Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
A theory I've seen thrown around is that Kat sees the ether the way she does, not because of her mindset, but because as a (vaguely) divine entity, she is big, powerful, and complex, and relative to her other things are small, safe, and simple, and so that's how she sees them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kat couldn't see through the psychopomps, or the horrible whaleboat. It's possible her power only works on illusory/man-made ether stuff.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Lurdiak posted:

Terrified.

Nah, now that they're in private (ignoring that green dude who's just chilling out) Kat was about to try and make her move on Annie.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Lurdiak posted:

Kat couldn't see through the psychopomps, or the horrible whaleboat. It's possible her power only works on illusory/man-made ether stuff.

Well, the whaleboat pulled all their physical forms into an etheric realm, and then when it got fried shunted them back in a disjointed fashion (hence Paz briefly seeing Kat in her Omnissiah form) as opposed to here where it's more of an etheric projection...but yeah I got nothing for the RotD. Also, the psychopomps manifested in the physical world as opposed to being seen etherically, which is probably relevant, but v:shobon:v

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Potato Salad posted:

A lot of Kat's The Maker's appearance parallels panels from Anthony Carver's sacrificial antenna. In particular, the eyebrow / antennae look like scalpels and other surgical tools all pressed together -- and of course the needle mohawk hardly needs to be pointed out. What isn't sourced from medical tools, like The Maker's neck muscles, still look like the elongated and twisting bones and flesh from Carver's antenna. Could just be the artist's art style replicating the same approach to spoopy ether artwork, could be something more. My head cannon atm is that The Maker uses the same approach to building / manipulating ether poo poo that Carver was only barely able to dip into with his extremely-limited level of understanding when Coyote showed him how to make an etheric antenna with his arm.

I don't know if anyone's really replied to this, but the reason that they're similar is because the ether is also a reflection of the person interacting with it at the time. For Kat, her experience with the Ether always comes through the lens of 'This is how it works, here's why, that's it', which is why you have a maze becoming a shackle. However, what other people see in the reflection is different. Kat, either through the Robots worshipping her or her own work in biomechanics, is seen as some massive amalgamation of organic and synthetic because that's how she's seen by enough people. As Coyote says, etheric creatures are created through the minds of others. She is The Maker because enough people see her as such.

On to Anthony, the reason his linear artwork matches up with Kat's is because they both share the logical lens, but from different viewpoints. Then, once he goes off the deep end, you start to see that crack. In his artwork with the etheric antenna, you start to see it warp and shift, losing it's mechanical function and becoming more organic, almost diffusing into the ether as he progresses. That's because Anthony has no anchor. Unlike Kat, who literally has a cult formed around herself and has the respect of friends and family to help create a 'mythos', Anthony has nothing and no one. He's a shell of a man playing at being a father long after it was needed, all people see him as is Dr. Carver. And it's becoming increasingly apparent that all he is to most people is the 'Dad of Antimony Carver'.

It's not so much a wellspring that Kat or Anthony tap into, but more like how they see the world and how the world stares back. They share details due to their lens, but the scope of their effect on the ether is directly proportional to the bonds they have. It's all about those Social Links, people.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Kat can see Annie's scar in her ether vision. Kinda interesting.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its just a scar.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
"What the hell you doing, ya dingus? It's just a lock."

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
The key will be crudely sticky-taped to the underside of the hand trap. Calling it now.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Me irl right now: :allears:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

"It's not even a lock its a rock with stuff painted on it"

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
It's just a basic 5 pin tumbler. On the other hand, I think Annie left her lockpicks inside Reynardine.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Aumanor posted:

It's just a basic 5 pin tumbler. On the other hand, I think Annie left her lockpicks inside Reynardine.

Might as well get the whole gang. Its been a while since we've seen ethereal reynardine. (If ever? Memory hazy)

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Conot posted:

Might as well get the whole gang. Its been a while since we've seen ethereal reynardine. (If ever? Memory hazy)

Yeah, we've seen his foxface floating around before, especially when Annie was first learning to look around in the ether.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Come on Annie, get it together. :colbert:

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Unlock the thing, Annie.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Rufukkenkiddingme

This is fantastic

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

My prediction: Kat will snap Annie out of whatever state of mind she's in to allow her to see that this is just a lock. She will then pick the lock.

Oh, and then other things happen.

This comic is just so cool. I really love it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Annie's seeing the lock from the inside.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Splicer posted:

Annie's seeing the lock from the inside.

But who was phone?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

That was really funny to me but I don't think everyone has the associations I have in my brain. Don't worry gang it's good you can trust me.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

So that's what this is.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

aaand she has to use her newly-reacquainted ether-telekenesis (per the bowling chapter) to move the lock mechanism parts

god drat it tom

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
Whose perspective we're perceiving things from seems to be important - Annie's Scar wasn't visible in Realm of the Dead, and Kat's still drawn as a person, not a robo-angel, when she tells the huge critter dude to scram. But here, Annie has her scar, even though Kat's still seeing things... very saliently.
I think the ether shows itself the way you expect it to - a forest creature or medium expects an enormous maze, a symbolic paradoxical construct because the ether is everchanging and mystical. So the arrow becomes an unsolvable prison. A court scientist sees the arrow as a device, a simple thing that can be unlocked. And thus it is reduced to a lock.

Annie and Kat are seeing different things, but they're both true.

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!
It may be worth noting that they entered the Realm of the Dead as physical guests, and not in spirit form. I think giant library monster got told off my a little girl, even from his perspective. He just wasn't used to dealing with anyone with a strong will since his appearance is so scarry. Either way he's just a crumbum.

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

What a good chapter.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

So did the bomb, Mort. For a start.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Iceclaw posted:

So did the bomb, Mort. For a start.
Savage.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I miss Mort.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

ConfusedUs posted:

I miss Mort.

The world continues to turn.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I can't believe Mort is fuckin' dead.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Mort was a ghost the whole time?!

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Lunar Suite posted:

Whose perspective we're perceiving things from seems to be important - Annie's Scar wasn't visible in Realm of the Dead, and Kat's still drawn as a person, not a robo-angel, when she tells the huge critter dude to scram. But here, Annie has her scar, even though Kat's still seeing things... very saliently.
I think the ether shows itself the way you expect it to - a forest creature or medium expects an enormous maze, a symbolic paradoxical construct because the ether is everchanging and mystical. So the arrow becomes an unsolvable prison. A court scientist sees the arrow as a device, a simple thing that can be unlocked. And thus it is reduced to a lock.

This is how I've always understood the ether to work ever since that chapter with the head of the ROTD.

I've always imagined it as something like a Scooby-Doo episode taken to extreme lengths. At the beginning when you're not supposed to realize the bad guy's in a mask or cheap costume he might as be as dangerous as whatever he's dressed up as, but if you're capable of stepping back and looking at the situation as a whole you can see it for what it really is. Everyone who doesn't know the "secret" behind the ether sees all the the things the smoke and mirrors try to invoke, a la Annie in the chapter I mentioned before the head of the ROTD explained it to her, but if you know what to look for or have it explained to you it's like the difference between walking through a haunted house in the middle of the day versus midnight. Like you said both experiences are correct, but everyone gets the midnight experience unless they know better.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
I don't think Kay's simplified view is more accurate than Annie's, though, just that her expectations and mindset shape - not just her perception but her reality within the ether?

That is, it's both a bunch of props and a real haunted house - at the same time. Both of those things are true, but which one is your reality depends on what you are?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It feels inaccurate to describe anything in the ether as "real". It's a realm of mind and magic, and it'll fit the shape of your mind and magic.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Lunar Suite posted:

I don't think this is exactly what's going on, because on the previous page Kat says she expected the ether to look different. Annie presumably told Kat about her experiences with the ether, so Kat's expectations would be based on Annie's descriptions, so if it was based entirely on expectation then they'd be seeing something similar.

Mindset is probably part of what's going on here, but I think it's mainly Kat's status as the Maker that lets her see things this way.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Cat Mattress posted:

It's not a lack of imagination, it's clarity. Kat has an inherently utilitarian perception of etheric shenanigans: she doesn't see things as they "are", she seems them as what they do.

So a terrifying giant monster who's just there to watch over a library is just a crummy library employee. All the being gigantic and looking like one of Giger's nightmares are just ornamentation, which she ignores. There's only one book they need, so she doesn't see the others, which are irrelevant and could as well just not be there. And the big maze inside the arrow is just a prison to keep green dude trapped, so she just sees it as a cell with a shackled green dude.

This is how I interpret what's going on.

Past that, whether that perspective is because she's the Creator or if she's the Creator because of how she can intuitively figure things out is kinda unanswerable in a setting where cause and effect can go backwards.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Kat does seem to be the heir to Diego's expertise. Perhaps because of this she can see his Etherical work clearly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
I just realized Kat made a magic wand that lets you zap yourself into the ether. I hope the court doesn't find out about this.