Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

So I recently set up a Pi-Hole on my network and have everything configured. It's correctly blocking a test website when I navigate to it from my android phone and Windows desktops, however when I'm using a browser on my M1 Air it's seemingly ignoring it. This is happening with both Safari and Firefox (with DNS over HTTP disabled).

If I run nslookup against the same test URL I get the IP address 0.0.0.0 back correctly. My Pi-Hole is the only DNS server configured at my router, and is the only DNS server listed when I look at my network settings.

Anyone...happen to have any ideas why various apps on my Macbook are just ignoring the Pi-Hole for DNS purposes?

Is your DNS on your MacBook set to use the Pihole?

Edit: Duh, I missed where you said that. I have 2 Automator scripts that flip from using the Pi-Hole to using 1.1.1.1 so I wanted to make sure yours was using it.

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

So I recently set up a Pi-Hole on my network and have everything configured. It's correctly blocking a test website when I navigate to it from my android phone and Windows desktops, however when I'm using a browser on my M1 Air it's seemingly ignoring it. This is happening with both Safari and Firefox (with DNS over HTTP disabled).

If I run nslookup against the same test URL I get the IP address 0.0.0.0 back correctly. My Pi-Hole is the only DNS server configured at my router, and is the only DNS server listed when I look at my network settings.

Anyone...happen to have any ideas why various apps on my Macbook are just ignoring the Pi-Hole for DNS purposes?

Do you have iCloud private relay enabled?

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Mercurius posted:

Does your network and the website in question potentially have IPv6 connectivity?

My router had IPv6 disabled currently.

Silly Burrito posted:

Is your DNS on your MacBook set to use the Pihole?

Edit: Duh, I missed where you said that. I have 2 Automator scripts that flip from using the Pi-Hole to using 1.1.1.1 so I wanted to make sure yours was using it.

It isn't set on the MacBook but is set at the router level. When I view the network DNS settings it displays the correct IP address for the Pi-Hole. I am using 1.1.1.1 as the Pi-Hole's upstream DNS server though!

Frinkahedron posted:

Do you have iCloud private relay enabled?

That's an iCloud+ specific feature, right? I'm not subscribed to that so I hope not.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Are MBP 13 M2s only capable of 60hz on external monitors? That's all I'm getting here and I'm wondering if it's the laptop itself or the dongle.

You can do 4K120hz on an m1/m2 easily over DisplayPort and you can 4k120 over hdmi with the right dongle and firmware there is huge thread about it https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ssible.2381664/ .

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

It isn't set on the MacBook but is set at the router level. When I view the network DNS settings it displays the correct IP address for the Pi-Hole. I am using 1.1.1.1 as the Pi-Hole's upstream DNS server though!

Try changing it so that the Pihole has no upstream servers except itself. Here are my settings. That second screenshot is my router using the Pi-Hole as the main DNS server.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Is Little Snitch mini a good alternative to the paid app, or does it cut out too many necessary features?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I haven't used Little Snitch in ages. Lately I've been using LuLu as a firewall. It's donationware and does the same sort of thing overall...

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Quackles posted:

I haven't used Little Snitch in ages. Lately I've been using LuLu as a firewall. It's donationware and does the same sort of thing overall...

Can confirm LuLu is the poo poo

Violator
May 15, 2003

emSparkly posted:

Is Little Snitch mini a good alternative to the paid app, or does it cut out too many necessary features?

I've been running the free version for a while just to see what my traffic is. I don't really have anything I want to block so I don't miss any of the features from the main app. I may give this Lulu app a shot since I didn't know about it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Is there any merit to running these locally beyond seeing what is going where? For a server or network I get it but the notion of running a specific firewall at the personal laptop level I do not grock.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Warbird posted:

Is there any merit to running these locally beyond seeing what is going where? For a server or network I get it but the notion of running a specific firewall at the personal laptop level I do not grock.

Stop apps making connections you don't want. It can be surprising sometimes just which programs have analytics or similar.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Perplx posted:

You can do 4K120hz on an m1/m2 easily over DisplayPort and you can 4k120 over hdmi with the right dongle and firmware there is huge thread about it https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ssible.2381664/ .

thanks for this

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

Is there an iOS thread? I have multiple users who switch around multiple iPhones and some genius tried using random iCloud accounts to manage it before which has been problematic. If I get them all in school manager and added to jamf, can’t they just use text messaging instead rather than trying to keep track of unique iCloud accounts for each phone?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Budget Dracula posted:

Is there an iOS thread? I have multiple users who switch around multiple iPhones and some genius tried using random iCloud accounts to manage it before which has been problematic. If I get them all in school manager and added to jamf, can’t they just use text messaging instead rather than trying to keep track of unique iCloud accounts for each phone?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4012380

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 22, 2023

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

macOS Sonoma developer beta 6 is out, along with Monterey 12.7.

Also, macOS Ventura 13.6 is imminent, as Apple released 13.6 as a Release Candidate.

Looks like Apple is getting everything going full steam ahead OS wise as they prepare to release the M3 hounds.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

New Parallels version just came out. Seems interesting but I’m not sure it warrants upgrading. I barely use the one I gave but I’d be lying if it wasn’t giving me a bit of an itch. It would be nice to get rid of the nagging at least.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
For anyone who used my Arc invite (and anyone else who wants to feel helpful): can you please report a bug for me to get it some visibility?

Description:

With the command bar (usually: CMD+T), where if you paste in a URL and you want to use the option key + an arrow key to jump between "sections"(?), the period character in the URL is not considered a separator and so you can't easily jump to a point *within* the domain.

Use case:
For various reasons, I often work with URLs where I need to copy/manipulate a subdomain or a subdomain of a subdomain (think adding/removing "staging" from a hostname). Having to retrain myself to work through a text field in an Arc-specific way is really annoying and I always end up overshooting what I'm going for. I don't want to do that anymore.

Reproduce:

If I paste in "https://subdomain.google.com/example/url", the cursor ends up at the end of "url", but lets say I want to quickly move over and remove the "subdomain" part. In any other text editor, I would use OPTION+LEFTARROW 4 times which would put me at the period between "subdomain" and "google" and then I could hold SHIFT, do one more OPTION+LEFTARROW and have "subdomain" highlighted, and then use the DELETE key to remove it.

*ONLY* in Arc and ONLY in the command bar, does the cursor jumping go right past the entire domain and I end up having to go back. Literally every other app, and even other text-fields within Arc do it the normal way.

nexxai fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 24, 2023

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

nexxai posted:

For anyone who used my Arc invite (and anyone else who wants to feel helpful): can you please report a bug for me to get it some visibility?

Description:

With the command bar (usually: CMD+T), where if you paste in a URL and you want to use the option key + an arrow key to jump between "sections"(?), the period character in the URL is not considered a separator and so you can't easily jump to a point *within* the domain.

Use case:
For various reasons, I often work with URLs where I need to copy/manipulate a subdomain or a subdomain of a subdomain (think adding/removing "staging" from a hostname). Having to retrain myself to work through a text field in an Arc-specific way is really annoying and I always end up overshooting what I'm going for. I don't want to do that anymore.

Reproduce:

If I paste in "https://subdomain.google.com/example/url", the cursor ends up at the end of "url", but lets say I want to quickly move over and remove the "subdomain" part. In any other text editor, I would use OPTION+LEFTARROW 4 times which would put me at the period between "subdomain" and "google" and then I could hold SHIFT, do one more OPTION+LEFTARROW and have "subdomain" highlighted, and then use the DELETE key to remove it.

*ONLY* in Arc and ONLY in the command bar, does the cursor jumping go right past the entire domain and I end up having to go back. Literally every other app, and even other text-fields within Arc do it the normal way.

I’ve noticed this as well, yeah.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I have an old Microsoft USB webcam (maybe circa 2010s) and it shows up really dark in OBS. How do get at its exposure settings?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

I have an old Microsoft USB webcam (maybe circa 2010s) and it shows up really dark in OBS. How do get at its exposure settings?

I've heard good things about Camo, but some of their settings are locked behind a premium I think.

Hopefully someone has a free solution

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Did apple or any other 3rd party developers actually take advantage of Mac pros with dual(or more) GPUs(intel days). I’m assuming multi gpu is dead currently with apple silicon moving forward.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

If you hit "properties" after right-clicking on the video capture device source, it should expose a bunch of internal settings to you. There should be an additional "configure video" button in that panel.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

armpit_enjoyer posted:

If you hit "properties" after right-clicking on the video capture device source, it should expose a bunch of internal settings to you. There should be an additional "configure video" button in that panel.

I don't get that button on MacOS, had it when I used Windows. I'm running OBS 29.1.3 on an M2 Mac.

ETA: What I get in "Properties"

Papa Was A Video Toaster fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 28, 2023

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

In the Mail app, when you first start getting mails from a subscription list it offers to unsubscribe for you, but then eventually that option stops showing up. Is there a way to bring that back up via a command or something? I forgot to unsubscribe to something and I cannot find the link so hopefully the OS can do something about that.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Select the scene you want to manipulate, then the device, then choose Filters (just below the displayed video), under Effect Filters hit the +, then add a Color Correction filter.

You can adjust all the settings there.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

macOS Sonoma developer beta 6 is out, along with Monterey 12.7.

Also, macOS Ventura 13.6 is imminent, as Apple released 13.6 as a Release Candidate.

Looks like Apple is getting everything going full steam ahead OS wise as they prepare to release the M3 hounds.

jumping on the back of this

MDM admins: prepare for Platform SSO. It's going to be there day and date with Sonoma.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

In the Mail app, when you first start getting mails from a subscription list it offers to unsubscribe for you, but then eventually that option stops showing up. Is there a way to bring that back up via a command or something? I forgot to unsubscribe to something and I cannot find the link so hopefully the OS can do something about that.

I’m pretty sure it’s just scanning the email for the word “unsubscribe” or something similar and surfacing the link

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

incoherent posted:

jumping on the back of this

MDM admins: prepare for Platform SSO. It's going to be there day and date with Sonoma.

Does this finally mean AAD accounts can logon at the logon screen???

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

Does this finally mean AAD accounts can logon at the logon screen???

Yes, "without user affinity" and "just-in-time user provisioning" are coming to sonoma. passwords are stored in the secure enclave, and with that, some gotchas.

e: this will be in other MDM as well. I'm sure someone can speak to JAMF

incoherent fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 29, 2023

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The strangest thing is that the Retina 2019 iMac 27-inch has no T2 chip, yet is Sonoma compatible.

Maybe just a software fudge on this machine to simulate the Secure Enclave?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Binary Badger posted:

The strangest thing is that the Retina 2019 iMac 27-inch has no T2 chip, yet is Sonoma compatible.

Maybe just a software fudge on this machine to simulate the Secure Enclave?

The intel chip inside the 2019 has a virtual tpm partition, maybe they'll use that?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

FCKGW posted:

I’m pretty sure it’s just scanning the email for the word “unsubscribe” or something similar and surfacing the link

Ah this is a great idea. Thank you!

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

incoherent posted:

Yes, "without user affinity" and "just-in-time user provisioning" are coming to sonoma. passwords are stored in the secure enclave, and with that, some gotchas.

e: this will be in other MDM as well. I'm sure someone can speak to JAMF
I actually think most of it’s available in Ventura, it’s just taken a while for the IdP companies to finish writing their side of the Platform SSO.

I’ll take a look and see if JAMF have added the platform SSO keys to the MDM side of things but even if they haven’t it shouldn’t be too hard to add them to a custom XML.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Mercurius posted:

I actually think most of it’s available in Ventura, it’s just taken a while for the IdP companies to finish writing their side of the Platform SSO.

I’ll take a look and see if JAMF have added the platform SSO keys to the MDM side of things but even if they haven’t it shouldn’t be too hard to add them to a custom XML.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-entra-azure-ad-blog/coming-soon-platform-sso-for-macos/ba-p/3902280

Private beta only.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

I meant that the Platform SSO stuff was available in Ventura as well (not just Sonoma) more than the Intune availability.

Speaking of, the Intune stuff is weird because they’ve added the keys to GA but you can’t save the profiles unless you’re in the private preview (which we’re not at work).

Okta also has their own Platform SSO stuff working as part of FastPass now as well but I think that’s also still in private preview.

Still, it’s promising and I’m looking forward to what we can do with this stuff in the next few months.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Mercurius posted:

I meant that the Platform SSO stuff was available in Ventura as well (not just Sonoma) more than the Intune availability.

Speaking of, the Intune stuff is weird because they’ve added the keys to GA but you can’t save the profiles unless you’re in the private preview (which we’re not at work).

Okta also has their own Platform SSO stuff working as part of FastPass now as well but I think that’s also still in private preview.

Still, it’s promising and I’m looking forward to what we can do with this stuff in the next few months.

I think its less organizational complex to add the settings catalog items to everyone and just enable the feature entra id wise to the private beta testers, instead of running two distinct set of feature bits on intune.

I pray it's reliable since it uses apple bits, which given the latest code quality provided by them of late, worries me.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

SlowBloke posted:

I think its less organizational complex to add the settings catalog items to everyone and just enable the feature entra id wise to the private beta testers, instead of running two distinct set of feature bits on intune.

I pray it's reliable since it uses apple bits, which given the latest code quality provided by them of late, worries me.
I think it'll probably be okay since it's using the same stuff as the Enterprise SSO extensions and I've had that working with zero issues for ages. Honestly I'm surprised that the SSO works as well as it does given the ridiculously overcomplicated Jamf Connect (Azure AD via Okta) -> Jamf Pro -> Conditional Access -> Company Portal -> Azure AD Registration pipeline I have going on right now.

I'm going to set up and compare both Intune Platform SSO (either natively through Intune or managed by Jamf and also connected to Intune) and Okta FastPass (purely through Jamf) when they're both available so I'll check back in when I've got some more info to work with.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
What happens if a new apple silicon Mac has multiple user accounts all signed into iCloud and Find My and needs to be reset? Can any admin account reset the Mac or do all users have to sign out of iCloud/Find My even if they are non admin?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Shaocaholica posted:

What happens if a new apple silicon Mac has multiple user accounts all signed into iCloud and Find My and needs to be reset? Can any admin account reset the Mac or do all users have to sign out of iCloud/Find My even if they are non admin?

Current MacOs has a dedicated "disconnect FindMy/iCloud from the mac" button

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212749

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I’m having trouble wiping my MacBook.

Went to Settings > General > Transfer/Reset > Erase All Content/Settings

It told me it needed my AppleID password to sign me out of Find My and everything. I put it in. It did some poo poo and then it asked me for my AppleID password again but now it fails. At this point on the MacBook I’m stuck because it refuses to let me sign out of Find My.

Here’s where it’s weird:

On the MacBook itself, I’ve been fully signed out of iCloud. If I open the Find My app it asks me to log in.

On my iPhone if I open Find My the laptop is gone. If I go to my iCloud Family Sharing options it doesn’t list the MacBook as a device I own.

On the AppleID website my laptop no longer shows up under my devices list either.

So at this point I just want to nuke the entire drive and reinstall macOS. I booted into recovery mode and had it reinstall macOS but it looks like all my files and poo poo and accounts were kept as is. When it finished installing and I booted it up I was able to log into the same user account. Again, in settings it shows I’m signed out of iCloud and everything. Find My app asks me to log in as well. But when I try to erase content and settings as above it wants me to enter my AppleID to sign out of Find My. If I type in my password it tells me my AppleID has been suspended? except it hasn’t been, according to my phone and iPad.

I don’t care about anything left on the hard drive.