Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the US could try to move toward a system of public financing and electoral reform like other places in the world, but democratic policy is to keep crying about needing corporate funding to fight on an even playing field and then predictably not doing anything meaningful about this financing once they hold the reins of power

obama would not even make his scotus appointment have a litmus test of overturning citizen's united. lmao. it's quite possible he would have upheld it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

comedyblissoption posted:

the US could try to move toward a system of public financing and electoral reform like other places in the world, but democratic policy is to keep crying about needing corporate funding to fight on an even playing field and then predictably not doing anything meaningful about this financing once they hold the reins of power

obama would not even make his scotus appointment have a litmus test of overturning citizen's united. lmao. it's quite possible he would have upheld it.

obama would have given up anything as long as his ~bipartisan legacy~ was preserved

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

:q:

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

Al! posted:

obama would have given up anything as long as his ~bipartisan legacy~ was preserved

Excuse me, didn't you read the article just upthread? It's not his legacy, it's America's legacy!

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i will also remind you the democrats in their own party machine, the DNC, literally rolled back the Obama ban on donations from federal lobbyists and PACs during the primary because they felt threatened by sanders lmao. even in their own electoral primaries where the republicans have no influence and there should be no pretense of needing to compete on an even playing field with the republicans, the democrats are moving regressively on campaign finance

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Al! posted:

his bipartisan legacy is the dictatorship of the bourgeoisie same as the previous 43 fukkheads

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

i will also remind you the democrats in their own party machine, the DNC, literally rolled back the Obama ban on donations from federal lobbyists and PACs during the primary because they felt threatened by sanders lmao. even in their own electoral primaries where the republicans have no influence and there should be no pretense of needing to compete on an even playing field with the democrats, the democrats are moving regressively on campaign finance

the democraps are one wing of the capitalists united front h t h

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

i will also remind you the democrats in their own party machine, the DNC, literally rolled back the Obama ban on donations from federal lobbyists and PACs during the primary because they felt threatened by sanders lmao. even in their own electoral primaries where the republicans have no influence and there should be no pretense of needing to compete on an even playing field with the republicans, the democrats are moving regressively on campaign finance

that had nothing to do with sanders

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Concerned Citizen posted:

the contexts are entirely different post-citizens united and pre-citizens united. "the fec isn't very good at enforcement" and "public financing systems are broken" as the supreme court steadily overturned the bcra are an entirely different beast from "lol you can put a billion dollars into a presidential campaign without telling anyone, at any time, in any race." even so the democrats provided almost all the votes in 2002 to end things like the soft money loophole that allowed wealthy donors to funnel unlimited money through state parties, and constrain outside spending by pacs - even if some of those laws were mitigated by the gop's compliant fec failing to enforce the law.

if the dems would vote to end soft money in 2002, i have no idea why you'd think they wouldn't want to overturn citizens united if they could.

obama becoming the first presidential candidate of either major party to reject public financing had more to do with entrenching the broken system than any scotus ruling.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i wish obama had lost in 08

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

it did, however, have everything to do with funneling as much money as possible toward the Clinton machine

including committing outright fraud as to where the funds were going, which was nevertheless still legal because of our incredibly stupid campaign finance laws, and because it was legal it was therefore okay to do

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

even if you think it had nothing to do with sanders (lol), you'd at least have to agree that the democrats are moving backwards on campaign finance

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Over Easy posted:

I was at work all day making it work out there as many of us here do in our horrible nation and I come home only to find that the Suck Zone sucks harder and more adamantly than I ever thought conceivable. Grown as members of the leisure class who pretend to work on twitter all day got nothing better to do than snarkily harass a working man who works out there on behalf of the working person, gets my rear end hackles up

I mean poo poo, this ONLY HALF of this lovely article

one can even lead to the other!

Democrat (Not A)

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Willa Rogers posted:

Democrat (Not A)

thats the best kind!

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

to be fair, even sanders opted out of the public campaign finance system because he understands it is (intentionally) fundamentally broken

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Zoran posted:

it did, however, have everything to do with funneling as much money as possible toward the Clinton machine

including committing outright fraud as to where the funds were going, which was nevertheless still legal because of our incredibly stupid campaign finance laws, and because it was legal it was therefore okay to do

"everyone donating to it knew where the victory fund money was really going, ergo, no one was defrauded"

:downs:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Over Easy posted:

I heard that Bernie Sanders loving uses money :smuggo:

well that tears it

Bernie Sanders...

I disavow you for handling money and living in a capitalistic system with the rest of us, trapped.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

the contexts are entirely different post-citizens united and pre-citizens united. "the fec isn't very good at enforcement" and "public financing systems are broken" as the supreme court steadily overturned the bcra are an entirely different beast from "lol you can put a billion dollars into a presidential campaign without telling anyone, at any time, in any race." even so the democrats provided almost all the votes in 2002 to end things like the soft money loophole that allowed wealthy donors to funnel unlimited money through state parties, and constrain outside spending by pacs - even if some of those laws were mitigated by the gop's compliant fec failing to enforce the law.

if the dems would vote to end soft money in 2002, i have no idea why you'd think they wouldn't want to overturn citizens united if they could.

the more :words: you have to substantiate an argument the more flimsy it is

just excuses

surely the dems would have voted to end soft money only if if if

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

They'd come up with some other idea that's a bad idea, just because the current idea benefited republicans too much.

The goal isn't to not take money without being labeled as bought and be super honest
The goal is to make it so republicans can't take the money better than they can.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Koalas March posted:

it was a surprise but i should've known because homie listened to hatebreed a lot

that guy might have just been terminally stupid

quote:

Hatebreed finished up The Concrete Confessional around the time the 2016 presidential election began getting incredibly bizarre. Politically motivated in his lyrical approach, we wanted to know if Jasta perhaps wished he had waited a little longer to write the album so the weight of this election could have inspired The Concrete Confessional even more.

Jasta also spoke about environmental issues like the current Flint water crisis. “Look what’s happening in Flint. These people should go to jail. Kids are getting sick and dying. That’s the environment, that’s the water. You think that would never [happen in other places]. It could happen in other places, it probably is happening in other places and we’re gonna start seeing it.”

Jamey also spoke about the Paris attacks and the Islamophobia that affects our society. “I go play Muslim countries for so many peaceful, awesome, amazing people that love metal and hardcore music,” Jasta says. “They love it and we want to keep that line of communication open. We want to keep learning about other cultures and being accepting and we want to smash racism and get rid of all this divisiveness that hurts what we’re trying to do.”

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Lastgirl posted:

well that tears it

Bernie Sanders...

I disavow you for handling money and living in a capitalistic system with the rest of us, trapped.

In a capitalist society, to have a coin in the hand is to have a golden drop of that society itself. Look deeply into that coin, as you might with a crystal ball, and behind its golden luster, which has stopped many an eye, you discover the blood and sweat of the class struggle.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Willa Rogers posted:

why can't these idiots come up with new talking points?

I think it's because they're idiots? :shrug:

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the dnc repealing the obama era rules effectively enabled huge donations by the wealthy to enter the hillary victory fund via the dnc which were then used to fund hillary's campaign with millions of dollars to fight a primary battle against sanders

maybe you could argue that the original intent was for the general because the dnc believed there would be no meaningful primary challenger, but that does not change the fact that the repeal of obama era campaign financing rules were used to fight against sanders in the dnc's own primary with no excuse of needing a level playing field against republicans

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I think it's because they're idiots? :shrug:

They don't really need to. Anything works as long as you yell loud enough, and keep doubling down on it.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Bip Roberts posted:

there are other problems with it and it’s dumb but the basic point that Trump is bad for all women (and men) isn’t that spicy of a thing to say

on the other hand, accusing disadvantaged groups of being traitorous because they didn't vote for whichever candidate the establishment put forward for them is pretty lovely

it implies that individual members of those groups aren't capable of determining on their own what their interests are or who suits them best, and suggests that they're at fault for ignoring the establishment's recommendations

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Lastgirl posted:

the more :words: you have to substantiate an argument the more flimsy it is

just excuses

surely the dems would have voted to end soft money only if if if

They did do that

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the DNC and obama bent over backwards to nominate tom perez as dnc chair who then explicitly had a vote to continue the repeal of the obama campaign financing ban on corrupt donations to the dnc

the democrats had a wiffle ball to easily hit out of the park to show they care even a little bit about corrupt campaign financing and they go backwards. cc still somehow wants you to believe that democrats aren't ok with corrupt campaign financing despite every shred of evidence to the contrary

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

the dnc repealing the obama era rules effectively enabled huge donations by the wealthy to enter the hillary victory fund via the dnc which were then used to fund hillary's campaign with millions of dollars to fight a primary battle against sanders

maybe you could argue that the original intent was for the general because the dnc believed there would be no meaningful primary challenger, but that does not change the fact that the repeal of obama era campaign financing rules were used to fight against sanders in the dnc's own primary with no excuse of needing a level playing field against republicans

You're fundamentally wrong - HVF funds were not used on Sanders, they were only legally spendable in the general election.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

the DNC and obama bent over backwards to nominate tom perez as dnc chair who then explicitly had a vote to continue the repeal of the obama campaign financing ban on corrupt donations to the dnc

Ellison promised to do the exact same thing (put it up for a vote that would fail). Admittedly he flip flopped on that - he originally wanted to ban it before reversing.

Concerned Citizen has issued a correction as of 00:30 on Sep 28, 2017

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bernie outraised and outspent Hillary in multiple states that he lost

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

consolidating the mother of all datacenters here, jack. can't fret over every corporate donation.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

You're fundamentally wrong - HVF funds were not used on Sanders, they were only legally spendable in the general election.

:raise:

From these large amounts of money being transferred from state coffers to the Hillary Victory Fund in Washington, the Clinton campaign got the first $2,700, the DNC was to get the next $33,400, and the remainder was to be split among the 33 signatory states. With this scheme, the Hillary Victory Fund raised over $26 million for the Clinton Campaign by the end of 2015.

The money was either transferred to the Hillary for America or Forward Hillary PACs and spent directly on the Hillary Clinton Campaign, often paying the salaries and expenses within those groups, or it was moved into the DNC or another Clinton PAC.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Willa Rogers posted:

:raise:

From these large amounts of money being transferred from state coffers to the Hillary Victory Fund in Washington, the Clinton campaign got the first $2,700, the DNC was to get the next $33,400, and the remainder was to be split among the 33 signatory states. With this scheme, the Hillary Victory Fund raised over $26 million for the Clinton Campaign by the end of 2015.

The money was either transferred to the Hillary for America or Forward Hillary PACs and spent directly on the Hillary Clinton Campaign, often paying the salaries and expenses within those groups, or it was moved into the DNC or another Clinton PAC.

No poo poo. But that $26 million for the Clinton Campaign was earmarked for the general. That's why the Clinton campaign got the first 2700 instead of the first 5200.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

the democrats had a wiffle ball to easily hit out of the park to show they care even a little bit about corrupt campaign financing and they go backwards. cc still somehow wants you to believe that democrats aren't ok with corrupt campaign financing despite every shred of evidence to the contrary

the democrats are not part of the revolution ffs why would u ever think theyd be good

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

which staffers were paid by the end of 2015 by the HVF but whose activities were segregated to the general election?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Al! posted:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

on the other hand, accusing disadvantaged groups of being traitorous because they didn't vote for whichever candidate the establishment put forward for them is pretty lovely

it implies that individual members of those groups aren't capable of determining on their own what their interests are or who suits them best, and suggests that they're at fault for ignoring the establishment's recommendations

oh yeah it's dump but people keep on posting these mild takes with bad tone/optics and melt down about them for pages

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Al! posted:

eh the rest of us all lost so its a wash :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I'm glad that obama won in 2008 bc he turned most of an entire generation into Dem (Not A) in 8 short years. :)

• Locked thread