Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Again you com to fhuk us your highness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Jehde posted:

Yeah... This was one of my big takeaways too. Over the years I had become somewhat of a jar jar apologist, with his much more downplayed inclusions in the later prequel movies and especially clone wars. I forgot how bad jar jar was out of the gates, and just how much they front load his awfulness in the first half of the movie. I feel so bad for Ahmed Best being done so dirty in his first role like that.

I also forgot how bad the acting was all around.

However the overall plot of the movie still holds up pretty well. The complaints about too much trade negotiation talk are overblown. It still moves like a star wars movie does.

Also the CGI holds up better than I expected. In the special editions of the original trilogy, the new CGI is just kind of shoehorned in randomly and it can be a little bit jarring seeing the new CGI in contrast with the old '70s film work. The Phantom Menace is much more cohesive, where you can still tell the CGI is pretty early, but it works much better with everything else going on. It's hard to deny that The Phantom Menace has a unique vision, and it mostly hits its mark.

As a much more full throated jar jar defender I take issue with the pathetic implication that it's Lucas & crew who did Ahmed Best dirty, and not the fans. Who cast him in a lead role recognizing his skill at voice work & physical comedy? Versus who subjected him to deranged and often racist abuse for decades? Fans want their entitlement to be respected, but don't want any responsibility for their own behaviour.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Fans didn’t write that character. They shouldn’t harass anyone but Lucas made the character pretty awful. Same with Anakin. Anakin just isn’t that cool or interesting.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What is awful about Jar Jar ?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

Same with Anakin. Anakin just isn’t that cool or interesting.

Yeah, the original casting call for the character really boiled him down to "a nice young boy with no flaws".

quote:

ANAKIN SKYWALKER (DARTH VADER): Caucasian, 8-9. Anakin is a handsome young boy with extraordinary charm. He has a vulnerability and earnestness that makes him totally disarming. His amazing aptitude for things mechanical together with his quick wit and physical fitness make him a natural pilot at an early age, maturing into a fighter pilot of exceptional talent. Anakin's resourceful imagination and inventive mind already set him apart from others. OBI WAN KENOBI is later to recognize his innate gifts, becoming his friend and mentor teaching him the attributes of a Jedi Knight. Anakin is a role model of the highest order, someone every boy would like to be...LEAD.

There was also this creepy casting call for Padme.

quote:

THE QUEEN: Eurasian/Latina girl 13-14. An enchanting young girl, already showing signs of blossoming into a sensual, exotic darkhaired beauty. By contrast, however, she has the reserve, political accumen, poise and bearing of a queen and ruler, together with a natural wisdom and sensativity that cannot be taught. A strong, spirited, and highly intelligent girl, she is quick to learn the principals of justice and honor. She is a great leader and it is apparent to all.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

euphronius posted:

CelticPredator posted:

Also with Jar Jar he ain’t very sympathetic imo. He’s not just a hapless idiot but a pretty mischievously malicious one. He knows what he’s doing is bad but he does it any way until someone attacks him. Over and over and over. My memory just recalled him as a goof who stumbles but the dude frequently sneaks food he know he shouldn’t and steals and touches things he’s not supposed too and at the end he learns loving nothing

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ok you mean in the movie he is a bad person. I thought you meant he’s a bad character .

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Jar Jar kind of makes sense when you learn that he's inspired by George Lucas' son, who was a toddler when he was writing the movie. He's basically a giant amphibious two year old.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

euphronius posted:

Ok you mean in the movie he is a bad person. I thought you meant he’s a bad character .

Both. I think he’s an awful character because he’s a bad person. He’s not very endearing, or interesting.

He’s funny when you’re a child though. I’ll give Lucas that. I liked Jar Jar when I was 8.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Robot Style posted:

Jar Jar kind of makes sense when you learn that he's inspired by George Lucas' son, who was a toddler when he was writing the movie. He's basically a giant amphibious two year old.

Honestly the character is too old for that. I don’t know what age jar jar is supposed to be but he’s clearly at the youngest a teenager or the oldest a young adult and that trait just doesn’t work for someone like that

If jar jar was just clumsy he’d be a bit more endearing.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Jar Jar is too genuinely dumb to be interesting in his shittiness. A character doesn't need to have to have "redeeming features" but Jar Jar doesn't have anything.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah. By the end of the film he doesn’t grow or change and saves the day by still being clumsy. Which to my adult self with another decade of Star Wars behind him, it just doesn’t work

He just needed something else to make him more endearing

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

euphronius posted:

Someone post the tongue candy

Robot Style posted:

There was also this creepy casting call for Padme.

Don't like that

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah. By the end of the film he doesn’t grow or change and saves the day by still being clumsy. Which to my adult self with another decade of Star Wars behind him, it just doesn’t work

He just needed something else to make him more endearing

I think this is sorta the point. Almost nobody changes positively in the entire trilogy. Maybe Padme or Yoda. Their fates are sealed, their victory is pyrrhic. The flaws you mentioned are the same as Qui-Gonn's, and part of everyone's inability to see the bigger picture.

Like, everyone in the Phantom Menace exists in a synthesis of a Flash Gordon short and a neoclassical painting. Everyone acts larger than life and in service of a supposedly enlightened government and religious system. Flash Gordon Wins simply because he embodies Goodness and Freedom more than his enemy, who is Only Evil. George Washington looks like a hero crossing the Delaware, because he serves Freedom and Democracy. But that's not the reality of the situation, everyone lives or dies basically on luck. Jar Jar doesn't save anything, but he survives by being clumsy and not really behaving like a soldier. The only thing that saves anyone is, depending on your perspective, the blind chance of the force deciding or not deciding to reactivate his ship (green/red lights paralleling both the podracer and the red/blue dice roll), or R2D2.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

euphronius posted:

Nothing

He is perfect

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

FunkyAl posted:

everyone lives or dies basically on luck.

And their social status.

As an extension of the stuff he was doing with the Rebels, Ben Kenobi & Yoda, and the Ewoks, Lucas was really leaning into "this character or group who seem unimportant or inferior are actually the most important people in the universe right now" with the characters in Episode I:
  • When the Jedi board the Trade Federation ship as high-status envoys of the Republic, they're immediately attacked and have to retreat to the surface, where they encounter low-status Jar Jar.
  • Jar Jar then leads them to his city, where they're arrested and brought before the high-status Boss Nass. Now that the Jedi are low-status in this situation, they're able to trick him into letting them take a submarine.
  • When the Jedi rescue the Queen and escape, it's the low-status worker droid R2-D2 that gets them past the blockade.
  • On Tatooine, Qui-Gon throwing around his high-status Republic money and Jedi powers gets him nowhere when dealing with Watto, and he's reduced to bartering.
  • Low-status Anakin wins the podrace against higher-status professional racers, and later on is able to blow up the Trade Federation ship where Naboo's royal pilots couldn't.
  • On Coruscant, high-status Chancellor Valorum is unable to do anything to help, but lower-status Senator Palpatine is able to get Valorum ousted.
  • When negotiating with the Gungans, the high-status Queen is unable to secure their help, but low-status Padme is able to get the Gungans to die for her by lowering her society beneath theirs.
  • Jedi Master Qui-Gon is killed by Darth Maul, while the lower-status apprentice is able to defeat him.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That may be the point but it doesn’t make for a very satisfying story.

I’ll defend the last Jedi with every once of cringe rear end soul in me, and want to lash out at anyone who shits on it but I’m not blind to some of the criticisms.

After rewatching tpm in theaters I can see why in theory people would hate rose as much as jar jar as both characters are fairly one dimensional and constantly hammer who they are in every scene. I like rose a lot. I think she’s great. But I also think maybe it would’ve been better if she learned her infamous quote “fight for what we love” rather than have Finn learn it.

I think the issue is why the prequels didn’t work is maybe George was really being artsy and bold here but idk it just doesn’t really work as well for a Star Wars pulp adventure when a lot of the series is about finding yourself and the journey of self discovery and change, redemption ect

Honestly the only character who really has a good arc in the PT is obi wan, who starts off as a stuffy by the books young man and slowly begins to take from his former master and bends the rules and becomes more bold.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Palpatine has a fantastic arc.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Vinylshadow posted:

Nothing

He is perfect

jar jar being impaled is one gently caress of a design choice

LarsPorsenna
Feb 3, 2024
Jar Jar is for babies...but so is Star Wars.

Except Andor.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Speaking of...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O77VTIAYGVA

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

euphronius posted:

Palpatine has a fantastic arc.

It’s a straight line

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Windu’s arc is also a straight line. .. down lol

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

Fans didn’t write that character. They shouldn’t harass anyone but Lucas made the character pretty awful. Same with Anakin. Anakin just isn’t that cool or interesting.

Of course, but Best read the script and worked with Lucas to develop the character. "Done dirty" implies a level of betrayal. It's a revealing phrase! But fans should be honest with ourselves: it's the filmmakers who betrayed us, by making a movie we didn't like as much as we thought we would beforehand. Obviously that's pretty dumb, but there'd be slightly more dignity in owning that instead of still trying to offload it onto poor Ahmed or whoever

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How much input did Best have in having Jar-Jar be the guy responsible for loving things up for everyone in the senate

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Blood Boils posted:

Of course, but Best read the script and worked with Lucas to develop the character. "Done dirty" implies a level of betrayal. It's a revealing phrase! But fans should be honest with ourselves: it's the filmmakers who betrayed us, by making a movie we didn't like as much as we thought we would beforehand. Obviously that's pretty dumb, but there'd be slightly more dignity in owning that instead of still trying to offload it onto poor Ahmed or whoever

Yeah jar jar and best were done dirty by the man who created him.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Jar-Jar loving things up for everyone in the senate loving ruled.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Jar Jar is a clown, a buffoon, a hapless naif who entertains with slapstick, with his contrast to the composed and capable heroes, with his petty selfishness and low cunning. He learns nothing and is always at the mercy of chance. It's part of a long show business tradition that had all but died out in English language cinema by 1999, and Lucas and Best both approached the role as being a throwback to the age of film that was heavily influenced 19th century stage performance. He speaks a language of parody that is not in contemporary usage (because George Lucas always fills his movies with movie stuff he likes without regard for whether anybody else will get it) and contemporary audiences didn't know what to make of that kind of comic.

Specifically, he's spoofing heroes of the sort that Luke is a straight example of.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bongo Bill posted:

He speaks a language of parody that is not in contemporary usage (because you'll get your rear end kicked)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This tweet is interesting:

https://twitter.com/filmsonwax/status/1786458713798115541

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

How much input did Best have in having Jar-Jar be the guy responsible for loving things up for everyone in the senate

The focus on Binks as being solely or primarily responsible ignores the much more impactful complicity of the Jedi & Republicans - they chose him as ambassador precisely for that kind of legislative purpose, to be their ace joker in the hole. They just didn't expect Satan to be Naboo!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So, a little or

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I thought the joke was they put Jar-Jar in a role that's the definition of 'kicked upstairs' as a token Gungan representative that gets him the gently caress away from his own people who hate him and are glad to see him gone all the more because he's technically a war hero, and in a position where he can merely be an entertaining nuisance, and was never meant to actually make any real decisions.

Also that he ultimately acted as the proxy for what Padme probably would have done anyway.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Jar Jar would have worked for me if his bumbling exposed order 66 or some real poo poo before it happened to the audience. Then that blunder would have to kill him.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I thought the joke was they put Jar-Jar in a role that's the definition of 'kicked upstairs' as a token Gungan representative that gets him the gently caress away from his own people who hate him and are glad to see him gone all the more because he's technically a war hero, and in a position where he can merely be an entertaining nuisance, and was never meant to actually make any real decisions.

Also that he ultimately acted as the proxy for what Padme probably would have done anyway.

What’s funny to notice is padme is straight up the ONLY person in the film that actually seems to like Jar Jar. She smiles at his antics, she helps him by the pod racer. It’s very odd and I guess makes sense why he’s a senator lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

CelticPredator posted:

What’s funny to notice is padme is straight up the ONLY person in the film that actually seems to like Jar Jar. She smiles at his antics, she helps him by the pod racer. It’s very odd and I guess makes sense why he’s a senator lol

And it doesn't reflect well on either of them!

Upsidads posted:

Jar Jar would have worked for me if his bumbling exposed order 66 or some real poo poo before it happened to the audience. Then that blunder would have to kill him.

Now that woulda been a helluva punchline.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

You'sa gonna keel the jedi? Berry, berry bad this'a Order Seeksy-Seeks! Oi Boie!~"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jar jar would take the opportunity to raid the Jedi kitchen while anakin slaughtered the gently caress out of those toddlers.

Jar Jar Binks is a bastard

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Hed Rob the youngling corpses unknowing they are lightsabers then wipe out an elite guard spilling them down the stairs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
He'd eat the corpses if they were small enough