Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I have the Rogue One Y-Wing and it’s nice, though I’d hesitate to recommend it over the new X-Wing or the U-Wing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

veni veni veni posted:

X-Wing or Y Wing

I already own both of those.

The_Doctor posted:

Actually, do you mean the U-Wing? Because that's been retired. :thunk:

Yeah I know, but its still available on Amazon for a reasonable amount.

I'll grab that one. Thought the bomber did look cool in store...

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 27, 2018

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

My one disappointment with the U-Wing is that it doesn’t come with K-2SO.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

The_Doctor posted:

My one disappointment with the U-Wing is that it doesn’t come with K-2SO.

I hate that they split up the whole main crew over almost all the sets. Lego!!! Krennic’s shuttle is a fun set tho.

Also U-Wing over Resistance Bomber for sure.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The resistance bomber is boring as gently caress. It's a good source of light grey and blue parts, that's about all I got to say about it.

The highlight is the engine greebling.

A kid would probably enjoy it more due to its bomb dropping play feature.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm not huge on the Disney SW stuff, but to me the U wing looks about 10 times cooler than the Resistance bomber, both the ship and the Lego set. And it can still be had for retail (Edit: Or less than retail) easily even though it's out of production. Buying the resistance bomber has never even crossed my mind because I think it's ugly as sin and I've occasionally considered getting the U wing while it's still affordable because it's pretty dope looking.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 27, 2018

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

One of the weirder things Rian Johnson introduces into SW was the concept of slow spaceships.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I love the B-17/24/25 look of the actual Resistance Bomber in the film, but the LEGO set is a really poor recreation. They should have done the white/red color scheme from the film instead of the grey lump we got.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

The_Doctor posted:

One of the weirder things Rian Johnson introduces into SW was the concept of slow spaceships.
Ehhhhhhhh, the original trilogy played fast and loose with ship speed anyway. The Millennium Falcoln is introduced as being able to outrun a star destroyer as though that's a huge feat, and then in every battle scene afterwards, star destroyers are big lumbering things with fighters zooming all around them.

I'm sure there's a canon explanation. I'm sure it's unbelievably boring.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

With prices being mentioned on this very page, I wanted to ask: Where would be a good place to search for a reasonably priced/shipped 21307? Best I can find is 70euro, with another 50 in shipping, which is just sad. And a 0,99 posting on ebay with 18 pounds shipping, but I doubt it will stay there

Should I look towards stuff like Facebook groups, or is it worth it to just get a parts list, and order off of something like Bricklink?

Huh, Bricklink has them for less than 100$. Hope shipping is deece

VV: It's 50 bucks for shipping, unfortunately :(

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Aug 27, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You check Amazon? Looks like it's $75 with free prime shipping in the US at least. No idea what the EU situation is.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Doesn't look like that set was as common in Europe as in North America. Strange, that.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is there a good place to find high quality scans of instructions? It seems that it's always the same low quality of the same scans on the typical sites. This is for older instructions, btw.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't think so, I was trying to find a good scan of the instructions for 6970 a ways back and every single website was offering the exact same PDF for download. Some took the time to slap a copyright notice on them but every single copy had the exact same wrinkles in the same spots.

The downloads from lego.com are better quality but they don't have every single set for some reason (oldest is 1989 and many years in the 90's only have one or two sets).

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Waltzing Along posted:

Doesn't look like that set was as common in Europe as in North America. Strange, that.

I was thinking maybe it just sold better in Europe?

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I think I need to get around and order the retired modulars from Lepin, I hate having gaps in my existing sets (all real Lego)

Tucked away in the right hand corner is the fishing shack with a bunch of ships moored, I love the way it looks besides the transition from building to shack isn't clean and I need to think of something for that.

I did build a recycling center to break up the huge wall of buildings and make the city block look more real.

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land

Slugworth posted:

Ehhhhhhhh, the original trilogy played fast and loose with ship speed anyway. The Millennium Falcoln is introduced as being able to outrun a star destroyer as though that's a huge feat, and then in every battle scene afterwards, star destroyers are big lumbering things with fighters zooming all around them.

I'm sure there's a canon explanation. I'm sure it's unbelievably boring.

Its faster in hyperspace or something, because hyperdrives that are fast are usually big or something, and the Falcon is special because it's isn't the size of an office block or something.

So, in summary; Parsecs.

The U-Wing, Tie Striker and most recent Tie Fighter are all fun builds. It's a shame main characters get split between sets, where in some cases they're utterly irrelevant, just to sell the set.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Sort of relevant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ft3vTaYbkdE

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I want the deets on his Saturn V damper.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think it's just a lead fishing weight, get a few sizes and experiment with them until you get the best effect.

If you google egg fishing sinker you'll see zillions of offerings.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I have this big open spot and I want to fill it with large tree to make it park like. Is there any sets that have a nice designed tree that would fit here nicely?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
https://brickset.com/sets/4000026-1/LEGO-House-Tree-of-Creativity

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-2358/TheRebricker/cherry-blossom-tree/#bi

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So when I moved a couple years ago, I did a dumb thing. I put all my Lego sets into a bin, all together. Some sets I had to partially disassemble to fit.

A couple days ago I dragged out that bin. Put the loose prices into a smaller bin, separated out which larger, partially assembled bits I believed belonged to which set, and started to put them back together. Two evenings later, I’m almost done putting the Mini Cooper back together. The rest—the Tumbler, Spaceship Spaceship SPACESHIP!, the VW Bus, etc... all sit in various pieces. I’m pretty sure I’ve lost a couple of the Mini’s pieces entirely.

Christ, I was a lazy idiot three years ago. Don’t do what I did. That poster (who has very similar taste in Lego) who bubble wrapped and individually packaged everything had the right idea.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Rythe posted:

I have this big open spot and I want to fill it with large tree to make it park like. Is there any sets that have a nice designed tree that would fit here nicely?

https://chrismcveigh.com/cm/building_guides_-_bonsai.html

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

that chipboard table. :|

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

I think it's just a lead fishing weight, get a few sizes and experiment with them until you get the best effect.

If you google egg fishing sinker you'll see zillions of offerings.

Yeah that looks like a 30g olive-shaped lead weight. I don't have my rocket for size reference right now but my fishing gear I just rummaged through has similar lead weights in it.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Would you want to drive a Bugatti that only goes 12 mph?

Oh it's made 100% out of Lego

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/08/30/lego-builds-life-size-driving-bugatti-chiron/

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I wanna see that thing crassssssssssh.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Feenix posted:

I wanna see that thing crassssssssssh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN_AMSlNocE

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dangit, y'all are getting me tempted to grab the U-Wing since I've been passing on it through a mixture of price & apathy, but it's still available at Canadian TRU and a bit cheaper then MSRP. I just dropped 100$ after tax on the ship-in-a-bottle.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Sounds like the UCS Snowspeeder is going "retiring soon". Get it if you want it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I didn’t realise Lego had already retired the UCS Hoth set. Didn’t that only come out last year?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well everyone hated it so no surprise it got a quick exit.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

The_Doctor posted:

I didn’t realise Lego had already retired the UCS Hoth set. Didn’t that only come out last year?

May 2016-Nov-2017 in the US.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Scipiotik posted:

Sounds like the UCS Snowspeeder is going "retiring soon". Get it if you want it.

Amazon has it on a slight discount for $189. I had been tempted for the past couple of days, but the retired soon pushed me over the edge.

It’s probably a really good thing for my wallet that the most recent UCS sets hold no interest due to their size and cost.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Been too long since I went to a LEGO store. I want about 1k worth of stuff :/

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

djfooboo posted:

Been too long since I went to a LEGO store. I want about 1k worth of stuff :/
What 2 or 3 sets caught your eye?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ElwoodCuse posted:

Would you want to drive a Bugatti that only goes 12 mph?

Oh it's made 100% out of Lego

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/08/30/lego-builds-life-size-driving-bugatti-chiron/

:wow:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The tesselations in the body are genuinely impressive.