Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'd be a lot more excited about the US if there were giant loving elephants roaming the plains

e: what a snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Buffalo are kind of like elephants

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Gaius Marius posted:

Tape a vacuum hose to their snout and squint.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
"Cherokee war elephants made short work of the colonists"

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
No wait, it says "War Mammoths" here

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Gaius Marius posted:

They're like moose in that you really have to see one to realize how big they are.

You stand near one and realize you only live because they don't give enough of a poo poo atm to trample you. But you know you live or die at their whim, and you couldn't do poo poo if they decided you must die.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tunicate posted:

there are a few places which require permits to collect vertebrate fossils (and often it's just :fivecbux:), but there isn't like an ownership permit or anything. You can just go and buy a fossil turtle or a fossil fish or whatever, there are millions of 'em so the scientific value of any particular one is basically nil.

Hell my uncle turns up dino bones of varying intactness on his farm regularly, the local dino museum doesn't even want them because they're so common.

MMA fighter Georges St. Pierre is a multimillionaire with a dinosaur fetish. He would probably pay tens of thousands of dollars for them.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If mastodons hadn't gone extinct before Europeans came to America, they sure would be extinct by now.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

They're like moose in that you really have to see one to realize how big they are.

You stand near one and realize you only live because they don't give enough of a poo poo atm to trample you. But you know you live or die at their whim, and you couldn't do poo poo if they decided you must die.

Moose aren't herd animals though, so you'll likely only ever see one at a time, and it's hard to imagine how menacing a whole group moving in sync could be.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
you'd think that, but a fossilized vertebra from some rando dinosaur goes for like, fifty dollars on ebay, including shipping

Basically it's the well-preserved intact, articulatable dinos that are rare and expensive / museum stuff. If you just want a single reasonably intact fossil bone or a tooth or something and don't care what kind of dino, they're pretty common and cheap, and miscellaneous fragmentary bits of bone are even cheaper.

I think someone mentioned roman coins and it's a pretty good comparison, you'd think that it's super hard to get a roman coin and that they're really expensive, but if you just want some random coin and aren't picky about condition it's like :10bux:

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 9, 2021

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

The best thing about mastodons is that early paleontologists in America apparently had an inferiority complex about the cool predatory animal fossils being found in Europe vs boring stuff in the US like giant sloths. So they sort of decided that rather than being herivores mastodons were actually giant superpredators who feasted on meat, so there!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Scarodactyl posted:

The best thing about mastodons is that early paleontologists in America apparently had an inferiority complex about the cool predatory animal fossils being found in Europe vs boring stuff in the US like giant sloths. So they sort of decided that rather than being herivores mastodons were actually giant superpredators who feasted on meat, so there!

"Between the razor sharp tusks, the infernal beast had a long muscular protuberance, called the flamethrower."

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ola posted:

"Between the razor sharp tusks, the infernal beast had a long muscular protuberance, called the flamethrower."

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

The wurst kind of sausage

Telsa Cola posted:

Lotta folks have a story of little peoples. Its not unique to the Flores.

It is a little different in that the Ebu Gogo legend isn't that of a supernatural being or having particular abilities but more of an oddity that comes out of the jungle.
As Richard Roberts, discoverer of the Hobbit described it: https://www.primates.com/ebu-gogo/index.html

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Mr Havafap posted:

It is a little different in that the Ebu Gogo legend isn't that of a supernatural being or having particular abilities but more of an oddity that comes out of the jungle.
As Richard Roberts, discoverer of the Hobbit described it: https://www.primates.com/ebu-gogo/index.html

Other areas/islands nearby have similar stories about similar things that are fairly mundane and probably related to the fact that apes/monkeys are prevalent or have been historically in those regions.

I mean just look at all the stuff around orangutans.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 13, 2021

Tunicate
May 15, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Also there are extant groups of people who, for whatever reason, are short.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/postclassics/status/1392921675197452294

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I've been reading The Fate of Rome and I have to say, hearing the Fall of Rome narrative from the point of view of climate and disease is quite interesting, even if the author I think does kinda make some weird leaps of logic at times. I do particularly like the Fall of the Western Roman Empire framed more in the context of "The Romans could not have stemmed the tide of humanity fleeing the megadrought on the Eurasian steppe, and also sincerely hosed everything up at the Battle of Adrianople" than the more common context of a Roman system that was completely unresponsive and teetering at the end of the 4th century.

EDIT: Also, if you'd be so kind, can somebody link me the effort post wherein the Athenians managed to totally gently caress up a war?

A Festivus Miracle fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 14, 2021

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tunicate posted:

Also there are extant groups of people who, for whatever reason, are short.

I wonder what neolithic crossfit looked like

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
I helped a friend remove some stumps from his property this weekend and it was a huge pain in the rear end, even with a chainsaw and a jack. How did pre industrialized people clear land for farms and roads? What tools did they use?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

dokmo posted:

I helped a friend remove some stumps from his property this weekend and it was a huge pain in the rear end, even with a chainsaw and a jack. How did pre industrialized people clear land for farms and roads? What tools did they use?

slaves

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
fire? they didn't have dynamite or thermite but they had oils. drill some holes in, let something flammable soak in it and light er up? (total guess)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Slaves and/or animals and/or you fuckin did it yourself no matter how long it took. There's not really a fun answer, it was just a lot of lovely hard labor.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
That's why you have a bunch of kids, they do the bullshit labor you don't want to deal with.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

you use shovels pickaxes and muscle power

if your wealthy it's someone's else's, either slaves or draft animals.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

dokmo posted:

You planned on simple things being really hard and taking a long time.

It was a different pace of life. People worked from sunup to sundown getting very little accomplished, by our standards.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Also a non-trivial amount of "don't." If a rock or w/e in your field is too big, sometimes you just work around it.

For the kind of work you're talking about - clearing crap out of fields - mattocks are old as hell and extremely versatile, and picks and shovels will cover a lot of the rest of the work. It'd be hard to say how the work would be organized because the exact people doing it are among the people least likely to appear in sources, and there's almost certainly going to be significant regional variation depending on how households and villages and so on are organized. The most hardcore form of this to my mind is paddy farming, and while I've mostly seen it more-or-less contemporary contexts, the labor involved tends to be very communal.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Fire can be used as a tool, you can burn out the tree stump, or burn out the whole drat tree. It also fertilizes the land. Good in the short term, could have some long term problems if you keep going and don't stop.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

dokmo posted:

I remember reading an awesome illustrated book that had Roman era tools, and I wish I could find it. The thing I took away was that a lot of them were pretty recognizable even today, since physics haven't changed.

Traditional stump removal tools are cutter mattocks (a combination axe and adze), long bladed spades, rope and pulleys, and of course animals like mules, horses, or oxen. Like many handtools, they can be surprisingly effective when applied correctly. The difference between using a shovel and using a mattock can be night and day.

Phobophilia posted:

Fire can be used as a tool, you can burn out the tree stump, or burn out the whole drat tree. It also fertilizes the land. Good in the short term, could have some long term problems if you keep going and don't stop.

Oh yeah, fire was super useful for this sort of thing.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 18, 2021

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You can also rot out stumps if you're patient. Bore holes in it with an augur, regularly pour watered-down-manure into the holes.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tulip posted:

The most hardcore form of this to my mind is paddy farming, and while I've mostly seen it more-or-less contemporary contexts, the labor involved tends to be very communal.

Despite us modern capitalist-living folks tending to treat humans as inherently cruel, I figure we're mostly a lot more communal by nature than that assumption. I'm thinking about this in particular right now because we have a tornado warning here (we're fine) and within about two minutes of the emergency siren the neighbours texted that the ground-floor folks left the door unlocked and pets were welcome if things got bad. These are people I haven't said more than "hi" to in months.

I can imagine, even if you're beating each other in the streets for this or that patron as your day job, you know who needs to have who's back when the lovely insula you all live in catches fire and Crassus runs the fire service. That's not as directly communal as agriculture, but I do think it's a closer model to how people operate by nature than the "everything will devolve into murder and rape" thing we modern western sort of assume.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Despite us modern capitalist-living folks tending to treat humans as inherently cruel, I figure we're mostly a lot more communal by nature than that assumption. I'm thinking about this in particular right now because we have a tornado warning here (we're fine) and within about two minutes of the emergency siren the neighbours texted that the ground-floor folks left the door unlocked and pets were welcome if things got bad. These are people I haven't said more than "hi" to in months.

I can imagine, even if you're beating each other in the streets for this or that patron as your day job, you know who needs to have who's back when the lovely insula you all live in catches fire and Crassus runs the fire service. That's not as directly communal as agriculture, but I do think it's a closer model to how people operate by nature than the "everything will devolve into murder and rape" thing we modern western sort of assume.

It's fairly well understood that in disasters, at least in the short term people tend to pull together exceptionally well and the stuff you see on TV or in books is really about as far from reality as possible

...with one GLARING exception: elite panic. High-status individuals, when confronted with a disaster, tend to go Mad Max and gently caress it up for everyone else. So when a movie has an apocalypse where everybody goes "every man for himself," that isn't accurate for most of us but may be accurate for the people who produce shows and such.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

dokmo posted:

Pulleys aren't exactly a new invention:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX8I1KUpdCg

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Despite us modern capitalist-living folks tending to treat humans as inherently cruel, I figure we're mostly a lot more communal by nature than that assumption.

Well, yes. As just one example see the link:

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2014/08/human-altruism-traces-back-origins-humanity

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There's a novel, probably Russian, that uses the removal of a tree stump heavily as metaphor for the discord between two of the characters. I can't remember what it is and it's driving me nuts now.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

CoolCab posted:

fire? they didn't have dynamite or thermite but they had oils. drill some holes in, let something flammable soak in it and light er up? (total guess)

You don't need fuel, it's literally made of fuel. You'd need an oxidizer?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The orthodox method is to build a bonfire on top and let it burn down to coals. Done right everything above the ground will burn away and the coals will smoulder down into the below-ground portion and burn it away over the next couple of days. You need a nice hot fire to start the process though.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

The Lone Badger posted:

The orthodox method is to build a bonfire on top and let it burn down to coals. Done right everything above the ground will burn away and the coals will smoulder down into the below-ground portion and burn it away over the next couple of days. You need a nice hot fire to start the process though.

There's even lots of YouTube videos showing people doing this.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Thanks for all the replies. Next time I go stumping I want to try some of these methods out, just to see how long it takes before I give up.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
Progress in deciphering Linear A : https://greekreporter.com/2021/05/13/minoan-language-linear-a-linked-to-linear-b-in-groundbreaking-new-research/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Deteriorata posted:

It was a different pace of life. People worked from sunup to sundown getting very little accomplished, by our standards.

Speak for yourself, I have never accomplished anything.