Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

DavidCameronsPig posted:

I suspect the Mac version of Office is some hideous rats nest of translation layers, chewing gum and dreams that translates the Windows code onto something that runs on MacOS, and it's probably a tiny miracle of software engineering that it runs at all.

Wild EEPROM posted:

Excel on mac is mediocre but its still a hundred thousand times better than the suggestion to use libre office.

Yeah, Libre Office is already a pile of awful jank worse than MS Office, and then you layer a worse Mac translation layer on top of that bad foundation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

The Lord Bude posted:

He’s already using 365

Then he’d be golden with Parallels honestly.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

SourKraut posted:

Then he’d be golden with Parallels honestly.

I’m still going to get him to test it the regular way first. I suspect parallels is going to be a bitch to try to explain (he’s not someone who will happily just do what he’s told, he questions everything) and given he’s already salty at ‘Microsoft being so poo poo that they’re forcing me to spend two grand on a MacBook’ forking out for parallels and a windows licence (he’d never agree to buy a key on SA) would be an enormous stretch.

Personally I’ve always been content with numbers for my limited needs but that’s far to big of an adjustment for him just in UI terms even if everything works correctly.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

The Lord Bude posted:

I’m still going to get him to test it the regular way first. I suspect parallels is going to be a bitch to try to explain (he’s not someone who will happily just do what he’s told, he questions everything) and given he’s already salty at ‘Microsoft being so poo poo that they’re forcing me to spend two grand on a MacBook’ forking out for parallels and a windows licence (he’d never agree to buy a key on SA) would be an enormous stretch.

Personally I’ve always been content with numbers for my limited needs but that’s far to big of an adjustment for him just in UI terms even if everything works correctly.

If he buys Parallels, you want to buy him the Windows key and not say you got it from here. Seriously. It's $15 vs like $200.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Quackles posted:

If he buys Parallels, you want to buy him the Windows key and not say you got it from here. Seriously. It's $15 vs like $200.

Exactly; I've bought dozens of Win 10 and 11 keys from SA over the years, and have never had a problem.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Quackles posted:

That sort of thing doesn’t work with him, he insists on documentation for everything.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

The Lord Bude posted:

That sort of thing doesn’t work with him, he insists on documentation for everything.

With the cost of one windows 11 license and the parallels yearly expense, you can get at least a year of windows 365 coverage, with a vm running in azure without wasting resources from his laptop.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
While we're on Spreadsheet Talk; how's Apple's office suite doing? Pages, Numbers, etc? Is that any good? It's been six or seven years since I last took a look at those.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Pages and Numbers are good for quick basics but I wouldn’t want to do any professional work with them. I keep a basic family budget sheet in Numbers because it’s easy to share/manipulate amongst our Apple devices. I wouldn’t want to try to do anything beyond basic math functions with it because the interface is so simplified.

Same with Pages, it’s fine for writing a quick letter but beyond that and you’re wandering into pain.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Dicty Bojangles posted:

Pages and Numbers are good for quick basics but I wouldn’t want to do any professional work with them. I keep a basic family budget sheet in Numbers because it’s easy to share/manipulate amongst our Apple devices. I wouldn’t want to try to do anything beyond basic math functions with it because the interface is so simplified.

Same with Pages, it’s fine for writing a quick letter but beyond that and you’re wandering into pain.

and honestly if you're going to do basic household stuff gsuite is the better move imo, the collab features just can't be beat and it's the standard in colleges and schools so if you have older kids they can help too

we do all our vacation plans and other stuff in apple notes, but if we are looping in anyone but the two of us we move on to a google doc, same thing for guest lists or other things in sheets

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Yeah for sure, gsuite too. I divorced myself from google many years ago but that’s just for personal reasons, use what you prefer.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Mad Wack posted:

and honestly if you're going to do basic household stuff gsuite is the better move imo, the collab features just can't be beat and it's the standard in colleges and schools so if you have older kids they can help too

we do all our vacation plans and other stuff in apple notes, but if we are looping in anyone but the two of us we move on to a google doc, same thing for guest lists or other things in sheets

The collaboration features in Office 365 aren’t bad either although I won’t lie I haven’t used those for personal use, only when the work of administering that poo poo is someone else’s job.

Pages and Numbers are pretty good but the fact that the interoperability with MS Office files is limited to this clunky dance of it automatically importing them into a .pages file which you then have to manually export into the MS format (which then breaks a lot of the formatting) makes them a bit of a non-starter for me. Most of the time I’m using software like that is when i have to deal with something someone’s sent me and it’s always a word or excel doc.

You can get legit Office 2021 keys from a million different websites for like £30 and that does everything I need

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I actually really love the iWork suite, I successfully used Pages’ really nice resume template with some modifications and got a couple job offers (not solely because of the template of course, but I don’t think it hurt). however, If you’re dealing with other people’s documents though or need to share with others like the above poster said, it’s a bit cumbersome.

But if you just need to make a nice looking PDF to share or send, Pages all the way.

Keynote has some really sick animations where objects will move into place if they’re on more than one slide but in different placements and I gave a bomb presentation with it last month.

Numbers is good too, I’ve used that the least, but it did well opening auto formatting, and filtering a CSV full of a thousand or so rows and that’s all I needed it to do really.

I wouldn’t overlook these decent tools if you’re all in on the Mac/iDevice ecosystem. By comparison, Office 365 runs slow and I have some strong words for whoever is in charge of the track changes functionality.

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jul 1, 2023

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I run MS Word 5.1a inside SheepShaver for anything over two pages.

Yes, I'm insane, but my muscle memory is set for Word 5.1 keystrokes. Runs real well on my MP5,1

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really like Numbers for if I want something to be visually a little nicer without much effort. It's so much easier to get formatting that looks pretty than it is in sheets or excel, though I do wind up using sheets most of the time just due to interoperability things.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

It's hilarious to me that Windows lock-in largely revolves around "how advanced are the Excel files I'll be working in".

How do they seriously not have feature parity with their desktop apps vs Office 365 at this point?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Corb3t posted:

How do they seriously not have feature parity with their desktop apps vs Office 365 at this point?

by design.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Yeah compatibility for obscure poo poo has been Windows and Office’s thing for literal decades. There’s still settings in Word in case you’re importing documents from lotus notes or fuckin WordPerfect, ancient compatibility code that sticks its head up to fix the tab stops or whatever in case you’re opening a file from 19-fuckin-93.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i'm having some trouble with screen time in macOS (Ventura). I set downtime to 12-7 AM, but even now during the day it has all the apps that I didn't exclude as being restricted. any ideas? thanks

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Is there a memory leak issue with macOS? I have been getting this message recently, probably since upgrading to Ventura, although some googling suggests it started with Monterey (which I may have skipped).

What's actually using up all the RAM is background processes, eg
code:
PID    COMMAND      %CPU  TIME     #TH   #WQ  #PORT MEM    PURG   CMPRS  PGRP  PPID  STATE    BOOSTS            %CPU_ME %CPU_OTHRS UID  FAULTS     COW
473    Notification 99.4  360 hrs  7/1   3    509   2977M+ 0B     2308M  473   1     running  *0[16053]         0.00000 0.00000    501  2147483647 8437
65747  com.apple.We 0.1   18:55.59 8     4    112   1305M- 9088K+ 1267M- 65747 1     sleeping *0[30945]         0.00000 0.00000    501  19776324   5355
595    corespotligh 0.0   10:42:36 3     1    216   1001M  0B     996M   595   1     sleeping *1[81442]         0.00000 0.00000    501  1501084196 16023
149    WindowServer 8.4   10:49:19 12    5    2502+ 866M+  960K   188M-  149   1     sleeping *0[1]             0.78415 0.11435    88   73721877+  328255
Notification Center using 3GB of RAM and also apparently clocking 100% CPU for 15 days :confused: I had to reboot. Coming back to my computer 6 hours later, I checked again out of curiosity.
code:
PID   COMMAND      %CPU TIME     #TH   #WQ  #PORT MEM    PURG  CMPRS  PGRP PPID STATE    BOOSTS           %CPU_ME %CPU_OTHRS UID  FAULTS   COW  
4267  GoProThumbna 0.0  00:10.16 3     2    84    1687M  0B    1682M  4267 1    sleeping *0[1]            0.00000 0.00000    501  1756027  322
It's not a runaway process, but wtf. I'm not a developer, but this seems like a garbage collection bug within the OS? Is there anything I can do? I killed 473/Notification Center, and it seems like the computer destabilized after that, which is why I had to reboot.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
One more Arc invite code (good for 5 installs) for anyone who missed it the first time: https://arc.net/gift/62c627cd

Violator
May 15, 2003

nexxai posted:

One more Arc invite code (good for 5 installs) for anyone who missed it the first time

Thanks. :)

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Edit: Arc invite gones. Will post more in a week.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 5, 2023

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Cool!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

What's the best solution out there for remote management of Mac hardware? The parents are getting an Air and I'll likely have to deal with that from time to time. Is Teamviewer still the call here or are there better solutions in Mac land?

Also, what's up with full-screened apps losing their "order"? I usually do desktop/scratch, browser, Plex but occasionally the last two will swap places for some reason.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Warbird posted:

What's the best solution out there for remote management of Mac hardware? The parents are getting an Air and I'll likely have to deal with that from time to time. Is Teamviewer still the call here or are there better solutions in Mac land?

You could try AnyDesk. It works cross-platform and is fairly solid. I use it at my office to manage a Mac we have.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Parsec can host on osx now too, you could use sunshine/moonlight with a vpn if you want to remove the cloud. Also the built in vnc is actually pretty good, but only if you use the built in vnc client in macos.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Not like anyone cares, but Sonoma beta 3 was released today.

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

Binary Badger posted:

Not like anyone cares, but Sonoma beta 3 was released today.

How stable is it currently? Better or worse than where Ventura was at this stage?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I'm running the Intel version and it seems pretty smooth, a lot of Apple apps were rewritten in Swift which supposedly makes things smoother because it takes advantage of JIT and other optimizations.

Running 4K YouTubes in Safari feels a lot smoother, launching apps is somewhat faster, and the system 'feels' a lot more stable than even the current Ventura.

I boot it off a TB4 enclosure and it loads just as fast if not a tad faster than the built in 512GB; think that with beta 3 I'm going to wipe and install on the internal just to see how much more speed I can squeeze out.

Of course the fly in the ointment is that you must have at least a 2018 Air / Pro / Mini to run it..

Some people claim success running Sonoma on 2012 - 2015 Macs with a special beta build of OCLP but they lose WiFi and / or the USB ports which they sometimes can get back if they plug in their peripherals into a hub..

It should also be noted that some of the fancy schmancy stuff like Presenter Overlay, Reactions (emoji in video chat?!), Game Mode (OS gives top priority to current rung game), and 'Hey'-less Siri are M1/M2 only..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 6, 2023

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?
Have some more Arc codes:

https://arc.net/gift/250c8fd4

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

grabbed one. Thanks

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I snagged one too.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Gotta say I'm really digging Arc. It's definitely taking a real adjustment to know where to like, rest my eyes, you know? But I think the spaces thing is very smart and treating tabs like apps just makes sense.

I think they want you to use spaces instead of bookmarks? Like i have a torrent client on a server accessed through a web browser. Usually I click a bookmark to get to that, but I think Arc would instead have me put all that kind of thing on a space and then switch to that space instead of clicking a bookmark. Am I thinking of that right?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I think so? In a similar vein I have all my home server stuff off in its own tab and that makes sense to me as if I’m messing with one I’ll be dicking around with another.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Is there any word on Arc supporting Keychain at all or is that something that will just never happen.

Does Apple even allow that?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Is there any word on Arc supporting Mojave at all or is that something that will just never happen?

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
I've a early 2015 macbook pro with the i7 and 16gb of ram running Catalina. Would upgrading to Monteray cause any performance dips or potential compatibility issues?

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

Binary Badger posted:

I'm running the Intel version and it seems pretty smooth, a lot of Apple apps were rewritten in Swift which supposedly makes things smoother because it takes advantage of JIT and other optimizations.

Running 4K YouTubes in Safari feels a lot smoother, launching apps is somewhat faster, and the system 'feels' a lot more stable than even the current Ventura.
Thanks. It sounds pretty good if this is more Snow Leopard than Ventura.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

American McGay posted:

Is there any word on Arc supporting Mojave at all or is that something that will just never happen?

It could man, for you they might.