Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
Jeez why is Annie flipping out so much this whole ether thing is pretty boring!

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1756

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Yak of Wrath posted:

Jeez why is Annie flipping out so much this whole ether thing is pretty boring!

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1756

Kat is just the life of the party.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
How is Kat a good inventor with an imagination this bad?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Adventure Annie needs a cool Stetson.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Elysiume posted:

This is actually how the ether is for everyone, it's just that Annie is a total gOFFik dRaMa qUeEn and everything in the ether is SUPER DRAMATIC and SUPERNATURAL

...I love whenever Kat comes in and does her "Smitty of the ether" thing :allears:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I like the idea that Kat doesn't have to jump through all the ridiculous symbolism hoops that Antimony does because she's The Machine Angel and Antimony isn't.

Then again, this is how she thinks about things. Her mind is the kind that comprehends the world by reducing everything to its simplest components.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Kats dumbassvision saves the day

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Giant mechanical death angel screaming "STOP FREAKING OUT" will help!

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Watch Annie describe what she looks like and Kat proceed to squeal in nerdy delight at being a machine god bird by way of Giger working at a scrapyard.

This reassures Annie that it is Kat.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
Here I was expecting Coyote's Fang to come into play, when it was Occam's Razor that I should have been watching for :v:

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Apparently the whole Infinite Maze dealy, from Kat's point of view, looks like just some lock on Elfboy's hands. Maybe easier to fix from that perspective.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I love that Kat's greatest power is being a killjoy.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
That or the device is made to trap Forest denizens and those who think like them, like Annie, and doesn't really work against something like Kat.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Goddamn, I love these switches in perspective. The most complex and powerful of traps laid low by a girl who just doesn't have the time for your nonsense. :allears:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Iceclaw posted:

That or the device is made to trap Forest denizens and those who think like them, like Annie, and doesn't really work against something like Kat.

In the end, Diego was a REALLY simple man who liked to be overly dramatic.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Synthbuttrange posted:

Well I mean yeah https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMNJuSl91qY

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

It will be interesting to see if Antimony's ridiculously complex perspective on the ether saves the day for Kat at some point.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Kat cuts right to the heart of the issue, and Annie can see things that nobody else can.

This is the coolest thing.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Big Boner Stacy posted:

It will be interesting to see if Antimony's ridiculously complex perspective on the ether saves the day for Kat at some point.

Sure. What Kat can't see right now is that elf guy is attacking Annie's spirit. It doesn't look like Kat perceives that their etheric forms are in a cat and mouse chase.

Unless they really aren't?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Elysiume posted:

It's not a lack of imagination, it's clarity. Kat has an inherently utilitarian perception of etheric shenanigans: she doesn't see things as they "are", she seems them as what they do.

So a terrifying giant monster who's just there to watch over a library is just a crummy library employee. All the being gigantic and looking like one of Giger's nightmares are just ornamentation, which she ignores. There's only one book they need, so she doesn't see the others, which are irrelevant and could as well just not be there. And the big maze inside the arrow is just a prison to keep green dude trapped, so she just sees it as a cell with a shackled green dude.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
What is the ether, but a product of mankind's imagination?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

But...its my room...

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Synthbuttrange posted:

I mean that's basically what the biblical angels do every time they show up, so

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Rasamune posted:

I mean that's basically what the biblical angels do every time they show up, so

"Be not afraid, for I bring you tidings of great joy!" Said the giant burning wheel with dozens of eyes.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

This is exactly what I did not expect and its perfect in every way.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
So when Kat unlocks forest guy's manacle thing, is it gonna looks all freaky? I hope we get a neat view of geiger angel Kat catastrophically resolving the labyrinth's fundamental paradox or something like that.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Worthleast posted:

This is exactly what I did not expect and its perfect in every way.

I don't know if I can empty-quote so: :same:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

a kitten posted:

I don't know if I can empty-quote so: :same:

Not-emptyquoting the not-emptyquote. I love this.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Kat's probably wondering why Annie's freaking out at her, when she's the jabroni with the freaky scar on her face.

Mikl posted:

Not-emptyquoting the not-emptyquote. I love this.

:same:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder if Jeanne thinks she can take on angel-Kat.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Mraagvpeine posted:

I wonder if Jeanne thinks she can take on angel-Kat.

I don't think murder-ghost Jeanne could take on angel-Kat, but full grown woman and expert fencer Jeanne could certainly take on normal human teen Kat so it kind of depends whose perspective it is based off of.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Jeanne sees Machine God Kat, immediately goes "Diego, is that you?"

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

QuantaStarFire posted:

Jeanne sees Machine God Kat, immediately murders her

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

QuantaStarFire posted:

Jeanne sees Machine God Kat, immediately goes "Diego, is that you?" surrenders because she is scared and also french

Fixed that for you.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Inglonias posted:

Fixed that for you.

2003 called, they don't really want their joke back.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I like to think that crazy library monsterman was seeing Angel-Kat the whole time, and ran away when she threw him out of his own room.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Kat's cutoff "Annie you look terrific" comment seems a bit odd to me. I have to wonder if she is seeing Annie a little bit differently than she is being presented thus far.

It just seems weird in this context, given that by all appearances Annie is disheveled, sweaty, and a little panicky to tell her she looks terrific.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Terrified.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Lurdiak posted:

Terrified.

Ah, thank you. Her earlier casual demeanor threw me off and lead me to expect a different word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Arglebargle III posted:

I like to think that crazy library monsterman was seeing Angel-Kat the whole time, and ran away when she threw him out of his own room.

I think we can infer that this is in fact canon at this point.