Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Maxwell Lord posted:

In retrospect we're fortunate it closed so quickly that there was never a fire, otherwise people *would* have died.

Yeah there's no way a fire starts and I'm shutting myself in a closet & just hoping it works out. That plan reeks of Disney getting an exception to sane fire codes because it owns the local govt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

unfortunately this is just the trailer remastered and not a trailer for a remastered version

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
https://vimeo.com/948153160
Fun!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

feedmyleg posted:

There's a really, really excellent podcast called Going Rogue that breaks it down.

Thanks for this recommendation. I've been listening to it while working on a remodeling project all day

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The reference to a new hope is really fun hth

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

"The very first time a luxury cruise ship has ever been symbolic of the hubris of man."

I planned to parcel this out over a couple days but it was a surprisingly breezy listen for its runtime.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The payoff at the end of the jenny video is transcendent. I'm so happy!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The teardown at the end needs to circulated and played en masse so everyone and every company hears it, because what happened with the cut corners is inexcusable

Willy's Chocolate Experience with a multi-billion dollar budget and a four-figure entry fee

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it's clear that this thing died the death of a thousand cuts and every meeting ended with the executives axing a planned feature. And apparently Galaxy's Edge in general fell prey to that but at least it's not charging a three thousand minimum per person (I think, given the math Jenny did it seems like a normal visit to the park was cheaper.)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I get the feeling it's what happens when Disney's c-suite descends on a Star Wars project to overmanage it to pieces, but this time it's a theme park attraction.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

it's amazing how Disney absorbed all of American media when they're incompetent at so many types of mass entertainment.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

They keep buying new things because they hosed up the old ones, it's standard end stage capitalism

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The ending of that video is amazing, and absolutely nails why I cancelled our Disney annual passes a couple years ago. It just sucks going there now. They nickel and dime you on every single last thing, on top of the base price also costing way more than it did before, and the lines are worse than ever. It's a terrible experience.

kneelbeforezog
Nov 13, 2019

thrawn527 posted:

The ending of that video is amazing, and absolutely nails why I cancelled our Disney annual passes a couple years ago. It just sucks going there now. They nickel and dime you on every single last thing, on top of the base price also costing way more than it did before, and the lines are worse than ever. It's a terrible experience.

Instead of closing, I wonder why Disney didnt try to lower costs instead? Would it be like breaking the good faith of the guests that paid top dollar and received a less refined and more expensive experience?

Youd think they could have kept it running as it didnt seem that expensive to operate and maintain. Once youve built the structure, the rest is just food and cast member entertainment, thats the gist of it. Lower the price point and recoup that way? I guess that would hurt the image however, plus only 100 rooms, maybe the math isnt feasible. Id be interested to hear the internal numbers as well. Lots of hate on the new jenny nicholson video in the /r/galacticcruiser subreddit saying she didnt go indepth enough too to try to engage with the "experience" , or went in with an axe to grind. I dont think thats the case but most of her videos are framed to be a critique, i still err on her favor that disney did a real bad job with this,especially if the algorithim overflows experiences that have too many people into the less used storylines, totally disregarding their choices, lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I get the idea that Disney just flat out doesn't want to cater to growing demand and wants fewer customers who spend much more money. But they're also still obsessed with cutting every corner and nickelling every dime, on top of abovementioned overmanaging every major project into incoherent mush.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

kneelbeforezog posted:

Instead of closing, I wonder why Disney didnt try to lower costs instead? Would it be like breaking the good faith of the guests that paid top dollar and received a less refined and more expensive experience?

Youd think they could have kept it running as it didnt seem that expensive to operate and maintain. Once youve built the structure, the rest is just food and cast member entertainment, thats the gist of it. Lower the price point and recoup that way? I guess that would hurt the image however, plus only 100 rooms, maybe the math isnt feasible. Id be interested to hear the internal numbers as well. Lots of hate on the new jenny nicholson video in the /r/galacticcruiser subreddit saying she didnt go indepth enough too to try to engage with the "experience" , or went in with an axe to grind. I dont think thats the case but most of her videos are framed to be a critique, i still err on her favor that disney did a real bad job with this,especially if the algorithim overflows experiences that have too many people into the less used storylines, totally disregarding their choices, lol

I could see there being the issue that there's a lot of overhead that wouldn't be covered by lowering the price to the point where rooms are completely booked. It's only 100 rooms and they have to cover the cost of everything and still expect to have a decent margin. Which is pretty tiny when you consider that as a whole they have over 30000 rooms across Disney World hotels and have outside visitors as well.

Also, the change from Chapek to Iger probably had something to do with it since this seemed to be Chapek's thing since he was head of parks when it started being built and was CEO when it opened. If Chapek was still in charge, I imagine he might have kept it around a bit longer since it's more closely associated with him so it going down in flames made him look pretty bad.

Also that subreddit sounds ridiculous since she seems way more into Star Wars than most normal people. I would certainly never go to the larping hotel while pretending to be my OC Star Wars persona

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

koolkal posted:

Also that subreddit sounds ridiculous since she seems way more into Star Wars than most normal people. I would certainly never go to the larping hotel while pretending to be my OC Star Wars persona

The subreddit: "She didn't even try to get into it!"
Jenny: Literally reading Aurebesh off the walls.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
The fact that apparently you could spend day 1 doing your best to cozy up to the First Order characters and tell everyone who would listen how much you fear and distrust the resistance, and then not get the First Order storyline, seems like a colossal failure

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Zoran posted:

The fact that apparently you could spend day 1 doing your best to cozy up to the First Order characters and tell everyone who would listen how much you fear and distrust the resistance, and then not get the First Order storyline, seems like a colossal failure

One thing to keep in mind with her review is that she went pretty early on in the run, after the media/influencer trips but still early days. On the one I went to 4 months after her the first order people had absolutely no trouble cozying up with the FO Officer and they were all pretty much having a blast being lil jackboot thugs or whatever and arresting chewbacca. It could be that the actors on my cruise were just "better" either prepared or with better social awareness, or it could be that the whole thing was a work in progress and just wasn't working right when Jenny went. Thats not to absolve Disney. Her footage is immensely frustrating and if I had paid for the trip out of pocket and got a similar experience to what she went through I'd have lost my mind.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Zoran posted:

Apparently her datapad (or whatever) was bugged, her answering the texts from the First Order guy should have sent her down that path, but didn't. Thing is, there's no way to know that until some time in day 2, so it's not like she could have gone to customer service and said anything until it was too late. And other people reported having the same issue, so it's not a crazy isolated freak incident that just happened this famous YouTuber. It was "a thing".

Also, lol at booking a $6,000 immersive luxury cruise that requires you spending a huge chunk of it looking at your phone.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
THX features an explicitly fascist/totalitarian society and most of the mechanisms of state control (surveillance cameras, TV holograms, drugs and manipulation of audio) show up in star wars. I haven't seen andor but what I've heard about it seems similar to THX.

As for the star wars hotel, here's your star wars hotel: Take your kids to a run down motel in Arizona and tell them an empty dirt lot is tattooine.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
In all honesty “Pretend to be trapped on a cruise ship for two days larping as the movies everyone hates” is a legendarily bad concept from the get-go (which is the problem with Galaxies Edge as a whole to a lesser degree now that I think about it). And that’s before all the stuff about suicide booths and having to follow a Rube Goldberg machine process to be allowed to snitch Chewie out to the cops.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

You should have been able to rat him out and then get Chewbackabobs during the 2nd dinner

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
I mean plenty of large apartment buildings have a shelter-in-place policy because it is often better to wait for rescue than trying to navigate a smoke filled stairway. They usually don't require you to go into a panic closet though.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

thrawn527 posted:

Also, lol at booking a $6,000 immersive luxury cruise that requires you spending a huge chunk of it looking at your phone.

Honestly, for someone who never had any interest in doing the whole Disney Park thing* what really drove home how ludicrous it all was was the price comparison with an actual first class stay at a luxury cruise ship. If you are going to be throwing around several grand, why not get your money's worth???

* An annual pass to King's Island is like 150 bucks.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Schwarzwald posted:

Honestly, for someone who never had any interest in doing the whole Disney Park thing* what really drove home how ludicrous it all was was the price comparison with an actual first class stay at a luxury cruise ship. If you are going to be throwing around several grand, why not get your money's worth???

* An annual pass to King's Island is like 150 bucks.

Yeah, her comparison to an actual Disney cruise, where she showed how on the Disney cruise you can get a veranda, a large sitting area, a king sized bed, a table and chairs, a convertible sofa in a living room, 2 full bathrooms (one with a jacuzzi bath), and all that was crazy. I've taken a few cruises, and all of that just seems so far out of my financial reach. I usually ended up in rooms as small as the Star Wars Hotel rooms were, but for far less cost. So the comparison was nuts. The actual cruise is an insane luxury experience. The Star Wars Hotel is staying in a standard cruise room. I can't imagine spending this much money on this hotel. I know you're actually paying for all the other stuff, but cruises have other stuff, too.

And she's right, I can't imagine why they chose to make the rooms this small. They didn't need to, they could have make the place larger, it wouldn't have cost that much more, and would have gotten them better reviews. Were they really trying to replicate the, "lovely cruise ship room" feeling? It's so weird.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 20, 2024

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Redditor posted:

I also was extremely lucky that I received an inheritance to cover the cost for something I could otherwise never afford & went on to have an amazing time. If I scraped & saved & went into debt thousands of dollars to get her experience I’d be pissed.

Your money your rules I guess

Glad some people had fun, but it shouldn't be in RNGesus' hands whether or not everything works - I feel so sorry for everyone who went on the first few 'voyages' when the cast and crew probably didn't have everything 100% figured out

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

thrawn527 posted:

And she's right, I can't imagine why they chose to make the rooms this small. They didn't need to, they could have make the place larger, it wouldn't have cost that much more, and would have gotten them better reviews. Were they really trying to replicate the, "lovely cruise ship room" feeling? It's so weird.

Put together with all the other examples of cost cutting she listed, it really does sound like the result of an iterated processes of "we could do this well or we could save a buck" right until they cheaped out of actually producing a product.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Schwarzwald posted:

Put together with all the other examples of cost cutting she listed, it really does sound like the result of an iterated processes of "we could do this well or we could save a buck" right until they cheaped out of actually producing a product.

And that's why I love how she ended the video. Not just about the Star Wars Hotel, but about Disney's bullshit at the parks at large. It's become a huge problem, and I hope it bites them in the rear end. Anecdotal, but I and a bunch of people I know cancelled our passes in the past couple years because of this nonsense. I have to hope she's right and people don't go back because it's just not a good experience anymore. (It was always expensive and not great, but "worth it" for kids to have fun, but we're beyond the line at this point.) I hope they'll hit their ceiling soon, and this hotel is just the first sign.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The fascinating thing about the Star Wars Hotel is that the entire ‘hotel’ aspect was not only hugely unnecessary but a huge liability. There was genuinely no reason whatsoever* to construct a distinct isolated building instead of just putting gated VIP areas in the Star Wars Land itself.

What I mean is that everything in the Star Wars Hotel, aside from the sleeping quarters, was already virtually gated via the app - so locking people away in his distant physical structure was wholly redundant. It was trivially easy to exclude anyone from participating in the LARP activities, as Jenny unwittingly demonstrated.

This isn’t just an artistic concern, but just basic commercial sense as well. Having the LARPers and performers doing their stuff inside Star Wars Land adds production value for the regular customers (since they get to spectate at some of the activities) while also advertising to them (because they might want to join in with some of the activities). And then you could even let them join in! Why not?

By placing VIP things on-site (i.e. attaching The buffet restaurant to the existing ‘cantina’) you could let regular customers in for an extra charge. Non-LARPers would fill in unreserved seats, and the only thing they would miss is some of the broader narrative context of the dinner theatre - which was already designed to viewed out-of-context by some VIPs anyways. If anything about these VIP activities wasn’t ‘working’, or became less popular, the area could be easily opened up to regular customers or otherwise repurposed. Jenny has a good point about management cutting labour costs by automating content, introducing paywalls, etc. - but it’s not only that. They did those things incompetently.

*No reason to build the hotel, that is, unless they were just extremely invested in the base concept of the simulated spaceship cruise - i.e. a building with massive TV screens in place of windows. Did they really think that concept, alone, was the selling-point to justify both the hyper-inflated pricing and the eggs-in-one-basket financial risk?

In conclusion: any of y’all see that movie Aniara?

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 22, 2024

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
It sucks so much that Disney has apparently turned the OG FastPass, which I recall working really well, into an opportunity to monetize the rot

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

thrawn527 posted:

And that's why I love how she ended the video. Not just about the Star Wars Hotel, but about Disney's bullshit at the parks at large. It's become a huge problem, and I hope it bites them in the rear end. Anecdotal, but I and a bunch of people I know cancelled our passes in the past couple years because of this nonsense. I have to hope she's right and people don't go back because it's just not a good experience anymore. (It was always expensive and not great, but "worth it" for kids to have fun, but we're beyond the line at this point.) I hope they'll hit their ceiling soon, and this hotel is just the first sign.

I have a cousin that signs us into Disneyland once every couple of years. I would 100% NEVER EVER go for retail price. The park is way too crowded, the lines are too loving long, it's expensive as poo poo and things are broken all the time. It just sucks. I remember when I was a kid in the 80s and it was a constant wonder machine. Now it's an also-ran.

Last time we went I bought Fastpasses to do Rise of the Resistance. It broke down during the beginning of the day. It came up later and we ran over there and went on the ride. It cost 20 dollars per person or otherwise it was a 2 hour wait. It was worth it, once (seriously, great ride - but you can only ever get wow'd one time by it). It then broke down about half an hour later. All those people in line? hosed! All the people who had Fastpasses and didn't immediately run over there and take advantage of that window? hosed! And this was 100% not unusual. I found out from my cousin that the ride is internally called "the teenager" because "it's hard to wake up in the morning and frequently quits out for hours at a time". Disneyland is one of the top flagship theme park destinations in the entire world...act like it! But they've gone full Boeing over there.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Rewatching TPM in full for the first time in a while, and it's taken me this long to notice that Obi-Wan had a ponytail in addition to his Padawan braid

Also took until Rebels to notice that one of Threepio's shins was silver rather than gold (which carried over into A New Hope), so I guess I shouldn't be surprised at my lack of perception for other little details

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the hotel and the virtual immersion LARP experience... whatever should have been two different things. You need another hotel, sure, make this one kinda space themed and otherwise the same as every other hotel in the resort. Put it next to Star Wars Land if possible (not sure of the layout.) Then put more actors and such in SWL.

Absolutely part of it was getting hung up on a specific idea even as it turned out to be increasingly not a good one.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jerkface posted:

It's not really in a spot that is very visible it's kind of off to the back near employee parking by Galaxy's Edge. They apparently can't do anything with it too maintain a tax write-off so i think it will sit there until whenever that clears and then it will be changed into something else.

They’ll turn it into a dormitory for migrant workers.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Reasonably sure that the cruises are a totally different internal department at Disney to the theme parks; they may well have just lacked context for what a subpar product they were making in their attempt to steal a little bit of cruise-goer pie.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Zoran posted:

It sucks so much that Disney has apparently turned the OG FastPass, which I recall working really well, into an opportunity to monetize the rot

The Defunctland video on FastPass is a great watch. Basically a documentary.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Defunctland video on FastPass is a great watch. Basically a documentary.

Yeah I always thought it might be fun to go back to Disney World or see Disney Land as an adult but, cost aside, that video convinced me it'd be kind of a nightmare.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I was obsurdly lucky last time I went to disney. I wanted to do the rise of resistance ride, and be able to take in star wars land a lot more than I did on the trip previous.

We went like 2 days before the 50th disney anny which was right before they did that genie poo poo. We rope dropped rise of the resistance. Waited like 40 mins max. It was great. We did every ride we wanted to at the parks we wanted too. Avatar was 20 mins. The Everest one was like 10.

And we even got to ride rise once again too before we left! 45 minute loving wait!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
the explanation for everything mentioned recently is the stock market