Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

I mean, I feel like this would just take away from the idea that some creatures are inherently scarrier to low level adventurers because of their resistances. And further takes away options for interesting abilities like being resistant to those things and being just like those creatures; the issue is more the all or nothing aspect and that depending on the DM's sense of gamebalance w.r.t homebrew, might just trivialize or eliminate that dynamic all together.

The issue for me is that it seemed like everything due to homebrew was doing magic damage, so Stoneskin was a largely dead spell as a Sorcerer to know. And I as a DM for a different campaign was unsure if its a "logically I guess it would be magic?" question of the rules or is it "Okay if it doesn't say magic its non-magical, got it." Sort of clarification.

The idea isn't bad, but the implementation can be inconsistent and a bit lacking to people starting to want a deeper way of engaging with the games mechanics.

Yeah like you could account for that shift by having some basic damage resistance that is overcome by keyworded magic but that is a lot more fiddly and really I'm just expressing the usual frustration at how D&D treats the muggle characters and/or has countless weird patches to deal with the basic idea that if you aren't magic then you can only do what a "normal person" (in the limited imagination of D&D game designers and DMs) can do, whereas "magic" can and does do literally everything and anything.

If muscle counts as magic then you can have a muscle wizard, and I want D&D to get to have muscle wizards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Leperflesh posted:

oh the warlord is shouting limbs back on? yes, because the warlord is magic and so are your limbs

"Shouting limbs back on" was always an absurd catchphrase because, you know, healing word can't pray limbs back on either. Dismemberment was always a special case and healing from it was high level divine magic in 3rd and a high level ritual in 4th, but it didn't stop the reactionaries in the house from hating any hit points that didn't come from a cleric and getting healing surges completely backwards.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
D&D adjacent, but excited to see some of my hobbies intersect.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/dungeons-dragons-red-dragon-s-tale-21348

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

VaultAggie posted:

Oh man. Inn Plain Sight sign, a little beholder guy, there's a dragonborn minifig... oof on the price tho

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

If muscle counts as magic then you can have a muscle wizard, and I want D&D to get to have muscle wizards.

Someone convert this to 5e, please.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Raenir Salazar posted:

I mean, I feel like this would just take away from the idea that some creatures are inherently scarrier to low level adventurers because of their resistances. And further takes away options for interesting abilities like being resistant to those things and being just like those creatures; the issue is more the all or nothing aspect and that depending on the DM's sense of gamebalance w.r.t homebrew, might just trivialize or eliminate that dynamic all together.

The issue for me is that it seemed like everything due to homebrew was doing magic damage, so Stoneskin was a largely dead spell as a Sorcerer to know. And I as a DM for a different campaign was unsure if its a "logically I guess it would be magic?" question of the rules or is it "Okay if it doesn't say magic its non-magical, got it." Sort of clarification.

The idea isn't bad, but the implementation can be inconsistent and a bit lacking to people starting to want a deeper way of engaging with the games mechanics.

"Only magic is effective" could, theoretically, be interesting, but it just means that some classes can do their normal things (or have the item to let them pretend to be a better class) and others are on the bench. It's not really an interesting decision most of the time, because you rarely have much flexibility in your approach granted by your class.

In addition, these restrictions mostly go one way. There are some monsters that get advantages on saves against spells, but even that lets spellcasters work around it with attack spells and combat buffs.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

easy. level 20 fighter with 30 strength, 30 dex, 12 wisdom, 5 in every other stat, and literally no equipment except for a 30x2cm tungsten rod

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Ominous Jazz posted:

that seems like a dumb way of doing that, i simply would have designed the game better

Raenir Salazar posted:

Any example of a creature whose slashing/bludgeoning/piercing attacks/abilities are explicitly magical for comparison?

I should note that the magical weapons trait has gone away on monsters

Like here is the before and after for the Nabassu Demon.

It was not changed too much other than making it hit harder, but a change it and other monsters that had the Magical Weapons trait was having the damage type of their attacks change. It does Necrotic and Force damage with it's attacks now instead of Slashing and Piercing.

Also to me I see the fiction of some monsters being resistant or immune to non magical weapons as a big reason why armed groups and militias don't try to deal with them. Specialized Adventures with good gear are meant deal with these monsters cause even an army of normal soldiers would not be able to handle them.

Yusin fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 19, 2024

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Yusin posted:

It was not changed too much other than making it hit harder, but a change it and other monsters that had the Magical Weapons trait was having the damage type of their attacks change. It does Necrotic and Force damage with it's attacks now instead of Slashing and Piercing.

Which effectively replaces Magical Weapons since things generally have resistance to "nonmagical slashing, bludgeoning, and piercing damage" - including stoneskin I believe, and the monster itself.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Caphi posted:

Which effectively replaces Magical Weapons since things generally have resistance to "nonmagical slashing, bludgeoning, and piercing damage" - including stoneskin I believe, and the monster itself.

Correct. It's just a way of replicating that feature without printing that trait every time. Though if you have the proper potions or spells it's possible to resist their damage.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

scary ghost dog posted:

naddpod gets to level 20 in the first campaign and the DM is strict about sticking to the rules. one of the players is jake hurwitz, who had never played before at episode 1. its easily the best “live play” d&d show if you care about it being both a good show and an accurate representation of playing d&d

edit: it’s a podcast so it is all theatre of the mind, but take my word for it, the combat sequences are more creative and interesting than critical role or dimension 20

seconding the NADDPOD ("not another d&d podcast") recommendation. Perfectly straddles the line between "edited for listening" and feeling like a real table game.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

VaultAggie posted:

My kid is gonna be so mad about not being allowed to play with dad's expensive lego

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Yusin posted:

I should note that the magical weapons trait has gone away on monsters

Like here is the before and after for the Nabassu Demon.

Also to me I see the fiction of some monsters being resistant or immune to non magical weapons as a big reason why armed groups and militias don't try to deal with them. Specialized Adventures with good gear are meant deal with these monsters cause even an army of normal soldiers would not be able to handle them.

Okay yeah, they've made it worse! Because this is actually something that comes up as a dispute; as to whether the damage is "magical necrotic damage" or "non-magical" necrotic damage. Like acid created in a lab vs magic summoned from the plane of magical acid etc.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
that STILL means stone skin suck though!!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the lab is also doing magic

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Raenir Salazar posted:

Okay yeah, they've made it worse! Because this is actually something that comes up as a dispute; as to whether the damage is "magical necrotic damage" or "non-magical" necrotic damage. Like acid created in a lab vs magic summoned from the plane of magical acid etc.

That doesn't matter. Nonmagical bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage is what Stoneskin resists for example. Force and Necrotic are none of those.

I don't think there is a simple instance in the game for a creature resisting Nonmagical Fire damage for example.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Yusin posted:

That doesn't matter. Nonmagical bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage is what Stoneskin resists for example. Force and Necrotic are none of those.

I don't think there is a simple instance in the game for a creature resisting Nonmagical Fire damage for example.

It matters for Magic/Spell Resistance for Saving Throws! :)

To be clear this isn't just about Stoneskin, its just the most obvious example.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Raenir Salazar posted:

It matters for Magic/Spell Resistance for Saving Throws! :)

To be clear this isn't just about Stoneskin, its just the most obvious example.

In many cases it will just say so.

quote:

Sculpted Explosion (Recharge 4–6). The evoker unleashes a magical explosion of a particular damage type: cold, fire, lightning, or thunder. The magic erupts in a 20-foot-radius sphere centered on a point within 150 feet of the evoker. Each creature in that area must make a DC 15 Dexterity saving throw. The evoker can select up to three creatures it can see in the area to ignore the explosion, as the evoker sculpts the energy around them. On a failed save, a creature takes 40 (9d8) damage of the chosen type and is knocked prone. On a successful save, a creature takes half as much damage and isn’t knocked prone.

vs

quote:

Acid Breath (Recharge 5–6). The neothelid exhales acid in a 60-foot cone. Each creature in that area must make a DC 18 Dexterity saving throw, taking 35 (10d6) acid damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

The former says it's magic, the later does not.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i think stoneskin is for tanking city guards, basic traps, fall damage and falling rocks dex saves, not for going up against dragons, ghouls and dćwuls

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Stoneskin was for keeping your 1D4HD/level to 9 and 1HP/level afterwards rear end from getting mulched in every fight by summoning up a big bag of extra HP.

Now it's for padding out a spell book.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

PeterWeller posted:

Stoneskin was for keeping your 1D4HD/level to 9 and 1HP/level afterwards rear end from getting mulched in every fight by summoning up a big bag of extra HP.

Now it's for padding out a spell book.

For 5E, in theory, if you're fighting a lot of monsters that hit hard with weapons (giants, for example), Stoneskin can stop a lot of damage. In practice, you don't want to get hit anyway, resistance or not, and the spell requiring concentration means that if something hits you really hard your protection is going to go away.

Casting it on the Monk or the Fighter is probably going to get better work done for you. I suppose making it not require concentration might make it somewhat useful. But it really depends on the campaign and the combat design, even then.

2E Stoneskin simply stopped 1d4+1/2L physical attacks from doing damage. Vital for self-defense, amazingly abuseable when cast on the rest of the PCs, too. I know my PC Invoker who rolled 1.4 hp average per die wouldn't have survived many combats without it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Combines well with armor of agathys.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
100gp, a 4th level spellslot and concentration to achieve what a Barbarian can do at will at first level.

If that's the best they can come up with just delete the entire spell imo. Better to change it to 'you gain x times spelllevel of temporary hit points'.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

change my name posted:

My party chose to burgle the private demiplane of an ancient dracolich as part of a rescue mission and she happened to be home at the time, so I'm very excited to roll into combat this week and start off with Wish into an instant Simulacrum and see how they handle it

They immediately used Catapult to batter her with a saturated Dust of Dryness and flooded the demiplane, knocking everyone on their asses and making the water elemental that had sprung out of the fountain functionally invisible. Still! They eventually managed to beat back the first phase of the real end-game boss (I used Iggwilv's stat block, so a CR 20 super wizard)

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

homeless snail posted:

We only got enough juice in the time machine to make one jump, better make it count *looks down at control panel*
[ kill hitler ] [ kill gygax ]

Assistant: Did you find him?

Einstein: Gygax is... out of ze way...

Assistant: Congratulations! With Gygax removed-

Einstein: Time vill tell. Sooner or later, time vill tell...

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

redleader posted:

Assistant: Did you find him?

Einstein: Gygax is... out of ze way...

Assistant: Congratulations! With Gygax removed-

Einstein: Time vill tell. Sooner or later, time vill tell...

Hey, I’m looking for some ideas on how to reskin 5e to run a Star Wars campaign. Any thoughts on how to adjust the skills? I know there’s official Star Wars RPGs, but my group’s always played 5th Edition Call of Cthulhu and we’re not really interested in learning a whole new system.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Reveilled posted:

Hey, I’m looking for some ideas on how to reskin 5e to run a Star Wars campaign. Any thoughts on how to adjust the skills? I know there’s official Star Wars RPGs, but my group’s always played 5th Edition Call of Cthulhu and we’re not really interested in learning a whole new system.

https://sw5e.com

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Hmm, this appears to be for a system called “Dungeons and Dragons”? I’ve never heard of it.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Outrail posted:

100gp, a 4th level spellslot and concentration to achieve what a Barbarian can do at will at first level.

If that's the best they can come up with just delete the entire spell imo. Better to change it to 'you gain x times spelllevel of temporary hit points'.

I think 5E stoneskin is mostly a waste of time, but I don't have a problem with taking a lot of resources to do what another class can easily do.

Reveilled posted:

:golfclap:

But also, for reals just play SWD6.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Reveilled posted:

Hmm, this appears to be for a system called “Dungeons and Dragons”? I’ve never heard of it.

im missing something

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

scary ghost dog posted:

im missing something

Read the posts in the quote chain.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Dexo posted:

Read the posts in the quote chain.

i thought it was strange they were responding to a joke with a serious request, but i thought there was an actual 5e call of cthulu so i glossed over that detail and missed the connection

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

scary ghost dog posted:

i thought it was strange they were responding to a joke with a serious request, but i thought there was an actual 5e call of cthulu so i glossed over that detail and missed the connection

There is , it came out in the 90s. They are on their seventh edition.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Antifreeze Head posted:

There is , it came out in the 90s. They are on their seventh edition.

stop trolling me

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Just saw that James Ward, co-author of Gods, Demigods and Heroes, Deities and Demigods, and creator of Metamorphosis Alpha and Gamma World and many other games and supplements, has passed.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Rust Martialis posted:

Just saw that James Ward, co-author of Gods, Demigods and Heroes, Deities and Demigods, and creator of Metamorphosis Alpha and Gamma World and many other games and supplements, has passed.

While never too familiar with his works it's sad that another luminary has passed.

In other news Roll20 dropped some info on Quests from the Infinite Starcase.

quote:

The Infinite Staircase spirals in a dreamlike expanse, with doors leading to fantastic realms. It's home to the noble genie Nafas, who hears wishes made throughout the multiverse and recruits heroes to fulfill them. These pleas summon adventurers to lost caverns suffused with planar energy, fairytale gardens in the Feywild, futuristic spaceships, and other wondrous locales.

This anthology weaves together six classic DUNGEONS & DRAGONS® adventures while updating them for the game's fifth edition. You can run these quests individually or as a campaign that takes characters from level 1 to level 13.

This book includes the following adventures:

Beyond the Crystal Cave™

Expedition to the Barrier Peaks™

Pharaoh™

The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth™

The Lost City™

When a Star Falls™

I have always wanted to do the Lost City.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
The Lost City, from the creative minds of The Lost Dungeon, The Lost Village and The Lost Car Keys.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I wonder if Pharaoh here is just that adventure alone or the whole Desert of Desolation series. I assume the former but it’d be kind of cool to have all three, maybe reworked a bit to remove some of the lovely stuff like the whole “inbred mentally deficient tribespeople” thing in that one bit of The Lost Tomb of Martek (though given that Frostmaiden had a town of dumb inbred yokels who all talked with US southern accents in their boxed text, I wouldn’t hold out hope for that).

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Getting ready to play 5th edition and what the gently caress happened to all of the skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
they changed a lot of the skills. which in particular?