Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

ZeroCount posted:

I'm pretty sure Hoogland legit hates Legacy so I'm not sure why he keeps trying to play it.

As someone who actually talks to him regularly, Legacy is currently his favorite format and he's loved it since the top ban. He's also played brainstorm in Aluren and the reason he's on Deadguy Ale at the moment is because he thinks, rightly or wrongly, that the deck is decent in the post Miracles format, not hatred of brainstorm.

He's pretty short with trolls in chat and can be a bit acerbic in general but whatever, not every stream has to be Caleb Durward's. I've offered criticism of his plays or content plenty of times and never gotten banned or timed out. He's also one of the top Magic streamers whenever he's streaming Magic so not sure where the "lol he banned so many people that no one is watching him" comes from.

E: I'm also not sure when "thinks Reddit is garbage" became a controversial opinion around here.

Rogue0071 fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
MTGO bug report: did you know that you can cast spells and activate abilities after your opponent's Intuition resolves but before you pick a card?

My opponent did not get priority at all, my Stroke went on the stack, then I was able to pop the Keg, activate Palinchron, or activate Conclave. Instead I just picked a Stroke, my stroke was then on the stack like normal.

I also went 3-0/6-0 with lovely Morphling deck, maybe it's actually good?! No, no it isn't. I beat the Mirror by outplaying my opponent while playing faster, I beat Wildfire because Rishadan Port is nuts and they tried to use Temporal Aperture during the upkeep twice, and I beat Academy because they rushed the kill and were down on clock.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

Yeah, played Marvel 3 times at GP Montreal and didn't lose. Jeskai control seemed bad though.

I feel like the deck could use more going on at 2 mana, but there's only Metalic Mimic or Relentless Dead that fits, and neither seems ideal. Would be nice if I could play Relentless Dead but I think I'd need to reduce access to white mana to accomodate it.

Honestly I think the BW zombies list wants Selfless Spirit in the sideboard, and if I were still running it I'd just plug it in instead of 4 scrounger.

I might be taking a long break or just play limited until the next set comes out. The MTGO online Meta is basically just Marvel and UR control. I could switch to UW flash or something to counter it but honestly the UR deck is just so boring to play against, even if it isn't particularly good, the matches just go on forever and I'd rather play Mardu mirrors for another 6 months then have every match be a 20 turn affair.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Rogue0071 posted:

As someone who actually talks to him regularly, Legacy is currently his favorite format and he's loved it since the top ban. He's also played brainstorm in Aluren and the reason he's on Deadguy Ale at the moment is because he thinks, rightly or wrongly, that the deck is decent in the post Miracles format, not hatred of brainstorm.

He's pretty short with trolls in chat and can be a bit acerbic in general but whatever, not every stream has to be Caleb Durward's. I've offered criticism of his plays or content plenty of times and never gotten banned or timed out. He's also one of the top Magic streamers whenever he's streaming Magic so not sure where the "lol he banned so many people that no one is watching him" comes from.

E: I'm also not sure when "thinks Reddit is garbage" became a controversial opinion around here.

Don't you mod his channel?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Welp I just had my most satisfying victory ever. I got Academy and my opponent was on Wildfire. Usually Academy cannot lose that match, but my opponent boarded into 600 cards because the Throwback Gauntlet Leagues are held in the Limited room, and therefore you can add basic lands during sideboarding. 600 cards is the maximum for MTGO. Yes, I know. Anyway I boarded out too many artifacts and could only mill 546 cards, so instead I wasted about 12 minutes off my opponents clock and boarded into 75 cards game 3. I won by wasting my opponents clock as much as possible, playing all my artifacts, and then Stroking them for about 200, holding up a couple Counterspells and a Turnabout to tap their lands, and then making them try to discard down to 7 in a minute and a half. They could not.

Taste it, bug abusing opponent, I know how to scum MTGO pretty hard.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Hellsau posted:

Welp I just had my most satisfying victory ever. I got Academy and my opponent was on Wildfire. Usually Academy cannot lose that match, but my opponent boarded into 600 cards because the Throwback Gauntlet Leagues are held in the Limited room, and therefore you can add basic lands during sideboarding. 600 cards is the maximum for MTGO. Yes, I know. Anyway I boarded out too many artifacts and could only mill 546 cards, so instead I wasted about 12 minutes off my opponents clock and boarded into 75 cards game 3. I won by wasting my opponents clock as much as possible, playing all my artifacts, and then Stroking them for about 200, holding up a couple Counterspells and a Turnabout to tap their lands, and then making them try to discard down to 7 in a minute and a half. They could not.

Taste it, bug abusing opponent, I know how to scum MTGO pretty hard.

:golfclap:

Reminds me of the time I let my extremely slow pauper Stompy opponent try to kill me for 20 minutes in game 2 while I was at like 30 life could gain a lot more and kill them any time I wanted. Eventually I got their clock to less than 2 minutes so I just played 2 Fangren Marauders and gained 90-something life. I think I might have had about 2 more turns left in game 3 (thanks Tangle!) when they timed out. I had something like 18 minutes left on my clock at the end. Screw 'em if they don't want to concede when they're dead.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

drat it.

I've been playing and tweaking this deck super intensively before SCG Baltimore next weekend. It's super good, but now I'm expecting people to be packing way too much hate.

Was hoping it wouldn't break out until next weekend

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Dehtraen posted:

Was he on Aluren or was he on that terrible mono red deck he was scrubbing out of tournaments with months ago?

The big red deck is much better than the garbage he's playing.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Walked posted:

drat it.

I've been playing and tweaking this deck super intensively before SCG Baltimore next weekend. It's super good, but now I'm expecting people to be packing way too much hate.

Was hoping it wouldn't break out until next weekend

Obviously it's better if no one expects it, but if you've been getting reps with the deck you are in a much better place than the people just picking it up. I recommend just doing some sideboard games vs meta decks with them sideboarding the worst things you can think of vs your deck. You can figure out what your outs are, and tweek your sideboard to play into that plan.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

teddust posted:

Obviously it's better if no one expects it, but if you've been getting reps with the deck you are in a much better place than the people just picking it up. I recommend just doing some sideboard games vs meta decks with them sideboarding the worst things you can think of vs your deck. You can figure out what your outs are, and tweek your sideboard to play into that plan.

Yep. That's still my hope - I have a ton of league runs on it and am actively tweaking the sideboard.

I'm trying to make a guess as to whether I actually expect to see storm in paper. It's everywhere online but I never run into in paper events.

Other than storm and grixis control it seems to have a pretty favorable matchup around the meta.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

Soul Glo posted:

I'm on the "Relentless Dead Isn't That Great" team. It doesn't do anything on the board besides be another synergistic 2/2 albeit with menace, and you have to burn mana when it dies to see upside. I felt good with Transgress in the 2-drop spot every time I sided it in today though, always for Fatal Push. It might be worth maining if control actually sees an uptick in the meta if UR impacts. I bet there's usually something worth hitting with Transgress against just about every deck that you're worried about.

I also stopped running Relentless Dead and replaced with Transgress the Mind. Running discard (exile) plus Anguished Unmaking really helps (particularly against New Perspectives).

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Sickening posted:

Don't you mod his channel?

I mod Caleb's channel. I don't mod Hoogland's. I'm not saying I don't enjoy Caleb's stream a lot, just that it's not the only type of content I can enjoy.

Rogue0071 fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 21, 2017

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
And the turn 1 on the play kill, bless you Legacy coverage. How I've missed you.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Definitely ban Ulamog tomorrow, thanks

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rogue0071 posted:

reddit is garbage but not sure what that has to do with hoogland being a baby

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Dehtraen posted:

And the turn 1 on the play kill, bless you Legacy coverage. How I've missed you.

What deck?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Cross posting!

AS FORETOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD!

1 Vendilion Clique
3 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
1 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
2 Liliana of the Veil
2 Liliana, the Last Hope

4 Ancestral Vision
4 As Foretold
1 Cryptic Command
2 Damnation
4 Fatal Push
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
2 Remand
1 Restore Balance
4 Serum Visions
1 Spell Snare

1 Creeping Tar Pit
4 Darkslick Shores
4 Flooded Strand
1 Godless Shrine
1 Hallowed Fountain
3 Island
4 Polluted Delta
2 Swamp
2 Tolaria West
2 Watery Grave

Sideboard:
1 Disenchant
1 Dispel
1 Esper Charm
2 Negate
2 Path to Exile
2 Rest in Peace
2 Thoughtseize
1 Seachrome Coast
3 Stony Silence

I brought this up in the general thread a couple weeks ago, but every time I look at where Modern is at lately, I think U/B is much better suited for control than U/W. But, I cannot argue how good U/W's sideboard options are. So, I decided to try to have my cake and eat it, too. The one thing I like about U/B's walker finishers is that unlike Elspeth, I don't have to pay 6 mana for them, meaning I can shave a land or two and play more interaction. My true list would run 3 x Liliana, the Last Hope, but I only have two at the moment.

Anywho, thoughts? Comments? Critiques?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
https://twitter.com/SaffronOlive/status/866319513951891457

The sad story of Amonkhet standard

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Alaan posted:

What deck?

Storm, they git probe'd their opponent, saw no force and just t1'd them

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Dehtraen posted:

Storm, they git probe'd their opponent, saw no force and just t1'd them

Gitaxian Probe: taking the skill out of Magic since 2011.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

suicidesteve posted:

Gitaxian Probe: taking the skill out of Magic since 2011.

Paying 2 life is a skill, sir.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

En Fuego posted:

Paying 2 life is a skill, sir.

You just get it back with the Tendrils anyway.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

This team constructed thing is one of the most entertaining things I've watched for MTG in a while, might be because it's new but I'm really enjoying it.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Top 8 GP Montreal:

1 Blue-Red Control
1 Black-Green Constrictor
1 Mono-Black Zombies
2 Mardu Vehicles
3 Temur Marvel

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
blue-red control looks sweet, dude just Gearhulk Memory-ied on his opponents end step while he was tapped out

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

YggdrasilTM posted:

Top 8 GP Montreal:

1 Blue-Red Control
1 Black-Green Constrictor
1 Mono-Black Zombies
2 Mardu Vehicles
3 Temur Marvel

Yeah that about sums up this format. Despite the prevalence of U/R and Marvel online, I don't think this format has a best deck. I decided to take an old, poorly optimized B/G Energy deck for a spin and I managed to go 4-1 losing in the finals to Marvel. If I had to pick I think we've come full circle to Mardu being the best deck again.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Managed to win my Game Day draft for the playmat. Made it through 5 rounds undefeated with U/W Zombies/tokens. Best cards were Temmet, Aven Wind Guide, and Oketra's Monument. Had lots of close games but managed to clutch it out. Time to go get murdered by Hazoret.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
That is a horrific misplay for the top 4 of a GP.... It's bad for FNM..... Would like to see Kevin Jones take this down.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Yeah that was an astonishing punt. The correct card to flashback was literally staring him in the face from the top of his graveyard.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

That was horrible.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I was sitting here thinking I was missing an interaction that prevented him from Disallowing that, but, uh

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

TwistedNails posted:

That was horrible.

Not as horrible as the one non-green land keep in the finals and not drawing another land

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Dehtraen posted:

Not as horrible as the one non-green land keep in the finals and not drawing another land

I switched back to the scg stream after the semifinals, who did that?

Edit: Nvm I switched back and hes going to lose the finals without casting a spell. lmao

TwistedNails fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 21, 2017

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Lets Pickle posted:

Managed to win my Game Day draft for the playmat. Made it through 5 rounds undefeated with U/W Zombies/tokens. Best cards were Temmet, Aven Wind Guide, and Oketra's Monument. Had lots of close games but managed to clutch it out. Time to go get murdered by Hazoret.

Your game day was a five round draft?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

clamiam45 posted:

Your game day was a five round draft?

Game days at the place I used to play at in Virginia did drafts because no one there played standard. :ssh:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Whats the rules for communication in team events in concern to whispering? Seems like it would be a no brainer that you are allowed to whisper, but other rules require information to be in the open mid game for other things.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

UR Control mirror in the semis.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Sickening posted:

Whats the rules for communication in team events in concern to whispering? Seems like it would be a no brainer that you are allowed to whisper, but other rules require information to be in the open mid game for other things.

I would assume it's allowed. Players are allowed to talk in their own language at worlds, and that usually means the opposing team doesn't understand them. Seems like it would be the same for whispering.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

AlternateNu posted:

Game days at the place I used to play at in Virginia did drafts because no one there played standard. :ssh:

Yeah the surprising part is the number of rounds, not the fact is draft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Quoting from reddit bolding mine

quote:

I played in a Comp REL tournament at a store today, and the following scenarios took place:

It's game three and my opponent casts Living End with three mana open on his turn. He wipes my board and return lethal to his board and I get back a Mausoleum Wanderer. I also have a Smuggler's Copter, he has no blockers for it, and he is sitting at three life. He has three cards in hand, and one of the cards that ETB is an Architect of Will he looks at the top three cards, looks at his hand, shuffles their position around and after awhile tells me he doesn't know what is his and what isn't. I call a judge. This is where things get lovely - the judge asks me if it would be alright if we roll a dice to decide which of the piles are his hand. I, not knowing what even happens in these scenarios, say yes. My opponent gets one of the piles, casts an Ingot Chewer, destroys my Copter, and I lose the turn after with no way to win.

Was it dumb to agree to the judge's idea? Probably, but he's a judge, he should know what happens. The way the issue was resolved just didn't seem right, and I'd like to know what the correct ruling was in this case.

Goddamn, I'm no judge, but I'm going to say that this should have been functionally "drawing extra cards". Other player probably should have gotten a game loss.