Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
'cause they wanna charge '3d IMAX movie' prices to rent a movie,. More to own it, more for had versions.

It's iTunes split season retarded pricing scheme, and I'm not paying that kind of scratch for poo poo movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Roundboy posted:

'cause they wanna charge '3d IMAX movie' prices to rent a movie,. More to own it, more for had versions.

It's iTunes split season retarded pricing scheme, and I'm not paying that kind of scratch for poo poo movies.

What does your not liking the iTunes pricing model have to do with wishing the movies I already own could be in my Plex library?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Having Plex be the content aggregator that I originally envisioned my HTPC of being is nice, but switching apps is less of a hassle than input switching was back in the day. It would be nice to have an offline copy of the legitimate digital copies I own but if they wanted me to have that they wouldn't need to work with Plex to do so.

A legit good OTA DVR, one that doesn't rely on lovely Silicon Dust software, would be a unique and useful thing but everything about their implementation is worse than where I was with WMC

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

What does your not liking the iTunes pricing model have to do with wishing the movies I already own could be in my Plex library?

Meh I combined a few comments and glossed over the 'alresdy owned' part. I'm not sure how you prove that aspect as most DVD/blue Ray's now come with a digital version already. Maybe unique code for each movie?

Either way, I am echoing the comments on fixing what is wrong vs adding useless stuff nobody is asking for.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Roundboy posted:

Meh I combined a few comments and glossed over the 'alresdy owned' part. I'm not sure how you prove that aspect as most DVD/blue Ray's now come with a digital version already. Maybe unique code for each movie?

Either way, I am echoing the comments on fixing what is wrong vs adding useless stuff nobody is asking for.

What I meant was the digital versions I already owned (by redeeming the code or buying them or whatever) being able to show up in my Plex library by me putting my Vudu login into the Plex server or something. It's a minor pain remembering what movies are in Plex and what movies I have on UV/Movies Anywhere, and having that content just in my Plex library would be a much more useful feature than VR or making the app worse.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah, I still can't sync worth a drat. Go into the sync menu: there's the media. Put the app into offline: nope, nothing there.

I will probably try to dive through their forums for an answer (or just wipe/reinstall), but it's annoying.

Considering how well offline sync has worked in the past, I don't think Podcasts are going to be something I'd be interested in trying out.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
So I picked up one of the new 65 TCL series 6 tvs a few weeks ago when they came out.

First (not Plex related) these things are the poo poo. The hype about them is real. You can get LED tvs that look a little better for more, or you can go OLED and get an outstanding looking TV for quite a lot more, but for $1000 USD ($650 for the 55 inch) it wipes the floor with everything else. I have a Sony 930E downstairs and this loving thing looks just as good at half the cost.

Second, it uses Roku for its "smart" interface - it's basically a new-style Roku Ultra (only it supports Dolby Vision, like the TV itself, which the external Ultra does not) integrated with the TV. I kind of thought I would hate it because I am used to older Rokus with poo poo interfaces but this one, while still using a fairly bland (but easy) main interface uses Roku OS 8, which allows for much nicer looking apps. Including Plex which I will get to in a sec. And it's also much faster.

Biggest problem with the Rokus is they insist on showing lovely ads in the main UI - not a lot, but more than enough - and also they track you. This however is easy to rectify by using a Pi-hole network ad blocker, which is another topic I won't go in to here. Works fine with all that poo poo blocked.

Finally, the Plex client. I had no idea it had gotten so good on the Roku. It used to be fairly lovely but having now used the Android TV (Shield), AppleTV (my parents have one) and various mobile apps I can say this is the best one. Whoever they have working on it knows what they are doing, or at least cares.

The UI is nice and clean and updated for the newer Roku models. It's super fast to browse and find stuff. Playback is great - if you have Roku thumbnail generation enabled on your PMS seeking is the best out of any Plex app I have ever used, and it's much easier to navigate around during playback, do chapter skips, enable subs, etc. than, for example the Android TV app. And the newer Rokus support a lot more codecs and containers for direct playback (though there are always a few that some folks miss having but that is the same for everything).

And I can even play 4k HDR rips correctly, with SRT subtitles, something even the Shield client can't manage to do right (with Android TV, if audio transcodes - like you are playing it with a soundbar that doesn't support Dolby Atmos/etc. - and you enable subtitles the video will transcode too, which breaks HDR. Even non-image based subtitles like SRT which shouldn't be "burned" in. It's a bug they have yet to fix, but it's fine on the Roku client).

That and the Roku has a broad app selection for other streaming services and all those work great too.

Had no idea Roku (and Plex) had upped their game. Last one I used was a Roku 3 which worked well enough but is slow with a dated old-school Roku UI.

I'm one of the biggest Shield TV fans out there but this setup eliminates the need for it for me, at least with this TV.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You can’t disable the tracking? That’s insanely lovely. Even my $200 HiSense brings up a full page about tracking then asks if you want it on or not.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

EL BROMANCE posted:

You can’t disable the tracking? That’s insanely lovely. Even my $200 HiSense brings up a full page about tracking then asks if you want it on or not.

Nope. There are some new options introduced since the GDPR rolled out but essentially it's still tracking. You can turn off ad personalization, etc. but it's still collecting stats. You know, the same lovely "we promise to anonymize it" bullshit everyone else is throwing out.

A Pi-hole is way off topic for this thread - there may be one on these forums, but you are better off looking at the Pi-hole threads on Discourse (where the devs hang out) or Reddit - but basically it's a super easy to install and run free ad blocker that runs as a dns server on your local network, and blocks ads for everything connected to said network, wired or wireless. It's very easy to configure with what you want blocked (you can subscribe to lists, same as browser ad blockers work, and whitelist/blacklist, etc.) and there's a specific list for "Smart TVs and devices" that blocks annoying poo poo that a lot of those do (they are all assholes about collecting poo poo really, particularly Vizio) while leaving stuff that would otherwise break the software in place.

It works really well for Rokus and other "smart/iOT" devices in general. On the Roku, ads no longer display at all and their tracking callbacks are completely blocked (the Pi-hole has a really nice web ui that you can view/configure/etc.). Doesn't break anything else. On a side note, lots of other devices like the Shield, etc. collect stuff too, trust me, I see it in the logs when it's blocked.

It's called the Pi-hole because A) that's a hilariously stupid name and B)It was built to run on Raspberry Pi's, though people also run them on NASs and stuff, anything that can do Debian Linux basically. The installation, particularly on a Pi, is so simple I could teach my parents to do it. Check it out.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
BTW, to bring the Pi-hole talk closer to thread relevance - it also can block Plex server data collection. Don't forget that those guys do it as well, you can opt out of some of the user tracking and they claim they never track your library etc. but their privacy policy does allow for some data collection - it had people in an uproar a year ago, if I remember right. Don't know what the latest on that is but I do know with the Pi-hole I'm in control of it.

There's a "Plex list" on the Discourse forum that shows you what to whitelist (so you don't break the service, or sharing, etc.) while still blocking most data collection. Works fine with mine.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Ixian posted:

So I picked up one of the new 65 TCL series 6 tvs a few weeks ago when they came out.

First (not Plex related) these things are the poo poo. The hype about them is real. You can get LED tvs that look a little better for more, or you can go OLED and get an outstanding looking TV for quite a lot more, but for $1000 USD ($650 for the 55 inch) it wipes the floor with everything else. I have a Sony 930E downstairs and this loving thing looks just as good at half the cost.

Second, it uses Roku for its "smart" interface - it's basically a new-style Roku Ultra (only it supports Dolby Vision, like the TV itself, which the external Ultra does not) integrated with the TV. I kind of thought I would hate it because I am used to older Rokus with poo poo interfaces but this one, while still using a fairly bland (but easy) main interface uses Roku OS 8, which allows for much nicer looking apps. Including Plex which I will get to in a sec. And it's also much faster.

Biggest problem with the Rokus is they insist on showing lovely ads in the main UI - not a lot, but more than enough - and also they track you. This however is easy to rectify by using a Pi-hole network ad blocker, which is another topic I won't go in to here. Works fine with all that poo poo blocked.

Finally, the Plex client. I had no idea it had gotten so good on the Roku. It used to be fairly lovely but having now used the Android TV (Shield), AppleTV (my parents have one) and various mobile apps I can say this is the best one. Whoever they have working on it knows what they are doing, or at least cares.

The UI is nice and clean and updated for the newer Roku models. It's super fast to browse and find stuff. Playback is great - if you have Roku thumbnail generation enabled on your PMS seeking is the best out of any Plex app I have ever used, and it's much easier to navigate around during playback, do chapter skips, enable subs, etc. than, for example the Android TV app. And the newer Rokus support a lot more codecs and containers for direct playback (though there are always a few that some folks miss having but that is the same for everything).

And I can even play 4k HDR rips correctly, with SRT subtitles, something even the Shield client can't manage to do right (with Android TV, if audio transcodes - like you are playing it with a soundbar that doesn't support Dolby Atmos/etc. - and you enable subtitles the video will transcode too, which breaks HDR. Even non-image based subtitles like SRT which shouldn't be "burned" in. It's a bug they have yet to fix, but it's fine on the Roku client).

Don't those TCL TVs only have 60hz panels and have forced interpolation on all the time? I was looking at the specs and they seem interesting for the price but I worry about the downsides and I kinda hate TV SoCs after several bad experiences. I do need a TV for the spare room though.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
I've seen posts from time to time but has there been a definitive resolution for Plex on the Xbox One getting out of sync audio/video wise?

Between that and the initial 20 seconds some videos skip to hell and back it drives me crazy.

Any recent ideas?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

The Gunslinger posted:

Don't those TCL TVs only have 60hz panels and have forced interpolation on all the time? I was looking at the specs and they seem interesting for the price but I worry about the downsides and I kinda hate TV SoCs after several bad experiences. I do need a TV for the spare room though.

Yes and no. Yes it is a 60hz panel. No you won't really care. You can turn off motion smoothing (SOE, etc.) if that bothers you. It does a good job with 24p sources (drops to 48hz) - no stuttering, etc. in Natural Cinema mode.

Also there's a game mode that brings input lag down to around 17ms for 2k and 19ms for 4k (and 4k HDR) - that is really good. It is a fantastic TV for consoles like the One X or PS4 Pro (I have both). The PQ hit is so minor I pretty much leave it on for both of those inputs.

There are better TVs, sure, that have a bit more nits for HDR, that have higher native rate panels, wider color gamut, are thinner, etc. I have the Sony, which is $900 more and the TCL after I calibrated it is so close to it in overall PQ that I have a hard time telling the difference - I mean, I know spec wise on paper it's better, but it isn't that much better. If you are worried about over-processed images or frame rate stuttering, etc. don't be.

I take PQ seriously - I use Chromapure with an X-Rite display 3 Pro meter, and have a CA813 light meter to help set contrast. That setup cost more than the TV (I use it mainly for my JVC PJ, having it for the tvs is a bonus). So, take my word for it as you will, but for the price I find the TCL hard to beat.

The new model refresh basically upped their game for the same price as last years - it's a little brighter, has better off-center viewing angles (one of the bigger complaints with the last model), and the build quality is much nicer. The Amazon version of both the 55 and 65 is $50 more because it has a wifi remote which if you use something like the Harmony Hub (which can also control all models via Wifi) you don't need anyway.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

You can “limit ad tracking” which disables personalization and stops Roku from sharing the data with third parties, but they still collect it. OTA usage is shared with Neilson regardless.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
Anyone else using appletv as a plex client?

My H265 rips with AAC LC 5.1 audio all play with audio issues. On my 5.1 setup, The center channel dialogue comes out of my right speaker

The same file plays fine on rasplex.

Is it something to do with HEVC? AAC LC? I know atv doesnt support much natively, but why wouldnt my server transcode to something the ATV can handle?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Has anyone run into an issue with short videos where auto-play will just skip an episode?

If we go back and tell it to replay the missed episode, it’ll work fine so I know it isn’t the file.

For more clarity, the timeline goes

Episode starts
10 seconds later Plex skips to the next episode
Plays next episode fine

Only on shorter shows oddly.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Cornjob posted:

My H265 rips with AAC LC 5.1 audio all play with audio issues. On my 5.1 setup, The center channel dialogue comes out of my right speaker

Is it something to do with HEVC? AAC LC? I know atv doesnt support much natively, but why wouldnt my server transcode to something the ATV can handle?

This sounds really familiar... I think I saw someone with the same issue on the Apple TV forum on plex.tb before, might be worth checking.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Cornjob posted:

Same issue here from a couple users here: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/310585/apple-tv-many-movies-plays-without-audio and here: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/308088/issues-with-4k-hevc-content

No real solution until Plex devs sort it out. Looks like a workaround is set the ATV to downmix audio streams to 5.1 though. Not sure how that solves anything, but worth a shot I guess. Maybe it forces an audio transcode to the server? That setting is in the ATV device settings, not the Plex app settings.

teagone fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 6, 2018

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
I probably need to sign up to the plex forum and post logs, but has anyone who uses PlexKodiConnect suddenly found stuff often stops playing after 5/10 seconds on initial play, and you have to keep trying maybe 5 or so times before it sticks and then plays through just fine?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Plex email just went out, confirming grid view in the web app for plex pass users.

Also a 30 day trial of plex pass is available now for this without it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Here's the blog post: https://www.plex.tv/blog/grid-who/

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
I like it. I understand why the web app got it first but hopefully this comes to other platforms soon.

I guess after the Rovi patent loss a couple years ago and their appeals stalling out since then we're finally going to see more TV guides with grid options - like Sling - now that companies are less concerned with litigation over that ridiculous patent (if you weren't aware, Rovi aka Tivo claimed for years that they alone owned the idea around the common grid-style channel listings and pursued licensing deals/legal threats until Netflix finally told them to go gently caress themselves and got the patents invalidated).

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I figured there was a legal reason why Plex/HD Homerun didn't do a proper grid program guide. I recently put Kodi on a Raspberry Pi and it's program guide for my HD Homerun is v. nice.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I forced upgraded my Server (it seems to blank out the auto update all the time for some reason) and the Plex Pass version from a few days ago has the guide view. It's definitely better, and might push me to actually getting a proper OTA setup in the house, and not just a cheap indoor aerial that only picks up a handful of channels depending on conditions.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I hope the guide view shows up in TV apps soon

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
That explains why all the TV apps suck for guides. Plex, HD Homerun's software, and Channels are maddeningly bad. Totally explains it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Microsoft just paid the loving money and as a result OneGuide is quite good

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
Several companies including Google paid up - which is why the Live Channels guide has had a grid since it came out - but in the end, thank Netflix, not just for spending the money to fight it, but getting the 5 relevant patents invalidated completely.

I think Rovi/Tivo only recently gave up their appeals a few months back even though they lost the major case (and the patents) a little over two years ago.

And yes this is why a lot of apps, including HDHomerun (who specifically cited the patent as a reason why they didn't do a grid guide) have fairly goofy TV channel layouts. Hopefully things are going to start changing rapidly.

XBMC/Kodi, being free software and a non-profit incorporated out of the US with few assets, simply didn't give a flying gently caress about it, just like they don't care about patent issues around ffmpeg, etc. because who's going to bother to sue them?

Related Plex note: ffmpeg (which implements h.264, AAC, and other codecs covered under the MPEG-LA patent holding group) is one of several reasons Plex Media Server itself is a separate component and the base software is free (another being it is a fork off XBMC, though most of that code is long gone and none of the clients save perhaps the Plex Media Player for Windows is based on it). There's a reason beyond technical aspects that TV apps, for example, don't do any client-side decoding beyond what the underlying devices provide vs. Kodi, which does everything client side.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Ixian posted:

Rovi/Tivo

This acquisition still makes me barf a little. I really hate seeing TiVo's name get dragged through the mud on those bullshit patents.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

H110Hawk posted:

This acquisition still makes me barf a little. I really hate seeing TiVo's name get dragged through the mud on those bullshit patents.

I hate to break it to you but Tivo has been aggressive about patents since they started. They weren't really a troll since they did have their own product but some of the concepts they patented were pretty absurd and more than the ones related to the grid have been invalidated in the years since.

And yes Rovi has taken an even more aggressive stance because monetizing the back catalog of patents was one of the main drivers of the deal. They are still suing Comcast as of earlier this year over DVR related patents from the late 90's (if the infringement allegedly occurred before the patents expired (20 years) you can still sue).

Not that I have a lot of sympathy for Comcast but all this poo poo does is make lawyers and primary stakeholders rich while the bottom-line costs get passed to consumers.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I've been using plex for awhile but just tried plex pass and the sync to mobile device feature. It barely works. I'm using a shield as my plex server and a pixel 2 as the client. Sync is over wifi and it works on some TV shows but not all. It will fail with a transcoder error. Haven't found a movie sync works with. I do have a 250gb SSD plugged into the shield as adopted storage but I have not moved the plex data to the external drive. I read that people who tried to move the plex data to the external storage it would fail and they had to rebuild the plex database. Should sync work with the plex data on the internal storage or is there another problem? Any suggestions?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Ixian posted:

I hate to break it to you but Tivo has been aggressive about patents since they started. They weren't really a troll since they did have their own product but some of the concepts they patented were pretty absurd and more than the ones related to the grid have been invalidated in the years since.

And yes Rovi has taken an even more aggressive stance because monetizing the back catalog of patents was one of the main drivers of the deal. They are still suing Comcast as of earlier this year over DVR related patents from the late 90's (if the infringement allegedly occurred before the patents expired (20 years) you can still sue).

Not that I have a lot of sympathy for Comcast but all this poo poo does is make lawyers and primary stakeholders rich while the bottom-line costs get passed to consumers.

Yeah, I have a bit of rose-coloured glasses with TiVo and their patents. They always felt actually novel compared to some of the UI design patent stuff I find to be silly. I'm willing to look the other way a bit given how nice TiVo is as a product. Heck, the plex support is even fairly decent.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

r0ck0 posted:

I've been using plex for awhile but just tried plex pass and the sync to mobile device feature. It barely works. I'm using a shield as my plex server and a pixel 2 as the client. Sync is over wifi and it works on some TV shows but not all. It will fail with a transcoder error. Haven't found a movie sync works with. I do have a 250gb SSD plugged into the shield as adopted storage but I have not moved the plex data to the external drive. I read that people who tried to move the plex data to the external storage it would fail and they had to rebuild the plex database. Should sync work with the plex data on the internal storage or is there another problem? Any suggestions?

I haven't tried this myself but have heard that it can take a long time because it's transcoding the original file as it's downloading to your device? I don't think it simply does an exact copy of the source file.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

r0ck0 posted:

If it's a 16gb Shield you are almost certainly having space issues with mobile transcodes (which need to catch the entire file it is transcoding, vs. streaming it with buffering like it does for playback) and pretty much need to migrate Plex data so it can use the larger adopted space. They recently updated that process so it may work better now, or you may have to rebuild the db (it will keep watch states) but either way you'll need to do it.

Also, while the Shield is a decent Plex server platform, don't expect mobile sync transcodes to go all that fast. It works surprisingly well since they did a lot of Tegra-specific optimizations in the server but at the end of the day it's only going to go so fast. And if you are transcoding a stream (i.e. watching something via a client that won't direct play) at the same time, it'll go even slower.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I’ve hidden from this world for the past few years while burning myself out at a startup. Used to have a huge NAS and a Popcorn Hour A100-clone setup with YAMJ to play my media library on my TV (goal: no transcoding). Before that was OG XBMC on my OG Xbox and watching it struggle on H.264 :corsair:

Now I’d like to set it all up again and I’m looking for the box that takes in my library over Ethernet and spits out HDMI. I’ve got a ATV 4K at the moment, and was thinking of trying out Plex first. I live in an apartment and for now everything is gonna be downmixed to 2.0, so lack of DTS/etc support isn’t a big deal as long as something in the playback chain can decode it to PCM.

The Shield (heh) looks like the next best option and I may be interested in game streaming; I thought I read that these sometimes get fire-saled out or am I confusing it with literal Fire sales?

My NAS is on a ESXi host that’s a 4C/8T Skylake Xeon w/ 64GB so I’m not worried about transcoding if needed but I get kind of autistic when needless re-encoding occurs (spent a good part of my life working on codec software and silicon and I apologize in advance for ruining all your lives) basically looking for the same experience as Media Player Classic opening a file over a SMB share, decoding and playing.

fake edit: perhaps the question is, what does the Shield (appearing to be the best non-x86 Windows PC playback system) do better than the ATV 4K?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

movax posted:

I get kind of autistic when needless re-encoding occurs (spent a good part of my life working on codec software and silicon and I apologize in advance for ruining all your lives)

You're my hero.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

movax posted:

fake edit: perhaps the question is, what does the Shield (appearing to be the best non-x86 Windows PC playback system) do better than the ATV 4K?

Sideload apps and games (or install directly from the Google Play Store, if available) that you'll never find on the Apple App Store- Kodi and console emulators, in particular. Android TV isn't nearly as sandboxed and locked down as Apple tvOS.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

movax posted:

I’ve hidden from this world for the past few years while burning myself out at a startup. Used to have a huge NAS and a Popcorn Hour A100-clone setup with YAMJ to play my media library on my TV (goal: no transcoding). Before that was OG XBMC on my OG Xbox and watching it struggle on H.264 :corsair:

Now I’d like to set it all up again and I’m looking for the box that takes in my library over Ethernet and spits out HDMI. I’ve got a ATV 4K at the moment, and was thinking of trying out Plex first. I live in an apartment and for now everything is gonna be downmixed to 2.0, so lack of DTS/etc support isn’t a big deal as long as something in the playback chain can decode it to PCM.

The Shield (heh) looks like the next best option and I may be interested in game streaming; I thought I read that these sometimes get fire-saled out or am I confusing it with literal Fire sales?

My NAS is on a ESXi host that’s a 4C/8T Skylake Xeon w/ 64GB so I’m not worried about transcoding if needed but I get kind of autistic when needless re-encoding occurs (spent a good part of my life working on codec software and silicon and I apologize in advance for ruining all your lives) basically looking for the same experience as Media Player Classic opening a file over a SMB share, decoding and playing.

If you want something reasonably open (at least for now) you can fool around with, sideload apps, whatever, the Shield. It's a great Kodi box too, unless you want hassle-free HDR support with Kodi. There the Shield falls down a bit.

If you want something that is only for media playback, "just works", and want to use Plex, the new Roku Ultra (or the +version of the stick, if you don't care about ethernet).

ATV if you like/need Apple stuff I guess. If you aren't in the Apple ecosystem I don't know what it does all that well over the Shield/Roku and it is more locked down than the former.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Ixian posted:

If you want something reasonably open (at least for now) you can fool around with, sideload apps, whatever, the Shield. It's a great Kodi box too, unless you want hassle-free HDR support with Kodi. There the Shield falls down a bit.

If you want something that is only for media playback, "just works", and want to use Plex, the new Roku Ultra (or the +version of the stick, if you don't care about ethernet).

ATV if you like/need Apple stuff I guess. If you aren't in the Apple ecosystem I don't know what it does all that well over the Shield/Roku and it is more locked down than the former.

ATV 4K has Dolby Vision, and tvOS is a better experience than Android TV. Also has res and color space switching that is seamless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
The ATV4k is very very good. And if you have plex so is the client and the. You can leave Kodi behind. I do t know why everyone talks about lock in, Ive never once had an issue with an app not being available and apples tv app is great too when you have a DTVN login or even a cable provider login and load up the apps.

Glad I skipped the shield.