Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Started work on the KZ, that thing is a mess, had to rip the wiring out since it was all fuckered up. Also took off the back wheel since the brake was jacked and the caliper rusted closed. Got the carbs soaking in carb cleaner, removed the front controls to free the rusted up handlebars and remove the guages.

Jesus this thing is a basketcase. Luckily my buddy decided he doesnt want to flip it he wants to fix and keep it. So... off we go.

Started as

Carbs removed and laid out

Wiring nightmare

Bike mostly disassembled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Took me 6 hours start to finish (including cleanup) and I must have used at least 60lbs of baking soda. Actually probably closer to 75lbs.

Should have used Sodium Hydroxide, it would be a lot more effective and maybe even cheaper. (Be careful for burns though)

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Forty Two posted:

Should have used Sodium Hydroxide, it would be a lot more effective and maybe even cheaper. (Be careful for burns though)

yea... the engine was in pieces so, the NaOH would not only destroy the aluminum block, gently caress up the cylinder bores and the valvetrain, but also I don't have a blasting cabinet.

Yes there is 80lbs of baking soda all over my driveway/cars/neighborhood.

edit:
this is what happens when you mix sodium hydroxide and aluminum
2 Al + 2 NaOH + 2 H2O → 2 NaAlO2 + 3 H2

tl;dr hydrogen and a puddle of what used to be your engine block

and a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J4eLkWSMWw&feature=related

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 11, 2011

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

yea... the engine was in pieces so, the NaOH would not only destroy the aluminum block, gently caress up the cylinder bores and the valvetrain, but also I don't have a blasting cabinet.

Perhaps it was a very goony dig at your bike? :devil:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Saga posted:

Perhaps it was a very goony dig at your bike? :devil:

provided I didn't have to replace the bike (since it's not mine)... melting it WOULD be cheaper than actually fixing it.

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007
You're just being overly dramatic. I use it almost every day so I'm well aware of what it's capable of. You can dilute it as much as you like if you're working on sensitive parts and you can always wash it off.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Forty Two posted:

You're just being overly dramatic. I use it almost every day so I'm well aware of what it's capable of. You can dilute it as much as you like if you're working on sensitive parts and you can always wash it off.

If you get any of that on the crankshaft bearing journals, cylinder walls, valves/seats/springs, etc... they're toast.
Parts that are machined to thousandths of an inch probably wouldn't like this very much.

The spare carb body came in so, I did some more work on the Goldwing carbs:

note: no actual work is being performed in these pics. although those needles did polish up real nice.
I didn't gently caress up the micro textures or anything!

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Here is an updated set of pics from my latest paint and body work.

The tank with knee dents ended up too narrow in the front to fit my frame, so I am working with some spreaders to get it back into shape. For now, I have my original tank (which I also painted to match the color scheme) on the bike.

I may try to set off the knee dents with rubber pads or a few coats of spray on bed-liner. Otherwise the tanks sides are bit too open for may taste.

I also am hunting down ideas for the tank emblem space. After sealing over the emblem mounts, I want to paint something in that area, but haven't decided what. The theme to the bike is LSU, so I might use stencils to put "LSU" on the tank, but using the Suzuki stylized "S."

Even with the current Suzuki emblem tank, it will be a lot of fun pulling up to the local Tiger Alumni bar for the Tennessee game next Saturday.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Tamir Lenk posted:

Even with the current Suzuki emblem tank, it will be a lot of fun pulling up to the local Tiger Alumni bar for the Tennessee game next Saturday.

Needs more LSU stickers.

God willing I'll have the bike fixed up to make the ride out to Graves Mountain for teh apple fest!
Any NOVA goons should seriously consider taking this group ride. It's gonna be fun (well as fun as group rides can get).
http://gnarlywrench.blogspot.com/2011/10/graves-mountain-ride-sunday.html

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I replaced the spark plugs! With a hot engine!

I'm getting a 600. The 1200 in this frame means there is no room at all. I have many burned knuckles, wrists, elbows, etc.

Also, I guess I messed up my valve cover gasket, as I see some oil weeping. Is this a major problem? No leaks, just some oily spots. I did the valve check ~500 miles ago, so the oil isn't coming out that fast; I haven't noticed a change in the level.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I'm getting a 600. The 1200 in this frame means there is no room at all. I have many burned knuckles, wrists, elbows, etc.

Also, I guess I messed up my valve cover gasket, as I see some oil weeping. Is this a major problem? No leaks, just some oily spots. I did the valve check ~500 miles ago, so the oil isn't coming out that fast; I haven't noticed a change in the level.

...what bike?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

You have a B12, right?

Anyways, a minor leak is no big deal. Keep an eye on it, but you might be able to fix it by just reseating the gasket.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Sometimes minor, non-pressurized oil leaks (like on the valve cover gasket) will seal themselves up with crusty burned oil over a little bit of time. Oil leaks out, smokes, burns, seals the leak.

It's the only think keeping my Enfield together.

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007

Tamir Lenk posted:

Here is an updated set of pics from my latest paint and body work.

How the gently caress do you manage to paint without getting dust in the paint? I can put a coat on without finding a few bits of dust in the paint which means sanding down and starting and repainting.

TELL ME YOUR SECRETS it's driving my insane

Also, I'm painting it white which is the devil's colour. It just shows up every last tiny speck

Forty Two fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 13, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Forty Two posted:

How the gently caress do you manage to paint without getting dust in the paint? I can put a coat on without finding a few bits of dust in the paint which means sanding down and starting and repainting.

Also, I'm painting it white which is the devil's colour. It just shows up every last tiny speck

I just did this to my buddy's bike.

white was a bad choice :(

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Forty Two posted:

The trick is to take pictures of the bike from several feet away. That way the dust specks and gnats don't show up in the pictures. heh

Especially on the tank currently on the bike, which I painted in a hurry, there are tons of gently caress ups and bugs. I am focusing on reshaping the other tank to get it onto the frame.

I should really set up a painting tent but :effort:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Tamir Lenk posted:

The trick is to take pictures of the bike from several feet away. That way the dust specks and gnats don't show up in the pictures. heh

Especially on the tank currently on the bike, which I painted in a hurry, there are tons of gently caress ups and bugs. I am focusing on reshaping the other tank to get it onto the frame.

I should really set up a painting tent but :effort:

just go buy a $10 tent from wal mart.

be sure to breathe deeeeeeeeeeeeeeep though ;)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

just go buy a $10 tent from wal mart.

be sure to breathe deeeeeeeeeeeeeeep though ;)

I bought $2.50 in drop cloths from my local hardware store and a decent respirator and tacked them to the roof of the garage and painted like that. Very few contaminants, especially if you grab a paint suit for yourself or wear clean clothes.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
If you're painting outside then wet the ground around your work area down to prevent dust from getting kicked up..

Apart from that, pray.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I've actually found white to be one of the most forgiving colors to paint with (and it's cited on a lot of auto painting forums as a good color to start with as a beginner) because of how it actually hides underlying defects. A layer of black (gloss or matte, doesn't matter) will show every nick, scratch, and rough spot you have underneath the paint. White, while it may show a gnat or hair, will hide my shoddy Bondo work way better. It'll just look dirtier during use than, say, OD green or red, but so will black.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Geirskogul posted:

I've actually found white to be one of the most forgiving colors to paint with (and it's cited on a lot of auto painting forums as a good color to start with as a beginner) because of how it actually hides underlying defects. A layer of black (gloss or matte, doesn't matter) will show every nick, scratch, and rough spot you have underneath the paint. White, while it may show a gnat or hair, will hide my shoddy Bondo work way better. It'll just look dirtier during use than, say, OD green or red, but so will black.

Prep work is the hardest part of painting, only because people refuse to take the time to do it right.

My buddy thought it would take just a few hours to paint the bike.
Well... he was sort of right, it took about 8 hours of spraying to completely paint his frame and another 8 for the tank and sidepanels.

I think I spent about 40 hours on that thing in sanding alone.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Yesterday I did a dumb thing and broke my mirror. Today I borrowed some 2 part epoxy from work and made magic.

The front looks legit.

OH GOD :gonk:

We will see if it lasts at speed. Better than spending $35 whole dollars on a replacement. After all, I just spent 250 at AF1 racing today...

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
At least you can see something in your mirrors. Took a trip with my brother in law the other week which revealed that on a highway, you can't see anything in the old style round mirrors except the back of the bike. Maybe I need to break them and glue them back on?

On the plus side, highway riding apparently gets you a little over 40mpg at a steady 80. I was shocked - my commute is normally 28-30(!).

Also put a part-worn BT023 on the back that came off a racebike (don't ask, I don't know). Works really well.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
alright I finally got my GL1000 carbs all rebuilt.

...oh gently caress I forgot the slow fuel jets.

...okay I finally got - OH GODDAMNIT THE loving PLENUM DOWELS!!!

...ALRIGHT! now my carbs are mounted and ready to ...what?
What do you mean what is this thing hanging off? It's the Air cutoff valve.
No, it's not supposed to be loving dangling down all willy nilly. Douche. Get me a screwdriver.

...okay carbs are finally complete and remounted.
petcock has new gaskets.
New fuel filter.

Going to finish putting the rest back together tonight: radiator+fan, ignition, etc...
Then set the timing statically hope to god it starts and then adjust the timing and sync the carbs.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I locked the front wheel at a gas station and broke the blinker again. The epoxy wasn't even 18 hours old. When inspecting to see where all the gas came from, I noticed I'd forgotten to tighten any of the carb clamps. No wonder it acted like there was a major vacuum leak. Fixed, then rode 300 miles.

I need a radar detector, this thing wants to cruise at 6k, but 105 indicated is probably too fast.

Odd thing, the odometer is spot on, but the speedometer is pretty far off. Any way to fix that?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Odd thing, the odometer is spot on, but the speedometer is pretty far off. Any way to fix that?

If it's driven off the front wheel, it's going to have some percentage of error. Your best bet is to compare your indicated speeds with GPS readouts, and just memorize what is what.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Motorcycle speedometers are notoriously off, across almost all brands. They read high, low, or sometimes both at the same time, depending on your speed, the humidity, and whether or not the spinny-cable-gods like you that day.

Most mechanical speedometers run with a spinning magnet of some sort, and a sprung arm connected to the needle, and the field produced by the spinning bit moves the needle - the faster it spins, the stronger the field it is, and therefore the more spring tension it allows the needle to overcome. Depending on how shaken up your speedo mechanics are, the quality of the speedo (which is not generally tied to the quality of the bike in most cases, surprisingly), how well lubed the speedo cable (if mechanical) is, and simply how many bends and how sharp the bends are the cable has (which can actually change on the road with suspension movement), the error of the speedometer can change. This can happen with rear-wheel-driven mechanical speedometers as well, but because rear-wheel systems tend to have fewer sharp bends, and a much smaller change in the bend with suspension travel, they'll be a little more consistent.

Digital speedometers that also use a digital sensor system (I've seen digital dashes with cables - I know, blew my mind, too) tend to be a lot better at error fluctuations, but also tend to specifically error to read high by a set percentage. With them you can at least memorize the GPS equivalents and compensate.

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009
What about those speedohealers? Do they work at all?

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I have a speedohealer on my 636 and even with only the "quick" setup it's pretty accurate according to my Garmin GPS. I mean, at 136 it will read 140 but hey. :c00l:

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

My bike reads at something like 1% error from 0 to 60km/hr but above that, the margin of error gets steadily worse up to about 5% error.

But it takes a looooooooong time to get from 100 to 120km/hr so it's still pretty trivial. :v:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Finally got the goldwing back together and went to start it.
After a minute of cranking and a few promising putters the thing SPEWED fuel out the right exhaust pipe. :barf:

Apparently the Clymer's manual was wrong about how to set the float height.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Saga posted:

At least you can see something in your mirrors. Took a trip with my brother in law the other week which revealed that on a highway, you can't see anything in the old style round mirrors except the back of the bike. Maybe I need to break them and glue them back on?

On the plus side, highway riding apparently gets you a little over 40mpg at a steady 80. I was shocked - my commute is normally 28-30(!).

Also put a part-worn BT023 on the back that came off a racebike (don't ask, I don't know). Works really well.

I was super impressed with the tuono mirrors actually. Its so nice having a bike with usable mirrors. You know, so you can see who you just passed.. on one wheel...

I got 50 miles after the fuel light came on last weekend. I was in the hill country and forgot to fuel up and thought I had enough to the next town with gas. Turns out I was right, but pretty sure I was running off the dregs of the tank when I rolled in. 40mpg at 80 mph? Mine was definitely lower than that, somewhere around 35 over the 1000 mile trip I just did on it.

Contribution to this thread - changed the oil today and washed the bike after last weekend. Changing oil on the Tuono is a little more involved than the average bike. I don't like cartridge filters and this one was no exception. I didn't read the instructions correctly so counting two runs to get supplies (27mm socket and then new hose clamps because I didn't have the right size on hand and could not figure out for the life of me how to reuse the stock 'clic' clip) it took me just over two hours. On the old bike was super simple - drain oil, replace filter, refill. This thing also involves disconnecting an oil hose, draining oil from two locations, removing the oil pickup shaft thingy and cleaning it out and then to check the oil level requires a 10 minute warm up ride as the oil needs to be checked at operating temp.

However that was all worth it on the shakedown cruise. I know its largely mental but the bike felt loving awesome. I used motul 300v (holy poo poo $$$) and in future I'll need to figure out some cheaper alternative, but its neon green which is pretty funky. The oil had 2800 miles on it and the shifting wasn't as smooth as when I got the bike (with about 1000 miles on the oil) so I figured I may as well replace it, but when the oil came out it still looked like it had some life left in it (based on what I've seen come out of my cars in the past..)

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Apparently, the bandit has a digital speed sensor, that plugs into the transmission case somewhere. Maybe changing sprockets will make it accurate. Based on my timing light and auto-tune, the tach is within a few percent, and the odometer and trip meters are both within <1%, but the speedo still reads 5-15% high. *shrug* doesn't bug me much.

I did put 500 miles on the bike today, and got an all-time high of 52mpg. Time for an oil change and new sprockets!

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Apparently, the bandit has a digital speed sensor, that plugs into the transmission case somewhere. Maybe changing sprockets will make it accurate. Based on my timing light and auto-tune, the tach is within a few percent, and the odometer and trip meters are both within <1%, but the speedo still reads 5-15% high. *shrug* doesn't bug me much.

I did put 500 miles on the bike today, and got an all-time high of 52mpg. Time for an oil change and new sprockets!

Unless you're going to give it longer gearing then changing your sprockets won't make it more accurate.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Regardless of the results, would it even be worth the cost/time/effort?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Are you sure you're running the stock gearing? That sounds like speeding error when the gearing is shortened.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

GanjamonII posted:

I was super impressed with the tuono mirrors actually. Its so nice having a bike with usable mirrors. You know, so you can see who you just passed.. on one wheel...

could not figure out for the life of me how to reuse the stock 'clic' clip)

I've seen new mirrors on a mk1 tuono - must look into that!

You're not on crack - you're not supposed to re-use those clips, so unless you have the tool and spare clamps handy, you cut them off and use a decent hose clamp / jubilee clip.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Took about a 4 hour ride, almost all back-road stuff. The weather is near perfect and the trees are just right colorful without dumping their leaves all over the streets; nevertheless, it's clearly getting to the point in the season where casual non-commute riding is just about through. Also, there was way more traffic on said back roads than I expected. On the way back I got stuck behind a small group on mixed motorbikes (tourer hog, gsxr, etc) led by a chopped and stretched 'busa with the back adorned with an enormous tire and an enormous girlfriend, that unsurprisingly wasn't exactly aggressively attacking the corners. Couldn't find a good place to pass the whole group, and I didn't want to just bust in in the middle. What's the proper motorcyclist way to say "Let me play through"?

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
The Ninja's been down for the past 2 weeks due to a dead battery. Now that midterms are coming to a close, I tackled the bike. Had to take off some screws, claddings, a protective bar, and the gas tank to get the battery out, that was a pain. But it was so worth it to blast down the highway with the I-4 fury.

The clip-ons are totally pushing me toward:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Took it out for the first time in a couple weeks. Washed it. Rolled 25000 km.