Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Havocs done for the new year!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Also posting my last mini of the year!

Black Guard of Morr

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

PRADA SLUT posted:

What should I use to store some Kingdom Death miniatures? I don't know the quantity, but they're from the 1.5 core box:

The small minis are 30mm bases, the mediums are 50, and I think I can just put the Phoenix by itself somewhere.

There's this ready-to-go foam cutout but it seems expensive and I need to use the box. Other options?

e: if this is in fact not expensive but is in alignment with other solutions, that would be good to know.

Get a deep baking tray with a lid, or scrapbooking boxes (you can find them at most arts and craft stores) with some metal or magnetic sheeting on the bottom, then glue magnets to the bottom of the bases. It's the best way in my opinion.

I bought a couple of these and some strong magnets for beneath my minis.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

None of the stores near me that stock Vallejo have any of the little bottles of Thinner Medium in stock -- but I've got a big ol' bottle of Airbrush Thinner... I guess I'll just go try it, but it should be just fine to use that for regular paints I'm brushing on instead, right? :shrug:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I think airbrush thinner is just concentrated, when I've tried it at least

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Just finished my first base - Now to figure out how to attach a big rear end knight to it

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Skails posted:

Last mini of the year :toot:
Rehabbed my old screaming skull catapult

Hell fuckin yeah :hellyeah:

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Solus posted:

Just finished my first base - Now to figure out how to attach a big rear end knight to it

Nevermind superglue worked fine lol

All the images here -> https://imgur.com/a/ZAVBgtZ

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Pinning and super glue work way better than you think.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Sab669 posted:

None of the stores near me that stock Vallejo have any of the little bottles of Thinner Medium in stock -- but I've got a big ol' bottle of Airbrush Thinner... I guess I'll just go try it, but it should be just fine to use that for regular paints I'm brushing on instead, right? :shrug:

Not sure about just thinner, but I use Vallejo airbrush flow improver for general thinning for brush use and it's goddamn magic.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
How can I fix a 3D printed miniature that snapped? I've tried Mr Hobby Cement and normal superglue but nothing seems to stick.

I even tried pinning it with superglue and a thumbtack:

But the pin got stuck in the torso and the arm just flopped off.

I'm almost at my wits end here and ready to order another figure but I've put so much work into this already. Help!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Cyanoacrylate superglue should work fine, plastic cement won't because 3D printed figures are resin and not plastic. If you used the plastic cement first there may be some lingering on the surface that's stopping your other glue from bonding, you may need to give the mini a heavy scrubdown (or a scrape with a metal tool) to get rid of it and try again.

CA Glue will take a long time to bond with the resin (potentially 5-10 minutes, 3D printer resin is usually not very porous) but you can speed the process with a commercially available accelerant or water. It can help if you apply a small amount of glue to one surface and breathe on it for 5-10 seconds or so (the moisture in your breath will start to activate the glue, add a little glue to the other side of the piece, and then attach them.

If that still doesn't work, try making a little ball of green stuff, adding glue to both sides of the piece, and squishing the ball of green stuff between them. The tackiness of the green stuff should help hold the parts together but you're looking at 24 hours of drying time after that.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
I agree, if CA glue won't stick, process the surface more. It looks like the joint surface is very small for the size of the arm.

If you've lost too much of the contact surface, look into epoxy putty. Aves is great. You can temporarily scaffold the lower arm with a huge blob of blutack so the joint isn't stressed or trying to twist away while the glue or putty is setting.

Don't underestimate just drilling thru the arm a huge pin hole and using a long pin either. 2 hrs repairing that surface is easier than dealing with a crappy broken joint like that for days trying different glues.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

On a real reptile kick recently

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Put together all of the star wars legion minis I've painted over the past 3 weeks, and a picture of my setup.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Verisimilidude posted:

Put together all of the star wars legion minis I've painted over the past 3 weeks, and a picture of my setup.

Ah ha! now we know your painting secret! It's Health-Aid kombucha, isn't it!

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Not up to the standard of you guys but I built and painted my Void Dragon.
Sorry for the lovely pic but he looks decent surrounded by the rest of my army. A certain Tau meme cannon got me motivated..

It was probably the biggest miniature I have ever painted appart from vehicles that I find boring and bigger is easier by far.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What tool do you guys use to scoop stuff out of GW texture paint pots while also having accuracy of delivery? I usually use a popsicle stick to scoop stuff out, but it's too large to use with any detail, so I get out a different tool that seems like it works generally but it's not very efficient.

On a similar note, what do you guys use for texture paints? GW texture paints seem really overpriced and I want to move away from them

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What tool do you guys use to scoop stuff out of GW texture paint pots while also having accuracy of delivery? I usually use a popsicle stick to scoop stuff out, but it's too large to use with any detail, so I get out a different tool that seems like it works generally but it's not very efficient.

On a similar note, what do you guys use for texture paints? GW texture paints seem really overpriced and I want to move away from them

Honestly the best thing is a crappy brush. You can get brushes of different sizes already, and it allows you to place textures exactly where you want them. I find it also makes me use less texture in general, get a more natural result, and it takes less time to apply since specific tools can struggle with getting around curves. I use old worn cheap brushes for exactly this purpose.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
I just use a cheap and generic paintbrush and I bought a huge jar of some sort of wet sand from army painter or whatever. Got a pint of it for 1/3rd of the price that GW have

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

Nthing a beat up or cheap brush. I also like the GW mini spatula, but I use a mix of cheaper texture products, and prime and paint them along with the model. These 3 products stay in my build kit, along with a bottle of gorilla glue (spread thin, it expands and creates random shapes to put texture paste on top of):

Mistaken For Bacon fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 1, 2022

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

I use metal toothpicks and some clay carving tools. For the gw pots give them a quick knock upside down one the table before you open it and you'll get plenty in the lid for easy extraction. As for alternatives, I'm liking the texture paste from monument hobbies.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The flat spatula in a set of clay sculpting tools is by far the most useful thing you can pick up. It does everything!

also

https://twitter.com/6SDI2pwhd4ammaA/status/1477050860400418817

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I picked up a set of silicone makeup applicators on amazon for a few bucks, they're like sculpting tools in various sizes and work great for texture paints.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Mistaken For Bacon posted:

gorilla glue (spread thin, it expands and creates random shapes to put texture paste on top of):

I'm finding the Gorilla glue I have is kind of lovely for gluing plastic to galvanized steel together, vs actual CA glue. Good to hear there's an interesting way to use it.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Seconding the Vallejo texture paints, they are so much better value than the GW stuff. I have a big tub of the Brown Earth (which I knid of wish I'd gone with the dark earth, the brown is a little on the light side for me, but it takes a wash and/or paint fine so not a big deal). I go back and forth on what I use to apply it; A brush is fine, but kind of a pain if I'm doing it on a base with a figure already attached because its easy to accidently get it on top/sides of the feet without noticing. I've used a small spatula (honestly little more than a bent flat piece of metal about 5mm wide) and that works, silicone modelling tool works (but is a little unwieldy trying to get in between feet) but the main tool I use other than a brush is a thing I got out of a christmas cracker years ago; I think its a "cuticle pusher" for your nails. I'm not clear why I'd ever need to push a cuticle if I'm honest, but its got the shallowest flat scoop shape on one end, it works surprisingly well.

Basically your best bet is probably using a brush and being careful, have a wet brush handy so you can clean off any that gets on the model. But you can apply it with drat near anything, if you have any cheap poo poo nailcare sets kicking around (or see one in a pound shop/dollar store) you might find something useful there. And if you dont at least your nails will be a little better cared for.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
In the dark future, there is only xposts:

Major Spag posted:

Beep Beep, sorry bout that jeep:

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm finding the Gorilla glue I have is kind of lovely for gluing plastic to galvanized steel together, vs actual CA glue. Good to hear there's an interesting way to use it.

Another thing I haven't tried yet but plan on when I batch up a bunch more bases: Spread gorilla glue, and dump some grit on top and press it down. Got the idea from a reptile keeper youtuber, which leads me to my next experiment I want to try: finely ground coconut husk substrate as basing material.

AK-47
Jul 10, 2001

Hey thread, just coming back into the fold of miniature painting and picking up a Thousand Sons habit. I'm guessing some in here have played around with Rub n Buff and as the TS models have a ton of gold accents I was thinking of using it and wondering if it's worth using or better looking than gold paints.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Rub and Buff is a wax based paint which can be very difficult to do accents with which is probably the opposite of what you want. If you want a good easy metallic just get some Vallejo Metal Color instead and tint it to your liking.

Note:

Not Vallejo Model Color Metallic Gold tho
Or Vallejo Game Color Metallic Gold
Or Vallejo Model Air Metallic Gold...

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Another option that I've found makes all that trim easier to handle is a gold paint pen or even a gold sharpie. The only downside is that there's way less variety of gold colors to choose from, but it still takes a wash just fine and everything.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
If you don't like the exact shade of the Metal Colour gold you can tint it with the GSW metallic pigments to get it exactly how you want.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
You can also use Liquitex Acrylic ink to tint Metal Colour

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Turns out basing is pretty fun once i stop being a wimp about it and actually print some cool stuff for it and use some unused cockpit parts from the knight kit. Tried to make it a little field mechanics thing

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Finished two minis today, what you think?

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

They look nice and clean. Maybe it's your camera setup, but I think you could go brighter with your highlights to make them really stand out.

I just got the rest of my Octarius boyz ready for the table. Just need to rim the bases once I pull the painting handles off and they're done. I should also push the white on the rokkit checks a bit more. I'll probably use oils for that

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

X-post from the 40k thread in my case.

First model of 2022 and the first one painted using a wet palette too. A project two years in the making (as in I started on friday :cheeky: ).

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. There is a good bit of glue built up at this point so I'll go at it with a hobby knife and try the putty if nothing else.

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021
Something a little easier and a palate cleanser from the other Warhammer Nurgle/Death Guard I'm painting right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Is there a Sludge, Turnip28, Blanchitsu thread or would there be any want, need or use of one?

(I keep trying to add an image but I suck at phone posting) 😕

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jan 3, 2022