Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Who the gently caress wrote that

You can say whatever you want about Rey not having a character or whatever but you’re kind of wrong and she would never say “well I got that going for me.”

Good god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

“When I met Luke Skywalker, I offered him his lightsaber and he tossed it away. Then he squeezed some blue milk out of a weird alien's udder right into his mouth. Luke Skywalker's a loving weirdo.”

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

"Mandalorian, do you realize that in addition to midi-chlorianing water, why, there are studies underway to midi-chlorian salt, flour, fruit juices, soup, jabba sugar, blue milk?"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They've still got no idea what they did wrong.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 minutes!
Rey is literally just Harry Potter and I'm tired of it

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jedi People, Dear Viewer

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Martman posted:

Rey is literally just Harry Potter and I'm tired of it

She didn’t have to be! She could’ve been some random lady who woke up with insane powers which would’ve been cool as hell.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

They never had any real idea who or what Rey is supposed to be or even really understood why that might be a problem.

I still bet it's the result of Hollywood writers and producers all being fifth generation failkids who have no understanding of a person's material relationship with their surroundings and the society that they were born into, besides being important because your parents were important.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They never had any real idea who or what Rey is supposed to be or even really understood why that might be a problem.

I still bet it's the result of Hollywood writers and producers all being fifth generation failkids who have no understanding of a person's material relationship with their surroundings and the society that they were born into, besides being important because your parents were important.

Yeah, I bet Rey probably even likes sand

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

CelticPredator posted:

You can say whatever you want about Rey not having a character or whatever but you’re kind of wrong and she would never say “well I got that going for me.”

Good god

lol i read that and instantly face palmed.

What next? "All the jedi are dorks... they're right behind me aren't they?"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
"I can sense that you think we are dorks... Also I just heard you say it!"

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Mantis42 posted:

There's still time to make her an android

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The real Rey is still stuck on Jakku.

Her android duplicate will be revealed as such in the first ten minutes, as her faceplate falls off, Westworld-style, during a Padawan training lesson.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

R2 rolling his eyes

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

CelticPredator posted:

Good god

Some of the Rey quotes are fine, some are dumb, but they're also from a toy at Disneyland, and anyone taking them super seriously (like that earlier quoted article did) are similar to anyone who treated the old EU Denny's place mat map seriously. It's not in a movie or TV show, it's not a big deal.

And yes, I know this is coming from a guy with a thrawn avatar.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 13, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

it’s just bad. They should do better and not write Rey like she’s in a joss Whedon joint

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

thrawn527 posted:

but they're also from a toy at Disneyland, and anyone taking them super seriously (like that earlier quoted article did) are similar to anyone who treated the old EU Denny's place mat map seriously. It's not in a movie or TV show, it's not a big deal.

Absolutely true, but also Disney Star Wars is asking you to take their place mats seriously, its all canon or whatever aka stupid. They should strive for quality in all areas, even in their jar jar tongue lollipops

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It turns out letting D-grade sci-fi writers go nuts with Star Wars was still a better idea than plugging the homogenised media slop machine into it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Can we not have either

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Gonz posted:

The real Rey is still stuck on Jakku.

Her android duplicate will be revealed as such in the first ten minutes, as her faceplate falls off, Westworld-style, during a Padawan training lesson.

Ahh the Austin Powers 2 strategy.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

CelticPredator posted:

Can we not have either

The fun part is they had the B and C grade people doing Star Wars and said nah, we're wiping the slate clean, then took the roadmap and put D and F grade people on it.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.starwars.com/news/john-knoll-star-wars-the-phantom-menace

It's fun that they're still using that puppet style, even through to The Mandalorian

The stuff about how they did the podrace is also interesting

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Found the super samples!!!!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Vinylshadow posted:

The stuff about how they did the podrace is also interesting

I have a harder time with TPM than a lot of people in this thread, but the podrace is legit amazing, and I could feel that from the first moment I saw a clip of it in the first trailer. Back then I remember thinking it was Beggar's Canyon, because you know, Tatooine, and who knew what was going on? But then the movie came out, and yeah, it ruled so god drat hard.

Like, I can hear that bottom image.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Vinylshadow posted:

https://www.starwars.com/news/john-knoll-star-wars-the-phantom-menace

It's fun that they're still using that puppet style, even through to The Mandalorian

It feels like an outgrowth of stuff Jim Henson was doing with puppets animated by people covered in black in front of black backgrounds (and the Fire Gang scene in Labyrinth which doesn't entirely work but is still pushing that idea.)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Practical effects are definitely part of Star Wars' aesthetic and charm as much as anything. Droids tend to look clunky, utilitarian and limited in function outside their specialty because they are. (Battle droids on the other hand, it makes sense are far more mobile and responsive, because a clumsy clunky droid would suck at it)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

thrawn527 posted:

I have a harder time with TPM than a lot of people in this thread, but the podrace is legit amazing, and I could feel that from the first moment I saw a clip of it in the first trailer. Back then I remember thinking it was Beggar's Canyon, because you know, Tatooine, and who knew what was going on? But then the movie came out, and yeah, it ruled so god drat hard.

The pod race as a stand alone scene is awesome. In the movie for me it’s dull as hell. And always has been for me. The tattooine scene just slows the movie way down and changes the focus on anakin who really isn’t that compelling.

I just felt nothing when watching the pod race scene in the context of the film but have enjoyed it more on its own to appreciate the craft and sound design.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

thrawn527 posted:

the one thing I think we can all agree the prequels do better than almost any other movie is awesome sound design.

I wish all the SW movies felt like that, instead of adding new memorably unique sounds they just did stuff like gently caress with the lightsaber activation sound to be bassier for some reason.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Glottis posted:

the one thing I think we can all agree the prequels do better than almost any other movie is awesome sound design.

I wish all the SW movies felt like that, instead of adding new memorably unique sounds they just did stuff like gently caress with the lightsaber activation sound to be bassier for some reason.

Imagine the They Fly Now??? Troopers with some oomph behind them.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Practical effects are definitely part of Star Wars' aesthetic and charm as much as anything. Droids tend to look clunky, utilitarian and limited in function outside their specialty because they are. (Battle droids on the other hand, it makes sense are far more mobile and responsive, because a clumsy clunky droid would suck at it)

god forbid Battle Droids suck at combat

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Even moreso than they already do, anyway.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Glottis posted:

Hardcore yep to this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erFcYsC6JaY

I love this sound so much.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM_V9dqtBug

If you haven't seen the doco from Attack of the Clones about the sound design it's really worth checking out (as are compilations of Ben Burtt's contributions to the commentary tracks).

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM_V9dqtBug

If you haven't seen the doco from Attack of the Clones about the sound design it's really worth checking out (as are compilations of Ben Burtt's contributions to the commentary tracks).

And the other guy featured in that documentary ended up voicing General Grievous because Gary Oldman dropped out when he found out the movie was non-union.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1791143007778906175

PT BTS material is the best material, even all these years later

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Galaxy of Sounds is a fun short watch/listen on Disney+

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Matthew Wood;s battle droids voices are terrible.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

garycoleisgod posted:

Exactly! I saw the title of the video and immediately remembered the sound. I couldn't tell you a single cool sound from the new ones. Or most other movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

garycoleisgod posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgRr0CLFhaw