Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
My guess is that they are going to do a really conservative Empire at War remake with 2 factions base game and maybe another 1 or 2 dlc factions. This is because SW TW is pretty much guaranteed to sell a lot and the entire thing will let them test all the systems and mechanics they will need for 40k total war. They really, really don't want to gently caress up the launch of 40k TW, so they are going to use SW as a very safe prototype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

terrorist ambulance posted:

Did the animal type units (dire wolves, bats, etc) get a mechanical buff somewhere along the way? Wolves have always been excellent for flanking, wiping out routing units, etc but now you can just charge em directly to the front of infantry and they'll do not bad at that too, and just mulch ranged

There’s something funky going on with charges, like their doing a ton of extra damage on impact compared to how they used to be.

This can work for the player, or, as I discovered playing Markus Wulfhart going against a Mazdamundi stack with 8 units of horned ones, against the player. Extremely against the player.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Real Cool Catfish posted:

There’s something funky going on with charges, like their doing a ton of extra damage on impact compared to how they used to be.

This can work for the player, or, as I discovered playing Markus Wulfhart going against a Mazdamundi stack with 8 units of horned ones, against the player. Extremely against the player.

Makes Slaanesh daemonette summoned ability really loving powerful too

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Dramicus posted:

My guess is that they are going to do a really conservative Empire at War remake with 2 factions base game and maybe another 1 or 2 dlc factions. This is because SW TW is pretty much guaranteed to sell a lot and the entire thing will let them test all the systems and mechanics they will need for 40k total war. They really, really don't want to gently caress up the launch of 40k TW, so they are going to use SW as a very safe prototype.

Using Star Wars as a low-stakes testbed for the real poo poo, a 40K game, is kind of insane, but I guess that's where we are now

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Kazzah posted:

Using Star Wars as a low-stakes testbed for the real poo poo, a 40K game, is kind of insane, but I guess that's where we are now

Well it’s so hard to truly bomb a Star Wars game, is the theory there. The IP carries so much of the water.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Are people just making poo poo up about this being a test for 40k because it sounds like total dribble

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Yes and in fact there is a high change Total War:Star Wars is in fact also people making poo poo up aswell!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The alternative is that nothing fun ever happens and the 40k Big War video game is forever left on the table which seems really unlikely given the absolute renaissance of interest Total War pumped into the Fantasy setting. Do giant corporations leave piles of money unattended?

JBP posted:

Are people just making poo poo up about this being a test for 40k because it sounds like total dribble

All hypotheticals but if CA was given the Star Wars license then why not? Very similar settings. It's the same set of problems 40k has including a little extra to experiment with. You can't have a TW with all gun armies shooting each other! Well, how big is melee in mainstream Star Wars beyond jedi/sith and I dunno, wookie squads? Star Wars also has an enormous emphasis on ship combat. The safest way is that ships provide army support ala black arks. You tell a star destroyer to bomb an area or a squad of TIE fighters to strafe and you've got your circular heavy ordnance and your horizontal wind spells, lol.

What if they made two sets of units? When you're fighting on a planet or in a big rear end star station or city you've got the traditional infantry groups, your SEMs/vehicles, etc. Then you have an entirely separate space roster? Your big rear end capital ships are lords/heroes/SEMs and then the fighters can be groups of 20 reskinned gyrocopters. You can even forbid ships from entering melee combat unless a few are given suicide ram abilities. A separate, parallel combat space with some rule changes would be pretty fresh. :allears:

I hope CA is doing these kind of things. Putting out a cool Star Wars game for some more steady cash and proof of concepts, ironing out the kinks in the way of the 40k Total War.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 17, 2024

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Dandywalken posted:

Any Tof-heads itc?

Tof is a faction of Ork Freebooters, right? You can't have that name and not be Orks. :orks:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

JBP posted:

if people think it’s a test for 40k they’re dumb, but if this is real then it could lead to an easier time with a 40k game

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Kazzah posted:

It's not insane. To the average joe, how many factions would they expect in a Star Wars game? Empire and Rebels, or Republic and Droids, depending on which era they do. The other era could be an easy slam-dunk DLC. Star Wars is one of the only games where CA could get away with having only two factions at launch and the vast majority of potential customers wouldn't care.

Then all those people who have been and still are modding Empire at War will move over to the new SW TW and fill it full of Thrawn's revenge stuff for free. CA doesn't need to worry about Disney getting pissy over Legends because modders will do it themselves.

They'd also obviously have to figure out how to do a galactic map with planets, space battles & land battles. Star wars uses hyperlanes (space highways), meaning there are fixed paths between worlds making it a lot easier to design the space side of things for. 40k space travel is omni-directional and likely harder to do well because the AI will probably just send its poo poo all over the place.

SW space battles are roughly similar to how 40k space battles would play out, big slow capital ships exchanging broadsides while fighters zip around inbetween. 40k would add the extra complication of boarding parties, again harder to get right than just dogfights between x-wings and tie fighters. Hell, if you want to get extra cynical, there's precedent in the clone wars movies for clones and droids fighting in napoleon-style squares and just blasting away at each other. If CA wanted to be extra lazy, they could just have units do the same without seeking cover and it would technically be cannon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIe_Ge-iaBA

There's your SW TW game, rectangular blocks of clones with SEM's mixed in blasting away at rectangular blocks of droids and their SEMs. They would make money hand over fist.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
star trek, otoh

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Well at least historical fans will get a win if it’s true.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Surely star wars would be a bigger franchise catch than 40k, I doubt a SW game would be a test for 40k

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Communist Thoughts posted:

Surely star wars would be a bigger franchise catch than 40k, I doubt a SW game would be a test for 40k

It's certainly a bigger franchise outside of games, but specifically within the game space SW has mostly struggled with the occasional hit. Look at LoTR or Harry Potter, they are both probably bigger franchises than 40k, but outside 1 or 2 exceptions, they haven't done that well in the game space. A well-done 40k TW would keep CA alive for 10 years, give or take if they take a similar approach as WH fantasy, releasing 3 games with 10+ DLC per game. 40k has very long legs.

SW would only have 1 or 2 dlcs in it at most. Remember, Disney doesn't want to do any Legends content, so nothing from Thrawns revenge would be suitable for DLC. SW only has the clone wars and the galactic civil war. No one gives a poo poo about the 3rd trilogy.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Communist Thoughts posted:

This. I'm kind of baffled that some people seem to think CA would phone it in on an adaptation of one of the biggest fantasy franchises out there while using it merely as a test for a far more niche franchise that might or might not commission a game.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Star wars saga: Jar Jar's Revenge

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I just don't think if you have the rights to Star Wars and 40k that you use one IP as a testbed for the other. For one thing, you are just cannibalising your own audience, for another at least one of the IP owners is going to be pissed at you.

I'm also not sure its credible that CA have the project capacity to do, what, a historical game (Pharaoh + next), continuing TW3 support (you can reduce the team but it still needs people), a next GW game, and a Star Wars game. That's a big workload.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

CA players desire to be cannibalised

Who plays total war 1 anymore

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Also, remember: Disney really loving likes money, and hasn't shut down Star Wars: The Old Republic, which is still running along making money despite being purely Legends.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I don't see why anyone would get mad if CA makes two heavy sci fi gun heavy games and pioneers the engine work for one before doing the other. Simple linear time line there. They have to do one first and see what they can pull off. CA using Star Wars as a testbed for 40k doesn't mean they'd phone it in. It means that what is expected from a good Star Wars game is a lot less demanding then what is expected from a hypothetical of CA showing up with Total War Warhammer 40k and presenting it as their next decade long IP juggernaut, successor to TWWH1-3 and definitely not making any mistakes WH3 made, no sir. There aren't many standards for what makes a good Star Wars armies and strategies game that isn't 18 years old.

If they get some things wrong in TWSW then only the surliest grogs will care all that much as long as it's a decent game, even a 7/10 Star Wars strategy title is a rarity for these days. If 40k is anything less than a divine evolution of the series you'll be hitting the biggest hornets nest in the fanbase. And again the difference between putting out a nice TWSW with some DLCs and putting out 40k as the continuation of the TWWH DLC train.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

JBP posted:

Meesa prince and emperor

SUMMON THE SENATE button summons the Emperor

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Alchenar posted:

I just don't think if you have the rights to Star Wars and 40k that you use one IP as a testbed for the other. For one thing, you are just cannibalising your own audience, for another at least one of the IP owners is going to be pissed at you.

I'm also not sure its credible that CA have the project capacity to do, what, a historical game (Pharaoh + next), continuing TW3 support (you can reduce the team but it still needs people), a next GW game, and a Star Wars game. That's a big workload.

I don't think there would be any real cannibalization there, if anything they'd get to double-dip. The number of people who would only buy either SW or 40k is probably vanishingly small. Most would buy both. Also, remember there would probably be a gap of at least a couple years between them. If SW comes out and then 40k comes out 3-4 years after, there's no risk of cannibalization.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Cythereal posted:

Bucket of salt and all that, but the next Total War game, the one on the new engine, may have been leaked. No idea how reliable this source is.

https://twitter.com/InsiderGamingIG/status/1791426267562094804

I call bullshit. No way that CA has the ability to do two big TW games.

Also, GW isn't going to share toys. Add to the fact that it is one article compared to dozens of 40K rumors. It sounds way too much like a clickbait story.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 17, 2024

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

SirPhoebos posted:

I call bullshit. No way that CA has the ability to do two big TW games.

That's just it, SW wouldn't be big. Only two factions need doing. Think Empire at War remake.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Maybe a third faction for Shadow Collective / Hutts / Scum and Villany. Could do a few more if you're willing to go small, like Ewoks or Gungans or Pykes. But yeah definitely not a huge variety of factions

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

we’re going to get two faction groups (Republic/CIS possibly, maybe Rebels/Empire or Jedi/Sith) with some neutrals, and within the faction groups we’ll have a few sub-factions

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Dramicus posted:

That's just it, SW wouldn't be big. Only two factions need doing. Think Empire at War remake.

Disney isn't going to permit a Star Wars game to be "not big", especially when it's in direct competition with another Sci-Fi franchise. Everything a 40K game would get would have to be matched. if not exceeded.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

SirPhoebos posted:

Disney isn't going to permit a Star Wars game to be "not big", especially when it's in direct competition with another Sci-Fi franchise. Everything a 40K game would get would have to be matched. if not exceeded.

Ok, which factions aside from Empire/Rebels are they going to include? Hutts? We've never seen a Hut ship. All the designs are fan-made. A Star Wars TW has almost no potential for DLC, unless they want to start selling individual ship classes for 10 bucks or whatever.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

terrorist ambulance posted:

Did the animal type units (dire wolves, bats, etc) get a mechanical buff somewhere along the way? Wolves have always been excellent for flanking, wiping out routing units, etc but now you can just charge em directly to the front of infantry and they'll do not bad at that too, and just mulch ranged

It came with the changes they made for running units down. It seems like there was some maximum amount of entities actually attacking at a time or something iirc, and the change ended up making animals and cav way loving better.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
go on then, call mace windu a necron

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I think that's overselling Disney's interest in Star Wars as some sort of dominating force in whatever market it is in as well as whether or not they'd consider themselves in competition with 40k/GW in the first place. All that'd matter is that the Star Wars product is good on its own.

40k is still separated from popular cultural osmosis by the sheer nerd power of it. 40k and Star Wars are on different tiers.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The hilarity that people think Disney has any semblance of a standard for the IP is hilarious. They don’t give a gently caress

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Also, this would require CA to make a space combat engine, moreso than 40K. With 40K, you can at least say that land battles have been the core focus of the franchise and so it's okay to handwave space combat in some way. The same can't be said of Star Wars. So that would be a massive amount of work.

Dramicus posted:

Ok, which factions aside from Empire/Rebels are they going to include? Hutts? We've never seen a Hut ship. All the designs are fan-made. A Star Wars TW has almost no potential for DLC, unless they want to start selling individual ship classes for 10 bucks or whatever.

That may in fact be the hypothetical business model, because Disney isn't going to care about available factions. All that will be on their mind is "why does our game have less DLC than the one you made for a direct competitor?"

I think the biggest tell that this is utter nonsense is that if CA was in fact pivoting towards Disney and Star Wars, TWW3 would be dead-dead. There would be no Thrones of Decay. No patches. GW would have discontinued it's relationship and not permitted any further work on it.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

*taps mic*

Star Total Wars

Thank you thank you, I'll be here all week. Tip your waitresses

I'm in the "leak is bullshit" camp tbh

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Making licensed products isn't like dating. CA would not be forced to stop making Warhammer stuff if they contracted with Disney for a SW title. It doesn't work like that.

SirPhoebos posted:

Also, this would require CA to make a space combat engine, moreso than 40K. With 40K, you can at least say that land battles have been the core focus of the franchise and so it's okay to handwave space combat in some way. The same can't be said of Star Wars. So that would be a massive amount of work.

That's possible, but I think it would only work if the 40k title was like Soulstorm or Gladius, taking place entirely on one planet. If there was any amount of galactic conquest people would scoff at not including the Battlefleet gothic side of things.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Dramicus posted:

Making licensed products isn't like dating. CA would not be forced to stop making Warhammer stuff if they contracted with Disney for a SW title. It doesn't work like that.

There's already precedent with these two exact properties though -- Fantasy Flight Games lost the 40k tabletop license the instant they got hired by Disney to do Star Wars stuff

e: actually nvm, FFG did both properties for a few years before X-Wing started outselling 40k and GW got pissy.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 17, 2024

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
And the claim about a SW game might absolutely be BS, but CA did include SW as an option in their player interest survey a few months back. They had SW, 40k, Dune and LoTR listed among a few others.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I wanted to get a list of star wars games by year but the nerds sorted it by movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Dramicus posted:

And the claim about a SW game might absolutely be BS, but CA did include SW as an option in their player interest survey a few months back. They had SW, 40k, Dune and LoTR listed among a few others.

LOTR would be the best one. It's basically a historical game anyways, with just a whiff of magic and stuff. End of the day, a bunch of humans with spears and swords killing orcs with spears and swords is a lot more grounded than warhammer, but way less boring than a historical title.