Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think I saw Ming Tsai and Sara Moulton on PBS. So I think the former food network people do that now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Wasn’t Ming always on PBS

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Yeah PBS has a lot of cooking shows but I think they tend to be on the weekends, but that probably changes from region to region. I like Pati's Mexican Table.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

When I was watching Food Network a few years ago, it was pretty much all competition shows. Are there any how-to instructional shows on TV or they all on during daytime?

They're all on during the day and then after work it's all competition.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I couldn't get through Top Chef season 9 goddamn. It really felt like none of the judges wanted to be there and it was just so painful overall. So many terrible people that season.

Edit: Season 10 is a lot better but goddamn most of the dudes on this season are trash

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 9, 2022

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Casu Marzu posted:

I couldn't get through Top Chef season 9 goddamn. It really felt like none of the judges wanted to be there and it was just so painful overall. So many terrible people that season.

Edit: Season 10 is a lot better but goddamn most of the dudes on this season are trash

oh nice -- Season 10 gets really good, has a couple of the best-ever contestants on the show for sure

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

When I was watching Food Network a few years ago, it was pretty much all competition shows. Are there any how-to instructional shows on TV or they all on during daytime?

The Cooking Channel is usually better for that kind of stuff but tbh I haven't watched anything outside of Man Fire Food for a few years

Screaming_Gremlin
Dec 26, 2005

Look at him. Dude's a stone-cold badass.

Casu Marzu posted:

With the exception of the first 2 years, Season 9 was probably the worst of Top Chef. As you said, a lot of just incredibly racist and terrible contestants. And with the exception of the Charlize Theron episode, most of the challenges were bad on top of it.

It was also probably the most one sided season in the show's history. Paul pretty much dominated and they had to intentionally edit the show to make it look like it was a closer competition than it was. Of course Paul then turned out to be a garbage human as well.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Screaming_Gremlin posted:

With the exception of the first 2 years, Season 9 was probably the worst of Top Chef. As you said, a lot of just incredibly racist and terrible contestants. And with the exception of the Charlize Theron episode, most of the challenges were bad on top of it.

It was also probably the most one sided season in the show's history. Paul pretty much dominated and they had to intentionally edit the show to make it look like it was a closer competition than it was. Of course Paul then turned out to be a garbage human as well.

I’m pretty sure I watched this season but I don’t remember it at all, I just have just completely excised Paul from my mind because he rings no bells at all.

Sarah, Grayson, Nyesha, & Beverley are all awesome though. Sarah and Nyesha were both on the reality show that made an Iron Chef of Stephanie Izard (along with a pre-TC Shota Nakajima, which I didn’t realize until literally right now) and now Nyesha is a judge on a competition show with Blais and Gordon Ramsay, Beverly opened up a bomb-rear end restaurant in Chicago and has a Michelin Star and Grayson got to reappear on a less lovely season. Season 10 also rules and has one of my favorite final sets of contestants (the top 3 are all dope and remain dope to this day).

Meanwhile, here in 2022 I can’t get over how much I love the elaborate Last Chance Kitchen finales that Tom keeps dreaming up. He thinks he’s so clever every time, it’s kind of endearing. honestly there’s nothing cooler than a chef who had to eliminate half the cast to return to the show like a loving warrior, I’m definitely partially cheering for Sarah now. Especially if my guy Demarr throws up another dud.

Also, when I was in New York last month I had a chicken sandwich at Jae’s pop-up and it was awesome. I kind of wish I had gotten some jambalaya too but Cajun/Korean fusion is such a good concept it really ought to be around next time. She’s making her Top Chef dishes as weekly specials too! Next stop is definitely Demarr’s restaurant, I love soul food and he is clearly an expert.

Screaming_Gremlin
Dec 26, 2005

DC Murderverse posted:

Sarah, Grayson, Nyesha, & Beverley are all awesome though.

I really liked Nyesha, Beverly, and Ed from that season. Grayson was really good as well, but was much less likable when she came back in a later season.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I remember watching TC season 3 years and years ago and being bummed Tre went out early

Only other season I watched had Stefan and Fabio being Team Euro

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Along that line, if you have a chance to go to Monteverde in Chicago, it's Sarah's restaurant and it's really good!

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

i started watching the newest season of top chef and did they change how they edit this show completely? it feels like its way faster and more frantic overall, and they barely seem to hold on anyone long enough to read whatever caption they have below them. also it seems to be overall more focused drama and stuff which was something I liked top chef for not having as much of before.

idk if i just became old between finishing season 18 a couple months ago and starting this one tho.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Could be, but they also do tend to move a lot faster in early eps because they have soooo many people to cover. By the end you're dealing with half the footage/storylines to work with.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

So I’ve been on a Gordon Ramsay kick for a while, and I somehow ended up watching the recent season of Masterchef Junior on Hulu - I guess in part because, after binging like 20 seasons of Hell’s Kitchen over quarantine I am just sort of fascinated to see him act like a sweetheart to some little kids. And he is quite sweet to them mostly… I think.

In this last episode I saw where they’re cooking for a baby shower, the boys’ team was doing pan-seared chicken breasts and of course Gordon cuts one open and reveals a raw pink center, and asks the 11-year-old captain what will happen if they serve that to pregnant women. “Their babies are going to end up dying,” the boy answers, looking at his feet. “And we will shut this kitchen down!” Gordon sternly tells the children, “And ALL of you will be sent back home!” I honestly thought he was going to go on to tell them that they’d get sent to reform school for years and NEVER see their parents or home again, or something! I mean, good god.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

TBH it's a little harsh but if you're gonna be a hardass about anything, that's the one thing (well, food safety in general but cooking chicken/pork through is one that almost any cook will encounter frequently) you're allowed to scare kids about imo. Make it so they only make that mistake once and realize the severity of it, like preventing burns.

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

TBH it's a little harsh but if you're gonna be a hardass about anything, that's the one thing (well, food safety in general but cooking chicken/pork through is one that almost any cook will encounter frequently) you're allowed to scare kids about imo. Make it so they only make that mistake once and realize the severity of it, like preventing burns.

Those kids are going to serve chicken breast sawdust for the rest of their lives.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Gordon freaking out about any food they serve pregnant women is a constant across all his shows for years, all the way back to gordon ramsay's kitchen nightmares.

I wonder if he had something happen or saw something happen when he was youngner.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

DC Murderverse posted:

Meanwhile, here in 2022 I can’t get over how much I love the elaborate Last Chance Kitchen finales that Tom keeps dreaming up. He thinks he’s so clever every time, it’s kind of endearing. honestly there’s nothing cooler than a chef who had to eliminate half the cast to return to the show like a loving warrior, I’m definitely partially cheering for Sarah now. Especially if my guy Demarr throws up another dud.

Buddha is my guy and I think he's going all the way

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Buddha is my guy and I think he's going all the way

Spoilers for this week’s episode:

Buddha is getting inducted to the Wife Guy Hall of Fame after that challenge. I’m still cheering for Demarr but I’d be both unsurprised and happy with a Buddha win. Also very nice to have Sarah back, she’s much funnier than the others and her and her sister were hilarious. I loved her joke about being an indoor chef like an indoor cat outdoors making food

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Disappointed Top Chef 10 doesn't have the talk back episode.

Watching how uncomfortable all the women are by Stefan's advances makes it surprising no one's addressed it. Everytime he's up for elimination/reward with ladies he goes in for a hug/kiss.

Watching thru some of the Last Chance episodes and a bit bummed it isn't part of the main show. Tom calling out contestants on the quality of the pans for John, and the beaten cast wearing BIG CEEJ shirts is endearing and a lot of fun.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 15, 2022

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Like me, you will all be happy to know Crime Scene Kitchen has been renewed for another season.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Ailumao posted:

Gordon freaking out about any food they serve pregnant women is a constant across all his shows for years, all the way back to gordon ramsay's kitchen nightmares.

I wonder if he had something happen or saw something happen when he was youngner.

It could just be that he got it drilled into him by one of the places where he trained. I could see one of the French chefs he trained under going "if you undercook this and a pregnant woman eats it, she will get sick and the baby will DIE and then WE WILL BE SUED AND NEVER WORK IN THIS INDUSTRY AGAIN!" just to try and make sure that no one took that kind of risk.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

The_Doctor posted:

Like me, you will all be happy to know Crime Scene Kitchen has been renewed for another season.

Praying for more awkward tense confessions

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Interesting to see Samuelson has jumped ship too.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Interesting to see Samuelson has jumped ship too.

Maybe the gig attempting to help revive the Bon Appetit youtube channel didn't pay as well as expected

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Andrew Zimmern and Nilou Motamed are the judges. Dunno who the lady is, but I’ve grown to like Zimmern more after following his Instagram for a few years.

Screaming_Gremlin
Dec 26, 2005

Fartington Butts posted:

Andrew Zimmern and Nilou Motamed are the judges. Dunno who the lady is, but I’ve grown to like Zimmern more after following his Instagram for a few years.

I just know her from when she filled in for Gail Simmons as a judge on Top Chef. She did a good job there.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Screaming_Gremlin posted:

With the exception of the first 2 years, Season 9 was probably the worst of Top Chef.

Season 2 was bad, but at least its how we got a cooking show on the Sci fi channel.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Oh cool I didn't know that Gabriela Camara was cast as an Iron Chef. Contramar is a must visit if you ever make it out to CDMX.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Lol at her restaurant with the sqirl lady known for moldy jam

Carillon
May 9, 2014

God the sqrl girl sage will never not make me laugh. What hubris!

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Lol at her restaurant with the sqirl lady known for moldy jam

Carillon posted:

God the sqrl girl sage will never not make me laugh. What hubris!

My sister tried both Contamar and Onda and said Contramar was miles better, like a good number of the dishes on the Onda menu didn't even sound appetizing. Gabriela Camara stepped away from Onda after it opened, wonder why lol.

amaguri
Mar 27, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

i like this show so thanks for the news!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

The mayor of Flavortown profiled in the NYT

https://twitter.com/mattfleg/status/1528704965094563840?s=21&t=C-qK-tRnX6RCinrJoDfH-g

I definitely made some Guy Fieri jokes back in the day (and that fake menu someone made for one of his joints is still funny as hell) but it’s hard to ignore the influence he’s had over the restaurant industry over the last couple decades. He’s spotlighted on national television hundreds of chefs and restaurants that wouldn’t have gotten more than a few paragraphs in their local papers otherwise and raised millions for restaurant workers during the pandemic plus makes some of the best food competition shows currently airing. And now with Chicken Guy he’s finally made a restaurant I would actively choose to eat at. What a weird path his career has taken.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I believe it was an NYT review of his times square restaurant that still lives rent free in my head because it was just a series of questions about "Windex blue margs" and "donkey sauce." But, I'm really glad the world at large has turned the corner on him. He does a lot of really good outreach for firefighters and stuff and overall seems to be a good story about how embracing your own aesthetic and paving your own way is usually the best option :unsmith:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

On the most recent season of ToC there was a fairly unknown chef (relative to the rest of the big names in ToC) who got a big upset as the 8 seed over the 1 seed in the first round, and before his second round match he starts to have a panic attack and is actively breaking down backstage right before they’re supposed to go out. Someone lets Guy know and he goes back there to give this chef a really good pep talk to help his nerves. It works and that chef goes out there and wins again. That was a really great moment because the chef, a former football player, was the sort of person where you would assume by looking at him that he wouldn’t have any sort of mental health issues and certainly wouldn’t ever be open about it, but he was honest about what he was going through and Guy responded with compassion and encouragement, which helped him to be able to continue and to succeed. It’s a glimpse into who Guy Fieri really is: a great motivator and a stellar friend/mentor. He cares about the people on his shows because he firmly believes in the importance of food as something that brings people together. That’s why people keep coming back, whether it’s his chef-friends who are reoccurring judges/competitors, DDD restaurant owners who recommend other places or do updates about how they’ve grown since their appearance, or DDD chefs flying out to CA to compete on GGG.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

My wife and I have unknowingly gone to 5 or 6 different places that have been featured on DDD. It’s gotten to the point that we always look around for the Guy signature when we go to a new place.

Hasn’t let us down yet.

mystes
May 31, 2006

ATK and kenji on msg:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8BXYIZ_7sE

I generally like kenji and find ATK annoying but this is one thing where ATK is right and kenji is wrong

Bonus wtf why did youtube show me this garbage furry dragon cooking video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr4qKhTc2j8

mystes fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I kinda like that Dan guy's videos from ATK.