Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Did you look into Zoom? We recently bought it where I'm at and the linux folks seem content with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Why do you run Linux on your workstations though? It's not exactly an optimal desktop OS, and it probably never will be either. If you really need native *NIX, macs are (still) better.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you're a G Suite user then Hangouts Meet claims to work on certain Linux distros:

https://support.google.com/meet/answer/7317473?hl=en

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Wibla posted:

Why do you run Linux on your workstations though? It's not exactly an optimal desktop OS, and it probably never will be either. If you really need native *NIX, macs are (still) better.

There's a ~200 person company in my area that runs Debian + OpenOffice

Sounds scary but also intriguing

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Volguus posted:

Is unbelievable how difficult it is to find some good video conferencing software on linux. One that would support screensharing would be even better. Compared to windows or macs, Linux really sucks at this. We had to use more than once Skype for android, since the skype-for-linux is still in its infancy.

Yeah, but you Linux folks pride yourselves on command line wizardry. Text chat should be good enough right? After all, who needs a GUI? :D

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
For some reason the minimize tooltip for my main browser window is stuck displaying, persisting through closing the window, closing all the windows. Closing all the programs. Logging out and back in. It's annoying as hell.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Wibla posted:

Because we need to. Our work is mainly on linux, neither macs nor windows would work for us. Now, windows can emulate linux but to go and give Microsoft a pile of money just to be able to use a windows based videoconference software ... that seems dumb.

xzzy posted:

Did you look into Zoom? We recently bought it where I'm at and the linux folks seem content with it.

I did not, will do.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Agrikk posted:

Yeah, but you Linux folks pride yourselves on command line wizardry. Text chat should be good enough right? After all, who needs a GUI? :D

Ok now I want to see a service that bridges an H.323 video call into ASCII inside an SSH session

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I have a mail flow rule to set SCL to -1 and put the email sender in the allow list under spam filter and the messages still go to junk folder in office 365. Fack.

Edit: I see a message in Outlook 2016 that says, "This message was marked for spam using a junk filter other than the Outlook Junk E-mail filter." I assume the Outlook Junk email filter just refers to the client filter and the message is still being caught by Office 365?

Coredump fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 14, 2018

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Volguus posted:

Hold on, at $28k/year isn't it cheaper to just host your own IRC server?

I wonder how many people actually have paid Khaled Mardam-Bey for the use of mIRC over the years.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Agrikk posted:

That "meme" died in 1998. Come on.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Avenging_Mikon posted:

For some reason the minimize tooltip for my main browser window is stuck displaying, persisting through closing the window, closing all the windows. Closing all the programs. Logging out and back in. It's annoying as hell.

This happens at least once a week on my surface book when docked. It's really loving annoying.

I take it as a sign that it's time to reboot and go for a short walk around the building to stretch my legs.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Volguus posted:

That "meme" died in 1998. Come on.

Memes never die. I caught myself humming badger badger yesterday.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Adjacent organization utilizing our space is still pissing me off.

I built out their network. It's perfectly secluded, gets them straight out to the internet, works great. VLAN tagging happens at the switch so no special setup with their devices, they plug in and go and can share whatever the gently caress they want inside their network. I had them set their printer to a static IP so they could always reach it on their own, no help needed. I tested their computers, phones, and printer, had it all 100%.

The very next loving day the dude emails me saying "Hey yeah I moved that printer to a different part of the office today and it doesn't work now, any ideas?"

I stated very plainly that the network was set up and fully operational, and tests were done to verify this. Any changes he makes are his responsibility and I'll be glad to put him in contact with a local MSP who will bill him hourly to fix his fuckups.

This dude will keep asking for free IT help as long as nobody tells him no. I've loving had it with him.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Dick Trauma posted:

The story of the attempt to evade software licensing restrictions continues. The software is business-critical and expensive, and is licensed on a per-user/per-pc basis. Each license must be tied to a specific user's login, no concurrent logins, and you can't install it on more than one machine at a time. I got pulled into a discussion between the COO and one of the CEO's inner circle where she asked to have it installed on a laptop so she could log in to the software and then pass it around to anyone that wanted to use it. But she framed it as a "wink-wink, nudge-nudge" sort of way, indicating that she knew what she was doing was a violation of the licensing terms.

I shut them both down, pointing out that it was my responsibility to protect the company from liability and wouldn't take an action specifically to violate a software license. The two of them continued to make jokes about how the laptop would never ever under any circumstances <WINK> be passed around like a cheap bottle of wine.

Now the issue has come up again, with the person demanding the laptop. I gave her the same response and she got angry and stomped off to the COO. Just got off of a call with him where he needed to be refreshed as to the problem. He told me to hold off, but he's a big proponent of procrastination as a problem solver.

I know this is a tempest in a tea cup. The violation is unlikely to ever be discovered. I don't even like that software company. But the cost of the licenses should've been figured into the budget. It's that simple. We MUST have it, so we MUST budget for it. If the violation was discovered we all know I would be blamed. "Dick didn't tell us. Dick said it was okay. We didn't know."

In preparation for losing this argument I have prepped my heaviest, slowest spare laptop. It's so slow it's annoying just to use Windows Explorer. If they don't like it I have several other slow laptops available.

So I just got called into the COO's office. I won't bore you with the details but he was being a jerk. Since I expect poor treatment I wasn't surprised. He started off with some dumb stuff and then moved on to the above topic, installing the software on a laptop so multiple people could use it. He was acting like I was the problem because I was resisting them.

I'm familiar with this. Every time I've taken a stand in the workplace I've become the bad guy. I've been the pain in the rear end because I wouldn't just do the thing that everyone else wanted me to do.

I told him I'd send him an email detailing why his request is a violation of the terms of the software agreement, and he could reply with the order to proceed and he agreed. He laughed when I said I was concerned about my own liability, and my reputation as an I.T. professional. He laughed.

I've come to hate people. I hate work. I hate that having any sort of morals or ethics is viewed by most people as a character flaw. You can't draw a line anywhere. The act of drawing a line and telling people "I will not cross this line" is enough to be viewed as an enemy.

I'd already prepped the laptop. It's awful and will make anyone that uses it unhappy. I look forward to their bitching and maybe they'll approve the purchase of a new laptop. That I will put on my credit card and get more points for, since they will never give me a raise!

:capitalism:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

You're ok, they're just assholes. Those are common enough that you shouldn't read too much into running into multiple assholes in a row.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

My issue is that in my life the assholes are both serial and parallel. :science:

I went and got a mocha frappuccino to see if a load of sugar and fat could help.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Dick Trauma posted:

So I just got called into the COO's office. I won't bore you with the details but he was being a jerk. Since I expect poor treatment I wasn't surprised. He started off with some dumb stuff and then moved on to the above topic, installing the software on a laptop so multiple people could use it. He was acting like I was the problem because I was resisting them.

I'm familiar with this. Every time I've taken a stand in the workplace I've become the bad guy. I've been the pain in the rear end because I wouldn't just do the thing that everyone else wanted me to do.

I told him I'd send him an email detailing why his request is a violation of the terms of the software agreement, and he could reply with the order to proceed and he agreed. He laughed when I said I was concerned about my own liability, and my reputation as an I.T. professional. He laughed.

I've come to hate people. I hate work. I hate that having any sort of morals or ethics is viewed by most people as a character flaw. You can't draw a line anywhere. The act of drawing a line and telling people "I will not cross this line" is enough to be viewed as an enemy.

I'd already prepped the laptop. It's awful and will make anyone that uses it unhappy. I look forward to their bitching and maybe they'll approve the purchase of a new laptop. That I will put on my credit card and get more points for, since they will never give me a raise!

:capitalism:

I don't want to kick you while you are down, but you really need to learn to separate your companies problems from your problems. This issue is 100% not your problem. Like not at all one bit your problem. You send an email outlining the risks, they make the decision (which again isn't your problem) and then you've covered yourself and do what the person paying you says. It's not a difficult situation, and shouldn't weigh you down. I've been through a few horrible jobs as I've chronicled, and one thing that helped me deal with it (once I started to really understand what this meant and how to apply it) was "don't make your company's problems be your problems." You also need to find another avenue to do something you enjoy so you don't let your bad job situation be the defining aspect of your life.

Also with that slow laptop business, you are just asking for more trouble later. How does this help you? It costs you nothing to do this task well, even if you don't agree with it. Stating a response like that sort of drains some sympathy out of the reactions you are going to get.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Also with that slow laptop business, you are just asking for more trouble later. How does this help you? It costs you nothing to do this task well, even if you don't agree with it. Stating a response like that sort of drains some sympathy out of the reactions you are going to get.

EDIT: UGH. Fine. I'll use one of the other laptops. I am so tired of taking the high road. You people need to let me be a prick now and then! :argh:

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 14, 2018

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
You need to do something you enjoy out of hours that lets you meet people. I've lurked this thread for awhile, even before starting my own career. Goddamn this job is poisoning you so badly.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Jerk McJerkface posted:

"don't make your company's problems be your problems." You also need to find another avenue to do something you enjoy so you don't let your bad job situation be the defining aspect of your life.

100% this.
Not caring is the only way for long term survival.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Yeah if the company wants to make awful or illegal decisions and you've done your due diligence to tell them how they're wrong, that's enough. Don't take the stress home with you, it's not worth it.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
One time a task floated to the top of the backlog to disable right-clicking on the videos we were showing so users wouldn't have such any easy way to save them. I had protested such a thing multiple times in the past because of how it's still easy to save a video, even after removing the most trivially easy way to do it. I told my PO that I'd do it, but to please let the highers-up know that I was doing it under protest. They, of course, said to do it anyway, so I committed it with the author name "Alan Smithee" and told my boss that he would have to click Merge on the pull request, because I would refuse to.

Soon got a call into the COO's office and listened to him explain for a while that they were having a hard time convincing video producers to license us their videos and he wanted to be able to say we were taking precautions against people downloading them, to try to help the pitch. I told him what I'd been saying all along: once a user can watch your video, a user can save your video and maybe we should be educating video producers about that reality, instead of giving them a false sense of security by disabling the right-click menu (and, along with it, everything else besides "Save As" it contains). The COO kept going on and on about it until I finally said, "Look, you're not going to convince me and I'm not going to convince you. It's already implemented and committed. Can I go back to work?"

He laid me off a few months later.

The moral of the story? C-levels are morons, I guess?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
After working a gov job I learned that CYA is everything. As long as it is in email and saved that you warned them of the TOS violations and someone higher up than you told you to do it - liability is on them. fuckem. I do hope that when you :yotj: that you report their TOS violation and then get a narc payment. (Microsoft and a few other companies do this)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'm now prepping a nice laptop. Going to get some chicken tenders and a bucket of fries the size of a small child.

The Iron Rose posted:

You need to do something you enjoy out of hours that lets you meet people. I've lurked this thread for awhile, even before starting my own career. Goddamn this job is poisoning you so badly.

I was poisoned long before I started this job. There isn't enough ipecac in the whole world to make me to puke up all the poison I've had to swallow over the last 50 goddamn years.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Dick Trauma posted:

EDIT: UGH. Fine. I'll use one of the other laptops. I am so tired of taking the high road. You people need to let me be a prick now and then! :argh:

Don't think of this in terms of morality. It's not an ethics question. The question is"should I do my job well?" The answer is always yes, but then when you leave for the day it stays there.

Your boss isn't going to come to your house and help you unclog your toilet, nor would they care because the company doesn't make your problems into it's problems, however if they decided to accidentally to pay you only in a pile of dimes, you'd rightfully be upset, so give them the same treatment. Do what your job expects well, but then don't take it home with you.

The Iron Rose posted:

Seriously, this is the truth. Like so many people I know that are dealing a bad situation, they let that be their entire onus, but figure out how to do something else you enjoy. If you don't have any hobbies or other interests, then I really feel sorry for you, even more so than because of the job situation.

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm now prepping a nice laptop. Going to get some chicken tenders and a bucket of fries the size of a small child.

That'll show 'em!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Giving myself heart disease to own the libs! :btroll:

EDIT: VVVVV I used to support that printer's predecessor and you knew when the heads were clogged because it would pour a glut of ink into the output tray.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 14, 2018

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Trying to fix an epson 4900 with clogged print heads. Apparently there isn't a single epson maintenance tech in the state of WA. what the gently caress. I've been sitting here working on this thing for like 2 hours now. Every cleaning cycle ends up taking 10min.

edit: going to make myself a regular task to run a print head cleaning cycle on all of these fuckers every week. I never want this to happen again. dangit.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Dick Trauma posted:

Giving myself heart disease to own the libs! :btroll:

Steal some pencils from the office and a whole ream of printer paper, even if you have enough of both at home.

In fact, especially if you have enough at home.

It will make you feel a little better, I promise. Small victories.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

spog posted:

Steal some pencils from the office and a whole ream of printer paper, even if you have enough of both at home.

In fact, especially if you have enough at home.

It will make you feel a little better, I promise. Small victories.

Steal printer paper boxes as well and make yourself a box fort.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
DT, start using your work hours to look for a new job.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

I've been looking for quite some time now.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Dick Trauma posted:

I've been looking for quite some time now.

Time to get another haircut and a new watch.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Bob Morales posted:

There's a ~200 person company in my area that runs Debian + OpenOffice

Sounds scary but also intriguing

I feel like in 2018 as long as you didn't want anything fancy (like video conferencing) and were happy to use either O365 or Google apps you could easily run a small/medium sized business on Ubuntu (or fedora, maybe?) especially if it's just a technology company.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

abigserve posted:

I feel like in 2018 as long as you didn't want anything fancy (like video conferencing) and were happy to use either O365 or Google apps you could easily run a small/medium sized business on Ubuntu (or fedora, maybe?) especially if it's just a technology company.

You could run a small business on chromebooks if you wanted to these days.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

spog posted:

Time to get another haircut and a new watch.

I am bald. :smith:

When I started searching a couple of years ago I did go out and buy a nicer watch, and recently I bought a new suit and basic dress shoes from AE.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Zil posted:

Steal printer paper boxes as well and make yourself a box fort.

I would love to hear that this is how you finally leave this job, with the phrase "Your authority is not recognized in fort kickass"

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Thanatosian posted:

That won’t work, every where DT goes people are lovely to him and are bad at their jobs. There must be a common element...

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I am always the first person to point out that I'm a permanently broken waste of space, but thanks for chiming in.

EDIT: This is the only box fort I will make.

EDIT: VVVV It keeps happening!

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Feb 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Dick Trauma posted:

I am always the first person to point out that I'm a permanently broken waste of space, but thanks for chiming in.

EDIT: This is the only box fort I will make.

This is an actual photo of DT in his cubicle after the COO walked by and taped something to the wall.