Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
it is a bad practice to combine those two types of data!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Clarence posted:

Appendix A :

PIGEON WOOD

Why did they detach a single platoon for training?

Cavalry disentangling from a fight is still bizzare to me; how do you do that when you're in the middle of a mass of dudes trying to stab you?

Related: has anyone ever described what an aftermath of a charge looks like? I bet lance wounds would be horrific and quite a few dudes would have been beaten to pulp by all the hooves and general pushing about.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Disinterested posted:

I think this is actually very wrong.

Profound damage was done to Iraqi civil society by the aftermath to the first war by the combination of the sanctions regime and the destruction of opposition groups by Saddam that just doesn't happen if the US does regime change in 91. The problems of democratization and occupation in the 2000's were much worse for Iraqi having been turned in to a basket case for the preceding 15 years, as well as occurring against a much much worse regional backdrop.

The problem though is that a lot of the local 'support' for Desert Storm would have possibly vanished if the US pushed for regime change in 1991. You'd still have the issue of a power struggle and the KSA would likely not have supported the probable end result of a democratic election.

Less civil damage from sanctions, but likely more from the military effort to depose Saddam.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Taerkar posted:

The problem though is that a lot of the local 'support' for Desert Storm would have possibly vanished if the US pushed for regime change in 1991.

Exactly this.

Taking Kuwait was one thing, taking and holding Iraq was another matter entirely.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Taerkar posted:

The problem though is that a lot of the local 'support' for Desert Storm would have possibly vanished if the US pushed for regime change in 1991. You'd still have the issue of a power struggle and the KSA would likely not have supported the probable end result of a democratic election.

Less civil damage from sanctions, but likely more from the military effort to depose Saddam.

That seems to be an even bigger veer toward wrong given opposition groups rose up in 91 partly as a result of US urging only to be destroyed without help.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Does anyone know anything about this channel?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0H1WgsMrfU

It's pretty popular but also it's mostly about WWII so I don't want to let a Wehrmacht apologist in my brain. Browsing his videos he did do a video about why he's so negative about the Wehrmacht, but he put that down to his academic tradition focusing on failures and missteps

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Disinterested posted:

That seems to be an even bigger veer toward wrong given opposition groups rose up in 91 partly as a result of US urging only to be destroyed without help.

Opposition groups also supported the 2003 invasion, for example the Peshmerga in Iraqi Kurdistan, but this did not make the subsequent occupation successful.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Cessna posted:

Opposition groups also supported the 2003 invasion, for example the Peshmerga in Iraqi Kurdistan, but this did not make the subsequent occupation successful.

I didn't say it would be successful but the original claim being addressed is that an occupation in 91 wouldn't be very different to 03, which seems remote. Also, those opposition groups were in much worse shape, as was Iraqi society as a whole.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

don't post your dildos here

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Disinterested posted:

I didn't say it would be successful but the original claim being addressed is that an occupation in 91 wouldn't be very different to 03, which seems remote. Also, those opposition groups were in much worse shape, as was Iraqi society as a whole.

With no snark, you think an occupation in '91 would have gone better?

This is, of course, all hypothetical and there is no definitive answer. But as someone who was there in '91, I think an attempt at an occupation would have gone very, very badly.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I think it's possible that a US overthrow of Saddam in 1991 would have both gone better for Iraq and worse for the US.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Cessna posted:

With no snark, you think an occupation in '91 would have gone better?

This is, of course, all hypothetical and there is no definitive answer. But as someone who was there in '91, I think an attempt at an occupation would have gone very, very badly.

I think we've been staring at the worst case scenario so the bar isn't exactly much to clear.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Fair point.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

There were viable chemical weapons back in 1991.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

aphid_licker posted:

Where does the first line go when the second wants to charge? Off to the side?

Often, yes. The second line could also open up gaps in its line--or even form into squadron columns--and allow the first line to pass through, though if the first line was obviously routed it could take good officering for the second line to form for its own charge afterwards. This is for dealing with other cavalry or infantry in line, incidentally. If given a chance to charge artillery without interference, cavalry generally advanced in a more open formation, for obvious reasons. Trying to crack competently officered infantry in square with just cavalry was generally an awful idea, but if you had to do it you charged in a column of squadrons against a corner of the square.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

From Bloke on the Range:

quote:

Doing a bit of prepwork over lunch for what I'll likely film tomorrow evening after work (from a vantage point on the first fold of the Jura Mountains looking towards the Alps), and I came across this graph showing the calorie count per person in 1944 in a variety of European countries. Only Britain, Hungary and Sweden manage to attain or exceed the 2400 calories they're using as a baseline. Switzerland isn't doing too badly compared to most (which is not bad for a country that pre-WW2 was importing somewhere in the region of 70% of food), but Norway is running under 1200 calories!

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
From the word Kalorienzuteilung I would assume that that graph shows intended rations and not actual eating. So, it would exclude unplanned shortages and people eating non-rationed food.
You would need to dig deeper into the sources to conclude anything at all.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

tonberrytoby posted:

From the word Kalorienzuteilung I would assume that that graph shows intended rations and not actual eating. So, it would exclude unplanned shortages and people eating non-rationed food.
You would need to dig deeper into the sources to conclude anything at all.

I went and actually let him know about this.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

zoux posted:

Does anyone know anything about this channel?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0H1WgsMrfU

It's pretty popular but also it's mostly about WWII so I don't want to let a Wehrmacht apologist in my brain. Browsing his videos he did do a video about why he's so negative about the Wehrmacht, but he put that down to his academic tradition focusing on failures and missteps

Seems legit so far, though the opening seems to make out Napoleon despite his fantastic analytic mind and memory kind of did everything himself when in real life he got a lot of assistance from Berthier and an experimental HQ military staff model he adapted from late Bourbon experiments. This is mentioned a little bit later in passing but not stressed enough.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Berthier was the poo poo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

Seems legit so far, though the opening seems to make out Napoleon despite his fantastic analytic mind and memory kind of did everything himself when in real life he got a lot of assistance from Berthier and an experimental HQ military staff model he adapted from late Bourbon experiments. This is mentioned a little bit later in passing but not stressed enough.

That's fine, I can deal with quibbles over detail I'm just worried about getting into the thing and finding out he's a white supremacist or something. Gotta be careful on Youtube!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Of course, of course Hitler had a vision for a new rail gauge that would be more than twice the contemporary standard. In 1942! Ah, to be the Reichsbahn chief those days...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breitspurbahn

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Nenonen posted:

Of course, of course Hitler had a vision for a new rail gauge that would be more than twice the contemporary standard. In 1942! Ah, to be the Reichsbahn chief those days...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breitspurbahn

i like the guys who were very sensibly like "hey what if we just build four-track standard gauge main lines"

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

[quote="“chitoryu12”" post="“485523974”"]
I went and actually let him know about this.

[/quote]

How do they measure non-rationed calories though? Legibility is going to be a major complication considering the extent of black markets.

I watched a documentary about Japan post-war, and in protest of the rationing system a professor ate nothing but his official ration. He died after a couple months.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The Cubelodyte posted:

Never heard about this.

OK, so Goering thanks to being the #2 man in the Third Reich became staggeringly wealthy, which he added to by taking the good poo poo from Jews/other undesirables and keeping it, a pattern he kept throughout World War 2

His enormous mansion, Kairnhall (his deceased first wife was named Kairn) was just chockablock with priceless art treasures, in a way that art-collecting HRE emperor would be jealous of

This extravagance also took form in elaborate, custom made uniforms and costumes, and jewelry. When Hitler gave out rewards and promotions when France fell, he gave Goering "the Grand Cross of the Iron Cross", which was the highest decoration the Nazis gave out in WW2. You wore it around the neck and it had a diameter of a small bird's nest. Goering had two copies made, one gold edged, and one platinum edged, so his award would match his other outfits.

quote:

Göring was known for his extravagant tastes and garish clothing. He had various special uniforms made for the many posts he held;[152] his Reichsmarschall uniform included a jewel-encrusted baton. Hans-Ulrich Rudel, the top Stuka pilot of the war, recalled twice meeting Göring dressed in outlandish costumes: first, a medieval hunting costume, practicing archery with his doctor; and second, dressed in a red toga fastened with a golden clasp, smoking an unusually large pipe. Italian Foreign Minister Galeazzo Ciano once noted Göring wearing a fur coat that looked like what "a high grade prostitute wears to the opera".[153] He threw lavish housewarming parties each time a round of construction was completed at Carinhall, and changed costumes several times throughout the evenings.[154]

This extravagance became more pronounced once the shine came off the Luftwaffe. It's failure in the battle of Britain, and Goering increasingly retreated into his life of luxury. While doing reading for my Amerikabomber posts I found a mention Goering skipped out on a really important meeting with Heinkel in Vienna to spend the day at one of his favorite jewelers

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Reiterpallasch posted:

Both Napoleonic French and British medium/heavy cavalry charged knee-to-knee, with a line of individual squadrons, each in lines abreast two deep. Competently commanded cavalry divisions usually formed two or more such lines to charge in echelon, to deliver successive shocks to the enemy. Whenever possible, a reserve was kept to the rear made out of squadrons in column, which could be easily controlled and quickly launched for a pursuit or rallied to countercharge.

Thanks for this and other cavalry chat.

Re: your username. How did backswords compare to sabres? My Napoleonic era sword knowledge is limited to Sharpe and Aubrey/Maturin books.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

SeanBeansShako posted:

Also, no matter over the top silly nonsense a certain Nazi Luftwaffe Marshal is wearing nothing will beat the private uniform of a certain Napoleonic Marshal and former King of Naples.

Post pics.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Berthier was the poo poo

Please elaborate.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
So Germany in World War 2 allowed Officers to duel eachother (or civilians) as a matter of honor.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So Germany in World War 2 allowed Officers to duel eachother (or civilians) as a matter of honor.

[citation needed]

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Disinterested posted:

Stronger opposition groups isn't necessarily a good thing because those opposition groups had goals that weren't 'make a Western style democracy for America's convenience'. All those Shias Saddam oppressed were more likely to look to Iran than the US for instance.

This?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sectarian_violence_in_Iraq_(2006%9608)

This still happens.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 27, 2018

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

ChubbyChecker posted:

Post pics.

Please elaborate.

(yeah two of them are ceremonial but still)

Okay, Imagine Napoleon but instead of being good at tactics, battle plans and making all the grogs swoon your skills lie in masterful logistical planning, organization and running two armies and on top of that also working on helping out with the Imperial house hold and a constantly revolving and evolving cabinet or Marshals, nobles and hangers on with disconcerting professional ease. In short he was Napoleon's perfect No 2 and his absence is one of the several bug reasons why the Hundred Days flopped for Bonaparte.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

SeanBeansShako posted:

(yeah two of them are ceremonial but still)

Swoon-worthy.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ArchangeI posted:

[citation needed]

[...] This was a leftover from feudal times, before Hitler's assumption of power. It is significant that under Hitler, dueling of officers was legalized in cases where all efforts at settlement by an officers' court of honor (appointed by a regimental or higher commander) failed. However, for duels between two officers, but not between an officer and a civilian, a decision had to first be obtained from the Commander-in-Chief of the Army. Their medieval conception of honor had a strong influence on the mentality and actions of many German officers. An officer was obligated to react to deliberate insults instantaneously, in a positive and masterly fashion, and to protect other officers from becoming the object of public disgrace. In the SS, qualified enlisted men (those who carried a dagger) were subject to the same honor rules as officers, being obligated to defend their honor by force of arms.

-StrafBattalion: Hitler's Penal Battalions by Walter S. Zapotoczny Jr.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Jobbo_Fett posted:

This was a leftover from feudal times...Their medieval conception of honor
you dumbasses, it's modern
most of this poo poo was developed in the 19th century, in colleges

(Not you, Jobbo Fett. That guy)

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Another fun Goering story is this: so the failure of the Battle of Britain and the immensely hosed up Luftwaffe procurement was obviously bad, and so Goering blamed Ernst Udet, head of procurement - as did everyone else, [like Hitler] and especially Erhard Milch, who wanted the job to add to his portfolio. Udet (because he knows of his fuckups and knows they happened because he's not cut out for the position) goes to Goering and asks to resign - dude is near to total nervous collapse and can't take it anymore. Goering says in response "If I let you go, the people will draw their own conclusions. The whole facade will crumble." And then was all "dude, you need a break, just hang out here at Kairnhall for a month. Do some hunting!" And Udet did, and when he got back to the office, Goering and Milch had removed all of Udet's remaining loyal staff with Milch's minions.

Udet kills himself, Goebbels' propaganda machine comes up with a cover story "killed while testing a new weapon", and Udet gets the national hero funeral, with an honor guard of Luftwaffe aces (Galland, Lutzow, Oesau, and Pelz) and Goering naturally gives the eulogy, the last line of which is "farewell, my best friend."

The next day, Goering gets a bit of bad news. A Luftwaffe general had died in bad weather conditions, flying to Berlin to try and make the funeral. And then, the biggest ace the Luftwaffe had, Werner Molders, died in similar circumstances.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

HEY GUNS posted:

you dumbasses, it's modern
most of this poo poo was developed in the 19th century, in colleges

(Not you, Jobbo Fett. That guy)

How did colleges end up some kind of big hotbed of dueling, anyway?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

ChubbyChecker posted:

Thanks for this and other cavalry chat.

Re: your username. How did backswords compare to sabres? My Napoleonic era sword knowledge is limited to Sharpe and Aubrey/Maturin books.

i'm gonna be honest, it was an Armored Core reference

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ChubbyChecker posted:

Please elaborate.

He was a fantastic chief of staff. Notably:

Kept a steady flow of men and materiel to the Imperial armies in the field (this is really, really hard)
Managed intake from conscription and training
Created and organized armies and corps
Kept Napoleon from murdering the Marshalate
Minimized Marshalate intrigue (lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Night10194 posted:

How did colleges end up some kind of big hotbed of dueling, anyway?

Young men with alcohol and nothing better to do after class?