Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Looks like hogwarts has a pretty interesting design quirk, the bridge thingy is off by a fraction of a millimeter and you have to put bricks in compression to get it to fit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTjMu68FIpo&t=215s

ILLEGAL CONNECTIONS :supaburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

wizards have no sense of right and wrong

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Harry Potter Diagon Alley microbuild coming soon. I wonder if it will connect w/ mini modulars and bricktober sets.

Also, still waiting on mini modulars mk ii.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I regret not getting the minimodulars :smith:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
They aren't all that expensive on ebay.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

A bit of an exaggeration. It's not as big as Target/Walmart. It also depends on the location. Some have more than others. But of the 10 or so in the Bay Area and beyond that I have been to, none are as big as the big box retailers.

The B&N by me has a much better selection Target or Wal Mart. Not only do they carry everything that the latter two do, but they carry Ideas sets, architecture, minifigures (that they actually keep in stock) and a limited selection of big sets. All the Targets around me have had a dire Lego selection for at least a year and I'm not sure why. Wal Mart is better but it's just really standard issue stuff you can find in any store.

Although I live 5 minutes from a Lego Store now so the only reason I have to go to any of those places is sales and clearance deals.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The big B&N in Austin (by the Arboretum) has massively changed their downstairs around to add many more rows of games and toys and crap, they had like a couple smaller standalone shelves of lego previously (and it was a good place to grab some architecture sets on sale and with membership card discount by giving them my parents' phone #) but now there's like, 3/4 as much as your average Target. More than your shittier Wal-Marts, like a neighborhood sized one. Lots of board games, too. Kind of reminds me of how Borders was desperately reaching before they went bankrupt.

They got rid of the new arrivals SFF section, which sucks.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I stopped going to Barnes and Noble once I realized they sold everything at list price and I could get it cheaper on Amazon.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Cojawfee posted:

I stopped going to Barnes and Noble once I realized they sold everything at list price and I could get it cheaper on Amazon.

I like B&N because you can sometimes find stuff that Lego's discontinued still in stock.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I like B&N because it's an actual book store. Some of you may have heard of them but never seen one.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Davros1 posted:

I like B&N because you can sometimes find stuff that Lego's discontinued still in stock.

I went to K Mart a few months ago and they still had Ultra Agents lol.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

veni veni veni posted:

I went to K Mart a few months ago and they still had Ultra Agents lol.

The fact that you found a K Mart is impressive enough.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I like B&N because it's a nice chill store, and I can sit down and grab a coffee, and read a book, and whatnot.

I don't like B&N because they're usually quite expensive, and won't pricematch their own website. :psyduck:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

I like B&N because it's a nice chill store, and I can sit down and grab a coffee, and read a book, and whatnot.

I don't like B&N because they're usually quite expensive, and won't pricematch their own website. :psyduck:

Yeah, I hate that. It's probably just added cost of having to stock it and run a physical storefront. A book that's 18 dollars online ends up being 30 in store.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, I hate that. It's probably just added cost of having to stock it and run a physical storefront. A book that's 18 dollars online ends up being 30 in store.

But you can buy it from their site and then choose to pick it up in store. So I'm able to go online on my phone, buy the book that's in front of me on the shelf, and then bypass their register.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The_Doctor posted:

I had the exact same thing happen in store. They even had the gall to tell me I could order it online to pick up in store. Not the copy they had in store, though. That one was full price.

And so I ordered from amazon, while in the B&N.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
A guy is 3D printing a large lego technic set.

https://www.reddit.com/r/legotechnic/comments/9a0opp/some_of_you_may_want_to_see_this/

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

I had the exact same thing happen in store. They even had the gall to tell me I could order it online to pick up in store. Not the copy they had in store, though. That one was full price.

And so I ordered from amazon, while in the B&N.

But if I do order it to pick up from that store, I can get it today, which means it is that copy, so that makes no sense. I want to love you, B&N, but you make it very hard.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

YOU WOULDN’T PIRATE A (Technics) CAR

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

That's dumb, no way can 3D printed parts work as regular bricks let alone technic axles and - wait what's that in the middle there

:suspense:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The_Doctor posted:

But if I do order it to pick up from that store, I can get it today, which means it is that copy, so that makes no sense. I want to love you, B&N, but you make it very hard.

It was for ship to store. For store pickup, it was the store price. Made no sense at all. Apparently, the website and store inventory are on two different systems.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Waltzing Along posted:

It was for ship to store. For store pickup, it was the store price. Made no sense at all. Apparently, the website and store inventory are on two different systems.

how did these knuckleheads survive to be the last major bookstore chain?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Because their competition was even more unorganized.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Borders couponed themselves out of existence

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Borders couponed themselves out of existence

Amazon did it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

rickiep00h posted:

The fact that you found a K Mart is impressive enough.

It's shuttered now

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Pics of the microscale Diagon Alley.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Wow! I contacted Lego to see if they would send me a new invisibility cape for Harry CMF. I got two of them and each was pretty bent up so I thought it was worth a shot. Check out their response:

Just the salient bit:

quote:

We actually can't replace parts from any minifigure series as they come to us pre-packed. Normally we'd send you out a new blind bag, but the theme is out of stock indefinitely. Since I can't get you the part you need, nor can I send you a new blind bag, I'm sending you set 75950 Aragog's Lair and it will arrive in 3-8 working days.

I'm also adding 400 VIP points ($20).

All that because they couldn't replace a single part.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

^^^^^^ holy poo poo, that's awesome.

On the plus side, John Hurt minifig. On the downside, the actual set looks terrible.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Man, my statue of liberty mini figure was missing the tablet and they just gave me the "oh we can't replace cmf parts sorry" bit.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Took a chance on an Amazon warehouse deals UCS TIE that was $160. Just finished it and it's 100%, only thing wrong was a flattened box. Pretty fun build, not sure were to put it though as I've run out of display space.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Man, my statue of liberty mini figure was missing the tablet and they just gave me the "oh we can't replace cmf parts sorry" bit.

If the Liberty Statue set ever goes discounted I’m all over that for that Sand Green parts collection.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Finished the Hogwarts Castle ama

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Make sure you throw that bridge and its illegal connections away.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I set the hinge pieces on fire immediately after I took this picture just to be safe

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Now what are you gonna do w/ your life?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Probably finally reorganize all my lego again.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I see you're on film 8. Is that how long it took you?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

That’s the end of 7 but yeah. Also I built a little bit while my wife was watching tv and after she went to bed so I’ll say it took about all 8 movies probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dogen posted:

Finished the Hogwarts Castle ama

Where are you gonna put it