Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

moosecow333 posted:

I’m not sure, but from what I’ve heard the game dev team didn’t have to go through any sort of crunch.

One of my favorite things is when people aren’t forced to work poo poo hours to make games.

mind you, there's a loophole here - most larger studios offload crunch to dedicated outsourcers who routinely work their employees for 12-16 hour days seven days a week

the fact that these AAA studios take advantage of those outsourcers and still work their own employees to death is just an extra layer of poo poo on the lasagna

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Oxxidation posted:

mind you, there's a loophole here - most larger studios offload crunch to dedicated outsourcers who routinely work their employees for 12-16 hour days seven days a week

the fact that these AAA studios take advantage of those outsourcers and still work their own employees to death is just an extra layer of poo poo on the lasagna

Yeah, this is the hard part about bigger games with 'no crunch' promises, they often outsource work to studios who ABSOLUTELY do that and are too far out of the spotlight to need to apologize.

You can only really trust that sort of promise from a game that absolutely did all of its development in-house. Like, I can trust Supergiant when they say they don't, because they made Hades by themselves.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Insomniac and pretty much every single other AAA developer routinely outsource some element of their work to studios in Malaysia or Singapore that do absolutely and unapologetically crunch their employees. While I don't think they can be held directly responsible for that exactly, I do think that it's more than a little cynical to use "nope nope no crunch here" as another marketing gimmick to appeal to The Conscientous Gamer when the end product has almost certainly benefited from unpaid labor.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i should mention before things get even more cynical that the 'no crunch' wasn't a marketing thing, it was a thing mentioned offhand recently on a dev's personal account that got spread around and reported on + all other devs reached out to to ask about it concurred. 'they outsourced some work to a third party that DID crunch' is still entirely possible, but y'all are attacking it as if it was the headlining thing about the game instead of something that came out after the fact

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

My response was more identifying some recent statements by Hermen Hulst, the head of Playstation Studios and other publishers acknowledging the existence of crunch in game development. I obviously think it's important that these practices are being called out as a clearly bad thing that some AAA developers are attempting to avoid, but I also think that outsourcing your misery to Indonesia is also not an ideal solution, and every leading studio is doing it these days.

Anyway none of those things is a fun little game detail, so I will say something I like about Guilty Gear Strive. Since the beta I've been maining Giovanna, a really straightforward rushdown character who really doesn't have any especially unique gimmicks to her moveset. I love that the lyrics to her (extremely kickass) theme song are all about how what you see is what you get and you shouldn't expect to much from her. "I just wanna be a pretty girl with a brutish impulse" is an entire mood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3FBjtEcB2U

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

exquisite tea posted:

"I just wanna be a pretty girl with a brutish impulse"

:same:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Fallout 4 When you join the Railroad Deacon becomes available as a companion. He's a spy so he will constantly change what he's wearing. If you decide to join the Brotherhood of Steel against the Railway you have to kill Deacon. When you loot his body you will see that he has a lot of clothes on him.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Alhazred posted:

Fallout 4 When you join the Railroad Deacon becomes available as a companion. He's a spy so he will constantly change what he's wearing. If you decide to join the Brotherhood of Steel against the Railway you have to kill Deacon. When you loot his body you will see that he has a lot of clothes on him.

Also once if you get far enough down the Railroad storyline, you get access to special items that imply this is standard protocol for them.

There's a lot of really good detail work in Fallout 4 which just makes it all the more frustrating that the actual core game isn't very good.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Actually reading through the case files in sleeping dogs basically lays out the plot. I haven't read them in a real long time but the pieces are already there.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Finished reading Umineko after a decade and I really appreciated how it not only presented the solution to every past mystery in metaphor but also forced you, the reader, to be the one to solve a murder mystery at the end. :allears:

There's also lots of very bad and questionable stuff, but details!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

Finished reading Umineko after a decade and I really appreciated how it not only presented the solution to every past mystery in metaphor but also forced you, the reader, to be the one to solve a murder mystery at the end. :allears:

I described it as the greatest piece of fiction ever written and I stand by that. Few things in the world were made with such love towards it's fans and the genre it represents

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I got a hilarious bug in ME1 LE and thought I'd share:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaPMTkwiYXE

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Ratchet actually responds to the enemies random dialogue sometimes. And they have a lot of dialogue, including both male and female voices for robots.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Manhunter has some jank- the auto-focus doesn’t work very well and that makes combat tricky- but it’s forgiving enough that it’s not a game breaker. It’s fun in short bursts and I’m glad that somebody’s doing a “cause problems on purpose” game nowadays.

When the previews came out it looked like the combat was based around dodging attacks so I started calling it "Shark Souls" and like 3 people laughed. It is a real fun game though it gets repetitive. The humor is good too.

Push El Burrito has a new favorite as of 09:02 on Jun 13, 2021

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Many of the quests in the Witcher 3 could be navigated more effectively if you read in-world materials and your encyclopedia. It was probably the most elegant implementation of that kind of system I've seen in game -- it didn't force you into reading reams of stuff to succeed, but it rewarded you for doing a little bit of detective work.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Gaius Marius posted:

I described it as the greatest piece of fiction ever written and I stand by that.

lmao

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The greatsword in Assassin's Creed: Valhalla feels really loving good to use. It almost feels like a faster Souls-style greatsword. I'm having so much fun cutting down waves of baddies with it. :swoon:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

On the topic of terrible design, New Pokemon Snap has requests, which are little sub-missions of particular photos they want. Except you can only filter them by Island (there are about 5 islands and each one has 2 or 3 areas in it) and you can only sort them by Complete or Incomplete, meaning if you clear one you have to go in, filter to the island you were at, sort by complete, and then jump through a few pages to find it.
It's not exactly complicated or hard, but it's incredibly tedious

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Jeza posted:

Many of the quests in the Witcher 3 could be navigated more effectively if you read in-world materials and your encyclopedia. It was probably the most elegant implementation of that kind of system I've seen in game -- it didn't force you into reading reams of stuff to succeed, but it rewarded you for doing a little bit of detective work.

Could you provide a couple of examples? I believe you but it’s been ages since I played it and I’d enjoy hearing about how that pans out.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Vic posted:

https://i.imgur.com/N6JeHIg.mp4
I couldn't rest until this had an appropriate soundtrack

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Captain Hygiene posted:

:discourse:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Close the thread, we're not getting better than that

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

The real real killer was
Thomas Midgley Jr., inventor of tetraethyl lead, a poison that causes people to hallucinate butterflies and display erratic and violent behavior. This was a medical mystery all along.

*blue text* There was a large amount of heavy metals on the island, which caused all their deaths! That is the truth!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Captain Hygiene posted:

Video thread titles when

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Tunicate posted:

The real real killer was
Thomas Midgley Jr., inventor of tetraethyl lead, a poison that causes people to hallucinate butterflies and display erratic and violent behavior. This was a medical mystery all along.

*blue text* There was a large amount of heavy metals on the island, which caused all their deaths! That is the truth!

It's too bad that they lampshaded Higurashi like 5 hours in, would have made for a hilarious ending.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

"This time the disease isn't fictional, y'all."

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Vic posted:

I remember when the Freelance Astronauts got this bug on their playthrough of ME1.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

New Ratchet & Clank starting off good with a topiary gun that turns enemies into sculpted bushes that you can whack down at your leisure :v:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's beautiful

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk is a dungeon crawl game that flips to a turn based combat screen when you encounter an enemy. There’s spots in the dungeons where gravity is inverted and you walk on the ceiling. If you run into an enemy while on the gravity flipping tile, their sprite will be upside down while you’re fighting them.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Push El Burrito posted:

Ratchet actually responds to the enemies random dialogue sometimes. And they have a lot of dialogue, including both male and female voices for robots.

Hell yeah, that loving owns a lot. The reveal trailer screams as they're falling through portals sounded really weak for some reason so I'm glad that they put the work to voice acting to good use in other parts of it at least.

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 05:48 on Jun 14, 2021

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've started playing this old PS2 shooter called Secret Service and it has some charming aspects to it, both the writing and the encounter design.

The banter between the main character and the guy helping him over the radio is fun. Like at one point a secondary obstacle comes up that the main character wasn't warned about and when he calls out the guy on the radio it results in this exchange:
"Wow, you really want everything handed to you, huh?"
"Hey, if you're going to be my eyes and ears it would help if you weren't blind and deaf!"

Also the encounters have a bit of variety, even when you are going between rooms that are similar to each other you are often approaching them from different angles so the enemies can approach in different ways, and it's starting to combine different types of obstacles, like I'm at a room with security guns, invisible lasers (that detonate bombs if crossed) that you need to avoid using night vision goggles and normal enemies as well, and a prior room was kind of a multi-storey maze across two rooms with a bunch of walkways, laser tripwire bombs and an electrified floor so you had to figure out how to get to the far corner avoiding all that poo poo. There are also pretty cute collectibles in the Cellphones, which unlock text messages/audio clips that help add character to the story and sometimes have a mildly satirical angle to them.

I made a video of the second level: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOl-98sVh1U

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 21:51 on Jun 15, 2021

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
BioEnchanted, I used to be annoyed with you, but now I see that you are a gift.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Mass Effect 3 Legendary Edition: all the guns from multiplayer are now in single player. And most of them are cheap and available right after Palaven.

Commander Shepard's shopping cart from her second trip to the Citadel this game included the Kishok harpoon gun, Venom grenade launcher, and executioner pistol.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cythereal posted:

Mass Effect 3 Legendary Edition: all the guns from multiplayer are now in single player. And most of them are cheap and available right after Palaven.

Commander Shepard's shopping cart from her second trip to the Citadel this game included the Kishok harpoon gun, Venom grenade launcher, and executioner pistol.

They were in single-player in the original game, they were just DLC packs.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Does the LE carry over anything from the old games, or even better just unlock all the perks off the bat? I'm tempted but I don't want to have to play through it 3 times again to be able to use a shotgun

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Retro Futurist posted:

Does the LE carry over anything from the old games, or even better just unlock all the perks off the bat? I'm tempted but I don't want to have to play through it 3 times again to be able to use a shotgun

All classes in 1 are able to use all guns just fine. Not so much in 2. 1’s shooting is also way, way improved.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

1's combat is technically improved but obviously you can't fix the fundamental issues like the lack of punch, lack of impact, and lack of flavour.

The only real flaw with 2's combat is that half the classes are stuck with just a pistol and an SMG for the first half of the game.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Secret Service does some clever stylistic things that are quite satisfying to watch play out.

Like most of the cutscenes are blue and red wireframe people talking about stuff, and towards the end one of the "good" guys is in the middle of being proved a traitor - so while the main character is laying out his case, the traitor's wireframe switches to amber as a warning that he's starting to freak out, and then finally it turns red along with his fellow traitors and suddenly what was a friendly chat has become a hostage situation. I thought that was interesting cutscene direction.

Also it has that bit in most FPS games where you get to shoot from a helicopter, but the helicopter gun has night-vision so all the people that you shoot are little white silhouettes, and the helicopter gun is powerful enough that when you hit them it loving LAUNCHES them so it's just little white figures ragdolling everywhere and it's really satisfying to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I always thought the reason for modern fighting games having such weirdly huge filesizes was because they have to include a couple dozen characters with as much visual detail as would usually go into a game's protagonist.

But that can't be right, because Guilty Gear Strive is a lean 16 GB or so on PC, and has so much detail on the characters that there is readable text on many clothes and weapons, several of which you rarely even get a close enough look at to read. It reminds me of how Yoji Shinkawa loved putting descriptive names and labels on his military/tech designs, only for just pure fashion.