Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Wrr posted:

I got a big jar of the AK Interactive Snow Effects but I'm still not sure how to use it best to make it look good.

mix it with a water effect in various ratios to get snow of different consistencies: powdery, slushy, nearly water, very icy, pretty much ice etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x4VscgNt1Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Toebone posted:

My go-to snow effect is a mix of white PVA and baking soda. Stir it up, tweak the ratio to make it more or less smooth/bumpy, then slop it on with a toothpick.

I do roughly 50:50 white PVA and white craft paint, then chuck in a load of baking soda for the texture (I think its broadly equal parts PVA, paint and baking soda but dont quote me on that). I do sometimes consider buying some of the specialty snow products to try but paint/PVA/bicarb works well enough for me for the amount of figures I need it for. If I was going to do a whole snow army I'd probably pick some up for ease/consistency sake. But man I've seen so many painting videos where someone says "I've tried X, Y and Z for snow and it all sucks rear end, but product W is the best I've found" and theres zero consensus on which product is W.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Baking soda's okay for the texture, but you're going to want to go back and paint it. Baking soda will start to yellow over time, which is generally not the snow effect modellers are going for.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Finished the Royal Guards.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

That red is lush.

I wanna carpet made out of that material.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
How are Citadel’s white primers these days? I’m looking to get a half decent result quickly for either Necrons or Space Marines using white and have never messed about with the latest rattle can primers. Anything to be wary of or watch out for?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Shirkelton posted:

How are Citadel’s white primers these days? I’m looking to get a half decent result quickly for either Necrons or Space Marines using white and have never messed about with the latest rattle can primers. Anything to be wary of or watch out for?

the ones that are meant as contrast bases are great. corax white is very bad

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
I like citadels grey primer more than army painters, there was a problem with shipping & UK before for spray paint but that seems to have been sorted now

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Progress! After determining that two missing o rings on my airbrush were causing irregular pressure I finished priming and applying a zenithal. White ink still has a dendency to speckle so this is last use of the Amazon basic brush.

But below is the colour scheme test. The terradon turquoise is a bit too rich for my liking but switching to GW contrast paints is such a time saver. Time that I can now waste trying nmm. It's not jaw dropping amazing but 85% happy with the outcome.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

MasterBuilder posted:

Progress! After determining that two missing o rings on my airbrush were causing irregular pressure I finished priming and applying a zenithal. White ink still has a dendency to speckle so this is last use of the Amazon basic brush.

But below is the colour scheme test. The terradon turquoise is a bit too rich for my liking but switching to GW contrast paints is such a time saver. Time that I can now waste trying nmm. It's not jaw dropping amazing but 85% happy with the outcome.

Contrasts mix really well, either directly or as a second layer with a second colour. Combining them and experimenting with thinning them gives you insane options for easy tone changes.

He's a cool dude nice work.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

SiKboy posted:

I do roughly 50:50 white PVA and white craft paint, then chuck in a load of baking soda for the texture (I think its broadly equal parts PVA, paint and baking soda but dont quote me on that). I do sometimes consider buying some of the specialty snow products to try but paint/PVA/bicarb works well enough for me for the amount of figures I need it for. If I was going to do a whole snow army I'd probably pick some up for ease/consistency sake. But man I've seen so many painting videos where someone says "I've tried X, Y and Z for snow and it all sucks rear end, but product W is the best I've found" and theres zero consensus on which product is W.

I asked this in the Malifaux thread as well, but asking it here to make sure you see it: could I use some pictures of your Ironsides crew for an article I'm writing on Malifaux? With proper credit, of course.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Song of Ice and Fire mini, right? I think I've seen that on Miniac's channel

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Song of Ice and Fire mini, right? I think I've seen that on Miniac's channel

Yeah from the Greyjoy starter. One of the squad of axe guys have a come at me bro stance but the real mother fuckers are the guys with the pseudo scythe.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Booyah- posted:

the ones that are meant as contrast bases are great. corax white is very bad

I was thinking of maybe trying Wraithbone and doing an off-white, desert thing. That any good?

EDIT: Couldn’t find Wraithbone, but did find a store with Army Painter Matt White, so I’ll build off that.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Dec 23, 2021

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I asked this in the Malifaux thread as well, but asking it here to make sure you see it: could I use some pictures of your Ironsides crew for an article I'm writing on Malifaux? With proper credit, of course.

I answered there too, but you absolutely can, no problem!

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Finished Veers today.

Now I'm all out of Star Wars minis to paint. Ordered a starter set so I have that to look forward to!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Verisimilidude posted:

Finished Veers today.

Now I'm all out of Star Wars minis to paint. Ordered a starter set so I have that to look forward to!

Some time next week, no hurry, can you post all the models you painted in 2021? Doesn't have to be a good photo. I'm just curious how much you got done because you're killing it at speed painting.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Spanish Manlove posted:

Some time next week, no hurry, can you post all the models you painted in 2021? Doesn't have to be a good photo. I'm just curious how much you got done because you're killing it at speed painting.

I’ll try to do a year in review type thing. I have much more stuff I’ve painted than I’ve photographed, so I’ll try to catalogue everything.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Love this guy, I've been looking at it since you posted.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

apologies for lots of images but I was so happy I finished this before end of year---Radukar is the biggest miniature I've done to date and I'm really happy with the more Celtic color scheme for him. Absolutely incredible sculpt, one of my favorites to make by far.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Hi thread, here's some stuff I've finished in the last month or so, in approximate chronological order.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Virtual Russian posted:

Love this guy, I've been looking at it since you posted.

Thanks! I'm really happy with his face especially.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
That Andor figure is so good.

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Merry Christmas everyone! I'm going for a chrome look, any ideas on how to make it read as shiny? Mainly asking for the pauldron as I've only started blocking in the main colours in the other areas, which I'm also not sure about

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Semigloss-to-Gloss varnish is what you're looking for, preferably brush-on so you can leave it off the areas you don't want to be shiny

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah I like gloss varnish for stormtroopers to get a similar effect. If you want a weathered look might also help to drybrush a bit of metallic paint on the edges to simulate chipping

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Mugsbaloney posted:

Merry Christmas everyone! I'm going for a chrome look, any ideas on how to make it read as shiny? Mainly asking for the pauldron as I've only started blocking in the main colours in the other areas, which I'm also not sure about

I think your colors look good but the spacing is a little too even. The color changes represent reflected distance and perspective.

You want a thin line of white and chocolate in the middle, then increasingly thick bands of darker blue and lighter brown as you creep towards the top and bottom. Annot half the surface should be the lightest brown and darkest blue.

What you're doing is cheating depth and the horizon effect. You also want your center line to be parallel to the ground, ignoring the figure's orientation.

Another thing you can do is gloss coat and put a white "source light reflection" near the top to add percieved depth.

This is one I did, and I'm proud of it but it's much easier than it looks. It's all color choice and spacing the transitions properly.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Merry Christmas, everyone. Here's a Reaper Santa Dwarf I painted up for the holiday.

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

moths posted:

I think your colors look good but the spacing is a little too even. The color changes represent reflected distance and perspective.

You want a thin line of white and chocolate in the middle, then increasingly thick bands of darker blue and lighter brown as you creep towards the top and bottom. Annot half the surface should be the lightest brown and darkest blue.

This is one I did, and I'm proud of it but it's much easier than it looks. It's all color choice and spacing the transitions properly.

That looks great! Thanks so much, this is super helpful. Did you mean About or And Not btw, I think I have too much dark blue?

Mugsbaloney fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 25, 2021

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oh weird, it autocorrected into nonsense.

Should be "about," you want the bulk of it to be almost the lightest blue or darkest tan - but reserve white and deepest brown for the farthest horizon line at the middle.

Think of it as painting a tiny landscape on each surface!

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Finished this AT-ST today, though I may go back and fill out more details. I don't really know what else to put, since all the pictures of AT-STs I see online are pretty standard. Maybe some stencils and such?

Either way, I'm in love with the base. Found some stones in my driveway and a twig outside my FLGS to give it some scale

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
That AT-ST looks like it could be an official pre painted model

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Jesus, I just scrolled past it because I thought it was box art / studio work.

That's outstanding work.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

moths posted:

Jesus, I just scrolled past it because I thought it was box art / studio work.

That's outstanding work.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Verisimilidude posted:

Finished this AT-ST today, though I may go back and fill out more details. I don't really know what else to put, since all the pictures of AT-STs I see online are pretty standard. Maybe some stencils and such?

Either way, I'm in love with the base. Found some stones in my driveway and a twig outside my FLGS to give it some scale

That’s looks great. How are the edge highlights done on the walker? They’re like unbelievably consistent. Pencil? Dry brush? Edge of brush? Regardless, super well done.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

:asoiaf:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

It's hard not to look at this and tell the anxiety demon that says "you'll never be good enough to do this" to shut the gently caress up

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Verisimilidude posted:

Amazing work! Is this the Bandai AT-ST, or one specifically from the same game as the stormtrooper minis?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Revelation 2-13 posted:

That’s looks great. How are the edge highlights done on the walker? They’re like unbelievably consistent. Pencil? Dry brush? Edge of brush? Regardless, super well done.

The quality of the model helps a lot. The edges are very clearly defined and sharp, so all I had to do was a light dry brush with a makeup brush using Vallejo model air pale blue grey. I then went back with some of the same color and did edge highlighting on the highest edges.

The model does most of the work honestly. I think in total it took about 2 hours from start to finish, and that’s entirely because the model has a very simple scheme and is incredibly easy to paint, especially with an airbrush.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Amazing work! Is this the Bandai AT-ST, or one specifically from the same game as the stormtrooper minis?

It’s Star Wars legion!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Verisimilidude posted:

The AT-ST is obviously absurdly good, but I agree with your love for the base; tons of character there without distracting from the model.