Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Where the hell do these dumb ideas keep coming from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
Just stumbled across some old photos whilst tyding up - these were taken in a church in Edinburgh that had an art exhibit. They reminded me of something...

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin
I hope Parley's sword is at least a +1. Can't hit non-corporeal beings with non-magic weapons.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Ghost touch and holy are the way to go.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It seems pretty clear that Jeanne's a homeclass variant with corporeality.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Where the hell do these dumb ideas keep coming from

Yeah I don't know what it is about this comic that attracts so many bad theories and misconceptions.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Here's where that idea came from: When Parley first begins teleporting http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=585 Jones says "and Andrew's ability might have played some part as well", and she mostly can't seem to control the destination. And then several chapters later, she figures out how to more deliberately teleport while holding Smitty http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=784 . And then there's everything Jones says on the Party Hat joke page http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=788 .

All of which can easily give the impression that Smitty's probability distortion was helping Parley control her teleportation's destination, at least while first learning. But I'd say that even if that's the case, by now she's probably practiced enough that she doesn't need to rely on any luck.

Hey, it's me, the guy who can find and link any page in ten minutes or less. Because I don't want to be one of those weirdos with wild theories about a webcomic, so every time I talk about it here I just dig through the comic and point at things I find, and now I'm a different kind of weirdo.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Nov 29, 2016

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Callin it now, Jones comes down to stop all this.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Parley was randonly teleporting onto Smitty because she would think of him randomly (because shes in looove). Her encounter with Jeanne made her realize this connecting and she figured it out. Now she can teleporting on demand and she doesn't do it randomly either, Smitty has nothing to do with it anymore.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Maybe its the power of love. Maybe it's the following:

Elgamore: "Hey Parley, git gud."
Parley: "Okay." <Vegeta-grade workouts, Goku-level teleport practice>

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Like, maybe the woman with arms thicker than a titanic German sword is just really good at combat. Elgamore does stuff that is so fast it probably blurs the lines of what is physically possible by extraordinary skill and what's possible only be magical assistance, so perhaps Bip Teleport is something totally within Parley's capacity to practice and master under tutelage.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Nov 29, 2016

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

You know, considering Jones wanted to get a bomb dropped on her, I wonder if she ever wanted to see if Jeanne could hurt her. She seems keen on knowing the limits of her invulnerability.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Jones will definitely have a moment where she intervenes to defend one of the kids, stops whatever, looks down and sees that she's stabbed through the heart/arm ripped off/etc., looks back up and says "Ah. So that is my limit."

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Oz posted:

I hope Parley's sword is at least a +1. Can't hit non-corporeal beings with non-magic weapons.

If Parley just uses Transient Curse, she'll be fine. She might consider dual-classing into DEX and STR, though. You can get faster swinging weapons that way.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Ha! I should have said something if I wanted any credit, but I really suspected that "she's too fast" thought bubble earlier was from Jeanne. She's been the POV character for a lot of this confrontation, which is a gimmick I really like.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I'm starting to think that Parley should just wield a maul.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Pommel strikes because she's bipping in too close to use the blade, :getin:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Jeanne is having a really rough day.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I'm not 100% sure that Jeanne and Jones would even be able to interact with eachother. Jones has absolutely no presence in the ether and Jeanne, while corporeal, is etheric.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Parley seems to be bonking a ghost with a sword just fine?!

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

No Parley, you have to use the pointy end.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

EvilTaytoMan posted:

No Parley, you have to use the pointy end.

Well, she does use it as an additional grip.

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Parley I'm not sure you can concuss a ghost

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I hope she twists the pommel and out comes the coyote tooth sword.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

JT Jag posted:

I'm not 100% sure that Jeanne and Jones would even be able to interact with eachother. Jones has absolutely no presence in the ether and Jeanne, while corporeal, is etheric.
Jones knew Mort, though.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Daius posted:

Parley I'm not sure you can concuss a ghost

Well, there's only one way to find out, isn't there? :getin:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, I wonder if this actually has any effect on her besides knocking her over for a moment.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
She's going to attack Smitty and George will bip in and get stabbed instead because she has no luck strings to protect her from his powers. And Smitty will be all "It should have been me".

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Splicer posted:

She's going to attack Smitty

If she thinks she's back under the effects of illusion, she might go after the elves again.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, I wonder if this actually has any effect on her besides knocking her over for a moment.

It's all a diversion.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
What's going on in the last two panels? Did Parley bip in front of Jeanne, then turn her back on her while spinning around to smash the pommel in her face? Seems like a bad idea to me but I don't actually know anything about swordfighting

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Staltran posted:

What's going on in the last two panels? Did Parley bip in front of Jeanne, then turn her back on her while spinning around to smash the pommel in her face? Seems like a bad idea to me but I don't actually know anything about swordfighting

Yes but Jeanne's blade is outside parley's blade hand so she 's fairly open to the back hand with no real way to strike back.

e; Like if you assume Parely started the spin as soon as she appeared Jeanne can't really do anything at that distance with a rapier.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Staltran posted:

She bipped in with her back already turned then swung her arm around to strike

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
I don't think parley is trying to kill Jeanne. So she can't really use her sword blade, since their goal is to free her. Although what happens if you cut up a ghost??? I don't know how fighting hate spirits works

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Meanwhile, Annie discovers that Kat's true power is more true and more powerful.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

JT Jag posted:

Jeanne was able to slice up those drones Kat sent in, so she can affect purely physical objects.

I think it'd be more of an unstopstabbing force meeting an incuttable object situation. Jones seems to have absolutely no knowledge of Jeanne though (since she didn't show up at the court until its origins were already long obscured), so it may never come up.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

cant cook creole bream posted:

Well, she does use it as an additional grip.

It's a legitimate strategy, though it's usually used to smash someone with the cross-guard instead of the pommel:

Yes, it's called the Murder-Stroke :black101:

EmmyOk posted:

Yes but Jeanne's blade is outside parley's blade hand so she 's fairly open to the back hand with no real way to strike back.

e; Like if you assume Parely started the spin as soon as she appeared Jeanne can't really do anything at that distance with a rapier.

What Jeanne could do is use her left foot to wheel away from Parley, place the rapier on something she can cut (e.g. an arm) and draw it, but then again she probably doesn't have time to; longswords are a lot faster than people give them credit for, to the point where fencing with one isn't necessarily an I-want-to-lose type of idea.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

delfin posted:

Meanwhile, Annie discovers that Kat's true power is more true and more powerful.

Hold on to your asses, assholders.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

A.o.D. posted:

Hold on to your asses, assholders.
Give me extasy! Give me Paz!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hremsfeld posted:

It's a legitimate strategy, though it's usually used to smash someone with the cross-guard instead of the pommel:

Yes, it's called the Murder-Stroke :black101:

What Jeanne could do is use her left foot to wheel away from Parley, place the rapier on something she can cut (e.g. an arm) and draw it, but then again she probably doesn't have time to; longswords are a lot faster than people give them credit for, to the point where fencing with one isn't necessarily an I-want-to-lose type of idea.

The Mordhau is a great example of something that gets super-amplified by all the other literature in the field being lost.

It's like if every cookbook except an early 1970s vaguely racist and inaccurate Canadian book on sushi were the only thing left to future chefs.