Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I can usually get in front of people with my whopping 109hp. And if not, they're accelerating pretty hard, so can just slip behind them. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

borkencode posted:

Electric Vehicles mk3: Robotic dick chat

RoboCock

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Ev thread: robo-dong (supervised)

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

dissss posted:

The Tesla owners I know are about a 50-50 split between former performance car owners and those coming from a Leaf or Prius or similar. Completely different expectations between those two groups.

priznat posted:

This is totally true. It’s the most bipolar of customer bases you can possibly get.

what if i went from a prius to a wrx

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Cactus Ghost posted:

what if i went from a prius to a wrx

Time to get a Tesla?

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The M3P is unusually light for a performance EV and def not representitive of the average. But even that is kinda taking the piss / heavy for something that fast.

Its not as if theres no precedent in the ICE world for those kind of numbers *cough*NissanGT-R*cough*

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

FSD has been linked to hundreds of crashes by a federal investigation, and they suspected there were hundreds more that only couldn't be linked due to "gaps" in telemetry data. Investigators are also exploring whether Tesla committed wire fraud and securities fraud by publicly making claims that are beyond the system's actual capabilities (the car drives itself, no human input at all).

Without any overall context this means nothing. I mean Google tells me the US has 40,000 *fatal* vehicle accidents a year alone, so 29 fatalities in 4 years that may or may not have anything to do with the operation of FSD is like it or not, statistically insignificant. And for all we know the driver could have been texting or putting makeup on or 100 other dumb things people do while driving any car.

I mean the report the article refers to says "956 total crashes where Autopilot was initially alleged to have been in use at the time of, or leading up to, those crashes."

Initially alleged, as in the woman in my previous post?

About the only thing that rings true here is that calling it "autopilot" or "full self-driving" is dumb.

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 08:19 on May 17, 2024

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

what makes those 29 fatalaties significant is that the issue of who is liable for those deaths is not well-worn territory, legally. the rest of those 40,000 (or i guess, 160,000 since the 29 were over 4 years) fatal collisions are all going to have precedent that makes determining liability just a matter of establishing the facts of what happened. the 29 involving the full robosexual monty are an open legal question that's deeply complicated by tesla's decade of aggressively pushing their poo poo as hands-off, go to sleep in the back seat autonomous. and if their marketing is determined to have contributed to those deaths enough for them to incur some liability, that matters. it isn't just a question of "who kills more people"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ROFLBOT posted:

Without any overall context this means nothing. I mean Google tells me the US has 40,000 *fatal* vehicle accidents a year alone, so 29 fatalities in 4 years that may or may not have anything to do with the operation of FSD is like it or not, statistically insignificant. And for all we know the driver could have been texting or putting makeup on or 100 other dumb things people do while driving any car.

I mean the report the article refers to says "956 total crashes where Autopilot was initially alleged to have been in use at the time of, or leading up to, those crashes."

Initially alleged, as in the woman in my previous post?

About the only thing that rings true here is that calling it "autopilot" or "full self-driving" is dumb.

A federal investigation pointed at FSD and said "hey this poo poo loving sucks and is dangerous", that's the main point.

Since you're pointing out that the number of fatalities directly attributed to FSD is a drop in the bucket for all vehicle accidents, I'm sure you've already considered all of the ways in which that does not mean that those deaths are easily brushed aside. For instance I'm sure you've already thought about how the number of Tesla vehicles with access to FSD is itself a tiny fraction of the US driving fleet, how a Tesla FSD fatality probably looks nothing like a motorcycle fatality or a big rig fatality, etc.? Pointing to the tiny number of ATV deaths each year and saying "that's statistically insignificant" does not mean that an ATV is equally as safe as a passenger sedan, which is why you're not really trying to do exactly the same thing but for Tesla FSD... right?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Okay, so Tesla's have the most crashes per vehicle mile because they're driven by feckless loving morons that accelerate randomly into stationary objects and other cars, not because of the software that's well known to randomly come to a full stop on the highway for no reason, and depart the correct travel lane, with at least several know instances where it's driven the car off the road.

Good to know, thanks.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The NHTSA is probably investigating FSD in regards to fatal crashes because they're part of the vast global conspiracy to defame Elon Musk.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

ROFLBOT posted:

Its not as if theres no precedent in the ICE world for those kind of numbers *cough*NissanGT-R*cough*

The GTR is a much better engineered car and not a ordinary sedan strapped to a immensely fast driveline. It's still taking the piss even if its a false equivalency.

quote:

I am very much on the side of thinking many FSD crashes could have been prevented by a driver paying attention however there is also clear evidence that FSD is not even close to being an alpha level product and should not be allowed on any car. One death due to the failure of this software is unacceptible

Elviscat posted:

Tesla also has the highest accident rate of any car marque by a pretty solid margin on the US, correlation isn't causation though, so it could be that Tesla drivers are just absolute poo poo at driving, not the brand's wildly overpromised ADAS.

Have at it about Tesla or K-Dick or Bazingas but frankly no. Tesla drivers are just like everyone else on the road and there's nothing diferent about them.

We're not taking lovely takes about Tesla owners overall ITT

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

We're not taking lovely takes about Tesla owners overall ITT

I just thought it was funny that that's the tack the FSD defenders were taking.

All the Tesla drivers that monitor their FSD or just drive the car are fine I'm sure. Cruft particularly seems like an exceptionally safe, cautious driver, and I bet he keeps both hands on the wheel at all times, even in FSD.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tesla drivers who routinely use FSD as a substitute for actual driving are not just like everyone else on the road, on average they are more dangerous in a unique way. I'm sure that demographic is dragging down the statistics for Tesla vehicles in general

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

A federal investigation pointed at FSD and said "hey this poo poo loving sucks and is dangerous", that's the main point.

Since you're pointing out that the number of fatalities directly attributed to FSD is a drop in the bucket for all vehicle accidents, I'm sure you've already considered all of the ways in which that does not mean that those deaths are easily brushed aside. For instance I'm sure you've already thought about how the number of Tesla vehicles with access to FSD is itself a tiny fraction of the US driving fleet, how a Tesla FSD fatality probably looks nothing like a motorcycle fatality or a big rig fatality, etc.? Pointing to the tiny number of ATV deaths each year and saying "that's statistically insignificant" does not mean that an ATV is equally as safe as a passenger sedan, which is why you're not really trying to do exactly the same thing but for Tesla FSD... right?

Whoa hang on there buddy, i just told you there was a lack of context to your OP so bringing whataboutisms into it is not my argument to have.

What is relevant here is the stats in the report showing in the *vast majority* of accidents the driver clearly had enough time to take avoiding action, i mean 17% had 10 or more seconds to spot the hazard they eventually collided with. What the gently caress were they doing? If you actively click past the warnings saying YOU MUST BE IN CONTROL AT ALL TIMES, bypass the steering detection and then decide to have a sleep in the back seat while the car crashes that is 100% on you. It’s no different to engaging conventional cruise control which comes back to my point that the real issue here is driver behaviour coupled with poor nomenclature of the feature.

All of which is is a million miles away from my original point that the perils of touchscreen controls for anything barring frequently-used controls in the act of driving are massively overblown.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Tesla drivers who routinely use FSD as a substitute for actual driving are not just like everyone else on the road, on average they are more dangerous in a unique way. I'm sure that demographic is dragging down the statistics for Tesla vehicles in general

I think it's probably similar to how if you filter out all the accidents where drugs, alcohol, and lack of safety gear are a factor, motorcycles are actually pretty safe.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Look, if only people would stop being idiots on the road!

Oh wait...

(maybe a bit facetious, but the point stands)

ROFLBOT posted:

All of which is is a million miles away from my original point that the perils of touchscreen controls for anything barring frequently-used controls in the act of driving are massively overblown.

I've driven a Model S for over 5 years now, and the touchscreen doesn't bother me much, except when the UI/UX designers move the cheese around, then there's an adjustment period while I get used to what they changed. That said, I very rarely need to interact with the drat screen much, and the things I generally do is almost muscle memory at this point.

That said, not everyone learns how to interact with them efficiently, and those people should absolutely not buy cars with a big-rear end touchscreen as the only real UI/UX.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Finger Prince posted:

I think it's probably similar to how if you filter out all the accidents where drugs, alcohol, and lack of safety gear are a factor, motorcycles are actually pretty safe.

Not really EV related, but I was a Motorcycle Safety Coordinator in the Navy, and it's absolutely incredible the impact the bare minimum of safety gear and training effect Motorcycle fatality rates, like a 50% drop in just a couple years in the USN and USMC in a few years after implementing the policy, with a significant portion of those fatalities being ones who disregarded the mandate.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Wibla posted:

Look, if only people would stop being idiots on the road!

Oh wait...

I always love how the fanatics hand-wave away everything, like saying it's just idiots on the road, like you can somehow ignore the fact that Teslas are involved in crashes at a higher rate than any other car brand or discount the effect their marketing of "full self driving" or "autopilot" has on that statistic.

Tesla's marketing of their ADAS is inseparable from the excess deaths and road accidents that system has caused, full stop.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah ... I generally feel pretty safe driving a Tesla, knowing that they score well in crash tests etc.

But I don't trust AP/FSD. Not one bit. And I particularly don't trust other Tesla drivers, because they probably believe the blatant lies from Tesla about how good AP/FSD is.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
When comparing Tesla fatality statistics they should be normalized for vehicle age and price etc.

Traffic fatalities tend to be heavily biased towards older and cheaper vehicles. For example, here’s some local statistics that are a bit old for number of fatalities over a period of time vs. vehicle age.

Thus comparing Tesla fatalities against total traffic accidents gives way too rosy results for Tesla. Any newish vehicle outside of extreme outliers should perform much better than average car in such comparisons.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Can you explain what's going on in that graph?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Nitrox posted:

auton ikä

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nitrox posted:

Well you see, first the bar graph goes from 1 on the left most column, then it gets all wobbly the further to the right you go, with no explanation of what it is wobbly about or what the 1, 2 or 3 means.

Going to guess that the 1 2 and 3 mean number of fatalities? But that doesn't make sense as there's surely higher than 1 fatality per year.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 13:35 on May 17, 2024

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Elviscat posted:

Okay, so Tesla's have the most crashes per vehicle mile because they're driven by feckless loving morons that accelerate randomly into stationary objects and other cars, not because of the software that's well known to randomly come to a full stop on the highway for no reason, and depart the correct travel lane, with at least several know instances where it's driven the car off the road.

Good to know, thanks.

WhyCantWeHaveBoth.gif

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The GTR is a much better engineered car and not an ordinary sedan strapped to an immensely fast driveline.

:raise:

The GTR definitely benefitted more from from Nissan’s racing experience than *waves hand at Tesla generally.* However, it is very literally an ordinary 2+2 Coupe strapped to an immensely fast driveline.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

MrYenko posted:

WhyCantWeHaveBoth.gif

:raise:

The GTR definitely benefitted more from from Nissan’s racing experience than *waves hand at Tesla generally.* However, it is very literally an ordinary 2+2 Coupe strapped to an immensely fast driveline.

It shares almost zero body parts with any other Nissan car. From a structural standpoint, the PM platform is pretty far off of the FM and the only reason it's nominally called related is because Ghosn insisted that it needed to use FM in order to get greenlit. I think it shares some dimensionals and mounting points.

If you're calling the GT-R body ordinary, the Veyron is just an ordinary coupe body, nothing special there.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Fortunately there are M3Ps competing in motorsport so we can actually see whether they are just taxis with big motors or actually competitive cars

https://mstalr.com

For context, these are tarmac rallysprints with typically 70-100 entrants. All of these top 10 drivers know how to drive.

I've spoken to the driver of the front-running Tesla, aside from the mandatory safety stuff (cage, etc) it has race brake pads and fluid, tyres and coilovers, not so much for the springing/damping but because there is little camber/castor adjustment needed for semi-slicks which lowering the ride height fixes. That is it. No aftermarket electronic trickery. All the other cars are highly modified, the Tesla is by far the least-modified car in the field.

10 years of advancement in powertrain and power delivery over an R35 shows.

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 14:25 on May 17, 2024

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ROFLBOT posted:

Whoa hang on there buddy, i just told you there was a lack of context to your OP so bringing whataboutisms into it is not my argument to have.

What is relevant here is the stats in the report showing in the *vast majority* of accidents the driver clearly had enough time to take avoiding action, i mean 17% had 10 or more seconds to spot the hazard they eventually collided with. What the gently caress were they doing? If you actively click past the warnings saying YOU MUST BE IN CONTROL AT ALL TIMES, bypass the steering detection and then decide to have a sleep in the back seat while the car crashes that is 100% on you. It’s no different to engaging conventional cruise control which comes back to my point that the real issue here is driver behaviour coupled with poor nomenclature of the feature.

You're restating my point and then reinforcing it so thank you, I guess. Indeed, the fact that FSD does not perform adequately as a system that fully self drives means that driver inattenntaiveness is of tantamount importance, but a lot of drivers drank in the Elon Musk hype tweets and deluded themselves into thinking that it's driver replacement software despite the warnings. That's a problem! That's why the system is dangerous!

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Recap - we have a nema 6r-20L receptacle in the garage on a 20 amp circuit. We bought a id4 that came with a nema 14-50 charger.

If we change the receptacle, can we swap it to a 14-50 even though it would only be running on a 20 amp line? Or would we need to change it to a normal nema 6-20 receptacle and then buy a 6-20 charger? Trying to see if we can save 300 bucks or not.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

Alpenglow posted:

Tesla autopilot doesn't just read speed limits from those signs. It will happily treat many route markers divisible by 5 as a speed limit too!

I definitely have run into this on US 45

Finger Prince posted:

In the same data that shows Tesla as dangerous, RAM is even more dangerous for probably these reasons.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Spikes32 posted:

Recap - we have a nema 6r-20L receptacle in the garage on a 20 amp circuit. We bought a id4 that came with a nema 14-50 charger.

If we change the receptacle, can we swap it to a 14-50 even though it would only be running on a 20 amp line?

Do not do this. Your EVSE will try to draw more than 20 amps of current, which will hopefully only blow the breaker. At worst, you are going to start a fire.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Spikes32 posted:

If we change the receptacle, can we swap it to a 14-50 even though it would only be running on a 20 amp line? Or would we need to change it to a normal nema 6-20 receptacle and then buy a 6-20 charger? Trying to see if we can save 300 bucks or not.

Do not under any circumstances put a receptacle rated for higher amperage on a circuit sized for lower amperage. The prong layout of the plug and receptacle are physical barriers to prevent you from overloading the circuit and burning your house down.

Your only two options are to buy a mobile EVSE kit with a plug that fits the socket you already have, or hire a licensed electrician to sort out installing the one that came with the car.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Spikes32 posted:

With the 14-50, the charger will try to pull 40 amps which will obviously blow the 20 amp breaker since the plug on the charger determines the maximum current it will draw. So you will need a charger with a 6-20 plug to work on that circuit.

Also, make sure that that circuit has a 20 amp circuit breaker. My apartment has 6-20 receptacles for window AC units which actually use 6-15 plugs and the circuit only has a 15 amp breaker. That would explain why only one of the provided AC units uses that circuit while the other provided unit just uses one of the regular 120V circuits.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Thanks all we'll buy the evse with the 6-20 plug. I appreciate all the yelling at my dumb idea.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Spikes32 posted:

Thanks all we'll buy the evse with the 6-20 plug. I appreciate all the yelling at my dumb idea.

Yelling at things we think are dumb is what the SomethingAwful Forums is best at!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Can you set the current limit when charging an ID4, BTW?

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

Can you set the current limit when charging an ID4, BTW?

Yes, there is a "reduced current" setting that locks the current to 10 amps and is also accessible on the app. However, there is no adjustment between max and reduced.

So on a 240V circuit, 2400W is an improvement over the 1440W you get on a regular 120V 15A circuit and certainly fine in a pinch. However, unless you're really that tight on money, I'd say it's worth spending the money either a charger or (proper) adapter appropriate for that receptacle and circuit or upgrading the circuit to use the full capacity of the charger if that's feasible.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Ever since my commute got reduced to 12 miles a week I just charge 110v like a boss.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

PenisMonkey posted:

Ever since my commute got reduced to 12 miles a week I just charge 110v like a boss.

That's walking distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

PenisMonkey posted:

May I interest you in the greatest, actually revolutionary EV for this type of use, the e-bike.