Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Yeah I need to find out as we'll so when go on my next NYC trip i can haven mutiple food allergies and demand food created with ingredients I brought myself.
The food you bring had better include everything from your you allergy list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Just ranting: Why do people come to an asian restaurant and ask for gluten free. I hate people so much. Why would you trust a teenager that is pod minimum wage to give a gently caress about your possibly deadly allergy. Regular Kikkoman soy sauce is gluten free by law but we pay extra to buy gluten free bottles and the customer never even sees them. Fuckkkk

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

taqueso posted:

Yes I am allergic to gluten, so I need special flour, like this King Arthur's all purpose. I'm also allergic to peanuts, so here are fresh organic protien free whole peanuts. I also cannot under any circumstances have salt. So I brought Himalayan pink salt. Also no shellfish, here are some scallops.

Please make some something that I can eat with no gluten, no salt, no shellfish or peanuts. But all the ingredients I brought are special and must be in thefinal dish.

........ And topped with a fried egg.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Don't forget the floral hibiscus syrup

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

goodness posted:

Don't forget the floral hibiscus syrup

Nah I'm not allergic to hibiscus.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Nah I'm not allergic to hibiscus.

The solution to that is to consume enough to force an allergy. Like, just eat enough to force your body to start rejecting it.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

The solution to that is to consume enough to force an allergy. Like, just eat enough to force your body to start rejecting it.

I did that with pecans one season.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Yes I am allergic to gluten, so I need special flour, like this King Arthur's all purpose. I'm also allergic to peanuts, so here are fresh organic protien free whole peanuts. I also cannot under any circumstances have salt. So I brought Himalayan pink salt. Also no shellfish, here are some scallops.

Please make some something that I can eat with no gluten, no salt, no shellfish or peanuts. But all the ingredients I brought are special and must be in thefinal dish.

That sucks. I always try to be friendly about allergies, because people seem to get so brow-beaten about it these days.

We're starting up another season on the truck. I had gone through a career crisis thing over the off-season, and tried a few new temp jobs, and didn't like them. Unless someone wants to pay me to play Payday 2 or sperg about tanks all day, I couldn't give this gig up. Problem is, I'm only holding onto the industry because of this one job. I think regardless of age, whatever happens this will probably be my last cooking job.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I have to rant this off sorry:

We had to do 180 pie order today for Verizon. Bill comes to 2k. They leave 5%. $100 for the kitchen... That has to be split up between the pizza guys and the drivers...

What irked me was:

Lady: "what's a 10% tip?"
Driver: "$200"
Lady: "ok here's 5%"

This coming from a multi billion dollar corporation and charged on a business account......

I have no idea why they don't just auto grat that type of poo poo.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I think the world would be a better place if cash gratuity was eliminated (because people are paid well enough to not rely on it as a source of income) and replaced with small gifts of candy, baked goods and tiny bottles of liquor.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Or large bottles of liquor.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

Or large bottles of liquor.

Magnums of wine make a great tip.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
what does salary mean in the world of kitchens. Is it a good or bad?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

It means they want you to work overtime but not pay you for overtime.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Divide your salary by 60 hours per week and then see how much you love your life.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I love cooking but salary is one of the things that makes me so happy I'm front of house. Well that and the heat and the stress and the hours and actually I'm really happy I'm FOH.

Skooms
Nov 5, 2009
Does anyone have any experience with Bouley? They are hiring for Front Waiters and Captains right now. I haven't eaten there but I'm looking to stretch my wings here in NYC. I currently work in a 1 michelin 3* resto in NYC.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

taqueso posted:

Reminded me of one I got once as an apprentice which I don't think I'll ever have topped. Gluten/bread allergy guy wanted a pizza... But it was ok for him to eat if it was cooked super extra crazy crispy. That's how it works, right?
yeah

...yeah

In other news someone walked in today, after calling out for the whole weekend plus a day (today- Monday, which I was covering them for lunch.) They were just this side of hopeless and should have been let go ages ago.... but I saw white when I heard (and saw) that they'd just done that. I think I'm getting burned out and need a month off (AHAHHAHHAHAHHA ._.)

help

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
.... a local bakery just started advertising for bakers at up to $20.

I know better than to do this.

Going over there to have a chat with the owner and scope the place out later.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

A Man and his dog posted:

I have no idea why they don't just auto grat that type of poo poo.

Popping in as someone who did reimbursements for a major bank... There's no reason for them to treat you or any other tip-based service that way. Tipping guidelines are a standard part of reimbursement policies for large corporations. (The guidelines are surprisingly generous. Well over 10% of the ticket.) That lady was just a jerk.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Liquid Communism posted:

Don't do it you idiot!!! You're one of the ones who got out!!

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
I said I was out, but the yeast keeps calling.

Just one loaf until retirement.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Hope you've kept your body good and active this whole time because my first week back to work after just four months of sitting on my duff was murder.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Invisible Ted posted:

I said I was out, but the yeast keeps calling.

Just one loaf until retirement.

:lol:

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Don't make me dig through your post history to remind you why you got out...

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Wroughtirony posted:

No, come on, this is hilarious. :laugh:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Wroughtirony posted:

I know, I know. But if they're paying actual livable wages it might not be murder. Grass is always greener, I know, probably a symptom of frustration with my current management.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Liquid Communism posted:

I know, I know. But if they're paying actual livable wages it might not be murder. Grass is always greener, I know, probably a symptom of frustration with my current management.

Do it go back into the herd, I support you 100%

infiniteguest
May 14, 2009

oh god oh god

Skooms posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Bouley? They are hiring for Front Waiters and Captains right now. I haven't eaten there but I'm looking to stretch my wings here in NYC. I currently work in a 1 michelin 3* resto in NYC.

You probably don't need it on your resume, but I hear the money is good. The kitchen is sort of a wreck but not in a way that would really affect your position or day to day life. I think there are a lot of better options.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

I wouldn't have quit my poo poo bakery job if I got paid 20bux an hour.

Skooms
Nov 5, 2009

infiniteguest posted:

You probably don't need it on your resume, but I hear the money is good. The kitchen is sort of a wreck but not in a way that would really affect your position or day to day life. I think there are a lot of better options.

That's a bit of what I've heard asking around this week. I'm happy where I am, lots of exciting things happening, but I am new in town and don't quite know the scope of the scene. Thought I'd look around. Where do you think cool things are happening, outside of tasting counters, etc?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The General posted:

I wouldn't have quit my poo poo bakery job if I got paid 20bux an hour.

Pretty much the same here. The main reason I left was because $10 an hour and checks showing up late wasn't sustainable. I really, really miss the work, though.

Going over there to talk with the Chef Owner tomorrow morning when I get off shift and at least check out their pastries.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 21, 2015

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Liquid Communism posted:

Pretty much the same here. The main reason I left was because $10 an hour and checks showing up late wasn't sustainable. I really, really miss the work, though.

Going over there to talk with the Chef Owner tomorrow morning when I get off shift and at least check out their pastries.

My biggest concern would be making sure you could work full time AND paychecks clearing. $20/hr is great, but don't bakeries run on a razor thin margin generally? Is this place very high end or something?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Are boutique cupcake shops still a thing? Those seemed real hot for a minute. Wonder what the margins are on a $3-4 cupcake.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Depends on how much they're paying for a trendy address and a nice lobby. Cupcakes themselves are cheap, and if you're doing them on production levels the labor's negligible, the only expensive bit is the gimmicky decos.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

That always seemed like a business that lives and dies by how much foot traffic passes by, because who the gently caress is gonna get in a car and drive for a cupcake? Such a place opened about three years ago in the same building I was working at the time. Not a bad place for a restaurant since it was the same parking lot as a reasonably busy movie theater along a very high-trafficked road but I don't think they lasted a year.

Of course, having a Cold Stone literally next door probably wasn't great for business either.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Republicans posted:

That always seemed like a business that lives and dies by how much foot traffic passes by, because who the gently caress is gonna get in a car and drive for a cupcake? Such a place opened about three years ago in the same building I was working at the time. Not a bad place for a restaurant since it was the same parking lot as a reasonably busy movie theater along a very high-trafficked road but I don't think they lasted a year.

Of course, having a Cold Stone literally next door probably wasn't great for business either.

There were three foofy cupcake stores in my neighborhood about four years ago, and now only one remains. One was terribly run (as in my office ordered a delivery from them which just never showed) but the one that's still in operation for a long time was sandwiched between a gay sex shop and a health food store on a major foot traffic street. The gay sex store moved, and now it's sandwiched between a head shop and a health food store.

In other words, location matters.

They also sell wedding cakes. Really I think that their business model is that they make fancy cakes but use the cupcake poo poo to pay the day-to-day bills.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The insanity has passed. Went and walked the place out of curiosity, chatted with the owner a bit. He's... well, let's just say he's not going to be in this business long, I fear. Small town decorator who's been working out of his house putting six digits into remodeling a strip mall location into a full service bakery.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
But is he paying $20 an hour and could you work with him?

Sorry I'm trying to rope you back in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Nah, he's not paying anywhere near that, and is of the thought that his overnight crew could arrive at 2am and have scratch pastries up for sale by 5:30.

It's adorable. :3:

Oh, and 'we won't even -have- a freezer!' was spoken.

• Locked thread