Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

null_pointer posted:

Honestly curious -- can you explain?

luxury handset has the gist of it. The military history thread has some real historians who can probably give some specific info: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3872282&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1 as his stuff has been frequently criticized in earlier versions of the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Bad Munki posted:

Or—and I’m just throwing this out there—or, you could “pickle” them in botulism. Just a thought!

Botox pickles.

Sounds like a new trend in food/cosmetic surgery.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

luxury handset posted:

he doesn't claim to be a historian, researcher, expert etc. and he definitely isn't. he's basically a very well read reddit commenter with a bit of postsecondary education. but given the breadth of his audience and the certainty with which he expresses his opinions it's easy to mistake him for an expert. this isn't to say that he is directly full of poo poo, but his expertise is often questionable and to someone less informed he resembles an expert, so he has a stink of poo poo around him

sort of like, what pop historians are to academic historians, lindy is a youtube historian which is even less rigorous compared to practicing historians. he ranks below john green in terms of youtube history because john green's whole thing is to present well researched mini essays written by experts about topics and isn't just a guy talking at length regarding his opinions about swords

What I noticed in his vids a couple of years back was that as soon as he hit on his first idea of how something worked he didn't go and check if it was actually correct, and just settled on that.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

it's even easier to make pickles without vinegar, through fermentation, because you don't even have to boil the drat things. you put cucumbers and spices and brine in a jar and cover it with cheesecloth for a week and then pickles come out. ffs

This was my mom in the summer. Weeks of dill-reek in the house (a 5 gallon crock in the corner of the kitchen), and then days of furious canning with a bomb on the stove (it was grandma's old pressure cooker, which was easily 50 years old in the 80s)

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

wesleywillis posted:

Botox pickles.

Sounds like a new trend in food/cosmetic surgery.

How They Get Vienna Sausage

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

Here's some OSHA train work.
Thermite welding train lines in the middle of an active train corridor. It's sort of like forging I guess?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNjosF789X4

Also today I applied to be a train driver. In the pre-employment assessment I based all my answers on safety and the things I learned about in this thread.
:eng101:

The Thermite reaction is the single most popular demo I do for 7th grade science. The kids are amazed when they can feel the heat coming off of the reaction from 10 meters away.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
At the end of one year of high school the science teacher lit a small pile of rock salt sized crystals (Can't remember the name) that burned like a volcano expelling green fibres filling the room. He then told us to get out because the room is now not healthy/cancer(?). We dutifully streamed outside faster than the lunch bell.

He looked very pleased with himself.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

luxury handset posted:

he doesn't claim to be a historian, researcher, expert etc. and he definitely isn't. he's basically a very well read reddit commenter with a bit of postsecondary education. but given the breadth of his audience and the certainty with which he expresses his opinions it's easy to mistake him for an expert. this isn't to say that he is directly full of poo poo, but his expertise is often questionable and to someone less informed he resembles an expert, so he has a stink of poo poo around him

sort of like, what pop historians are to academic historians, lindy is a youtube historian which is even less rigorous compared to practicing historians. he ranks below john green in terms of youtube history because john green's whole thing is to present well researched mini essays written by experts about topics and isn't just a guy talking at length regarding his opinions about swords

He also has some pretty loving dubious ideas about the modern era. Notably 'the upper class in Britain exists because they are just better than the lower classes'.

oohhboy posted:

At the end of one year of high school the science teacher lit a small pile of rock salt sized crystals (Can't remember the name) that burned like a volcano expelling green fibres filling the room. He then told us to get out because the room is now not healthy/cancer(?). We dutifully streamed outside faster than the lunch bell.

He looked very pleased with himself.

Mercury (II) Thiocyanite?

https://youtu.be/GYfxPFr6YL0

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jan 5, 2019

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nope, not a white powder, not even close. He piled it and burned like a volcano fairly energetically with a plume of short green fibre like ash filling the classroom and descending down as it cooled. He was a pretty good science teacher so he was probably messing with us a little but breathing in ash isn't a good move in the first place.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
if you got a good amount to time to kill check out this poo poo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCm1iPLVe8I

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here is an escape room that turned out wasn't any fun and got too real as five 15 year olds burned to death in Poland.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46765692

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

oohhboy posted:

Here is an escape room that turned out wasn't any fun and got too real as five 15 year olds burned to death in Poland.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46765692

I wonder if there's an underground escape room subculture where there are extreme stakes to give people that adrenaline rush that regular escape rooms just don't give them any more.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yes the Saw series of films are documentaries.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

GotLag posted:

What I noticed in his vids a couple of years back was that as soon as he hit on his first idea of how something worked he didn't go and check if it was actually correct, and just settled on that.

Lindybeige also has some awkward videos about his :biotruths: and anti-climate change opinions. I find his history/weapons videos compelling for some odd reason even with a huge grain of salt so I just try not to watch any of the ones that look to be anything other than history, hoping I don't hear about him saying something so sexist or racist that I can't watch him at all anymore.

He just seems like the kind of odd, intelligent self-taught guy I'd be friends with and love talking to even if I had to tell him he's full of poo poo sometimes.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/7NewsBrisbane/status/1081450962538004480?s=09

Not looking good for the leaning tower of Sydney, 50 apartments torn up to put in bracing, with more to come.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Grover-Tower looking good.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

5 teenagers died in an Escape Room in Poland yesterday.

There was a fire next door and after firefighters put it out, they girls were found dead in the escape room. They probably died of suffocation.

The door to the escape room had to be forced open, no working emergency exit button was found and there was no safe escape route. Further investigation revealed that the wiring of the place was "sloppy". Visitors to the escape room on the days before had already reported a gas smell.

The Polish government will now send safety inspectors to each of the roughly 1000 escape rooms in the country.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Imagined posted:

Lindybeige also has some awkward videos about his :biotruths: and anti-climate change opinions. I find his history/weapons videos compelling for some odd reason even with a huge grain of salt so I just try not to watch any of the ones that look to be anything other than history, hoping I don't hear about him saying something so sexist or racist that I can't watch him at all anymore.

He just seems like the kind of odd, intelligent self-taught guy I'd be friends with and love talking to even if I had to tell him he's full of poo poo sometimes.

You realize you’re part of the problem with this admission? Climate denialist crackpot racist misogynist spouts bullshit on YouTube but you keep feeding him clicks because.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

New textbook material looking good.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

There was a fire next door and after firefighters put it out, they girls were found dead in the escape room. They probably died of suffocation.

The door to the escape room had to be forced open, no working emergency exit button was found and there was no safe escape route. Further investigation revealed that the wiring of the place was "sloppy". Visitors to the escape room on the days before had already reported a gas smell.

The Polish government will now send safety inspectors to each of the roughly 1000 escape rooms in the country.

7 posts above you.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I thought all escape rooms had a regular unlocked door of shame as well the locked one?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

drgitlin posted:

You realize you’re part of the problem with this admission? Climate denialist crackpot racist misogynist spouts bullshit on YouTube but you keep feeding him clicks because.

This would be fair if I'd ever heard him or heard of him saying anything racist or misogynist. Yet. He's just a white dude with some other dodgy opinions but I'm not yet so woke as to not watch someone because it seems like something he MIGHT say.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I thought all escape rooms had a regular unlocked door of shame as well the locked one?

At least in the US, I'm almost certain that's a legal requirement.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Not the case in the Netherlands. I think they need to have a big red emergency button that unlocks the doors. Other than that, they're simply constantly monitored by the operator in the next room, who can let you out at any time as well.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Carbon dioxide posted:

Poland...locked room...gas

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

This is a difficult problem for public safety officials and hopefully a final solution is found soon.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

It helps with concentration.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
yall are going to hell. miss frog is polish, and we are both guiltily laughing right now. you just made us more eviler. you fuckers.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

Not the case in the Netherlands. I think they need to have a big red emergency button that unlocks the doors. Other than that, they're simply constantly monitored by the operator in the next room, who can let you out at any time as well.

Its the constant supervision thing that is my main question right now. It is easy to understand material failures with improper wiring preventing the emergency button from working. But where was the supervisor? Did they just run when the fire alarm went off? Was there no supervision at all? Who is going to jail is my question I guess.

The escape rooms I’ve done in the US don’t have a second door, but every time I’ve done one, the supervisor has closed the door behind them and then let themselves out via the emergency button to show it works.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

sneakyfrog posted:

yall are going to hell. miss frog is polish, and we are both guiltily laughing right now. you just made us more eviler. you fuckers.

Aw, just be happy campers! :tif:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
one day we will all be stuck in hell with bono.

terrifying thought.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

sneakyfrog posted:

one day we will all be stuck in hell with bono.

terrifying thought.

I thought we already are

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
https://inception.davepedu.com/

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

SpaceCadetBob posted:

The escape rooms I’ve done in the US don’t have a second door, but every time I’ve done one, the supervisor has closed the door behind them and then let themselves out via the emergency button to show it works.
Uhh, what happens if it doesn't work and the observer is now stuck in with you.

Emergency egress shouldn't take positive action, I get wigged out enough with airport doors that require you to hold for 30 seconds to prevent mistaken alarms.

The only one I've ever done is more like a puzzle room so the door was open the entire time. Are these at least normal part of operation of the door like the airport doors? I mean do you operate a pushbar or door handle and it takes it as you want to leave? Anything more complicated, even just slamming a mushroom emergency button, is not advised because it needs to be automatic to people who's fight or flight has gone into the flighty and stupid mode.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

This whole time I thought we were talking about prepper-like panic rooms. WTF are escape rooms if they aren't places to surveil your Hispanic neighbors from your CCTV rig and store dehydrated food/guns?

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

zedprime posted:

Uhh, what happens if it doesn't work and the observer is now stuck in with you.

Emergency egress shouldn't take positive action, I get wigged out enough with airport doors that require you to hold for 30 seconds to prevent mistaken alarms.

The only one I've ever done is more like a puzzle room so the door was open the entire time. Are these at least normal part of operation of the door like the airport doors? I mean do you operate a pushbar or door handle and it takes it as you want to leave? Anything more complicated, even just slamming a mushroom emergency button, is not advised because it needs to be automatic to people who's fight or flight has gone into the flighty and stupid mode.

Good points. In the place i go to there is actually two supervisors, one that gets you situated in the room while another is in the control room watching via camera.

I’m gonna nerd out on this a bit today and dig through the life safety codes before I post uninformed opinions.

Unfortunately poo poo like this usually has to happen before the obvious oversite in the codes get corrected.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

This whole time I thought we were talking about prepper-like panic rooms. WTF are escape rooms if they aren't places to surveil your Hispanic neighbors from your CCTV rig and store dehydrated food/guns?

You get locked inside a room and have to solve a puzzle to find the way out.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
sounds like my office

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Real life point and click adventure games.