Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lucien
May 2, 2007

check it out i'm a samurai ^_^

Twlight posted:

I just did something like this. It's best to take the output of date into a variable.

Why is that better? I believe you, I just want to improve my scripting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

Lucien posted:

Why is that better? I believe you, I just want to improve my scripting.

primarily for readability.

generally when you want to be able to look at a code and read it straight through, It's better a long rear end path/command you'll use repeatedly and placing it in a smaller variable (like making /usr/local/etc/stuff/etc.conf $etc).

I'd show examples of code I've written, but I'd get shanked for showing it in here.

Lucien
May 2, 2007

check it out i'm a samurai ^_^

Ashex posted:

primarily for readability.

Oh ok, I was just being lazy there since it's like 3 lines of code. I thought Twilight was suggesting that putting commands in graves might be bad practice or something.

Shazzner, assuming you're running Gnome you can additionally put this code in your ~/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts/ folder for right-click convenience:
code:
for uri in $NAUTILUS_SCRIPT_SELECTED_URIS; do
YOURSCRIPTNAME $uri
done

Lucien fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Sep 12, 2008

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

rugbert posted:

Has anyone used the balance program?

I have a web server thats going down when its drudged and I think it would be cool if I could build a load balancer for more than a thousand dollars less than buying one.
I've used it. For what it is, it works great.
However it's a bit of a security/management problem. Since it's a simple TCP proxy, it can't rewrite HTML or TCP headers, and so you can't use any stats gathering or other log monitoring software if you're using it.

Balance-NG is a much better option, tho it's not free if you have more than 2 nodes to balance.

The Linux-HA project requires more admin overhead and possibly a network redesign, but once it's working, it's your best option for software load balancing.

Shazzner
Feb 9, 2004

HAPPY GAMES ONLY

Lucien posted:

Oh ok, I was just being lazy there since it's like 3 lines of code. I thought Twilight was suggesting that putting commands in graves might be bad practice or something.

Shazzner, assuming you're running Gnome you can additionally put this code in your ~/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts/ folder for right-click convenience:
code:
for uri in $NAUTILUS_SCRIPT_SELECTED_URIS; do
YOURSCRIPTNAME $uri
done

Excellent! Thanks for your help guys. :)

Korthing
Oct 23, 2006

Congratulations on never getting fit!

chryst posted:

However it's a bit of a security/management problem. Since it's a simple TCP proxy, it can't rewrite HTML or TCP headers, and so you can't use any stats gathering or other log monitoring software if you're using it.

Balance-NG is a much better option, tho it's not free if you have more than 2 nodes to balance.

The Linux-HA project requires more admin overhead and possibly a network redesign, but once it's working, it's your best option for software load balancing.

Seconding this, ipvsadm and ldirectord are a solid combination. We use that setup at my job (in conjuction with hearbeat for loadbalancer failover) to loadbalance out all of our critical services like LDAP and DNS, and aside from a few hiccups, its worked out to be pretty solid.

It can be fairly complicated to setup though, especially compared to "balance".

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

chryst posted:

Cool thanks, Ill look into the Linux-HA. Tho if balance will handle a traffic surge from digg or drudge every so often then Ill stick with that. Right now the server has nothing at all.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Having a bit of a Linux problem, hope someone here can help me.

Got an Acer Aspire One running ubuntu with a Kensington bluetooth usb adapter. Been using a Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000. For a long while, it's been working perfectly. I tried a custom kernel and it stopped working. I'm back on the stock ubuntu kernel, but now it just doesn't work with my mouse.

I've used the bluetooth to tether to my phone, so it is working fine, and I paired the mouse with another computer and it works fine. For some reason, the combonation of the laptop bluetooth and the mouse just refuses to work. I've removed the pairing and re-added it, and I've rebooted in between just to make completely sure. Input service is most definitely running. I don't have any other bluetooth mice to test so I guess it's possible the input service got hosed up somehow?

Does anyone have any ideas, or know of any kinda thing I can do to troubleshoot this?

Edit: I got this half working using hcid.conf and hidd --search.

EVGA Longoria fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 13, 2008

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
For as long as I've been dual booting into Linux, I've been partitioning my main (physical) disk into relatively small Windows (NTFS) and Linux (ext3) partitions and one large data (FAT32) partition. I did this because I wanted to be able to access my data from either OS, and at the time I started Linux's NTFS support was weak (I believe it was read only, as writes had a high probability of corrupting your data). However recently it seems possible to mount, read, and write NTFS partitions under Linux. Would I be okay with making my data partition NTFS (comedy option: ext3 with the Windows ext2 driver) or should I stick with my FATtiness for now?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Sister Miyagi posted:

For as long as I've been dual booting into Linux, I've been partitioning my main (physical) disk into relatively small Windows (NTFS) and Linux (ext3) partitions and one large data (FAT32) partition. I did this because I wanted to be able to access my data from either OS, and at the time I started Linux's NTFS support was weak (I believe it was read only, as writes had a high probability of corrupting your data). However recently it seems possible to mount, read, and write NTFS partitions under Linux. Would I be okay with making my data partition NTFS (comedy option: ext3 with the Windows ext2 driver) or should I stick with my FATtiness for now?

NTFS-3G is the Linux driver for NTFS, right? Does it work any better than under MacFUSE? It can be slow as hell under OSX.

What I'd say is, if you've got everything already laid out with that 3 partition thing, stick with it until you format, then switch over to NTFS.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Sister Miyagi posted:

My ex used NTFS under linux and she had some problems with files using special characters (Å, Ä, Ö) not showing up when she mounted the drive in linux. Other than that, it seemed to work nice.

Personally though, I'd use EXT3 for the Data partition, and use the windows EXT2 driver to mount it. I've never had any problems with that setup.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Zom Aur posted:

My ex used NTFS under linux and she had some problems with files using special characters (Å, Ä, Ö) not showing up when she mounted the drive in linux. Other than that, it seemed to work nice.

Mounting with locale=en_US.utf8 fixes this.

Something on Mac makes NTFS-3G perform terribly (it doesn't cache blocks or something), but performance on Linux is adequate. It's a bit slower and more cpu-intensive than a native filesystem like ext3 or xfs, but not by much.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
Some issue with the shared mmap support made me put off having a NTFS partition as my main storage for my rTorrent stuff. I heard this will be fixed by the kernel inside the next release of Ubuntu. In the meantime, I just reformatted to ext3.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Can't find the old Vim thread, and need some Vim help, figure this is the next best place (someone let me know if I should make a new Vim thread).

I'm editing a texty-type file (i.e. paragraphs, not code) and have things set up to visually-wrap only, and it works great. It also autoindents great when I make bulleted lists. However, it does not preserve the autoindent for stuff that is soft-wrapped, so I get stuff that looks like this:
code:
* Foo
* Bar
    * Baz
    * Biz
    * Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Mauris eget ligula
in massa fermentum dapibus. Mauris arcu. Vivamus malesuada facilisis eros.
Praesent quis libero at tellus viverra facilisis. Nullam bibendum sollicitudin
est. Ut sagittis nisi vel pede.
where I want it to look more like this:
code:
* Foo
* Bar
    * Baz
    * Biz
    * Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Mauris eget ligula
      in massa fermentum dapibus. Mauris arcu. Vivamus malesuada facilisis eros.
      Praesent quis libero at tellus viverra facilisis. Nullam bibendum
      sollicitudin est. Ut sagittis nisi vel pede.
or at least something resembling an indent and not going all the way back to the left margin.

Again, this is visual only, in "reality" each paragraph is still just one line. Thus the autoformat behavior (e.g. gq) won't cut it because that actually inserts hard linebreaks, AFAIK.

I can't seem to find a setting that will control indent behavior for visually-wrapped text like this, and Google's no help since there's a lot of other random junk concerned with the words wrap, visual and indent :( Help?

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete

Sister Miyagi posted:

Although you can pretty much r/w with NTFS in linux now no problem, I still do exactly what you do, with a ntfs partition for winxp, ext3 for ubuntu, and a giant fat32 that they can both easily use.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Is there a way to move Wine's c drive to somewhere other than my home directory? I had a seperate partition I was planning on using for that but I don't know what configuration files or whatever that I would need to change if I just copied the entire c drive folder to another partition. E: I tried just adding another drive but some stuff gives me bizarre errors if it's not in C

Also, are there any recommendations on the best way to back up my system in case I mess something up?

Fortuitous Bumble fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Sep 14, 2008

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

Is there a way to move Wine's c drive to somewhere other than my home directory? I had a seperate partition I was planning on using for that but I don't know what configuration files or whatever that I would need to change if I just copied the entire c drive folder to another partition. E: I tried just adding another drive but some stuff gives me bizarre errors if it's not in C

Also, are there any recommendations on the best way to back up my system in case I mess something up?

just do a symbolic link that redirects ~/.wine/drive_c/ to somewhere else

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Scaevolus posted:

Mounting with locale=en_US.utf8 fixes this.

Something on Mac makes NTFS-3G perform terribly (it doesn't cache blocks or something), but performance on Linux is adequate. It's a bit slower and more cpu-intensive than a native filesystem like ext3 or xfs, but not by much.
We tried, didn't work. We later tried with ISO-8859-1 (Which is the ISO code for swedish characters) but it didn't work neither.

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Yet beyond each tree there are only more trees.

Zom Aur posted:

We tried, didn't work. We later tried with ISO-8859-1 (Which is the ISO code for swedish characters) but it didn't work neither.

It's probably formatted to use a windows-specific code page (which is a stupid thing to do in this day and age). You should be able to figure out the code page in Windows somewhere (drive properties? I dunno) and then Google should be able to tell you the equivalent Linux name of that page.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I have the following line in the rc.local file of my linux router:

ntop -b -c -g -n -z -d -L -i "eth0"

When I look at the webpage ntop serves, sticky hosts and local only (-c and -g) aren't in effect. If I kill ntop and restart it with the above line, then I get the proper settings. Any idea how to get it going properly on startup?

Also, any way, short of sticking another NIC in the computer, of not having the traffic from files served from this machine show up in ntop? If I'm serving a bunch of stuff from the router, I don't want it messing up my Internet usage stats.

edit: VVV - Ah, thanks, I didn't even think about trying to filter it out on the webpage. Was just focusing on getting ntop to ignore it completely.

edit 2: arg. Power outage and ntop started again without sticky hosts and local only. I have no idea why this is happening! Anyone? Is there any reason rc.local shouldn't work? I guess next I'll try taking it out of rc.local and see if something else is starting it up? I don't see why anything would be though.

odiv fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Sep 16, 2008

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

odiv posted:

I have the following line in the rc.local file of my linux router:

ntop -b -c -g -n -z -d -L -i "eth0"

When I look at the webpage ntop serves, sticky hosts and local only (-c and -g) aren't in effect. If I kill ntop and restart it with the above line, then I get the proper settings. Any idea how to get it going properly on startup?

Also, any way, short of sticking another NIC in the computer, of not having the traffic from files served from this machine show up in ntop? If I'm serving a bunch of stuff from the router, I don't want it messing up my Internet usage stats.

There are ways to filter what gets reported: you can choose at least what port you don't want to see. I believe that it's under the admin section.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
Has anyone had the problem where gparted-live simply doesnt work? I was able to use it to resize my disk space from 250 gigs to 80, but when I choose apply changes, and it runs the the motions it doesnt actually do anything. it claims operations ran successfully but I still have that 250gig partition and nothing else.

also - how many OSs can I boot to? Ive seen people triple boot, but if I wanted 2 linux distros, osx, and vista all on one computer, could I do that?

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete

rugbert posted:

Has anyone had the problem where gparted-live simply doesnt work? I was able to use it to resize my disk space from 250 gigs to 80, but when I choose apply changes, and it runs the the motions it doesnt actually do anything. it claims operations ran successfully but I still have that 250gig partition and nothing else.

also - how many OSs can I boot to? Ive seen people triple boot, but if I wanted 2 linux distros, osx, and vista all on one computer, could I do that?

There might actually be a limit (16? # of partitions possible on a single drive), but anything less than 5 is very easy, and you could get more with virtual machines.

But yes, you can definitely triple boot. The key generally is to install windows first.

P.S. - OSX doesn't run on most normal PC's.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Casao posted:

NTFS-3G is the Linux driver for NTFS, right? Does it work any better than under MacFUSE? It can be slow as hell under OSX.

What I'd say is, if you've got everything already laid out with that 3 partition thing, stick with it until you format, then switch over to NTFS.

Using the ext2 driver to mount an ext3 partition is actually a terrible idea. You're basically accessing files and modifying files without updating the journal, so when the partition is ready for checking, it will freak out and crap its pants.

I've had this happen on multiple occasions, so if I need something, I put it on the ntfs drive.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well
Cross posting from my HAUS post:

me posted:

Hey guys

Installed Ubuntu the other day...my internet ran fine for a short time but now it simply will not connect to the internet. However, inside an XP Virtual Machine, there is a network connection with no issues. :confused:

I ran the hardware test and when it got to my onboard NVIDIA NIC, this is what I got:

code:
ERROR:root:Could not find def gateway info in /proc
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/hwtest/scripts/internet_test", line 132, in <module>
    sys.exit(main(sys.argv[1:]))
  File "/usr/share/hwtest/scripts/internet_test", line 118, in main
    host = route.get_default_gateway()
  File "/usr/share/hwtest/scripts/internet_test", line 81, in get_default_gateway
    t1 = self._get_default_gateway_from_bin_route()
  File "/usr/share/hwtest/scripts/internet_test", line 69, in _get_default_gateway_from_bin_route
    if def_gateway:
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'def_gateway' referenced before assignment

Are you connected to the Internet?
Here is my ifconfig:

code:
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:21:85:03:03:8a  
          inet addr:192.168.1.104  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::221:85ff:fe03:38a/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:2078 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:1421 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:2460566 (2.3 MB)  TX bytes:233105 (227.6 KB)
          Interrupt:250 Base address:0xe000 

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:1959 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:1959 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
          RX bytes:99720 (97.3 KB)  TX bytes:99720 (97.3 KB)

vmnet8    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:50:56:c0:00:08  
          inet addr:192.168.1.1  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::250:56ff:fec0:8/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:48 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
I can ping my gateway at 192.168.1.1, but nothing else. :(

I have no idea what to do at this point. My internet connection worked fine for about 6 hours and then just quit.

No idea what the gently caress is going on.

Things I have installed: VMWare (runs an XP VM with a working bridged net connection, connection for Ubuntu doesn't work even without VMWare running), drivers for my ATI card, Java...that's seriously it. Oh and IRSSI.

Also totally retarded, I can ping 192.168.1.1 but I can't access it via the web browser? :psyduck:

Sorry for the cross-post but I figured I'd have better luck here with you Linux guys :v:

Also, I can't seem to mount more than one additional hard drive. Ubuntu sees my 500gb, and sees my 250gb drives that I had hooked up to it, but refuses to mount either of the 250s :psyduck:

I'm a super noob :(

pretend to care fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Sep 15, 2008

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

rugbert posted:

I've had weird problems like that before with gparted. Normally I just load up a live distribution and run gparted from there.

If I remember correctly, the max for primary partitions is 4. I assume you're installing on an Intel based Mac. I've never dual booted with OS X but like Eyecannon said, with Win/Linux you should always install Windows first. Haven't done this with Vista, but XP used to take over the MBR and not recognize any other operating systems.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

chryst posted:

You can specify it on the client as well as the server. Someone posted that the Mac implementation of NFS sucks, and I don't doubt that's your problem. All kinds of NFS weirdness happens when using different server/client builds.
Neither mmap or sendfile apply to NFS.

This is infuriating. Transfering even a 7mb file results in a different hash. That is even more strange considering I stream mp3s from the server to this mac all the time in itunes (via NFS) and they seem to play fine.

I used to have no trouble at all doing this. I wonder which end is to blame.

I guess I can try AFP now? :rolleyes:

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Does anyone know why I'm having issues in Ubuntu with the Unlock buttons on dialogs?

Basically, the unlock button brings up a special dialog for entering the admin password. For some reason, this just refuses to authenticate me. The password is correct, as I use it for gksudo and logging in. I've tried changing it, still no go. I've tried creating a completely new user and adding to admin - the username shows up in the list but it still refuses to authenticate me.

There's another Ubuntu Gnome Policy Kit issue which apparently doesn't offer the Unlock button, but that's not the issue here.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
So let's get AFP working!

netatalk.conf
code:
#ATALK_ZONE="@some zone"
ATALK_NAME=`echo ${HOSTNAME}|cut -d. -f1`

# specify the Mac and unix charsets to be used
ATALK_MAC_CHARSET='UTF8'
ATALK_UNIX_CHARSET='LOCALE'

# specify this if you don't want guest, clrtxt, and dhx
# available options: uams_guest.so, uams_clrtxt.so, uams_dhx.so, 
# 		     uams_randnum.so
AFPD_UAMLIST="-U uams_pam.so"

# Change this to set the id of the guest user
AFPD_GUEST=nobody

# Set which daemons to run (papd is dependent upon atalkd):
ATALKD_RUN=no
PAPD_RUN=no
CNID_METAD_RUN=no
AFPD_RUN=yes
TIMELORD_RUN=no
A2BOOT_RUN=no

# Control whether the daemons are started in the background
ATALK_BGROUND=no

# export the charsets, read form ENV by apps
export ATALK_MAC_CHARSET
export ATALK_UNIX_CHARSET
afpd.conf
code:
- -noddp -advertise_ssh
AppleVolumes.default
code:
/mnt/Media Media allow:patrick
The server starts without error, but when I try to connect with my mac it won't accept the password. The password I am using is the password for the account "patrick" on the server.

Should I not be using the pam module? Nothing shows up in the logs on the server end.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

So how risky is it REALLY to enable writing to NTFS drives?

And, if it's really bad, can I convert my NTFS drives to something that Linux could write through via Samba? I want to make this box my fileserver, but if I can't map drives and write to them, it's pointless.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

pretend to care posted:

And, if it's really bad, can I convert my NTFS drives to something that Linux could write through via Samba? I want to make this box my fileserver, but if I can't map drives and write to them, it's pointless.

Writing to ntfs is pretty safe, if you dual-boot, you will occasionally get an error about the partition not being ready, which can be fixed by running ntfs-fix then mount with -o force.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

pretend to care posted:

Most of the risk comes with unclean unmounts. Don't let power drop during a write or sync, and try to unmount cleanly every time, and you should be OK.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

So if I want to, say, run Utorrent and save files directly to an Ubuntu mounted NTFS drive that I've mapped, I shouldn't have any problems?

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete

pretend to care posted:

So if I want to, say, run Utorrent and save files directly to an Ubuntu mounted NTFS drive that I've mapped, I shouldn't have any problems?

It will work.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Kaluza-Klein posted:

So let's get AFP working!

netatalk.conf
code:
#ATALK_ZONE="@some zone"
ATALK_NAME=`echo ${HOSTNAME}|cut -d. -f1`

# specify the Mac and unix charsets to be used
ATALK_MAC_CHARSET='UTF8'
ATALK_UNIX_CHARSET='LOCALE'

# specify this if you don't want guest, clrtxt, and dhx
# available options: uams_guest.so, uams_clrtxt.so, uams_dhx.so, 
# 		     uams_randnum.so
AFPD_UAMLIST="-U uams_pam.so"

# Change this to set the id of the guest user
AFPD_GUEST=nobody

# Set which daemons to run (papd is dependent upon atalkd):
ATALKD_RUN=no
PAPD_RUN=no
CNID_METAD_RUN=no
AFPD_RUN=yes
TIMELORD_RUN=no
A2BOOT_RUN=no

# Control whether the daemons are started in the background
ATALK_BGROUND=no

# export the charsets, read form ENV by apps
export ATALK_MAC_CHARSET
export ATALK_UNIX_CHARSET
afpd.conf
code:
- -noddp -advertise_ssh
AppleVolumes.default
code:
/mnt/Media Media allow:patrick
The server starts without error, but when I try to connect with my mac it won't accept the password. The password I am using is the password for the account "patrick" on the server.

Should I not be using the pam module? Nothing shows up in the logs on the server end.

Is there any reason I should not just use MacFUSE and sshfs? It seems to be working beautifully. . .

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Hi, I need help using rsync to copy my files from my old pc to my new one. First thing I wanted to do was copy all my steam game stuff over so I wouldnt have to redownload everything. This is the command I used:

code:
rsync -r -a -v -e "ssh -l User" 192.168.1.101:/cygwin/c/Program\ Files/Steam /~
I keep getting:
code:
rsync: link_stat "/cygwin/c/Program" failed: No such file or directory (2)
rsync: link_stat "home/User/Files/Steam" failed: No such file or directory (2)
I've tried with quotes and double quotes around the 'Program Files' portion which is where I think the problem is. Can someone help me get this working?

Thank you so much! It started working as soon as I extended the quotes to the ip address part, as well as the directory part :) (rsync -r -a -vv- e "ssh -l User" "192.168.1.101:c:/Program\ Files/Steam" ~)
VV

Feral Integral fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Sep 17, 2008

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Feral Integral posted:

Hi, I need help using rsync to copy my files from my old pc to my new one. First thing I wanted to do was copy all my steam game stuff over so I wouldnt have to redownload everything. This is the command I used:

code:
rsync -r -a -v -e "ssh -l User" 192.168.1.101:/cygwin/c/Program\ Files/Steam /~
I keep getting:
code:
rsync: link_stat "/cygwin/c/Program" failed: No such file or directory (2)
rsync: link_stat "home/User/Files/Steam" failed: No such file or directory (2)
I've tried with quotes and double quotes around the 'Program Files' portion which is where I think the problem is. Can someone help me get this working?

did you try "192.168.1.101:/cygwin/c/Program\ Files/Steam" /~ or "192.168.1.101:/cygwin/c/Program\ Files/Steam /~" ?

If neither work, I would recommend just creating a symbolic link to it, and using the link.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Can some one explain to me how to change the default menu items in xfce?

In the file /etc/xdg/menus/xfce-applications.menu I see the item I want to change:
code:
    <Layout>
        <Filename>xfce4-run-program.desktop</Filename>
        <Separator/>
        <Filename>xfce4-terminal.desktop</Filename>
        <Filename>xfce4-file-manager.desktop</Filename>
        <Filename>xfce4-web-browser.desktop</Filename>
        <Separator/>
        <Menuname>Settings</Menuname>
        <Separator/>
        <Merge type="all"/>
        <Separator/>
        <Filename>xfce4-help.desktop</Filename>
        <Filename>xfce4-about-xfce.desktop</Filename>
        <Filename>xfce4-logout.desktop</Filename>
    </Layout>
All those .desktop files seem to correspond to files in /usr/shares/applications. So I make my change:
code:
    <Layout>
        <Filename>xfce4-run-program.desktop</Filename>
        <Separator/>
        <Filename>xfce4-terminal.desktop</Filename>
        <Filename>[b]rox-rox.desktop[/b]</Filename>
        <Filename>xfce4-web-browser.desktop</Filename>
        <Separator/>
        <Menuname>Settings</Menuname>
        <Separator/>
        <Merge type="all"/>
        <Separator/>
        <Filename>xfce4-help.desktop</Filename>
        <Filename>xfce4-about-xfce.desktop</Filename>
        <Filename>xfce4-logout.desktop</Filename>
    </Layout>
and now that item is not displayed at all. What gives?

I suppose I could edit xfce4-file-manager.desktop and point it to the rox executable, but that seems like a silly hack.

Peanutmonger
Dec 6, 2002

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Can some one explain to me how to change the default menu items in xfce?

First, the menu that's being used is almost certainly in your home directory, not in /etc. Second, I usually use the GUI editor to edit menu items. On the second tab of the desktop menu in the settings menu there's a box that launches the menu editor. That seems like a long way to find it, I thought there was a shorter way, but I can't think of one right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe
Hi everyone,

I'm having trouble mounting a cifs share on a debian box that we have at work. It houses our wiki and I want to offload the backups I make. At this time I have 2 other systems centos boxes that are also connected to the share and can see files.

When I try to connect with the debian system I get:

code:
mount: block device //<ip address>/LinuxBackups/ is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: cannot mount block device //<ip address>/LinuxBackups/ read-only
Here is the command I'm using
code:
/bin/mount -t cifs -o  username=<neg>,password=<neg>//<address>/LinuxBackups/ /mnt/samba
On the windows side it seems the folder is marked as 'read only' and if I change it, it reverts right back to 'read only'. Which I figure might play a role in this issue.

Thanks!