Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

ThndrShk2k posted:

I don't mean this kind of ownage either

mods? mods?????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

The Nastier Nate posted:

Theresa May isn't dumb to call early elections again.

You say that now...

Serf
May 5, 2011

didn't she have like a 20 point lead when she called the last one

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

for realsies

quote:

Most of the systemic and structural issues facing black communities in the United States will require electoral politics to solve, and black Americans can’t afford to be persuaded not to vote.

This past presidential election was the first general election since 1968 to be held without the full protection of the Voting Rights Act. After the record-breaking turnout among black communities during both of Obama’s presidential elections, a decline in black voter turnout for a non-Obama ballot was to be expected. The Supreme Court’s 2013 Shelby v. Holder decision, coupled with GOP successful efforts to suppress minority voters, made it more difficult for blacks to vote in key electoral battleground states. Yet, black activists had three years to prepare for that expected decline. Black intellectual activists chose to spend much of that time fighting each other.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

ThndrShk2k posted:

Real question though: Can they own cars?

Well, their husbands can, at least...

I remember reading a piece in Time a few years ago about a mom who didn't have time to wait for their family's driver, so she hopped in their Rolls-Royce herself and drove to pick up her kids from school.

On the way she got pulled over and ticketed, but the fact that she got a ticket instead of being thrown in jail was hailed as a mark of progress.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Serf posted:

didn't she have like a 20 point lead when she called the last one

Something like that. Curiously, it turns out that even with a massive lead, when you campaign like a complete jackass and make campaign promises to the tune of "I will steal what's left of your childrens' futures," it doesn't go well when the opposition simultaneously campaigns well, with a manifesto of helping people to lead less lovely lives.

Funny how that works.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Jeeeeeeeesus loving christ

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
congrats to the perfidious Kamalabros

https://twitter.com/PoliticsReid/status/913142849746751489

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Labour still lost though. gdi.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

hooray we matter

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

http://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/352632-bernie-sanders-is-not-a-democrat-so-he-should-stop-tearing-us-apart

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

its not winner take all, right. i always forget.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
pretty much makes it impossible for a nobody to pull off any sort of early fight i think, so that kind of dumps on any non-bernie progressives :/

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

where my sexy anarchists at

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Seyser Koze posted:

Well, their husbands can, at least...

I remember reading a piece in Time a few years ago about a mom who didn't have time to wait for their family's driver, so she hopped in their Rolls-Royce herself and drove to pick up her kids from school.

On the way she got pulled over and ticketed, but the fact that she got a ticket instead of being thrown in jail was hailed as a mark of progress.

As long as the rights of Rolls Royce owners are meritocratized, Hillary can rest easy.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
all dem primaries are proportional. it's a gigantic gift to kamala if they don't move it again, which i suspect they will end up doing

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

*googles author*

http://elitedaily.com/news/politics/want-vote-republican-but-cant/1423058/

lol

quote:

I am a pro-choice, pro-gun, fiscally conservative, but socially liberal voter. I'm what some would have called a “Rockefeller Republican” in the '80s.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

[quote="“Raskolnikov38”" post="“476827924”"]
there is no way the May government doesn’t fall when it comes time to vote on brexit treaties
[/quote]

Yeah, the Brexit deal is going to be so godawful that anything can happen

Of course, what would happen after that is that the absolute boy would inherit the Tories' pile of poo poo and will have to start rebuilding foreign economic relations from scratch post-Brexit-on-steroids, and all the other countries' governments will likely not be interested in giving Labour better treatment than they gave SYRIZA.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

loquacius posted:

pretend I posted that gay black-bloc fetish comic

callipygian_antifa.jpg

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

this is the kind of person who considers the Democrats "their" party now

Ironically, giving fiscal conservatives the impression they run the party could be said to have "torn it apart" much more accurately than a guy suggesting we actually give people healthcare

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

im a narkist

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Calibanibal posted:

im a narkist

gently caress you narc :mad:

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Absolute Boy is ready for Brexit baby.

Who better to tear-up some bullshit neolib economic agreements and start anew?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

is anyone in california's life measurably better because of kamala harris because if not i don't think it'll be too big of a home state advantage

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Majorian posted:

This article is from early August, but hoooooly God.:catstare:

"How A Group Of Black Progressives Derailed Black Progress."
Suck Zone: Post-Civil Rights Era Progressive Activist Privilege

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

they're not wrong, anarchists dont spread their ideology thru argument...... but thru seduction :pervert:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Al! posted:

they're not wrong, anarchists dont spread their ideology thru argument...... but thru seduction :pervert:

It's strange how Garrison always draws Antifa protesters as hyper-toned greek gods.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Nanomashoes posted:

is anyone in california's life measurably better because of kamala harris because if not i don't think it'll be too big of a home state advantage

Many prisoners gained valuable job skills thanks to her efforts

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

anime was right posted:

its not winner take all, right. i always forget.
it's proportional. you're smarter than the chief strategist, mark penn, of hillary's 2008 campaign who thought california (or each state) in the democratic primaries were winner take all. you at least thought to ask. this contributed to hillary losing what should have been a locked up election for her
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/05/08/mark-penn-reportedly-dumb_n_100809.html

quote:

Clinton picked people for her team primarily for their loyalty to her, instead of their mastery of the game. That became abundantly clear in a strategy session last year, according to two people who were there. As aides looked over the campaign calendar, chief strategist Mark Penn confidently predicted that an early win in California would put her over the top because she would pick up all the state’s 370 delegates. It sounded smart, but as every high school civics student now knows, Penn was wrong: Democrats, unlike the Republicans, apportion their delegates according to vote totals, rather than allowing any state to award them winner-take-all. Sitting nearby, veteran Democratic insider Harold M. Ickes, who had helped write those rules, was horrified — and let Penn know it. “How can it possibly be,” Ickes asked, “that the much vaunted chief strategist doesn’t understand proportional allocation?” And yet the strategy remained the same, with the campaign making its bet on big-state victories.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

etalian posted:

It's strange how Garrison always draws Antifa protesters as hyper-toned greek gods.

i get the feeling that a lot of the nazis are really just jealous that antifa has better looking people in it

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

etalian posted:

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Al! posted:

having seduced a white supremacist before, let me tell ya its not worth the effort

punch 'em instead

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

quote:

I’d love if campaigns didn’t have to look for corporate donations, but it’s the political reality we live in, not the one we want. Maybe if we had more Democrats in office we could get rid of Citizens United and actually pass campaign finance reform. Then we could get money out of politics and get Congress back to work.
i too remember the time that democrats passed sweeping campaign finance reform the last time that the american people invested in them the power of the white house and filibuster-proof majorities in both houses of congress :thunk:

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Tiberius Christ posted:

if you come from an ivy league school then yes meritocracy is great

bill, hillary and obama were all top of the class, so they must be the best people

U can still toke hella weed in a meritocracy

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Koalas March posted:

having seduced a white supremacist before, let me tell ya its not worth the effort

punch 'em instead

punch nazis seduce normos

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

comedyblissoption posted:

i too remember the time that democrats passed sweeping campaign finance reform the last time that the american people invested in them the power of the white house and filibuster-proof majorities in both houses of congress :thunk:

yeah i can't believe dems didn't overturn citizens united before citizens united existed

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Al! posted:

punch nazis seduce normos

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Nanomashoes posted:

She's one of the more popular politicians here, no one actually knows what measurably affects their lives.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Koalas March posted:

having seduced a white supremacist before

so did you know they were a white supremacist when you seduced them or did you nazi it coming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Nanomashoes posted:

why does she need a home state advantage?

• Locked thread