Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Technetium posted:

Do not watch the trailer.

Crud. That's what I had heard, but they showed the trailer at my local indie theater, who's going to be showing it as a midnight movie in a few weeks. I literally knew nothing about it, but I felt like it gave away most of the movie. That's a bummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

ClydeUmney posted:

Crud. That's what I had heard, but they showed the trailer at my local indie theater, who's going to be showing it as a midnight movie in a few weeks. I literally knew nothing about it, but I felt like it gave away most of the movie. That's a bummer.

I'm only about halfway through, but this is seriously one of the funniest movies I've seen this year. I don't care if you know every plot point in the movie, it's damned hilarious.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

QPZIL posted:

I'm only about halfway through, but this is seriously one of the funniest movies I've seen this year. I don't care if you know every plot point in the movie, it's damned hilarious.

I really can't wait to see it, but I just worried that the trailer gave away a ton of the jokes and fun. I'm still going to see it either way, but I was curious as to the reactions.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

The trailer does show a bunch but there's a lot more to it than that and the jokes and situation are better in context than in the trailer. Don't worry.

edit: speaking of magnet releasing (who released Tucker and Dale and Hobo in the states or canada or something) y'all should watch The Troll Hunter too. It's a norweigan movie that they're releasing too. It's found footage and it's pseudo-horror because it's not very scary mostly because it's about trolls even though they're awesome in it but you all should watch it. It's been discussed in the Norweigan (?) movie thread and I figured I'd bring it up because of the aforementioned link.

Also check out that thread. There's a horror movie about Santa in it and it's also great and funny.

Technetium fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 25, 2011

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Finished the movie, that was pretty drat funny. I've already recommended it to a few friends.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
Not on Netflix :( Where are you guys watching D&TvE? I love Alan Tudyk.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

scary ghost dog posted:

The Mist, but in the black and white version on the Blu-Ray. It's done like an extra-long Twilight Zone episode and it's amazing.

Then after watching the movie, find the 3d audio book somewhere and listen to that with some good headphones.

Man I wish more books were done like that. Or really a movie. I wouldn't mind wearing headphones during a movie if it had 3d sound like that. Would definitely be able to make the movie more intense/scary.

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 25, 2011

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Binaural sound would be a kick-rear end thing to bring into horror movies. The Alien Encounter attraction at Disney used that to terrifying effect.

Shame it's a Stitch ride now.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Paranormal Activity 2 last night. Not bad. Less annoying characters than the first one, but a little more cheesy in some parts, especially the demon that can be hurt by Christian iconography and responds to advice in an internet demon guidebook. Personally I find that a ghost that isn't bothered by that stuff would be way more effective, and both films seem to set it up that way for the first hour or so. It works in something like [REC] where the culture is steeped in the mythology, but comes off as campy in most American horror.

Still, it was entertaining. In some ways it's better than the first, and the final few scenes were pretty sweet, especially the neck snap scene.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Binaural sound would be a kick-rear end thing to bring into horror movies. The Alien Encounter attraction at Disney used that to terrifying effect.
I posted this way earlier in the thread (like a year ago), but it also had that awesome "hot breath on your neck" effect from air jets in the headrests. THAT's something that would kick rear end in a theater, and I think it would be way more effective than 3D.

Bonk fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 25, 2011

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
First day of Frightfest today :), we have Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark, Final Destination 5 and Theatre Bizarre.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Oh my, you'll have to tell us about Don't Be Afraid of the Dark. That movie looks great.

Harminoff posted:

Then after watching the movie, find the 3d audio book somewhere and listen to that with some good headphones.

Man I wish more books were done like that. Or really a movie. I wouldn't mind wearing headphones during a movie if it had 3d sound like that. Would definitely be able to make the movie more intense/scary.

I picked this up on cassette years ago at a garage sale and it might be the best garage sale purchase I ever made. I remember putting that on with noise-cancelling headphones and shutting my eyes listening to it. Scared the poo poo out of me.

I remember the seller having more Stephen King audiobooks there but I didn't want to buy them all so I only got The Mist. Does anyone know if they've done other stories of his this way?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Technetium posted:

Also check out that thread. There's a horror movie about Santa in it and it's also great and funny.

Rare Imports?

Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

Whispering Machines posted:

Not on Netflix :( Where are you guys watching D&TvE? I love Alan Tudyk.

seconding this

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

FYI The Signal is only going to be on Streaming Netflix for a few more days. Watch it. It's good.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
I have no idea what this 11.11.11 movie is about, which leads me to believe it will probably suck.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken

weekly font posted:

FYI The Signal is only going to be on Streaming Netflix for a few more days. Watch it. It's good.

The first third of it is good, then it tries to be something else and fails miserably.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

foodfight posted:

I have no idea what this 11.11.11 movie is about, which leads me to believe it will probably suck.

It's Darren Lynn Bousman, whose only good film is Saw II. So yeah. Probably.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

NarkyBark posted:

The first third of it is good, then it tries to be something else and fails miserably.

Yeah it does become a completely different movie for about a half hour but it's still enjoyable.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Technetium posted:

Oh my, you'll have to tell us about Don't Be Afraid of the Dark. That movie looks great.

Asked a girl to go see that this weekend. She wants to see the matinee because she says it looks too scary.

We're gonna see it at night cause I give no gently caress.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
I'm so mad my theater only had Fright Night in 3D. The whole movie is just too goddamn dark and I couldn't see anything during any of the scenes that were supposed to be suspenseful.

There were some concepts in Fright Night that I think would have made two pretty good vampire movies.

Movie 1: Washed up Vegas Magician vs Vampires. Loud, lots of neon, lots of gore, sexy.

Movie 2: A slower paced suspense movie set in a suburb where vampires are taking advantage of foreclosed homes.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Lake Mungo.

Seen that yesterday. Loved it. Any other suggestions? Maybe something from the same After Dark Fest?

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

THE GAYEST POSTER posted:

Asked a girl to go see that this weekend. She wants to see the matinee because she says it looks too scary.

We're gonna see it at night cause I give no gently caress.

Report back since I probably won't get a good chance to see it for awhile and I need to know if it's worth it.

NarkyBark posted:

I loved The Signal but I would've preferred it keep the same tone throughout the movie. I've seen it about 2-3 times now because there's so much it gets right that it makes up for any shortcomings it has.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Rare Imports?

I think it's Rare Exports but I'm not going to look it up. That's the movie and it's awesome. Evil Santa is the best Santa (I have not watched Santa's Slay yet though).

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Movie 2: A slower paced suspense movie set in a suburb where vampires are taking advantage of foreclosed homes.

If you've never read the Stephen King novel 'Salem's Lot, please do. It's not the suburbs, but the "drying up" of the small town more or less covered over the fact of what was really happening.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

NarkyBark posted:

This is because three different directors shot the three different scenes.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I did a double header of Conan and Fright Night last weekend. Conan was meh, Fright Night was an absolute blast. I seriously loved every second of that movie. It balances horror and comedy so perfectly. A lot of movies can have a funny scene and then a scary scene, but Fright Night did a perfect job of having funny scenes that were legitimately scary at the same time. It goes up there with Zombieland (and I guess the Evil Dead movies to varying degrees) in my "favorite humor/horror movies."

Any recommendations for others that strike a similar tone?

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Eff Jay posted:

seconding this

:filez: no doubt, it's not even on DVD for like 3 months.

edit: Whoops, I guess it's also on On Demand.

The Duke fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 26, 2011

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken

Twin Cinema posted:

Re: The Signal This is because three different directors shot the three different scenes.

I don't have any problem with that except for the drastic tone changes. I'm putting the rest in spoilers just in case people want to watch it blind (which if you do watch it, I recommend). The first third was fantastic, and gave me a sense of dread I very rarely feel watching horror movies. poo poo went down hard. Once she picks up the man in the closet and they get in the car, it just feels hopeless because you can see how people are losing their minds. THEN, the movie decides it wants to be a dark comedy, except that it just fails. The comedic aspects of it just aren't that good, and that section drags on WAY too long. Once the final third comes, it tried to recapture some dread and by that point you don't care. Plus it then tries to get mysterious and only ends up being vapid, with a twist on top that makes no sense and adds nothing.

I don't care about different takes on a theme, I like movies that do that actually; but when your drastic tone changes fail to deliver, you should just stick with what was working, which in this case was the first part.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
I thought Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark was average, if you're easily scared or don't like seeing a child in constant peril you'll probably get freaked out by it. It felt like a horror movie that was aimed at kids only with some violence thrown in. It kind of becomes repetitive in the middle parts where it becomes Child walks into dark room, gets attacked until someone comes in and turns on the lights. The last 15 minutes are really well done and the ending is good but overall it just feels like a horror movie more geared towards the younger crowd with some violence thrown in.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

SlimGoodbody posted:

I did a double header of Conan and Fright Night last weekend. Conan was meh, Fright Night was an absolute blast. I seriously loved every second of that movie. It balances horror and comedy so perfectly. A lot of movies can have a funny scene and then a scary scene, but Fright Night did a perfect job of having funny scenes that were legitimately scary at the same time. It goes up there with Zombieland (and I guess the Evil Dead movies to varying degrees) in my "favorite humor/horror movies."

I saw Fright Night Wednesday on the basis of goon approval. I love the original movie so much, but this blew it away. The only thing that annoyed me was how the main actor kept reminding me of 90210 era Jason Priestly.

live nudes
Jun 17, 2004

we like to watch
I managed to catch Kidnapped recently. It has a level of brutality that I haven't seen since Inside, so if you dig those kinds of movies, you're in for a treat. This one was well made all around, especially the fact that it had several very long scenes that were done in a single take. It's not used as a crutch or a gimmick, though. Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed it, even if I did have to go for a long walk and call my parents to tell them I loved them afterward.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

SlimGoodbody posted:

I wish I'd enjoyed Fright Night as much as the rest of you.

I did like the fact that the vampire liked watching reality TV during his downtime.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
^ Well don't forget he might be referring to the original. Since he said he also watched Conan, I suspect that's what he meant. He / she would have to clarify though.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

NarkyBark posted:

I don't have any problem with that except for the drastic tone changes. I'm putting the rest in spoilers just in case people want to watch it blind (which if you do watch it, I recommend). The first third was fantastic, and gave me a sense of dread I very rarely feel watching horror movies. poo poo went down hard. Once she picks up the man in the closet and they get in the car, it just feels hopeless because you can see how people are losing their minds. THEN, the movie decides it wants to be a dark comedy, except that it just fails. The comedic aspects of it just aren't that good, and that section drags on WAY too long. Once the final third comes, it tried to recapture some dread and by that point you don't care. Plus it then tries to get mysterious and only ends up being vapid, with a twist on top that makes no sense and adds nothing.

I don't care about different takes on a theme, I like movies that do that actually; but when your drastic tone changes fail to deliver, you should just stick with what was working, which in this case was the first part.

Well, I think we are in disagreement about the drastic tone changes. I think combining all three into one film made for a successful experiment, and I am willing to overlook some of the film's faults (like the terrible ending) because I enjoyed myself immensely. I think I would of disliked "The Signal" if they kept the tone of the first section throughout. I have already seen too many films similar to that, and it wasn't doing anything original.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

StickySweater posted:

^ Well don't forget he might be referring to the original. Since he said he also watched Conan, I suspect that's what he meant. He / she would have to clarify though.

There's a new Conan movie, so he was probably talking about the new Fright Night as well.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
Ah, I did not know that.

EDIT: For content, I'm in the middle of Never Sleep Again the Nightmare on Elm Street Documentary. It's pretty good so far. Like everyone else who worked on it, I didn't notice the gayness of Nightmare 2 either until it was pointed out to me. Nightmare 2 has a great intro, but the main plot is probably one of the worse ones in the series. 1, 3, 4 and 7 were clearly the strongest.

StickySweater fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 26, 2011

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

StickySweater posted:

Ah, I did not know that.

EDIT: For content, I'm in the middle of Never Sleep Again the Nightmare on Elm Street Documentary. It's pretty good so far. Like everyone else who worked on it, I didn't notice the gayness of Nightmare 2 either until it was pointed out to me. Nightmare 2 has a great intro, but the main plot is probably one of the worse ones in the series. 1, 3, 4 and 7 were clearly the strongest.

Never Sleep Again is great. It's 3 Hours long, but never feels it. I suppose that only works for fans of the series though.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

I really like Nightmare 2. Don't get me wrong, it's a terrible film but I find the blatant gay allegory way more interesting than anything any of the other sequels did apart from New Nightmare. I like that it takes a chance right off the bat, even if it doesn't pay off.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Dream Warriors is a legit good movie. The rest of the "canon" Nightmare movies are pretty bad (even the original, save for the concept)

New Nightmare is great though.

In recent news, just saw Fright Night and thought it wasn't half-bad. Had some neat ideas and twists from the original, although I thought they royally hosed the Evil Ed plotline in the rear end. Peter Vincent would have been better if he were a Ghost Hunters type host, keeping him on TV. The Vegas thing is stupid. David Tennant saying gently caress a lot was worth it though.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Never Sleep Again is great. It's 3 Hours long, but never feels it. I suppose that only works for fans of the series though.

No, it works. I made my buddy watch it and he's not much of a fan but was still as engrossed as I was. His Name Was Jason isn't as good, but is still very, very watchable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Soonmot posted:

His Name Was Jason isn't as good, but is still very, very watchable.

It looked like something that would air on TV on Halloween, other than the titshot.

FWIW, that Pinhead image isn't from any kind of remake, it's just something the artist threw together for fun.

That's disappointing Clive Barker won't be involved with the remake. I remember at one point he was talking about telling the story in a new way since the sadomasochistic themes don't have the same impact now as they did in 1984 when the book was released.