Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

Persona 5 does this. Frozen/burned/paralyzed etc. enemies can be hit with specific attacks which gives you a damage bonus and an extra turn, but it gets rid of the status. This can be good as well, because there's also a mechanic where e.g. paralysis can get transferred from enemy to party member if you hit them physically, making it a trade-off.

These elemental statuses are also random procs off normal elemental attacks which you might do anyway, but you can build your Personas to have the status proc more often. It's p good

I dont know if it was in vanilla p5 but in royal theres a book that lets you exploit all the other status elements with elemental spells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

RandolphCarter posted:

The fact that we never got a 4e video game is such a huge bummer.

Closest thing would be the Neverwinter MMO.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cleretic posted:

This is actually something that even first-generation Pokemon tried to do, albeit... not well, because it's first-gen Pokemon. The idea for the Freeze status effect is that it gets removed by using Fire-type moves that can inflict burn, so theoretically you could use the combo of having an Ice-type inflict Freeze and then tag in a Fire-type to thaw them but inflict Burn.

But then 'being first-gen Pokemon' kicked in, and it turned out that hitting a frozen Pokemon with a Fire move was the ONLY way one would thaw. So... why would you do that, when you could instead just let them be a free kill by other means?

They eventually pulled that off a bit better with Wake-Up Slap, which is also hilarious.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Qwertycoatl posted:

I wouldn't say Dark Souls is the greatest example of status effects mattering but I like how applying a status effect deterministically builds up a bar that procs the effect when it fills. You get to see how close you are to making it happen, and you don't get the "oh it missed that was a waste of an action"

Dark Souls doesn't display status effect build up on enemies. :confused:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Philippe posted:

Odyssey might be the best game

Odyssey basically blows the rest of the series right out of the water.

I'm playing through Valhalla right now, and it's fine, but honestly it just makes me wish I was still playing Odyssey.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I like Valhalla, but I'd like it a lot more if it had came before Odyssey rather than following it up but regressing in a lot of design ideas - the skill tree and stamina system in particular. At least it had flyting.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Stamina doesn't bother me too much but goddamn is that skill tree bad and mostly a waste of my time.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Make sure when you first climb that Zeus statue, you definitely climb over his junk.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Simply Simon posted:

In many RPGs, my personal issue with status effects is one of conveyance. Does "miss" mean that the enemy is immune, or does the Sleep spell simply have bad accuracy? Does no message mean immunity or success? Especially in older games, you maybe had an indicator for Confuse (sprite turned around), but none for sleep and/or silence. Nowadays often enemy color changes, but if their Protect-yellow takes precedence over silence-green, then tough luck.

Lists of immunities and icons for each effect under their health bar are a little sterile but go a long way towards me actually wanting to experiment.

Etrian Odyssey also started listing out if an enemy was immune or not later on in the franchise, which really helps with knowing which of your tools are actually worthwhile to use. And aside from instant death, they work on bosses pretty well too. and can make fights much smoother.

There are also skills that work super well if the enemy has a certain status effect. For one, there's an archetype of skills that deals big damage, but has utterly poo poo accuracy. Quite a few status effects completely disable evasion on the enemy while also granting their main effect, guaranteeing that said attacks always hit so you get to see big numbers that way, while also making things safer for your party at the same time. Of course enemies have access to these tools as well, and if you see an enemy launch a big attack that misses your entire party, that's a warning sign that you'll be seeing said evasion disabling statuses somewhere. You and the enemies share a lot of similar tools, so you get to see just how powerful they can be when used against you as well.

Granted these games are also a lot harder than quite a few RPGs out there, so trying to brute force things with purely attacking will send you on a quick trip to the game over screen. So you could view that as another incentive to actually try out the other tools at your disposal.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

darkwasthenight posted:

Odyssey is queued up next, mostly because of this thread.
:same:

Finally 100%d Origins after having it on the backburner for 2 years just to get to Odyssey (going through the DLC now). A nice little thing is that if you do all the locations and high-level side quests first, there are more changes in the dialogue outside of that first "yeah I cleared that camp already" everyone got (none of the other camp missions react like this, they just respawn some enemies). Some missions in the same chain are also available at the same time and have different conversation based on the order you do them in

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

RandolphCarter posted:

The fact that we never got a 4e video game is such a huge bummer.

Well that’s because it’s just WoW :smuggo: 4e is the only dnd I’ve ever mechanically enjoyed but god drat does it get awkward at epic level on

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

divinity 2 handled status effects extremely well. Each status was classified as either physical or magic, and if an enemy had no physical armor/magic armor left, the status effect was guaranteed to work. If they still had any matching armor, it wouldn’t work. There was no RNG so you could plan turns around them, the effects were powerful and worthwhile, enemies who blocked status effects even when out of armor were the exception and not the rule (and most often limited to specific things like Charm on bosses), and you could see what effects an enemy was immune to ahead of time so there was no trial and error.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
"Status rear end in a top hat" is the best character class.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Speaking of the title, the Jester in Darkest Dungeon is also great at that for largely those reasons

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Casnorf posted:

"Status rear end in a top hat" is the best character class.

I like how in Trails of Cold Steel this is everyone

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The old failed mmorpg Wildstar had a neat mechanic for status effects against bosses. They had stacks of armor against stuns or whatever, and each status effect shaved off a layer until they were gone and you could land status effects. Some bosses had it as a core fight mechanic.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

The old failed mmorpg Wildstar had a neat mechanic for status effects against bosses. They had stacks of armor against stuns or whatever, and each status effect shaved off a layer until they were gone and you could land status effects. Some bosses had it as a core fight mechanic.

This is how they work in Monster Hunter. Every monster has resistance to statuses that get ebbed away when you hit them with the status, and once it's gone they get inflicted with the status. When the status wears off they get a larger amount of resistance to it, making each instance of that status effect harder and harder to pull off.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I liked how Fallout 4 gave the raiders some backstories. One in particular stands out: A raider gang takes over a brewery and begins to starve. So they kidnap the sister of a raider who has taken over a federal ration stockpiles and demands food in exchange for her safety. The raider begrudgingly accepts this but write in her records that they let their dogs piss on the food before they sent it over. The raider makes the sister writes letters to the other raider to show that she's alive. Then the sister dies and the raider holding her captive panics. He starts to write letters pretending to be the dead sister but the other raider suspects something is up and sends one of her men over to infiltrate the brewery gang and find her sister.

Then you kill both raider leaders before it gets resolved.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

City of Heroes had a version of this all the way back when it first launched. Rather than making bosses flat-out immune to CC effects, each power that caused a status effect would have a Magnitude value that determined how strong of an enemy it could effect, with enemies of increasing power from Minions to Elite Bosses and such having a corresponding threshold value. The Magnitude values of status effects of a given type like holds or sleeps would stack though, so multiple players spamming the same effect on a big target (or even one player stacking duration and cooldown reduction on the same power) could stack the total Magnitude high enough to CC a big target for as long as they could keep the total above the threshold.

It made groups with lots of Controller characters really funny.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Alhazred posted:

I liked how Fallout 4 gave the raiders some backstories. One in particular stands out: A raider gang takes over a brewery and begins to starve. So they kidnap the sister of a raider who has taken over a federal ration stockpiles and demands food in exchange for her safety. The raider begrudgingly accepts this but write in her records that they let their dogs piss on the food before they sent it over. The raider makes the sister writes letters to the other raider to show that she's alive. Then the sister dies and the raider holding her captive panics. He starts to write letters pretending to be the dead sister but the other raider suspects something is up and sends one of her men over to infiltrate the brewery gang and find her sister.

......Why not just trade Beer for Food?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Alhazred posted:

Bethesda was always way better with these little vignettes than with the actual plots

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Alhazred posted:

I'm trying to remember if that's one of the links in the chain of like 5-8 raider gangs that all notice when you kick down one of their doors and blow them all away, by way of the leaders leaving log entries on their computers.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I really like that in The Darkness there's an early scene where you're just hanging out with your girlfriend watching To Kill A Mockingbird and if you like you can watch the whole two hour movie on a tiny in-game TV.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

I really like that in The Darkness there's an early scene where you're just hanging out with your girlfriend watching To Kill A Mockingbird and if you like you can watch the whole two hour movie on a tiny in-game TV.

That's awesome, I don't even know a thing about the game but that's super fun.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

That's awesome, I don't even know a thing about the game but that's super fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mfo39WtcOg

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

So I started playing Mortal Kombat 11 on PC and there's special lighting effects for my RGB gear. It's pretty neat seeing the keyboard and ram change color depending on what character I'm playing as or if I'm waiting on the game to load.

Also, all the guest characters are awesome, it's like Smash Bros for 80s/90s action movie nerds. I can pit Robocop against Rambo or the Terminator against Spawn. Fun stuff!

wafflemoose has a new favorite as of 17:21 on Jul 7, 2021

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I’m playing Returnal more or less completely blind and I’m like three hours in and I have loved absolutely every second of it.

e: here’s an actual little thing about it, your character is literally David Bowie/Major Tom from Space Oddity but as a badass androgynous woman, right down to the trauma-induced heterochromatic eyes

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 03:14 on Jul 7, 2021

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Medal of Honour Vanguard: When a grenade explode very close to an enemy, the blast can send their body over 10 feet into the air and flip it multiple times.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Got the Ghost Armor in Ghost of Tsushima...every time I play through I swear I'm gonna do something different, but hitting that point where your build can make half the enemies poop themselves and flee in terror every time you do something cool is just too good to pass up :kiss:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I cobbled together something very similar in Shadow of War. Nothing like swooping down from above, mercilessly shanking one specific orc over and over and over, and rightfully the whole crowd around him nopes the gently caress out.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Johnny Aztec posted:

......Why not just trade Beer for Food?

They're raiders, not traders.

John Murdoch posted:

I'm trying to remember if that's one of the links in the chain of like 5-8 raider gangs that all notice when you kick down one of their doors and blow them all away, by way of the leaders leaving log entries on their computers.

In my play through the raider in the ration stockpiles notes that I killed the brewery raiders but that there was still no sign of her sister.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I came here to raiiid, not to traaaade :thejoke:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
All the talk about JRPGs reminded me of a small thing in FF7

There is a recurring set of enemies/mini-bosses called the Turks, basically hired muscle in suits. One of them, (Rude, IIRC; the bald one) has a bit of a crush on one of your party members, Tifa. If you are fighting Rude, and Tifa is in your party, he will target her less often than anyone else, and will straight up avoid hitting her unless she is the only one left standing.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

CzarChasm posted:

All the talk about JRPGs reminded me of a small thing in FF7

There is a recurring set of enemies/mini-bosses called the Turks, basically hired muscle in suits. One of them, (Rude, IIRC; the bald one) has a bit of a crush on one of your party members, Tifa. If you are fighting Rude, and Tifa is in your party, he will target her less often than anyone else, and will straight up avoid hitting her unless she is the only one left standing.

No loving way. I thought I knew pretty much all little details about this game, I never heard of this. That's hilarious.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Son of Rodney posted:

No loving way. I thought I knew pretty much all little details about this game, I never heard of this. That's hilarious.

It's better actually. Even if she is the last one standing, he will just say "..." and not act lol

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I love poo poo like that so much. :unsmith:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Reminds me of Xenogears, there is a story reason that the big bad doesn't want to hurt Elly so he never targets her. And if the other 2 characters get KO'd he will just forfeit the fight.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

It's better actually. Even if she is the last one standing, he will just say "..." and not act lol

Related bit from Yakuza Like A Dragon

There's a bit where you have to fight Kiryu, the protagonist from the rest of the series, and since he’s such a stand up dude he will not target any female party member. Which can actually make the fight harder if you have both women in your party, because if the main character is k.o.ed it’s game over.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
In Rimworld there is a transhumanist trait where pawns want to get bionics installed in them. For each bionic you'll get a positive mood that changes as you get more with variants of "I want more". Once you reach the max it simply says "I asked for this."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Would you get bionic implants or limb replacements? Discuss.