Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I am obligated to point out that the KOTOR comic by John Jackson Miller is quite good and points out how the Order is in decline. The whole thing with Jedi not being able to love was apparently being pushed by a minority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That comic is extremely good and everyone should read it.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

NikkolasKing posted:

One thing which kinda bugged me about KOTOR II is that, to match its tone, the setting is also quite different from KOTOR I. Or the situation is different, if that sounds better.

Like in KOTOR 1 the Jedi Order seems mostly fine. If you do the non-canon DS route they're toast but other than that there don't seem to be any major, existential issues. But then by KOTOR II they're on the verge of extinction.

So they survived the mass defections under Revan and Malak, and the subsequent wars with them, but Nihilus and Sion wiped them all out? Is that what is supposed to have happened? I can't recall the length of time between KOTOR 1 and 2.

But yeah, KOTOR II is such a "darker" game. KOTOR 1 is all about the wonder of "yay, I'm a Jedi like every little kid has wanted to be!" Then in 2 it's all like serious and depressing. So I guess it only makes sense that the Jedi could no longer be a thriving organization in such a story. It just feels very abrupt is all. I think that's part of why folks hated it.

This is also just a Star Wars thing at this point, or rather, a "we turned this one-off story into a franchise after it was successful" thing.

ANH: We blew up the Death Star, yay!
ESB: The Empire's stronger than ever and everybody's hiding in an ice cube

TFA: We blew up the Starkiller, yay!
TLJ: The First Order's stronger than ever and everybody's hiding in a spaceship

KOTOR 1: We blew up the Star Forge, yay!
KOTOR 2: Everybody died

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
At least KOTOR 2 and the trilogy said "a few years have passed and things got bad since then" while the sequels went "five minutes have passed since the end of the last movie and the galaxy has been conquered."

I know every film runs on some degree of time compression but Last Jedi's time compression was unmatched until Episode 9 came out and took place over the course of twelve hours.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Rochallor posted:

This is also just a Star Wars thing at this point, or rather, a "we turned this one-off story into a franchise after it was successful" thing.

ANH: We blew up the Death Star, yay!
ESB: The Empire's stronger than ever and everybody's hiding in an ice cube

Yeah, I was about to post about this, because it's always been a bit funny to me. As mentioned earlier, the Empire still needed the Senate around for years, because "the bureaucracy" was needed to "keep the local systems line". But now they had the Death Star, so that wasn't a thing anymore, bye bye Senate. When the Death Star is destroyed at the end of ANH, the Empire should be absolutely hosed. And I think, if Star Wars had only ever been one movie, that's a perfectly reasonable conclusion to reach, that's the fall of the Empire, because they put all their eggs in the Death Star basket. But then ESB comes along, it's 3 years later, and the Empire is doing better than ever. Sure by ROTJ time it's clear they're making a new Death Star, but no one knows that yet. I guess the destruction of the Death Star is seen as a rallying point for the Rebellion (isn't that when the Mon Calamari join?) so maybe that really is the beginning of their fall? But from the two movies alone, it's a bit jarring of a transition.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I guess the retcon logic is that the Death Star was supposed to remove the requirement for the Senate to give people the illusion of their voices mattering, and when that went boom they reverted to boring old boots on the ground oppression via fleet-bourne giant robots.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Yeah, I think the Empire's position in ESB is shakier than it looks. They're going all out with the big ships and shows of force because they kind of have to after losing the Senate and Death Star, but their underlying situation is getting worse as the Rebellion gets stronger. At the time of Yavin they've been around for 19 years without any serious threats, but they pretty much collapse starting four years later. ESB is basically their last big moment before everything starts going to hell (barring any future returns of Palpatine in either canon).

E: Also thinking about how the new canon emphasizes even more how much the Empire spent their first two decades in power trying to stomp out various local rebellions and Jedi enclaves, blowing up Alderaan (and to a lesser extent, killing Obi-Wan) is pretty much their high water mark. The moment they've managed to eliminate all their biggest enemies and finally secured ultimate rule over the galaxy, some hick from Tatooine screws it all up and it's just downhill from there.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 20, 2024

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the empire being in deep poo poo during ESB isn't really shown on-screen but despite rebel leadership being nearly caught at hoth the rebellion as a whole has a lot more resources than pre-yavin as the one-two punch of "oh poo poo they destroyed a core world" and "oh...but they can't do that to US because the death star is gone" rallied a lot of ambivalent worlds to the cause. this is apparent by the time of rotj where now the rebels can put together a fleet that can go toe to toe with an enormous imperial fleet but the force build-up to that moment had to have been going on for years

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yeah, this is peak era of the Empire having to keep a lot of resources devoted to keeping things under control. A giant Super Star Destroyer and its accompanying fleet is good fun but also that's a lot of ship to have out there to find a band of plucky rebels in an asteroid belt. Also they've got a lot of systems under blockade and that's not cheap or easy.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 20, 2024

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Plus in new canon the Alliance is only a few years old, wasn't ready for open conflict, and got all the fleet they could muster destroyed at Scarif. I think legends had a similar battle shortly after Yavin that put the Rebels on a back foot. So in the short term the Empire comes down with overwhelming force and the Rebels can't handle it, but in the long run the Empire managed to scare a lot of fence sitters while the Alliance showed they could stand up to them militarily

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Jazerus posted:

the empire being in deep poo poo during ESB isn't really shown on-screen but despite rebel leadership being nearly caught at hoth the rebellion as a whole has a lot more resources than pre-yavin as the one-two punch of "oh poo poo they destroyed a core world" and "oh...but they can't do that to US because the death star is gone" rallied a lot of ambivalent worlds to the cause. this is apparent by the time of rotj where now the rebels can put together a fleet that can go toe to toe with an enormous imperial fleet but the force build-up to that moment had to have been going on for years
It's worth remembering that there aren't actually that many ships at Endor compared to how big the fleet is, because moving them from where they were normally deployed would have tipped off the Rebellion that it's... ye know... a trap.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Almost done with Allegiance. I am thinking a lot on the characterization of Vader who, in a homicidal rage, nearly killed Mara for no real reason.

Now OT Vader also killed people for little reason, but it all got me thinking. About how Anakin is often interpreted as being overly emotional and this is why folks hated him compared to the "badass" Vader. But I have to wonder if this perception is not unlike the perception of another "badass" father who is actually very emotional and petty - Gendo Ikari. Oh sure, Vader and Gendo put on masks of dispassion, but neither is ever truly the detached mastermind they pretend to be. Vader in the films might kill officers while delivering an emotionless voice-over, but I wonder if we're actually supposed to interpret this as truly emotionless. Is it really any different from him losing his mind and trying to slice Mara in half? And is any of this different from when Anakin lost his temper in, say, Labyrinth of Evil?

Of course, Allegiance is written post-Prequels. Zahn's perception of Vader would be shaped by the Prequels depiction of Anakin. But ignoring such out-of-universe logic, I just like when the line between Anakin and Vader is not so distinct, no matter how "cool" Vader acts and certainly no matter how much certain fans really want there to be a huge divide.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Peoole think Vader is badass because he wears a long black coat while murdering people. That's all there is to it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I was just talking about the "whiny Anakin" complaint and it's one of those things that it's a shame wasn't executed better since it's an interesting parallel to Luke also being a whiny teenager, which fits with why Yoda is so worried about training him

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

The reason Anakin comes off as whiny imo is twofold.

1) We don't see much of his complaints against Obi-Wan because they're separated for most of the movie, so we really only have Anakin's word for it. The only time we see them together is during the opening Coruscant bit and Obi-Wan's advice is generally pretty good? Be patient, don't jump out of a moving car, don't run into a potentially hostile environment without your laser sword. He's nagging, sure, but he's not wrong. Additionally, the audience knows that Obi-Wan turns out to be a wise master and Anakin a genocidal dictator, so we're predisposed to trust Obi-Wan and the movie doesn't do a great job showing Anakin's perspective on things.

2) His biggest visible obstacle pre-Tatooine is getting really horny for Padme but not being allowed to gently caress. Yeah yeah it's actually true love denied by society's rules, but their dialogue and chemistry sucks so that's how it comes off, especially when Anakin comes in scorching hot right out of the gate with saying Padme's sexy as hell two seconds after they've reunited. After Shmi dies, Anakin's character improves a lot but at that point it's kinda too late, we're already in a post-I Hate Sand universe and it's tough to make the audience change their mind on this. A better-written movie could have pulled this off, but Episode II is not that

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 24, 2024

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

TCW does a good job of fleshing out Anakin’s character a lot more so that it actually feels tragic when he does fall later on. Lots of moments where his reckless behavior saves the day but it’s clear he’s on the edge.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Casimir Radon posted:

TCW does a good job of fleshing out Anakin’s character a lot more so that it actually feels tragic when he does fall later on. Lots of moments where his reckless behavior saves the day but it’s clear he’s on the edge.

Yeah, I think to a degree the prequels seem to have gotten a rehab because you've got younger viewers who only ever watched them alongside the Clone Wars cartoon so there are blanks they can more easily fill in when we were just coasting on Anakin muttering "Everything here is smooth" and pawing Padme. (Which is, you know, George's fault to be clear.)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Marvel Star Wars (2020) #46 gives us a fascinating look into Mon Mothma and her view on the Empire after her kidnapping during Lando's trial

quote:

"My name is Hachi. To make my way, I kidnap high-value targets. It affords me a good living. But as a side benefit, I get to meet some of the galaxy's most powerful and influential beings. You, Senator Mothma, qualify. So - this isn't an interrogation, this is a conversation."

"What a coincidence. Conversation, more-or-less, is how I make my way. Ask your questions, Hachi."

"Well, to start, you were a senator, back when there was still a senate. Even after Palpatine dissolved it, you were still rich. You could have lived comfortably forever. The Empire is kind to the wealthy. Why did you throw it all away to join the Rebel Alliance?"

"I believe that freedom is an essential right to all living beings. It can be surrendered or exchanged, if a person chooses to - For example, a person might cede a portion of their liberty to an employer to gain credits. But it should always be a choice. Freedom should never be taken."

"Come on, this isn't a philosophy class. Talk to me like a person."

"Hnh...fair enough. The path starts differently for every rebel, but we all eventually reach two moments of clarity. First, something happens to pull back the veil. The fundamental evil of the Empire's rule is made clear. You feel the grim reality of it down to your bones. Second, you decide that reality is intolerable - not just for others, but for you. For anyone. And then you fight, however you can. For me, that began with a watervine peach."

"A peach? A piece of fruit? ...I suspect this will be fascinating."

"I had my first watervine peach when I was 15 years old. It was exquisite. Light and perfect with the tiniest tang of sea salt to offset the sweet. They were exceedingly rare, unable to be cultivated outside a small region of their homeworld. I had them when I could and always looked forward to my next. One day, they were gone. Unable to be found in any market for any price. I was a senator by then and made inquiries. I learned that a high-ranking Imperial officer had decided he also liked the fruit. He insisted that all available quantities be made available to him and his cronies. The locals who grew the watervine peach refused, at which point, this officer destroyed the orchards. There are none left in the galaxy. The officer faced no penalties. The officer decided I would never taste that fruit again. He decided no one would ever taste it again. He made a choice for everyone. That's the Empire. And that peach is every choice."

"All right, so that peach... That's what opened your eyes to how things actually work. What made you realize that you needed to do something about it?"

"It doesn't matter. Let me try to explain this in a different way. What's your name?"

"I told you my name. It's Hachi."

"No it's not. I don't want it to be, so it's not. Now your name is Grent. What do you do, Grent?"

"This is ridiculous. I'm the leader of a cell of highly trained mercenaries."

"No. You will work in a mine, because I need metal more than I need mercenaries. Who or what do you love, Grent?"

"I love my knife, and I love my wife."

"You can't have either. Miners don't need knives, and I need your wife to be a farmer on a world far away. Beyond that, I'm not sure the two of you make a good match. No. You no longer have your knife or your wife, Grent."

"This is stupid. I see what you're doing, but that's not how it is for me. I'm free. No one tells me what to do or how to live."

"That's only because they haven't gotten around to it yet, Grent. If the Empire wanted to, they could take everything you are, everything you love, everything you might one day be. There would be nothing you could do about it, and they probably wouldn't even give you a reason. They would do it because you do not exist to them. No person does. They don't care because they don't have to. You're not Hachi. You're not even Grent. To them, you're nothing."

"That's not how it is! Not for everyone."

"Tell that to the people of Alderaan."

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

I'm in the middle of Scoundrels right now (thanks, thread) and it's been a fun dumb heist so far. I did find myself double checking when it was published because of a couple weirdly out of place references though. No one remembers the Jedi but a random con artist knows enough about Revan and Malak to make an offhand reference to them??

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Vinylshadow posted:

Marvel Star Wars (2020) #46 gives us a fascinating look into Mon Mothma and her view on the Empire after her kidnapping during Lando's trial

It’s better than no politics at all but I’m not convinced by the “I can’t get peaches any more” theory of political radicalization. It’s the kind of pat personal anecdote writers always seem to use in place of characters just having, you know, strong political convictions.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Plus wasn't Mon Mothma always one of the more pro-establishment Rebels? She was with the dissidents during the Clone Wars who wanted the emergency powers repealed but she never struck me as someone who fully radicalized even after making a run for it. She was always about restoring the status quo both in old Canon and via her appearances in the new Canon.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
In a weird way Mon Mothma's introduction in ROTJ is the one that feels the most at odds with her character now. This hand-wringing politician is the one giving a briefing about blowing up the Death Star? She's just lucky that anybody who remembered her hemming and hawing about the first Death Star is dead already?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
She's the political leader of the rebellion at that point. If she wants to give a briefing, who's going to tell her no?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
It's funny how Legends Mon Mothma is the complete opposite of the modern version - she was the firebrand idealist who turned the rebellion from a controlled opposition into an active military threat to the Empire, and was aggressive enough that Bel Iblis ended up breaking away from the mainstream rebellion out of fear she'd turn out to be another Palpatine if she won.

She wasn't rebelling because she couldn't get any more nice peaches.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Reading that anecdote as a summation of Mon Mothma's personality and motivations throughout the entire story of the rebellion seems a bit willfully blind. Clearly she has loftier ideals by the time Andor rolls around compared to whatever point in time the Peach anecdote refers to, and Mon even tries to articulate them first only to have them rejected by the person she's speaking to for sounding too high-minded. So she tells the Peach anecdote instead, and through it basically communicates the same ideals as before but in a way that she can make her audience of one personally relate to. Unless some other EU source confirms that it actually happened, I'm inclined to believe she just made it up on the spot like a proper politician.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Being wilfully blind is how we engage with Star Wars though.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Slashrat posted:

Reading that anecdote as a summation of Mon Mothma's personality and motivations throughout the entire story of the rebellion seems a bit willfully blind. Clearly she has loftier ideals by the time Andor rolls around compared to whatever point in time the Peach anecdote refers to

I find it pretty hard to believe that Mon Mothma, a senator, was radicalized by her inability to access peaches (shades of Auralnauts???) rather than by being a democratically (?) elected politician during the fall of the Republic and the rise of the Empire. American writing often treats politics as a thing of the present, a reluctant reaction to now-unavoidable truths, a break from the hazy idealized past where we didn't need political beliefs because everything was fine - rather than as something human beings constantly engage in. Especially ones who are professional politicians.

I'm not disputing that this sounds like the kind of anecdote a politician might use, just saying I don't like it much.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Hearing about "Mon Mothma's kidnapping" and "Lando's trial" just makes me realize how out of touch for the last half decade of the New EU I am.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Slashrat posted:

Clearly she has loftier ideals by the time Andor rolls around compared to whatever point in time the Peach anecdote refers to

quote:

The path starts differently for every rebel, but we all eventually reach two moments of clarity. First, something happens to pull back the veil. The fundamental evil of the Empire's rule is made clear. You feel the grim reality of it down to your bones. Second, you decide that reality is intolerable - not just for others, but for you. For anyone. And then you fight, however you can.

It's the same kind of speech Maarva Andor gave

quote:

We've been sleeping. We've had each other, and Ferrix, our work, our days. We had each other, and they left us alone. We kept the trade lanes open, and they left us alone. We took their money and ignored them, we kept their engines churning, and the moment they pulled away, we forgot them. Because we had each other. We had Ferrix.

But we were sleeping. I've been sleeping. And I've been turning away from the truth I wanted not to face. There is a wound that won't heal at the center of the galaxy. There is a darkness reaching like rust into everything around us. We let it grow, and now it's here. It's here, and it's not visiting anymore. It wants to stay. The Empire is a disease that thrives in darkness, it is never more alive than when we sleep.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The difference is that Maarva's speech is actually good and we'd been along for the ride witnessing the Imperial occupation and seeing the flashbacks to her husband's murder. We can see from who Maarva is and what she went through to understand how she finally found a line that had been crossed.

It's not a rich aristocrat bemoaning the lack of exotic peaches in her refrigerator.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 27, 2024

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

It does feel like Charles Soule saw Andor, enjoyed the Mon Mothma storyline, then tried to recreate aspects of it in the comics

Which doesn't quite work since Mothma's rarely at the forefront of any story, and they've been mired down in several year-long multi-comic series story arcs, hence why it's shoehorned into Lando's trial (she was kidnapped, gave her speech, and promptly rescued right after it)

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Chairman Capone posted:

Hearing about "Mon Mothma's kidnapping" and "Lando's trial" just makes me realize how out of touch for the last half decade of the New EU I am.

I really enjoyed the first couple of years of comics and was looking into what's been going on recently, and it looks like it's been non-stop crossovers for like the last... three years? It seems completely impenetrable now.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The mainline books have turned into the usual Marvel stream of events and crossovers and references to Marvel comics from the 70s, but the miniseries are usually better.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

At least the volumes make is a bit more readable, but issue to issue it's an utter nightmare

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Dark_Droids

The 'crossover' section is just silly

War of the Bounty Hunters was probably the worst offender, since many series took place concurrently, with the same scenes and dialogue, but drawn from a different character's point of view, so god help you if you were off by a couple of issues and jumped ahead two story beats since the series are released out of sync with one another

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_War_of_the_Bounty_Hunters

hm yes I will read issues 1, 13, 14, 13, 11 in order, this makes sense

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The political situation inThe Force Awakens seemed vague and weird to me. You have the Republic with their mighty fleet, weren't they supposed to be the major galactic power? The First Order - they're more like a rogue state or rebellion, right? But then there's the Resistance. Shouldn't the Resistance just be the Republic? I don't get it!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Mulaney Power Move posted:

The political situation inThe Force Awakens seemed vague and weird to me. You have the Republic with their mighty fleet, weren't they supposed to be the major galactic power? The First Order - they're more like a rogue state or rebellion, right? But then there's the Resistance. Shouldn't the Resistance just be the Republic? I don't get it!

this part does actually make sense- the resistance (terrible name tho) is basically a semi deniable paramilitary group thats out fighting the remnants of the empire because the republic can't be bothered. they're basically the provisional ira with fighter jets. now from there the rest of the story gets really stupid, but the initial premise could have worked out

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
It mostly makes sense if you factor in a whole bunch of details that the movie itself never actually tells you

In short, it is the Elijah Wood tweet

https://x.com/elijahwood/status/1229632586760081409

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

this part does actually make sense- the resistance (terrible name tho) is basically a semi deniable paramilitary group thats out fighting the remnants of the empire because the republic can't be bothered. they're basically the provisional ira with fighter jets. now from there the rest of the story gets really stupid, but the initial premise could have worked out

no i think the first part is pretty stupid too

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Mulaney Power Move posted:

no i think the first part is pretty stupid too

States sponsoring militant groups to fight wars they don’t want to get involved in is for better or worse extremely common and could’ve been the foundation for a cool story.

I think there’s a version of the sequel trilogy that is much more about money money money and therefore in line with both my and George Lucas’ interests. Unfortunately this would involve space politics and therefore frighten Disney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

“The Resistance is Hezbollah” could only have led to a lot of extremely normal, cool discussions about Star Wars.