Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The next time Overwatch goes on sale, I'm going to get smurf account and only play Bastion in recon mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

As a self-heal it's pretty limited in how it can be effectively used...you can't heal and shoot, being damaged interrupts the heal which makes it less ideal when enemies are close by, so it's mainly useful for breather moments when there aren't any enemies around and at that point you might as well just have one of your own healers patch you up so you can give them ult charge. The opportune moment for Bastion's self-heal is the intersection of no enemies being nearby, none of your supports being nearby, and having no medkits in walking distance. It has the advantage of charging your ult a bit faster but yeah, compared to something like Soldier's healing field calling it a niche ability isn't some wacky out-of-left-field thing.

Fair points I guess...I don't really play comp or proper group stacks, so the whole concept of "reliable support" is a bit foreign unless I'm playing one myself :D

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Kai Tave posted:

There's always next year.

Next year, when they likely have to add new items or the players without terrible luck will play less because one of the major draws of the event is to play more for limited time items.

And if this game is set up like any other game with odds, just dilutes the odds of getting a specific rare item.

Like i get it but.

:shrug:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bolivar posted:

Fair points I guess...I don't really play comp or proper group stacks, so the whole concept of "reliable support" is a bit foreign unless I'm playing one myself :D

Even if you're playing in complete "six people playing solo" mode it's still not great since, like I said, you could always just walk to a health pack in the moments between fights. It's useless to try and save yourself when you're actually under fire which is when you'd want a self-heal the most, at which point what most Bastions pretty much wind up using it for is healing minor damage without having to change position (which kind of breeds bad habits since you kind of want to be changing position as Bastion anyway).

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

SectumSempra posted:

I literally opened 4 tonight to all blues and whites, and maybe 3 were even from the new year stuff, hell 2 were all duplicate blues.

Look at all this, it's all so lame :negative:

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

Even if you're playing in complete "six people playing solo" mode it's still not great since, like I said, you could always just walk to a health pack in the moments between fights. It's useless to try and save yourself when you're actually under fire which is when you'd want a self-heal the most, at which point what most Bastions pretty much wind up using it for is healing minor damage without having to change position (which kind of breeds bad habits since you kind of want to be changing position as Bastion anyway).

I like to just move to nearest safe place when I'm being shot, self-heal to full HP and then look for a better spot. Nearest health pack might be wherever, and might be 75 HP .
But it's not like a play a lot of Bastion (nobody does :D ).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I usually let people with self heal abilities heal themselves if they aren't on cooldown but at this point I always just go heal Bastion because at least I get something out of it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Rick posted:

I usually let people with self heal abilities heal themselves if they aren't on cooldown but at this point I always just go heal Bastion because at least I get something out of it.

When I play Zarya and we're on defense I always keep an eye on Bastion to see if he might need a shield. He's such a high priority target for the attacking team that even if he's not a great Bastion I might get a nice chunk of energy from it.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

celewign posted:

no more loot boxes, ever. spent 10$ trying to get a mei skin, any skin. didn't get a single new year skin. loot boxes are the stupidest poo poo to happen to video games, right after dlc.
Yeah I went and did something dumb and spent $10 as well. I only wanted D.Va's but instead got Mei, Winston, Symmetra. I guess I'm happy with getting Mei since I play her sometimes. Due to all the duplicate player icons and voicelines, I hit the 3k coin mark and decided to just purchase the D.Va skin. Watch next week during Arcade boxes I pull her skin out of a box. Oh well.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Broken Cog posted:

Went from a match with two people yelling at each other in German to another with a group of obviously drunk Russians singing songs over voice.

I unironically love QP on EU servers.

I actually got this on ranked. I was drunk too so me, a swede, 2 eastern euros and a german all tried singing don't stop me now by queen. We ended up singing three different songs (all by queen to *completion) while the sixth guy complained loudly that we sucked and were going to lose the game.

We won, gently caress you dude. Drunken singing overwatch best overwatch.

*completion defined as where we forgot what song we were originally singing and ended up talking about accents

I also had a match with a guy who was doing his worst aussie accent and playing the banjo whenever he died. I don't understand why EU servers are so good, but i'm happy they are.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

dogstile posted:

I actually got this on ranked. I was drunk too so me, a swede, 2 eastern euros and a german all tried singing don't stop me now by queen. We ended up singing three different songs (all by queen to *completion) while the sixth guy complained loudly that we sucked and were going to lose the game.

We won, gently caress you dude. Drunken singing overwatch best overwatch.

*completion defined as where we forgot what song we were originally singing and ended up talking about accents

I also had a match with a guy who was doing his worst aussie accent and playing the banjo whenever he died. I don't understand why EU servers are so good, but i'm happy they are.

things like this always make me happy because it is proof despite all differences people just wanna loving chill together and enjoy life.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Opened quite a few crates, but not even seen a New Year thing except a couple of sprays. Ouch.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Changing it so Bastion could heal on the movie would be such a nice change.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Macaluso posted:

Changing it so Bastion could heal on the movie would be such a nice change.

I hope it still slows him down, we were talking about this last night while speedboosting around with lucio and it'd make him nigh unkillable on the run

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I think that my favorite part about playing Mercy now is how my team always upvotes me to keep me playing Mercy even though I wasn't going to switch. And also having people ask me what the hell I'm doing reviving only one person only to eventually figure it out when they realize they're all fully healed, Reinhardt just stood back up, and the other team are the ones about to break now. :v:

I also punched out an enemy Mercy last night, and that was pretty fun too.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I guess his role would be like a pseudo-S76 who's a trump in a Rein shield battle? Recon mode's insanely giant hitbox seems like a pretty big barrier to that mode being good.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Poque posted:

Is masteroverwatch bugged out with the new update (or just in general)? It didn't record any of my games I played as Mercy last night. I didn't change heroes in any of them and they all went to completion without leavers.

I figured this out, I didn't have any kills as Mercy so when I finally got my first one, it recorded all of my prior games with her. Like a divide by zero error or something.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I like when you kill someone as mercy and she's like don't tel your friends about that.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Darth Windu posted:

I like when you kill someone as mercy and she's like don't tel your friends about that.

On defend anubis b our team was doing so hot I didn't really need to heal so I just started firing the blaster down range. I got five kills. :v:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

RBA Starblade posted:

On defend anubis b our team was doing so hot I didn't really need to heal so I just started firing the blaster down range. I got five kills. :v:

The best is when you see a widow peeking so you fire off a half dozen rounds at where her head will be and she just walks into that poo poo.

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs

Tzen posted:

Yeah I went and did something dumb and spent $10 as well. I only wanted D.Va's but instead got Mei, Winston, Symmetra. I guess I'm happy with getting Mei since I play her sometimes. Due to all the duplicate player icons and voicelines, I hit the 3k coin mark and decided to just purchase the D.Va skin. Watch next week during Arcade boxes I pull her skin out of a box. Oh well.

just let me buy the loving skin for 5$. you would get my money blizzard. you will now get 0$.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

celewign posted:

just let me buy the loving skin for 5$. you would get my money blizzard. you will now get 0$.

$0 from you but there are TONS of people (in this thread alone) who spend $50 every time an event comes around.

Seafea
Mar 21, 2003

They say it's not what life throws at you, but how you deal with it.

Darth Windu posted:

I want to get good at this game, are there any serious goons on PS4?

I'm on there as Seafea if you need a support sometime.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Seafea posted:

I'm on there as Seafea if you need a support sometime.

ILL add you when I get home tonight. I play mostly tanks and supports and I still need to do my placements. Sometimes I play mercy but I like to shoot. Thank you

Up to the Elves
Nov 4, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Hello, Overwatch player here https://www.twitch.tv/fritosesh

Up to the Elves fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jan 31, 2017

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Bolivar posted:

I like to just move to nearest safe place when I'm being shot, self-heal to full HP and then look for a better spot. Nearest health pack might be wherever, and might be 75 HP .
But it's not like a play a lot of Bastion (nobody does :D ).

I like playing Bastion, because I like the Blizzcon skin and being a robot.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

These look like they will make bastion a lot friendlier for solo queueing or carrying. Similar to how hog is good for these 2 things.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The latest patch restores Mei's waist to its rightful girth. :china:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I was wondering when that was gonna get fixed after it was confirmed as a bug.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
lol they didn't fix her rear end

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Yeah it really doesn't look fixed at all. On top of the waste still looking too thin, the butt ends up looking like it was just modeled wrong. Granted you'll only really notice it when looking at it in the hero gallery but still.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Yeah, the primary change is more to how it looks from the front. Here's her "hands on hips" pose where the waist-cinching was really obvious and kept her hands from touching her hips:

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Mei has nice a fat rear end. Who cares?

Altared State fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Feb 1, 2017

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Dp

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

celewign posted:

Kashuno posted:

$0 from you but there are TONS of people (in this thread alone) who spend $50 every time an event comes around.
Yeah, I've seen people talk during games of spending $50+ already.

So I got all my Arcade boxes. 1 legendary. Ended up being coins. Woo. - I feel that lootboxes during this event are pretty poo poo. I don't remember pulling so many player icons and voicelines during Summer/Halloween/Winter events.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Are there any hints or good guesses as to the timing of the next event? I know they announced that there's not going to be an Easter event... so what are we going to see between Chinese new year and whichever way they decide to reform the summer games event as.

Wondering if I want to spend 3000 on a Mei skin or not. It kind of depends...

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I'm just hoping for a bit of a breather, myself. I like this event better than Winter by far, but I'm really feeling event fatigue.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I'm just hoping for a bit of a breather, myself. I like this event better than Winter by far, but I'm really feeling event fatigue.

Now that there aren't really any relevant holidays in any part of the Overwatch world for a while, I guess it would be best if they would just have their next events be something completely different. Such as a spring event with all those great skin ideas that don't fit any holiday theme, and then of course bikini skins for Mei & Co. in June.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Bolivar posted:

Now that there aren't really any relevant holidays in any part of the Overwatch world for a while, I guess it would be best if they would just have their next events be something completely different. Such as a spring event with all those great skin ideas that don't fit any holiday theme, and then of course bikini skins for Reaper & Co. in June.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Bolivar posted:

Now that there aren't really any relevant holidays in any part of the Overwatch world for a while, I guess it would be best if they would just have their next events be something completely different. Such as a spring event with all those great skin ideas that don't fit any holiday theme, and then of course bikini skins for Reinhart & Bastion in June.