Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Spatial posted:

Are you drunk or what

What? The Doom and Quake series (except Doom 2016 and Quake 4), and Wolfenstein 3D DON'T count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Samizdata posted:

What? The Doom and Quake series (except Doom 2016 and Quake 4), and Wolfenstein 3D DON'T count?

Well, they're no Banjo Kazooie, that's for sure

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The original Doom was their best as a whole game, and its development process was a complete clusterfuck with no one even knowing what the end product was supposed to be in the beginning.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

SelenicMartian posted:

The original Doom was their best as a whole game, and its development process was a complete clusterfuck with no one even knowing what the end product was supposed to be in the beginning.

Sounds like Quake.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

XK posted:

Killing the thread with 4 posts in a row in 50 minutes (where'd all you guys go?).

Remember when a new member came in here saying he was trying to decrypt the recipe posts to figure out the secret goon communications, and then realized they were literally just recipes?

Good times.

Anyway, the thread isn't for Fyre Festival anymore. Beet, or Beer, I'd like to see "Ghost wandering internet time" get its well deserved moment as thread title.

God shitizens really are just dumb. I'd almost be glad they're wasting their money if it weren't for CIG being the entity taking that money

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

John Carmack is a programming mastermind, yet, the only reason he was able to reach such notoriety in the public consciousness is because the early to mid 90s were a very special time where an individual could write a groundbreaking graphics engine all by themselves while the rest of the team, 12 other people, handled assets and everything else. He also had crazy rear end John Romero counterbalancing his technical wizardry with all the off the wall nonsense that Romero wanted to put in the game. They achieved creativity through adversity by bouncing off each other.

If Carmack came into the industry right now, he'd be part of an engine team of a dozen people, and would maybe eventually work his way up to project lead.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

XK posted:

John Carmack is a programming mastermind, yet, the only reason he was able to reach such notoriety in the public consciousness is because the early to mid 90s were a very special time where an individual could write a groundbreaking graphics engine all by themselves while the rest of the team, 12 other people, handled assets and everything else. He also had crazy rear end John Romero counterbalancing his technical wizardry with all the off the wall nonsense that Romero wanted to put in the game. They achieved creativity through adversity by bouncing off each other.

If Carmack came into the industry right now, he'd be part of an engine team of a dozen people, and would maybe eventually work his way up to project lead.

I read somewhere once that if a type A and type B personality can work together it can be a pretty awesome combo (the B being creative/inspired/etc and the A keeping the schedule/budget/etc).

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I just want to point out that it's already been revealed, day one, that this game's CEO is a super scammy multi-level marketer. The game's designers are refugees from EQ Next, the project by a company that sold out to the russian mob after selling $100 early access packs, leaving customers holding the bag. They've already introduced a "Referral" system for this game that is a literal MLM scheme.

Naturally Lethality is super loving stoked about it. That man is a perfect weathervane for scams.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

CrazyTolradi posted:

If it brings in nearly half a billion from game sales alone, and still makes more on merchandise, 2.5 billion upfront is a pretty decent buy actually. Mojang's reported revenue in 2015 was about $485 million USD, so that's anything from a third to over a half back in two years in a 2.5 billion investment.

Yeah, Minecraft on PC peaked ages ago, but moving it to console was the smartest thing Mojang ever did.

If that $300 surface notebook can actually compete with Chromebook in the education field, their learning edition of MC will sell gangbusters.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Ah, page 1066! Soon C-Robbz will unveil Star Citizen 2: Star Citizenier, starring Arnold Schwarzenegger as StarWilliam the Space Conqueror.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

ManofManyAliases posted:

Yeah, you know, I don't owe you any figure or explanation at all. I mean, feel free to continue to ask, but :shrug:

do you still think a game is coming from this or nah

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

In a totally non-shill, non-troll response: It really isn't. When I was at Amalfi, I paid a private captain a couple hundred USD in a small group outing (8 of us total). He took us around adolfo scotto and more. We were out for about a half-day.

Not quite the same thing MoMA....

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

It's called "Ashes of Creation" because that's all that will be left after the project collapses.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

I presume someone must already have asked this but....

Why the fornication does an energy weapon have a recoil, especially recoil when nothing is "coming out" of the drat weapon?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Fidelity.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016
Ahh, I should have known better. My apologies....

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

ripptide posted:

Why the fornication does an energy weapon have a recoil, especially recoil when nothing is "coming out" of the drat weapon?

Photons have mass. :colbert:

In all seriousness I don't know if a laser pistol would have recoil or not.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

spacetoaster posted:

I read somewhere once that if a type A and type B personality can work together it can be a pretty awesome combo (the B being creative/inspired/etc and the A keeping the schedule/budget/etc).

Carmack and Romero were an amazing team. Carmack is way too up in his head, reading doctorate papers about graphics algorithms and putting them into code. Romero is too creative, wanting to do stuff like put RPG stats in the original Doom, and we all saw what he did with Daikatana.

Basically, Romero told Carmack to put a neat cool user experience in the game, and Carmack told Romero to gently caress off with irrelevant details.

Neither of them were the same without each other. Romero went off into the weeds doing whatever, and Carmack just started writing technically impressive game engines that were so cold and emotionless that everyone lost interest.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Dreams

Ashye
Jul 29, 2013

Sarsapariller posted:

I just want to point out that it's already been revealed, day one, that this game's CEO is a super scammy multi-level marketer. The game's designers are refugees from EQ Next, the project by a company that sold out to the russian mob after selling $100 early access packs, leaving customers holding the bag. They've already introduced a "Referral" system for this game that is a literal MLM scheme.

Naturally Lethality is super loving stoked about it. That man is a perfect weathervane for scams.

And derek mentioned most of those facts so now the children over in r/ds are spite pledging. Good lordy they are so special.

edit: Stop spreading FUD and hate silly goony worshiper of smart! Always trying to tear down good indie devs!

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

spacetoaster posted:

I calculated it, and it turns out that it would... if each shot had the power of a Mk 83 bomb.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Hahaha just catching up on that presentation.

"Unlimited computing power to make a universe of unlimited possibilities"

I can't stop laughing, even if he's not taking money from Amazon as a publisher, I bet he's banking plenty cheques for marketing their cloud stuff.

That title is the most loving cloud marketing line ever.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

I think Romero and Carmack really started butting heads on Quake 1. And Romero left Id after Quake 1.

Then Romero made the infamous Daikatana, which was creatively a complete mess, with too many things jammed into it that detracted from the game play.

Quake 1 to Quake 2 were so tremendously different in tone. Quake 1 had real atmosphere to it. Quake 2 basically left Carmack alone as the big dog to run the show. As much as I enjoyed Quake 2 at the time, it was basically "robot polygon lighting effects the game".

Carmack and Romero needed each other.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

The best thing Romero ever did was let Warren Spector make Deus Ex.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

These people are utterly broken.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Is this game real yet.
posting from page 911.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
They're going to spite pledge because Derek said it was bad

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

McGiggins posted:

Is this game real yet.
posting from page 911.

its real - real crappy

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Who would you list as the worst ten or twenty SC shills? (no doxxing please)

I need it for....uhm...a project...and I don't wanna miss one

tuo fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 3, 2017

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

Well, if you are going to put enough energy into a target to cause it harm, there has to be an equal and opposite reaction (barring energy loss due to friction/drag, particulate diffusion and such). This is why those scenes in movies where they shoot someone with a shotgun and they go flying five feet back are so unrealistic. If it would throw the target back several feet, that would mean the shooter would be battling roughly equal forces to keep their feet.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

TheAgent posted:

I'm pretty sure that $50m CIG got back last year was from amazon. I know derek continued to say "no no no amazon isnt partnered with them" but its looking to me like amazon is pretty much their publisher

What $ 50m?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

tuo posted:

fuzzy modem is probably categorically the "worst"

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

TheAgent posted:

I'm pretty sure that $50m CIG got back last year was from amazon. I know derek continued to say "no no no amazon isnt partnered with them" but its looking to me like amazon is pretty much their publisher

Puuuuuuubbbbllllliiiiiisssshhhheeeeeeerrrrrsssssss!!!! :argh:

Gonna be funny when Amazon gets sick of CIGs poo poo and fires Roberts then salvages something playing about of this hot mess.

Shitizens will never forgive them.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

tuo posted:

Annabelle 'Bro' Huxely
Cthulu
Confused Monkeh
Lethality
Logic Sol
Hanthos Taal
Tarkashoe
Wesha
Montoya

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

alf_pogs posted:

fuzzy modem is probably categorically the "worst"

He already has a special place in said project

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Thoatse posted:

Annabelle 'Bro' Huxely
Cthulu
Confused Monkeh
Lethality
Logic Sol
Hanthos Taal
Tarkashoe
Wesha
Montoya

Thanks, I missed three of those!

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Thoatse posted:

Annabelle 'Bro' Huxely
Cthulu
Confused Monkeh
Lethality
Logic Sol
Hanthos Taal
Tarkashoe
Wesha
Montoya
This list blows. It doesn't even have any of the r/ds locals.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
If you don't have Cymelion on your list of top crazy shills then get the gently caress out of my face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

thatguy posted:

If you don't have Cymelion on your list of top crazy shills then get the gently caress out of my face.

I have. Please gimme more :)