Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

My group once had a skill challenge at a festival be a literal pissing (as in distance) contest without having a serious discussion about it beforehand; should i murder them or just sever?

This was about five years ago, if that's a factor in how upset I should be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Pharmaskittle posted:

My group once had a skill challenge at a festival be a literal pissing (as in distance) contest without having a serious discussion about it beforehand; should i murder them or just sever?

This was about five years ago, if that's a factor in how upset I should be

Were they peeing on Kobolds and did the Kobolds consent? If yes I don't see a problem.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

Were they peeing on Kobolds and did the Kobolds consent? If yes I don't see a problem.

Kobolds all love piss :biotruths:

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

On one hand, 'haha penises' is a classic juvenile joke and juvenile humor is the order of the day at a lot of tables.

On the other hand, getting defensive over the concept that it's a hosed up thing to roleplay flashing people is really stupid - the Black Tokyo Defense of 'it's just a gaaaaame' doesn't fool anyone

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

sleepy.eyes posted:

The women have tits, so who knows?

Not anymore it appears.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
The potential for being offensive irl is way too high to even start down that path.

Another player uses the exact same tactic to intimidate a table of women at a tavern, or a woman character flashes some drunk guys to distract them? Yeah no thanks I don't really want to dm those situations or deal with a player being uncomfortable when it goes too far.

But in the spirit of not saying no, I would just seriously punish the player who intimidated with their dragon member. I would make them regret it so hard nobody would ever think to try something with their genitals again.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

But in the spirit of not saying no, I would just seriously punish the player who intimidated with their dragon member. I would make them regret it so hard nobody would ever think to try something with their genitals again.

Because gently caress all that "have a mature discussion" bullshit.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
the real problem here is rolling a d20 for a social skill check, which leads to players trying to do zany things to add to it. I guarantee no one does that if they aren't rolling

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Lol this is so much worse

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
There exists, somewhere in this universe, the vague possibility that Enola Gay knows their players well enough that all of this unsolicited advice about a player character showing off their dick is entirely unnecessary.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

The Crotch posted:

There exists, somewhere in this universe, the vague possibility that Enola Gay knows their players well enough that all of this unsolicited advice about a player character showing off their dick is entirely unnecessary.

There also exists, somewhere in the universe, the vague possibility that when you put something out into a public discussion that the public will discuss that thing.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Of course. I just, y'know... hope everyone has tempered expectations when they make pronouncements as to how Enola should handle things.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Sooo, my Level 4 Barbarian just got a cast of Wish through an encounter with the Deck of Many Things. Balance is not a concern in this game at all. What kind of crazy shenanigans can I get up to with this?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Klungar posted:

Sooo, my Level 4 Barbarian just got a cast of Wish through an encounter with the Deck of Many Things. Balance is not a concern in this game at all. What kind of crazy shenanigans can I get up to with this?

Wish you were a wizard.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

kingcom posted:

Wish you were a wizard.

Besides that, obviously. OP items? Stat boosts? Levels? Companions?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Klungar posted:

Besides that, obviously. OP items? Stat boosts? Levels? Companions?

Wish to become a vampire, so that you get regeneration every turn, and life steal to your attacks, and a bonus to your attacks.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Hmm can a Wish bypass the limits of True Polymorph? Because if so you could wish to become a T-Rex, only keeping your mental scores and class abilities. If it can let you get that form that early, or a Ancient Red Dragon or Iron Golem, and you can keep decent mental scores and your personality, and keep your class abilities and possibly even still continue to level in Barbarian, then that would probably be a decent use of a Wish.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

It's good to remember that in the description of the spell, it basically states that the DM is supposed to find a loophole and screw you over if you try to wish too big, with creative interpretation of the wish. So in other words, phrase it well, and be careful about being too greedy.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

If someone casts a big ol Wish with careful wording, would it be natural to say "it takes time to fulfill the wish." Can you can spend time thinking about how it effects the world, or are you expected to come up with something on the spot?

Admittedly my improvisation is lacking and I'm newish at dnd in general so I don't like doing big things on a whim(yet), but I'm trying to get there!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

If you're going to be a passive-aggressive monkey's paw dick about the spell Wish, why did you give it to the players?

Maybe, and I know this is insane, don't and do something that's actually fun? Just an idea.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Xiahou Dun posted:

If you're going to be a passive-aggressive monkey's paw dick about the spell Wish, why did you give it to the players?

Maybe, and I know this is insane, don't and do something that's actually fun? Just an idea.

In Tir McDolh's defense, they were only just quoting what the Wish spell description says:

quote:

The DM has great latitude in ruling what occurs in such an instance; the greater the wish, the greater the Iikelihood that something goes wrong. This spell might simply fail, the effect you desire might only be partly achieved, or you might suffer some unforeseen consequence as a result of how you worded the wish. For example, wishing that a villain were dead might propel you forward in time to a period when that villain is no longer alive, effectively removing you from the game. Similarly, wishing for a legendary magic item or artifact might instantly transport you to the presence of the item's current owner.

The obvious solution is "yes, don't be a dick", or "don't play with the Wish spell if you can't help being a dick or you feel that the effect being Wished for by the player is excessively strong", but it's really rather the game's fault for putting the Wish spell in there and encouraging this kind of behavior.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Wish is the ultimate expression of 'ask your DM' combined with the idea that antagonistic DMing is obviously the best solution to any problem with a game

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Darwinism posted:

Wish is the ultimate expression of 'ask your DM' combined with the idea that antagonistic DMing is obviously the best solution to any problem with a game

I don't understand why a spell like this isn't something like 'The player and the GM discuss a downside that occurs as a result of the wish, the larger the wish the larger the downside or unexpected negative that can occur from it. Both the player and the GM should use this as an opportunity to create a narrative hook for the player's adventures in the future'

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Capstone-do-anything spell is not good design. Say what you will about immortals box set, but it gave you the amount of power points needed to throw a planet into the sun and not a spell called "you're immortal, ask your DM."

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

I also think only a really bad DM would actively try to find a way to gently caress you. If the DM doesn't mind, sure, allow a wish to become an ancient red dragon. A good DM should try to find a way to convince a player not to do it if they are going for something the DM thinks will break their game. Monkey's paw bullshit is a last resort.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Tir McDohl posted:

I also think only a really bad DM would actively try to find a way to gently caress you. If the DM doesn't mind, sure, allow a wish to become an ancient red dragon. A good DM should try to find a way to convince a player not to do it if they are going for something the DM thinks will break their game. Monkey's paw bullshit is a last resort.

http://dmdavid.com/tag/do-you-know-that-good-dm-people-talk-about-i-hate-that-guy/

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

If you've gotta do wishes, don't be a dick about them. Just state what will happen and ask if they're sure that's what they want.

"You're wishing to be a dragon, right? So you're saying you want the game to be about something different? I mean it's not like dragons are gonna be interested in (current thing), and if they are they're gonna solve the problem in about 20 minutes, so after that I guess it's gonna turn into a game about dragons doing dragon stuff. Are you sure that's what you want?"

If they say "gently caress yeah, dragon game!" then do that, they weren't invested in your story anyway.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Tir McDohl posted:

There's almost always a fun middle ground. As much as the powergamer in us all wants to do something crazy, you can take the spirit wish of that without also breaking the games.

Klungar posted:

Without going full Monkey's Paw, turn that barbarian into a dragon of appropriate size and level for the party. And eventually he'll become ancient.

Assuming you're playing 5e, here's some homebrew rules for being a goddamn dragon: http://www.enworld.org/forum/rpgdownloads.php?do=download&downloadid=1253

We're using them in a Roll20 game, he's not particularly overpowered. At least at level 2, ours is mostly fat, slow, and rocks strength checks like a boss. Maybe ask your GM to let you keep one or two Barbarian things to stack on top of that?

If you're looking to keep your barbarian and just get a power boost (fair, as they're not exactly OP as written), maybe use this to find a way to fix a problematic part of a class, just flat out steal another class's schtick. Does your barbarian need Find Familiar so he can summon hamsters/ferrets/ravens? Does he get to learn to channel his anger into psychic powers? Go dig through the Mystic class UA and see if you want one of those powersets. DM can limit the overall power by the Psi Points (anger points?) he gives you. Psionic Weapon could be great to have an axe made of PURE ANGER. Iron Durability would be pretty sweet, Giant Growth could be hella fun, Cerelity would be hilarious. Or go dig through the feat list, and find a wish that would fit that and get a free feat. Hell, just ask for Plus 1 Crit Range by wishing "I want to hit harder than any barbarian before me."

Alternatively to that, you're pretty low level, but do you have much of a backstory or interest in the world beyond the D&D baseline Murderhobo? Does his background involve needing to save someone/get revenge/cure a curse/etc? If you've built your personality around A Thing, go ahead and change That Thing, and see where that takes you.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

kingcom posted:

I don't understand why a spell like this isn't something like 'The player and the GM discuss a downside that occurs as a result of the wish, the larger the wish the larger the downside or unexpected negative that can occur from it. Both the player and the GM should use this as an opportunity to create a narrative hook for the player's adventures in the future'

See, that would be pretty cool and great and enhance the collaborative nature that good games tend to have.

So that is not the tack that Mearls&Co took.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I am currently running a game with a player using those Dragon Character rules, though I let them grab an actual background because it makes no sense for them to have fewer skills than everyone else in the game.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Ryuujin posted:

I am currently running a game with a player using those Dragon Character rules, though I let them grab an actual background because it makes no sense for them to have fewer skills than everyone else in the game.

Restricting a characters skills honestly only serves to restrict their noncombat options ever since skills were introduced, which restricts the way a player thinks about their interactions in a lot of noncombat, roleplay heavy scenarios. So, yeah, you did right.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Fair enough.

AlphaDog posted:

If you've gotta do wishes, don't be a dick about them. Just state what will happen and ask if they're sure that's what they want.

"You're wishing to be a dragon, right? So you're saying you want the game to be about something different? I mean it's not like dragons are gonna be interested in (current thing), and if they are they're gonna solve the problem in about 20 minutes, so after that I guess it's gonna turn into a game about dragons doing dragon stuff. Are you sure that's what you want?"

If they say "gently caress yeah, dragon game!" then do that, they weren't invested in your story anyway.

I like this approach.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

AlphaDog posted:

In addition, allow them the polymorph and give them an instinctual, insatiable desire to hoard all things shiny and valuable.

Let them and the party have fun with that for a while.

Maybe they build the dragon player a castle or cavern to start their dragon hoard, before running off to recruit kobolds and poo poo to worship him/her. Or else they realize this previously wealth-ambivalent axe-swinger is now skimming off of the kitty and you've got your next arc's villian and/or redemption story as they seek out another Wish to wish him back.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I really dislike how the monkey's paw wish has become the standard over favours offered by a powerful but still limited being.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Tir McDohl posted:

I like this approach.

Telling the players the consequences of what they're talking about doing, and letting them decide whether they'll do it or not is my usual way to handle unexpected scenarios that look like they'll permanantly derail the story or change the game into something else.

It's as simple as "You realise that would break everything, right?" If they're enjoying the way things are going, they're not going to break it. If they're not enjoying the way things are going, then they can and should break it.

After the session where they derail everything, usurp the king, burn down the country, turn into dragons, and/or whatever else is a great time to have the "so... you guys would rather be playing a different kind of game, huh?" conversation.

e: Because the very last thing I want to be doing is trying to run a game that nobody else really wants to play.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

My friend is DM'ing for his wife and her friends and he's not sure how to tell her she's doing it wrong. He went to sleep so I can't get more information but either he's not telling her that she gets sneak attack damage under the two circumstances you get it for rogues, or his wife doesn't sneak up to attack people before combat starts and instead is barbarian ululating as she runs directly up to someone to sink both daggers in their face and I hope it's the second one.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Even if the Rogue is Leeroy Jenkins-ing it up, they should STILL get Sneak Attacks to trigger as soon as a second person gets into melee range of whatever it is the Rogue is attacking.

If the Rogue goes second, then they really will get Sneak Attacks to trigger all the time anyway, unless they're deliberating running off to stab someone ELSE.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Yeah there's two approaches to rogueing. Sneaky gentleman thief or violent gang-based thug. She's taken the second route, good for her.

Stealth isn't even a compulsory skill.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Either I don't understand his question or he's just afraid of sounding like "god, you're doing it wrong, move over, let me "

But because he's asleep i've just been brainstorming answers to the literal text in an empty discord channel for 3 hours.

You could leave her dark souls tutorial messages in thieves' cant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Krinkle posted:

You could leave her dark souls tutorial messages in thieves' cant.

Lmao do this thing. "you have to have an adjacent ally or advantage for sneak attack" but everyone else hears "you have to check the tally on the ad man's page for cheap give and take"