Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Slippery posted:

how many time-traveling teenagers have you met :)

No one ever told me so I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Slippery posted:

how many time-traveling teenagers have you met :)

technically only one, over and over

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Evilreaver posted:

technically only one, over and over

You'd think they would be older, or younger. not sure which, tenses in time travel are hard

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

RareAcumen posted:

No one ever told me so I don't know.

Maybe all the teenagers you know are time travelers

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Slippery posted:

Maybe all the teenagers you know are time travelers

That would explain how someone born a couple of years ago in 2005 could be 14 years old.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Morpheus posted:

Are we talking about the same LiS? The one that began with a teenager getting shot in a school bathroom, had a serial killer prey on young girls, involved a choice on assisted death, and had you attempt to prevent a suicide? And finally ended with a choice between the life of your closest friend or an entire town of people?

A 'twee time travel thriller', really?

Edit: not to mention the thread of depression that permeates a lot of the characters lives.

Yes? The game where the main character is a hipster? It absolutely is that exact thing. Unless twee means it can only be about happy peppy teenagers who don't actually talk like teenagers

And yes the closest friend you hadn't talked to in literal years and only reconnected with like 4 days ago

Edit: also kids getting shot at school is unfortunately just a Tuesday :911: so that doesn't count

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I guess Life is Strange can be a bit twee at times, but it feels like those elements are there to make the darker stuff that much more unpleasant. A bit like Twin Peaks.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Doctor Spaceman posted:

That would explain how someone born a couple of years ago in 2005 could be 14 years old.

No poo poo right? Or how people can have been born in the 90s, which was less than a decade ago, and yet be driving/buying booze legally.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Life is Strange is one part teenage melodrama, one part Lynchian psychosexual thriller, and the confluence of the two without warning is what makes it the most amazing game ever made.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Life is Strange is one part teenage melodrama, one part Lynchian psychosexual thriller, and the confluence of the two without warning is what makes it the most amazing game ever made.

Yeah. It had this really unique charm that the sequel so far only manages to briefly channel every now and then

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I respect Dontnod for doing something totally different with Season 2 and I like it well enough, but the central conceit of LiS1 is so completely brilliant that you really only get away with it once.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Been playing Skyrim and doing all the DLC I never got around to playing the first time. I'm on the Vampire quest line and now I'm stuck in the Forgotten Vale. I've finished the quest , but I can't fast travel out. Anytime I try the game just freezes. This wouldn't be an issue if you could just walk out, but since it's DLC it's walled off in it's own area and far as I can tell you can't manually walk out since the only way to get into the Forgotten Vale is to fall down a waterfall and get swept away in a river so I guess my character just lives here forever now?

Bethesda.
Bethesda Never Changes.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Been playing Skyrim and doing all the DLC I never got around to playing the first time. I'm on the Vampire quest line and now I'm stuck in the Forgotten Vale. I've finished the quest , but I can't fast travel out. Anytime I try the game just freezes. This wouldn't be an issue if you could just walk out, but since it's DLC it's walled off in it's own area and far as I can tell you can't manually walk out since the only way to get into the Forgotten Vale is to fall down a waterfall and get swept away in a river so I guess my character just lives here forever now?

Bethesda.
Bethesda Never Changes.

Why should they? People have been rebuying Skyrim for what 7 years now?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Good loving Christ, Far Cry 5 has so many problems.
  • If you're going to give the player access to infinite attack helicopters with unlimited ammunition, it would probably be a good idea to factor that into difficulty
  • Related, this is the first Far Cry I've played where I've still been using the starting pistol halfway through
  • Enemies should probably react to me screaming from the heavens, machineguns blazing, by sounding an alarm rather than halfheartedly firing off a round or two from their rifles
  • STOP loving CAPTURING ME IN CUTSCENES. It's annoying, comes out of nowhere, and makes the cult hard to take seriously as a threat when I keep easily escaping from their clutches
  • The cult leaders just bore me. I hated Vaas. Despite his lack of screentime, Hoyt was still a bastard I wanted to kill. I wanted to join Pagan Min's side. I don't really care about Joseph Seed or his tedious monologues after killing each boss
  • Why isn't the game over the first time I get an aeroplane or helicopter? In 3 and 4, I could see why Jason and Ajay couldn't just leave. In 5, the whole problem is the cult has sealed off the valley so no help is coming. Instead of dicking around, why doesn't the deputy just take the first aircraft they can, leave the valley, call the feds and have them come down to Waco the bastards?

It's not a bad game, but it's not as good as 3 or 4. Ignoring graphical improvements, if I played these out of sequence without knowing what order they were released in, I'd assume this one was first because it has so many bad features that either weren't in other two, or were at least less intrusive in the other two.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Bethesda.
Bethesda Never Changes.

If you are on pc you can console out. Not sure about the deal if you're on, uh, console.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Sunswipe posted:

Good loving Christ, Far Cry 5 has so many problems.
  • If you're going to give the player access to infinite attack helicopters with unlimited ammunition, it would probably be a good idea to factor that into difficulty
  • Related, this is the first Far Cry I've played where I've still been using the starting pistol halfway through
  • Enemies should probably react to me screaming from the heavens, machineguns blazing, by sounding an alarm rather than halfheartedly firing off a round or two from their rifles
  • STOP loving CAPTURING ME IN CUTSCENES. It's annoying, comes out of nowhere, and makes the cult hard to take seriously as a threat when I keep easily escaping from their clutches
  • The cult leaders just bore me. I hated Vaas. Despite his lack of screentime, Hoyt was still a bastard I wanted to kill. I wanted to join Pagan Min's side. I don't really care about Joseph Seed or his tedious monologues after killing each boss
  • Why isn't the game over the first time I get an aeroplane or helicopter? In 3 and 4, I could see why Jason and Ajay couldn't just leave. In 5, the whole problem is the cult has sealed off the valley so no help is coming. Instead of dicking around, why doesn't the deputy just take the first aircraft they can, leave the valley, call the feds and have them come down to Waco the bastards?

It's not a bad game, but it's not as good as 3 or 4. Ignoring graphical improvements, if I played these out of sequence without knowing what order they were released in, I'd assume this one was first because it has so many bad features that either weren't in other two, or were at least less intrusive in the other two.

I think the part where you're cut off from the outside world extra dumb, considering the game started with a US Marshall going to arrest the guy, so it seems like there might have been some follow up by someone?

I've started skipping the cutscenes, the writing in this game is incredibly bad.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Swan Lake Algae Problem posted:

I've started skipping the cutscenes, the writing in this game is incredibly bad.
Same. Got tired pretty quickly of scenes consisting of a religious nutjob babbling on about their cult. I couldn't get enough of Pagan. :(

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sunswipe posted:

Same. Got tired pretty quickly of scenes consisting of a religious nutjob babbling on about their cult. I couldn't get enough of Pagan. :(

Pagan ruled and was a big part of why the story in 4 worked as well as it did for me. That secret ending idea was brilliant.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Not really on topic but topic-adjacent, it really sours my stomach when I notice a game I stopped playing, and the first thing I wonder is what thing stopped me from finishing it in the first place.

I mean, was it simply time? Did some other game take my attention? Or did ~something~ annoy me about the game? I just don't know. Plus, since it's been a while since I've played it, I'm halfway through a game and I don't remember how to play it. Dungeons 3, I'm looking at you.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 22:18 on Feb 16, 2019

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I have a bad habit of getting near the end of the game, thinking "now I'll do all the side content before finishing it", and then instead putting it down forever. Probably a holdover from being a kid that's maladaptive now that time is the limiting factor rather than money.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

I think the part where you're cut off from the outside world extra dumb, considering the game started with a US Marshall going to arrest the guy, so it seems like there might have been some follow up by someone?

The cult has infiltrated the US Marshall service, which is something you see in one of the first cutscenes. The dispatcher asks if everything is alright, Seed answers, and she says thank God and calls him Father.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Morpheus posted:

The cult has infiltrated the US Marshall service, which is something you see in one of the first cutscenes. The dispatcher asks if everything is alright, Seed answers, and she says thank God and calls him Father.

I thought that was county dispatch that was infiltrated, and the Marshals (one l, two l’s is for the dumb suburban kid name) were going in with Hope County sheriffs office providing most of the manpower.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I thought that was county dispatch that was infiltrated, and the Marshals (one l, two l’s is for the dumb suburban kid name) were going in with Hope County sheriffs office providing most of the manpower.

Ah, maybe. Not sure, that's certainly possible and I misconstrued it. Regardless, I feel like there's a line somewhere in the game, possibly on a note or from a rebel, that mentions why you can't just fly away.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Morpheus posted:

Ah, maybe. Not sure, that's certainly possible and I misconstrued it. Regardless, I feel like there's a line somewhere in the game, possibly on a note or from a rebel, that mentions why you can't just fly away.

Yeah, IIRC it’s that there’s a ton of other crazy cult poo poo going on so the outside kind of has its hands full as it is.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Bethesda.
Bethesda Never Changes.

i dont know if youve tried warping with the console, the command is 'coc whiterun' or whatever city you want

yes, console coc

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, IIRC it’s that there’s a ton of other crazy cult poo poo going on so the outside kind of has its hands full as it is.

I remember someone saying that if you listen to the radio you hear about the collapse of the outside world.

It kinda sounds like the game was written by a collection of people that didn't really speak or compare notes.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I remember someone saying that if you listen to the radio you hear about the collapse of the outside world.

It kinda sounds like the game was written by a collection of people that didn't really speak or compare notes.

That was more leadup to the ending, but yeah there’s a bunch of background stuff about how hosed everything is.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Yeah they stuffed a whole bunch of poo poo that's happening in the outside world onto the radio that works sporadically and you never really get to listen to too closely thanks to near-constant firefights. :v:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
And you can't listen to the radio while you're on foot or in a helicopter, which is how you'll spend most of the game.

That's the impression I get, and I think it's why I'm not finding the game as much fun as previous titles. There's some good stuff in there, but no one seems to have been overseeing the project to make sure everything came together into a cohesive whole.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Not even the forced kidnappings are consistent.
You can put off a couple of Drug Lady's ones if you're clever and aware by not interacting with out of place characters in the world. You can technically hold out against pretty boy if you avoid getting shot.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

MisterBibs posted:

Not really on topic but topic-adjacent, it really sours my stomach when I notice a game I stopped playing, and the first thing I wonder is what thing stopped me from finishing it in the first place.

I mean, was it simply time? Did some other game take my attention? Or did ~something~ annoy me about the game? I just don't know. Plus, since it's been a while since I've played it, I'm halfway through a game and I don't remember how to play it. Dungeons 3, I'm looking at you.

I think it is, at least for me. Most games these days, except for like sports games and racing games, really take a commitment to experience anything meaningful and get into a flow. Open world games in particular are incredible time sinks and only really work if you put some hours into them, as well as play them consistently. When I let a game like Witcher, Fallout or SKyrim sit around too long, I forget what the gently caress I was doing when I last put it down and tend to forget the control scheme.

I miss the challenge areas in the Arkham games because you could sit down for an hour and just kick rear end for a while.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

A boardgame I'd been waiting on finally came in and it was basically Onimusha in boardgame form. Samurai fighting demons and while assembling the bits I really wanted to play Onimusha so I grabbed the Switch port.

I knew the game was short but I didn't realize there was no Ng+ which makes putting that super special sword in the last room of the game completely pointless.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
One thing that drags a lot of games down to me nowadays is that starting one is almost a commitment. Not just jRPGs which always had a lot of bullshit before you can play, but they often have a tutorial, some sort of practice stage and then also an entire dungeon/area/section/idk that you play through and they introduce the mechanics before the game really begins.

Moonlighter for example, which I was playing last week or so: there is the tutorial where you learn the basic controls and the town are where you figure how to manage your shop; but even after that you still have to go through the 1st Dungeon floors to get Key Items for proper exploring while also financing other people to open services that will aid you, such as Blacksmithing or Potion Brewing - which is how you use all those materials you keep finding. Essentially, the entire first dungeon is an intro to the game before you have all the tools you need to actually play it properly.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Nier: Automata makes starting a real commitment by not giving you the ability to even save the game until you're about an hour in.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Qwertycoatl posted:

Nier: Automata makes starting a real commitment by not giving you the ability to even save the game until you're about an hour in.

I got one-shotted by the boss at the end of that when I was juggled between the two arms and it put me off the game so bad. I went back and beat the intro but I was so soured on it I didn’t play much past that.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

im pooping! posted:

i dont know if youve tried warping with the console, the command is 'coc whiterun' or whatever city you want

yes, console coc

I'm playing the SE edition on the PS4, so consoles are out for me. I eventually got it to work, apparently you can only warp to one specific place in the entire map (Castle Volikar). So I guess gently caress me for wanting to go to my house and wanting to drop off the 250 pounds of dragon bone I'd picked up.

Qwertycoatl posted:

Yeah I totally get why this is annoying and this a stupid thing to say but narratively it makes sense, and I'll always kind of love Yoko Taro for sticking to his guns and making the games he wants without a care or regard to "accessibility" or " fun". It took me two or three tries to get through the first part too and I think the rest of the game is totally worth it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
There’s a lot of tedious and annoying poo poo in Automata, and although there is a lot of genuine brilliance in the overall experience it sure does loving suck to play about 2/3 of it.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

RyokoTK posted:

There’s a lot of tedious and annoying poo poo in Automata, and although there is a lot of genuine brilliance in the overall experience it sure does loving suck to play about 2/3 of it.

Ah, a life simulator then

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

The Moon Monster posted:

I have a bad habit of getting near the end of the game, thinking "now I'll do all the side content before finishing it", and then instead putting it down forever. Probably a holdover from being a kid that's maladaptive now that time is the limiting factor rather than money.

I've ended up like this with the Talos Principle, even though I've heard the secret solve-all-the-extra-puzzles ending isn't as cool and satisfying as the regular one. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

I think it is, at least for me.

Yeah, trying to remember the last time I played it, I'm 50% sure I had just done a mission I didn't care for (when it comes to RTSes, I'm sorry, but I hate timed missions / missions that put a premium on YOU HAVE TO DO THIS NOW NO TIME FOR BUILDING UP A MURDERBALL), decided to not play for a while, and here I am months later.

Like, one of the things that is bugging me actually counts as content: I just started playing it again, and for the life of me I can't figure out the basic game verbs in Dungeons 3. It took me redoing the tutorial and trial-and-error to remember how to buy units ("Wait, is it like Dungeon Keeper? Are there portals I have to find? What do they look like?"), and it feels like every little thing that I know I once knew how to do is lost to me and it is bugging the poo poo out of me, holy poo poo.

(like, I had to look at the controls to find what was the Attack key to do an attack-move, since it wasn't A. aaaaaugh.)