yeah whether to get a flat bottom one or a round + wok ring was the other thing I am debating. I have a pretty good gas range but nothing like industrial strength obviously

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I’d still get flat bottom unless you have a jet burner. They just don’t fit right and you waste a lot of the heat. I have a “wok” burner on my range and while it puts out around 20k BTU, I hesitate to call it an actual wok burner.

I’ll get a round bottom eventually for use outside with one of those propane burners maybe, but even the flat bottom one works better with it. It’s just a little unrealistic and while I use it a couple times a week, it’s not every day.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

its basically a combination of a bunch of recipes and expirimenting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEkVkT6IU9M

i really like this dude's channel for sichuan food especially cuz most of it tastes close to what I'm used to. the basic process here is super close to what I do and how I learned how to cook it from another chef.

one difference between what I did and his was the sauce, which I used more cornstarch and sugar and a little less salt to make it a little sweeter and thicker.

I also added a chopped up leek in with the aromatics because I'm used to giant leek chunks in it, i used less scallion as those were more for a green color/garnish towards the end.

I used white meat instead of thigh meat as well, but that's cuz here in China chicken breast meat is like half the price of leg/thigh and I'm cheap, but it's deffo better to use thigh for this.

The last, which I may do again, was my dried chilies were kinda weird so I didn't use them and used some crushed dried chili instead. I probably added too much but it added a lot of heat to the dish without makng me have to pick through 1000 dried chilies so that was plus for me (tbh gong bao chicken shouldn't really be too spicy, it's more of a sweet-ish dish usually).

One thing you can also do which I would have done if I had the ingredients was add a bunch of wosun/green bamboo to it which a lot of my favorite restaurants in Chengdu did. Apparently adding wosun to your gong bao chicken is a very divisive topic among sichuan chefs but I like it so whatevs.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Magna Kaser posted:

I used white meat instead of thigh meat as well, but that's cuz here in China chicken breast meat is like half the price of leg/thigh and I'm cheap, but it's deffo better to use thigh for this.

Whaaaaaat

China knows what's up. Leg quarters in the US are regularly on sale for like 69c/lb, uggo boneless skinless breast is rarely under 1.99. We also have megaboob chickens to maximize dem tendies

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Consistently the most expensive chicken cut in Chengdu was wing. Then leg and thigh, then breast.

Not complaining about thigh being so cheap in the US though. I wish people hadn't discovered stuff like pork belly and skirt steak and those were still cheap as poo poo too.

And I love I can get like three whole mackerel at the fish market for the price of a single salmon fillet.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I tried the ma po tofu from seriouseats and it was pretty good. https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/07/real-deal-mapo-dofu-tofu-chinese-sichuan-recipe.html maybe not the most 100% authentic but drat close. pity about the calorie count, I’d eat it every day.

actually I could just replace the tofu with eggplant or sth

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

In a weird coincidence, Chinese New Year is also Burns Night.

Everyone give me your best/worst ideas for Chinese-Scottish fusion dishes to inflict on my friends.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Dzhay posted:

Everyone give me your best/worst ideas for Chinese-Scottish fusion dishes to inflict on my friends.
You could probably just twiddle the knobs and get something like kung pao stovies, sweet and sour kedgeree, or rumbledethumps with bok choy or something, but if you wanted something classier I'd start out with something like a ginger-scallion seafood dish and adapt from there.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Dzhay posted:

haggis filling dumples

crispy duck with cucumber and scallions wrapped in a crepe then battered and deep fried

lotus root crisps

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

haggis filling dumples

I think this would be great. Heavy on the vinegar for the dipping sauce. But I love haggis.

Scotch eggs but the meat is lamb-chive dumping filling.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Deep fried choco pies (yes I know they're more originally associated with Korea)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Also I know there were some Ohio people lurking around here, I went to a place called NE Chinese near OSU today when I was in Columbus and goddamn. Absolutely spot on perfect Dongbei food, highly recommended.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Any easy hot and sour soup recipe?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Arglebargle III posted:

haggis filling dumples

crispy duck with cucumber and scallions wrapped in a crepe then battered and deep fried

lotus root crisps

Mooncakes with Irn-Bru sauce. Deep fried, of course.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

SubG posted:

... stovies ...kedgeree ...rumbledethumps

:hmmyes: I know not what any of these are

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Piggy Smalls posted:

Any easy hot and sour soup recipe?

Define easy: https://imgur.com/a/lFbl8

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Dzhay posted:

四川炒飯 haggis

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

worst i can think of that actually makes some sorta sense would be 拔丝mars bars but i think someone can outdo that. i mean that would end up being basically just a slightly sweeter deep fried mars bar. my teeth hurt thinking about a giant dongbei size plate of 15 of those though

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jan 4, 2020

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Szechuan Arbroath smokies???

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Grand Fromage posted:

Also I know there were some Ohio people lurking around here, I went to a place called NE Chinese near OSU today when I was in Columbus and goddamn. Absolutely spot on perfect Dongbei food, highly recommended.

This place is great. My friend from that area says it’s the closest to his home town’s food he’s had, even beating out what he’s had in LA. Have you tried Fortune or Helen’s for Sichuan by the way?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Nickoten posted:

This place is great. My friend from that area says it’s the closest to his home town’s food he’s had, even beating out what he’s had in LA. Have you tried Fortune or Helen’s for Sichuan by the way?

I have not, but I'll be in Columbus a few more times this month and plan to check out Fortune. Another Sichuan goon told me it was good.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

I have not, but I'll be in Columbus a few more times this month and plan to check out Fortune. Another Sichuan goon told me it was good.

Fantastic! Feel free to PM me if you’d like company.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

fart simpson posted:

worst i can think of that actually makes some sorta sense would be 拔丝mars bars but i think someone can outdo that. i mean that would end up being basically just a slightly sweeter deep fried mars bar. my teeth hurt thinking about a giant dongbei size plate of 15 of those though

Those are all great suggestions but thinking about this one in particular causes me physical pain. Thanks.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Does Lao Gan Ma sell chili oil on its own? I tried getting some from Hmart but they only have the kind with chili flakes still in them. I was hoping to get just oil.

Alternatively, is there a way to get more chili oil from the chili flakes in this jar?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

Does Lao Gan Ma sell chili oil on its own? I tried getting some from Hmart but they only have the kind with chili flakes still in them. I was hoping to get just oil.

Alternatively, is there a way to get more chili oil from the chili flakes in this jar?

Not that I’ve seen, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. You could always use a sieve to filter the flakes out, but I’d just use them with the oil.

If you’re dead set against it, you can make your own in 5 minutes and it’ll taste a lot better that most all store brands. Just heat oil with a star anise, Szechwan peppercorns, some cinnamon maybe, then dump a cup of neutral oil over a handful of chili flakes and let it sit until you want to filter it. Keeps for a long time, theoretically, but It doesn’t usually last that long.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I would not include any of that other stuff in chili oil because you're limiting what you can do with it. Chili oil is just oil that you steeped chilies in, shouldn't have anything else involved.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I tried cooking whole dried chilis in hot oil once, but even after like 5 minutes in the pan the oil was still pale yellow. I tried it with the chili flakes and all they did was burn. Is there a better way to do it? By steeping, do I just jar them with some oil and let them sit?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Here's from The Food of Sichuan:

500 ml oil
100 g coarse ground chilies, with seeds
1 tsp sesame seeds

Heat oil to 200 C, allow to cool to about 140 C. Have the chilies and sesame in a bowl that can handle the heat, and a bit of cool oil ready to adjust if needed.

Add a bit of hot oil to the bowl, which should fizzle and smell good but not burn. If it's not burning, add the rest of the oil and stir it. If worried about burning, add some cool oil. Keep stirring until the oil is deep and red. Allow to cool.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

I would not include any of that other stuff in chili oil because you're limiting what you can do with it. Chili oil is just oil that you steeped chilies in, shouldn't have anything else involved.

This is true, those are just things I like to put in when I make it sometimes. Although I just about always prefer it with at least the peppercorn. Your last post was definitely where I started with it too.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Pollyanna posted:

I tried cooking whole dried chilis in hot oil once, but even after like 5 minutes in the pan the oil was still pale yellow. I tried it with the chili flakes and all they did was burn. Is there a better way to do it? By steeping, do I just jar them with some oil and let them sit?

Don't get your oil so hot.

I don't put the peppers over heat at all, just pour the hot oil over the flakes in a bowl.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Nickoten posted:

Fantastic! Feel free to PM me if you’d like company.

Unfortunately I'm there on hospital visits so can't really plan, but we'll see if I get a time I can. I went to Helen's today and it was good Sichuan stuff on their Chinese menu. Dumplings were bad, but Sichuan is bad at dumplings so that was accurate in its own way too.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

Unfortunately I'm there on hospital visits so can't really plan, but we'll see if I get a time I can. I went to Helen's today and it was good Sichuan stuff on their Chinese menu. Dumplings were bad, but Sichuan is bad at dumplings so that was accurate in its own way too.

Hah! Glad you got to make it out there.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

uhhhh.....

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

You know it to be true.

You'll take a blind dumpling from Dongbei or Guangdong or Shanghai any day before one from Sichuan. It's not where they shine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

You know it to be true.

You'll take a blind dumpling from Dongbei or Guangdong or Shanghai any day before one from Sichuan. It's not where they shine.

i like chaoshou and they have their place.