Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Prof.Snugglesworth posted:

So...what are the chances we'll get Verka Serduchka on hosting duties for next year's Eurovision?
:allears:

Probability = 1

well, in some form or another at least, probably not as one of the hosts as Verka English nicht verstehen.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Prof.Snugglesworth posted:

So...what are the chances we'll get Verka Serduchka on hosting duties for next year's Eurovision?
:allears:

All of my yes.

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Russia's stage show was awesome and I guess the performer sounds like he's a pretty cool guy.

But gently caress Putin, I'm just glad he's somewhere furiously stomping his little midget feet.

typical_eurovision_opinion.txt

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Gridlocked posted:

Just watched the (not live) Australian broadcast of the finals after insulating myself against spoilers.

Was so very very excited but nope politics continues to dominate voting and a below average song wins because it makes Russia angry, voting blocs exist and any chance for someone in Europe to say "gently caress Russia" is one they jump on with gusto.

I'm not saying the Ukrainian contest was a bad person, but her song was mediocre at best and anyone who enters that kind of politically charged song know they are going to fish up the love-you hate-you set of points.

Apart from Australia my personal favorite was Belgium. :saddowns: Also Austria was great.

Russia can't really complain cause they massively benefit from political voting as well.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Gridlocked posted:

Was so very very excited but nope politics continues to dominate voting and a below average song wins because it makes Russia angry, voting blocs exist and any chance for someone in Europe to say "gently caress Russia" is one they jump on with gusto.
Haha do you really believe this when Russia was given the second-best public vote? Europe piled up on Russia so hard that it gave it second place. I'm not saying that there aren't politics in Eurovision because they were always there but it's not like this mastermind Mrs. Europe engineered this Russian-Ukrainian showdown at the end for a massive gently caress-you - it's a cumulation of votes. Ukraine received sympathy votes due to their message sure but Russia didn't get any hate, Germany getting last place is a stronger argument for such an idea.

Also lol at discussing politics through Eurovision lens but it's entertaining.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 15, 2016

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I still think it would have been amazing if Australia won because it would have meant Germany hosting next year after coming dead last and that is beautiful. :allears:

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012
Sure, there might be some anti German sentiment but I think it's more that Germany does not get sympathy points from anyone. If we send a mediocre song it will always fail horribly but good or crazy ones can do ok.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Kurtofan posted:

Russia can't really complain cause they massively benefit from political voting as well.
Yeah I think the only real difference is some of the political votes that would have gone to Russia went to Ukraine instead.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

true.spoon posted:

Sure, there might be some anti German sentiment but I think it's more that Germany does not get sympathy points from anyone. If we send a mediocre song it will always fail horribly but good or crazy ones can do ok.

It's also that we don't need to qualify for the final as the really bland/boring/lame songs don't make it to the final, which means Germany is often the only one of that kind in the finale.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

GaussianCopula posted:

the really bland/boring/lame songs don't make it to the final
If only. If anything, it's the other way around.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Palpek posted:

Haha do you really believe this when Russia was given the second-best public vote? Europe piled up on Russia so hard that it gave it second place. I'm not saying that there aren't politics in Eurovision because they were always there but it's not like this mastermind Mrs. Europe engineered this Russian-Ukrainian showdown at the end for a massive gently caress-you - it's a cumulation of votes. Ukraine received sympathy votes due to their message sure but Russia didn't get any hate, Germany getting last place is a stronger argument for such an idea.

I'm not complaining that it was engineered as such. I'm complaining that Australia's entry was legitimately one of the top 3 best entries of the year and that the only way such a bad song like the Ukrainian entry (or in fact meh entry like Russia, though he had neat effects which made me like his more then I should have) could have generated such a popular vote from the people is because of the politics/sympathy points.

I would be far far less salty if we lost to say Austria or Belgium which were also very good entries.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 15, 2016

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Germany's song was actually the worst by a mile and literally everyone at my party hated it.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Germany's song was actually the worst by a mile and literally everyone at my party hated it.

I think the huge dissonance between the performers asia-pop inspired dress, the actual content/beat/everything of the song and the weird laser-tree's made it very award and look as though each the three aforementioned components were done with out considering the existence of the other 2.

If she wore that same dress, but did a full on K-Pop/J-Pop entry it would have been great.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Well she won the German "the Voice" edition, so she was a lock for the national qualifier, no matter how bad her song was.

I'm still bitter that we didn't send Avantasia, which would have done much better and placed 3rd in the national qualifier https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w_58CQWHFQ

Given that the Polish entry with the same costume did pretty well I'm sure we would have placed better than last place with this.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

GaussianCopula posted:

Well she won the German "the Voice" edition, so she was a lock for the national qualifier, no matter how bad her song was.

I'm still bitter that we didn't send Avantasia, which would have done much better and placed 3rd in the national qualifier https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w_58CQWHFQ

Given that the Polish entry with the same costume did pretty well I'm sure we would have placed better than last place with this.

Ahahaha dude how is that better than anything?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

It was fun seeing the german costume and staging after seeing the world's most boring swede stand still and sing in a t shirt. It would have been more fun if the song was as exciting as the rest though.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I was genuinely okay with Germany. I think the only song I'm bothered by is Poland because it did so well. I'm not saying Poland was the worst song there or anything, but public voting (assumedly from Polish diaspora?) pushed it way higher than it deserved.

Also Latvia was robbed with its placement, that was a damned solid performance and staging.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Question Mark Mound posted:

I was genuinely okay with Germany. I think the only song I'm bothered by is Poland because it did so well. I'm not saying Poland was the worst song there or anything, but public voting (assumedly from Polish diaspora?) pushed it way higher than it deserved.

Also Latvia was robbed with its placement, that was a damned solid performance and staging.

Yeah Latvia was great. I loved how sparse it felt with the like imitation Roland synths and stuff

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

gently caress ive got the russian song stuck in my head

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

You know, in the Netherlands they have legalized euthanasia for patients who suffer of unbearable and hopeless pain.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I have poland and latvia stuck in mine. I don't even know how. GET OUT!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I have Australia's running through mine, so it could be worse I suppose.

I legit cannot remember what the Ukraine song sounded like any more.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

docbeard posted:

I have Australia's running through mine, so it could be worse I suppose.

I legit cannot remember what the Ukraine song sounded like any more.

It sounded like a throw-away demo Burial did with some female vocals. So in a sense, dubstep finally won the Eurovision. :v:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Nenonen posted:

You know, in the Netherlands they have legalized euthanasia for patients who suffer of unbearable and hopeless pain.

Well it's a good thing I don't have their song stuck in my head.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Well it's a good thing I don't have their song stuck in my head.

slow down, brother

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
(Sort of Eurovision, I guess): Brighton railway station is one of those ones with a piano that's available to the public; I was sat waiting for a train when I realised I'd been listening to a very lush version of 'My Lovely Horse' being played by an unassuming fellow. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
See everyone next year in the Ukraine!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMgW54HBOS0

• Locked thread