Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

skipdogg posted:

So plane tickets for our trip next year are borderline insane. I'm looking at 600/person round trip for March 10th to March 18th. I guess it's spring break or something as many flights are already sold out. I'm in San Antonio and can fly out of SAT, Austin, or even Houston if needed.

Allegiant is starting service from SAT to Orlando Sanford Intl (SFB) and I can fly all 5 of us way less than half of that on Allegiant even after all their various fees and other assorted bs.

Tell me how terrible of an idea this? I know we'll need alternative transportation to/from the airport or rent a van/suv. We're staying 2 nights at Beach Club and 6 nights at Bay Lake Tower and since they only fly on Thurs/Sun would need to extend the trip one more night somewhere else.

edit: I really don't want to drive, it's 17+ hours from here. 17 hours each way with my MIL who hates the interstate.... only if I can sedate her. My kids have to pee every 20 minutes as well, would probably push the trip out to 20 hours...

It's not a terrible idea but I'd price van rental and whatever it's going to cost for that extra night to see if it's a wash. If you're only going to save a couple hundred bucks and you can swing it, I wouldn't bother with Allegiant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Demon, are you also hoarding a Donald Star Wars band?

No sir, I had three of each and I am down to three Stormtroopers and the one Mickey. Both Donald and Mickey sold out after the first weekend.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

On that note, shoutout to Demon for being the best dude on the planet and hooking me up with the Mickey band as well. He can certainly get you what you need.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

demonR6 posted:

No sir, I had three of each and I am down to three Stormtroopers and the one Mickey. Both Donald and Mickey sold out after the first weekend.

How much for a storm trooper? My bf is very jelly of my Donald band and I may have to placate him....

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I'm so glad I was able to get a Donald band when I could. I have yet to use it.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
So, tell me about this pin trading nonsense. Should I try to find some, or should I just enjoy the trip and not bother with pins?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Save the money for other things..

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Anya posted:

So, tell me about this pin trading nonsense. Should I try to find some, or should I just enjoy the trip and not bother with pins?

I've always wondered what the fuss is as well.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Here's the thing, you have these pins.. you are obviously keeping any rare, collectors or pins you are attached to and so is everyone else. That leaves undesirables some random doubles and pretty much nothing you would really want so you buy more and more.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Anya posted:

It's a money sink that I have sunk into. Trading is still fun if you don't care about rare ones. Starter sets and pins themselves on property are pricy. Head to eBay and you'll find an ocean of people selling 25 randoms for about $12. It's a good way to get trade pins you can exchange with cast members for pins you want. Don't get into it for collecting rare and limited edition ones unless you're prepared to spend a lot of money. If you're content like I am with just collecting ones from attractions and parks etc, it's fun. Still, not cheap.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams
FP+ question

If I make a FP reservation for Wishes/Illumunations, does that mean that if my other 2 fast passes are used up by, say, 11am, I won't be able to book any more that day? Would the viewing area be worth it?

And RE: Pin Trading

I enjoy it, I don't try and collect anything specific though it's fun to try and complete a set I like during the trip. It's 100% a money sink, you'll never make money off of it. I buy ~100 of the knockoff pins off eBay before every trip, and trade them for ones that I like from CMs as I wander around the parks (I've never traded with another regular person), which I place in a shadow box* I have hanging on the wall. They make for fun, cheap souvenirs this way, and I've had some really great interactions with CMs while looking over their lanyard.

*ok, fine, I have 3 shadow boxes full...

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Once you book your three fast passes you can go to any kiosk and book single passes depending on what's left of course. Had to be kiosk though, not online.

We buy the passholder special event pins and things like that but waifu never trades them and has no interest in that.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Everything I've read says that booking a viewing area fastpass for any of the fireworks shows isn't worth it.

Stand in a slightly worse spot and use your FP to save an hour's wait on a roller coaster or something instead.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

WhiteHowler posted:

Everything I've read says that booking a viewing area fastpass for any of the fireworks shows isn't worth it.

Stand in a slightly worse spot and use your FP to save an hour's wait on a roller coaster or something instead.

Agreed.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
As I understand it, the best way to use your FP+s is on popular attractions between the hours of 10 AM and 2 PM, when the park is at its most crowded and lines are at their longest. If you book them all first thing in the morning, odds are good that you won't be able to use a 4th FP+ until the evening. If you can't get an FP+ for the attraction you want, try showing up during the first hour or the last hour it's running.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Some of the pins are neat, though. I like the "Piece of History" ones that allegedly contain pieces of the ride. I bought an Alien Encounter one on eBay the other day.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

WhiteHowler posted:

This is accurate. Figuring out a viewing area for fireworks is best done through trial and error. At Magic Kingdom I usually stand on the wooden bridge in front of Pecos Bill (the one that goes in front of the post-drop curve on Splash Mountain) because it's typically less populated and situated in a large open area. Also for parades, I go in front of the empty space between Hall of Presidents and Sleepy Hollow Refreshments. You can easily get front row or nearly front row and you're still in the first half of the parade route, so you can run off to rides after the tail end passes and the parade is still taking up hundreds of guests on Main Street.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Here is my recommendation coming to you as a 7-year AP holder who has watched MK fireworks from drat near everywhere.

Buy you and your family a Dole Whip break out the mini bottle of dark rum you snuck in and pour it into said Dole Whip. Trust me by the time you are getting ready to watch them you will likely need it. Thank me later. head out to what is our new favorite, back by the merry go round in the open area that is adjacent to the Mine Train entrance crossing into where BOG is. Great viewing where you will have fireworks all around you, think surround sound only at a different level.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Those spots are fun for people that go a lot, but if this is a big trip you owe it to yourself to view the fireworks from the end of Mainstreet America with the castle front and center like God intended :colbert:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

demonR6 posted:

Here is my recommendation coming to you as a 7-year AP holder who has watched MK fireworks from drat near everywhere.

Buy you and your family a Dole Whip break out the mini bottle of dark rum you snuck in and pour it into said Dole Whip. Trust me by the time you are getting ready to watch them you will likely need it. Thank me later. head out to what is our new favorite, back by the merry go round in the open area that is adjacent to the Mine Train entrance crossing into where BOG is. Great viewing where you will have fireworks all around you, think surround sound only at a different level.

I found it was a bit loud in that area for the kids when we were there. It was pretty intense. We usually watched them from the bridge to tommorowland last time we were there. Next trip we're staying at BLT, it'll be neat to see them from the roof.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I prefer the bridge that connects the hub to Adventureland personally.

It would have been my proposal spot too if we didn't get a lucky spot in front of the castle.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

demonR6 posted:

back by the merry go round in the open area that is adjacent to the Mine Train entrance crossing into where BOG is. Great viewing where you will have fireworks all around you, think surround sound only at a different level.

Hey thanks. We have a late dinner at BOG one night so this will be ideal.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I wouldn't bother wasting a FP on Illuminations. There are so many places to see it from that it doesn't make sense to use a FP on it.

I might consider using a FP on Wishes because I hear the new FP area in the redesigned hub is pretty great and you can roll up to it a few minutes before it starts and have a great view.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Illuminations is in a central open area rather than consisting of fireworks launchers hidden in buildings and behind public areas all over the park, so literally any view that gives you an unobstructed view of the center of the lagoon will be a pretty good spot.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Did they ever fix the fastpass system for Fantasmic? We did it on vacation a few years ago and arrived 15 minutes before the show and got stuck in the drat bleacher seats in the back with the rest of the general crowd that was arriving. We assumed that it would be reserved seating in good seats.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

skipdogg posted:

I found it was a bit loud in that area for the kids when we were there. It was pretty intense. We usually watched them from the bridge to tommorowland last time we were there.
This is exactly where we watched it last time, and it was a great view without being crowded. We also saw about a million turtles in the stream under the bridge. Not sure if they were enjoying the fireworks.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

:circlefap:

Silly Symphony vinyl box set announced for D23. Pre-orders start at D23 and go public August 17th.

$400

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Skeezy posted:

:circlefap:

Silly Symphony vinyl box set announced for D23. Pre-orders start at D23 and go public August 17th.

$400

that's actually pretty neat, way too drat expensive for me though, even if I was going to D23

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

If it was $200 I'd maybe MAYBE do it. But $400 over doing it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Skeezy posted:

If it was $200 I'd maybe MAYBE do it. But $400 over doing it.

personally I can't see paying more than $150 for a set of records unless it was at least double the amount they're offering, or it was something really drat rare

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Braksgirl posted:

I wouldn't bother wasting a FP on Illuminations. There are so many places to see it from that it doesn't make sense to use a FP on it.

I might consider using a FP on Wishes because I hear the new FP area in the redesigned hub is pretty great and you can roll up to it a few minutes before it starts and have a great view.

FP for wishes is not a bad idea. You can see the fireworks from almost anywhere, but you need to be firmly in Main Street to see the best part, which is the projection on the castle. For both Illuminations and Fantasmic, the secret is dinner -- Fantasmic dining program is a reasonable prix fixe (1 dining credit on plan) that gets you the good seats at Fantasmic, only problem is you have to eat a bit early.

For Illuminations, just eat at one of the restaurants on the inner side of World Showcase. Get an ADR for about 30 before the show. Mexico dims the lights and pipes in the soundtrack, it was pretty great.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

Bottom Liner posted:

Did they ever fix the fastpass system for Fantasmic? We did it on vacation a few years ago and arrived 15 minutes before the show and got stuck in the drat bleacher seats in the back with the rest of the general crowd that was arriving. We assumed that it would be reserved seating in good seats.

I think they open up the fastpass section for general seating about 15-20 minutes before the show, so you might have just gotten unlucky.

When we saw Illuminations, we had reservations at the Rose and Crown. Even though we were seated in the dining room, they took us out to a patio right on the water for the show so we had a really good view. The fire got a little hot though.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
60 days is Sunday. Planning MK Friday, Epcot Saturday, AK Sunday, HS Monday/MK again, and Tuesday morning is probably Epcot or MK one more time. So freaking excited, the countdown is really on!

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

New Jungle Cruise themed restaurant coming to Magic Kingdom towards the end of this year:
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/08/jungle-navigation-co-ltd-skipper-canteen-to-open-at-magic-kingdom-park/

Avatar Land photos. That place is going to be crazy.
http://www.slashfilm.com/avatar-land-d23-expo-2015/

Today's the day! Hoping for crazy awesome Hollywood Studios news.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Hopefully. So far D23 has been a bit of a letdown this year.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

My wife gets to ride Everest Sunday night as part of an employee event. They said "come experience Expedition Everest in a way guests have never seen before". Night theme unveiling?

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

Bottom Liner posted:

My wife gets to ride Everest Sunday night as part of an employee event. They said "come experience Expedition Everest in a way guests have never seen before". Night theme unveiling?

Nah, the Yeti will just be working properly

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Did they tear down the ride to fix the Yeti? They said it would need structural engineering work to the ride itself to get him working again.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

All the lights on. That'd be baller. But I wouldn't be surprised if it's night time unveiling since I'm sure we'll learn more about it all today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Gonna try to hit up Trader Sam's this afternoon before going to Legends: A Haunting at Old Town for my friend's last day working there.