Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

king salmon
Oct 30, 2011

by Cowcaster

Llamadeus posted:

Something like Greg Egan's The Clockwork Rocket?

That looks perfect, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyberpunksurvivor
Dec 29, 2011

I am opposed to homosexuality for political reasons
I'm on a literature regimen in order to make myself a better writer, and so far I'm two for three of the big L lit books. I want my fourth to be a detective book, since that's the genre I want to write for. I want to read Chandler again, but I was wondering if I should read something more current in order to write for a modern audience. Any recommendations for a current noir book? Or a classic noir book?

Poutling
Dec 26, 2005

spacebunny to the rescue

cyberpunksurvivor posted:

I'm on a literature regimen in order to make myself a better writer, and so far I'm two for three of the big L lit books. I want my fourth to be a detective book, since that's the genre I want to write for. I want to read Chandler again, but I was wondering if I should read something more current in order to write for a modern audience. Any recommendations for a current noir book? Or a classic noir book?

If you are going for noir I would definitely read some James Ellroy, especially the LA Quartet (The Black Dahlia, The Big Nowhere, LA Confidential, White Jazz). For a more recent author, I've been very impressed with Michael Koryta's work.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
They're not noir books, but if you're looking to write both The Art of Fiction and The Elements of Style are something you should look into.

cyberpunksurvivor
Dec 29, 2011

I am opposed to homosexuality for political reasons

barkingclam posted:

They're not noir books, but if you're looking to write both The Art of Fiction and The Elements of Style are something you should look into.
Aw, turd. I got "Writing Fiction for Dummies."

whaam
Mar 18, 2008
Looking for something good to read this summer, be it a handful of random books or a series. Big fan of GRRM, R A Salvitore, but it doesn't necessarily need to be fantasy. Post apocalyptic stuff, real world adventure (sailing, expeditions), outdoor sports or dark, gritty fantasy I think.

I have been trying hard to get into the Wheel of Time series but I'm just inching my way through the start of Eye of the World, I'll give it a bit more before I give up but it's not looking good for me.

whaam fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 10, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

whaam posted:

Looking for something good to read this summer, be it a handful of random books or a series. Big fan of GRRM, R A Salvitore, but it doesn't necessarily need to be fantasy. Post apocalyptic stuff, real world adventure (sailing, expeditions), outdoor sports or dark, gritty fantasy I think.

I have been trying hard to get into the Wheel of Time series but I'm just inching my way through the start of Eye of the World, I'll give it a bit more before I give up but it's not looking good for me.

Give Wheel a try but if you make it more than halfway through the first book and don't like it, you probably won't like the rest.

My go-to recommendation right now for people who want a fun fantasy read but haven't read a bunch of fantasy already would actually be the Dresden Files. It's probably more accessible to most readers since it's set in (at least a version of) modern Chicago.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I recently read "Starmaker" by Olaf Stapledon, and really loved how he detailed the alien lifeforms/lifestyles. Anything else out there like that? I have "Barlowe's Guide to Extraterrestrials".

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im on a killer kick right now. Blazed through 150 pgs of Rules of Prey - John Sandford just now. Its not bad but its not what Im looking for. I want Davinci Code + Silence of the Lambs - stupid. I love codes and numerology and symbolism. I heard Dante Club is good but Id rather read modern stuff. Thoughts? Edit: this will probably narrow it down considerably, but i would like a lead that isnt suave. A guy who pretty much doesnt even like girls. No romance.

ButtWolf fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 11, 2012

Poutling
Dec 26, 2005

spacebunny to the rescue

jimcunningham posted:

Im on a killer kick right now. Blazed through 150 pgs of Rules of Prey - John Sandford just now. Its not bad but its not what Im looking for. I want Davinci Code + Silence of the Lambs - stupid. I love codes and numerology and symbolism. I heard Dante Club is good but Id rather read modern stuff. Thoughts? Edit: this will probably narrow it down considerably, but i would like a lead that isnt suave. A guy who pretty much doesnt even like girls. No romance.

Try The Club Dumas by Arturo Perez Reverte. The movie is rubbish but the book is pretty good. His first one The Flanders Panel was also really good and is about a hidden code in a 15th century Flemish painting but the protagonist in that one is female.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Poutling posted:

Try The Club Dumas by Arturo Perez Reverte. The movie is rubbish but the book is pretty good. His first one The Flanders Panel was also really good and is about a hidden code in a 15th century Flemish painting but the protagonist in that one is female.

Wikipedia page had me at "demonology". Ill pick that up next paycheck.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Is there anything out there comparable to Vinge's Deepness in the Sky and Fire Upon the Deep novels?

I read Hyperion/Endymion books recently and I loved them as well, although I can't remember the author right now. The SF books, not the poetry.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

The Dregs posted:

Is there anything out there comparable to Vinge's Deepness in the Sky and Fire Upon the Deep novels?

David Brin's Startide Rising is like A Fire Upon The Deep, but replace alien puppies with uplifted dolphins. Sundiver comes before it in the series, but they're pretty much standalones so you can skip it. It's still a good book but it's a much smaller story. Startide Rising is much more epic in scope.

Free Weedlord
Dec 27, 2006

Not quite as powerful as timelord
Can anyone recommend some good books on masculinity? Specifically what I'm looking for are takes on hegemonic masculinity, preferably as modern as possible, and ways to think about the concept. I would also really love anything that discusses the consequences of having an 'ideal' masculinity in society.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Ms. Happiness posted:

I'm a newcomer in the whole global warming debate. I was discussing whether or not it's a real phenomena with another wonderful goon. Could anybody recommend me a book that's -fairly- unbiased showing comparing and contrasting whether or not global warming is actually happening?

I asked this same question a while ago but never got a recommendation. The only thing I could find on Amazon that seems unbiased is Global Warming: The Complete Briefing, but that is really more of a textbook. Has anyone read this?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 22, 2016

Neutron Bandit
Apr 28, 2008

Hello, friends! I am in a learning mood and I would like to know more about CHINA

I am mainly interested in summary books that cover Mao's Revolution up to modern China. A book that covers their "relationship" with Taiwan. One that talks about their government in an unbiased light. It should cover the Tibet controversy too, perhaps.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
It pretty blatantly takes sides, but Mao: The Unknown Story is a very well-researched history of Mao and China under his rule. It has a bunch on his relationship with Chiang Kai-shek and Taiwan, too.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I am looking for a good, interesting book about World War 1. Any suggestions?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

sheri posted:

The Guns of August. It only covers up to the first few months, but boy is it thorough.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 22, 2016

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

sheri posted:

I found the creatively titled World War I by S.L.A. Marshall to be a solid survey of the entire war. Europe's Last Summer covers the events and thinking that led up to the war and shares the blame around fairly evenly.

Hasseltkoffie
Nov 22, 2006
Something like Wolf in Shadow, or Gunslinger? Settings after some vaguely defined apocalyptic event, with some stuff left behind that means nothing to the protagonists, but is very recognisable to the readers is what I'm after. Already read BotNS too.

thanks

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I bought my father a book a while ago which was a collection of stories from the front lines, but I can't remember if it was World War 1 or 2.

It was written by a famous journalist, I believe? He interviewed the soldiers and compiled their stories.

It's quite an old book.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Free Weedlord posted:

Can anyone recommend some good books on masculinity? Specifically what I'm looking for are takes on hegemonic masculinity, preferably as modern as possible, and ways to think about the concept. I would also really love anything that discusses the consequences of having an 'ideal' masculinity in society.

Leo Braudy's From Chivalry to Terrorism examines western concepts of masculinity as informed by warfare/soldiers/violence.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Centipeed posted:

I bought my father a book a while ago which was a collection of stories from the front lines, but I can't remember if it was World War 1 or 2.

It was written by a famous journalist, I believe? He interviewed the soldiers and compiled their stories.

It's quite an old book.

Was it Stud Terkel's The Good War? That's about the second world war, but it's still a good read.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

barkingclam posted:

Was it Stud Terkel's The Good War? That's about the second world war, but it's still a good read.

It was indeed - thought it might be about the first world war, and make a good recommendation, since he enjoyed it, but no dice.

Thanks, though!

BrainToad
Dec 31, 2008

I'm looking for something sociological to read, specifically relating to the Internet or technology; studies, research, analysis, etc. I studied sociology in school but it has been awhile since I've read anything and am interested to see what's out there now. A big plus if its on Kindle.

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
Almost caught up with Barry Eisler's John Rain and Ben Treven series (starting on The Detachment tonight). Can anyone recommend an assassin series like John Rain? I figure the Bourne series would fit, but I'd like other recommendations, too.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

DominusDeus posted:

Can anyone recommend an assassin series like John Rain?

I have a feeling there are tons of Rain-like books out there, but I don't know the genre that well. An excellent series with an assassin as a main character is Thomas Perry's Butcher's Boy books, which aren't nearly as tech-heavy as the Rain books, but are much better written.

Lord Sandwich
Nov 5, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've come up with my summer reading project: I'd like read as many biographies of American presidents as possible (going in order). Recommend away! Ideally, no autobiographies or anything grossly partisan.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Lord Sandwich posted:

I've come up with my summer reading project: I'd like read as many biographies of American presidents as possible (going in order). Recommend away! Ideally, no autobiographies or anything grossly partisan.

Edmund Morris' three-volume set on Teddy Roosevelt would be a great go-to presidential biography. Starts with Theodore Rising, then Theodore Rex, then Colonel Roosevelt.

He also did a biography of Ronald Reagan but that one he partially fictionalized for some unknown reason.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Lord Sandwich posted:

Half of these I haven't read, but I'll link to reviews and you can decide.

John Adams by David McCullough.

Madison and Jefferson by Andrew Burstein and Nancy Isenberg

Polk: The Man Who Transformed the Presidency and America by By Walter R. Borneman (excerpt)

Henry Clay - The Essential American by David S. Heidler & Jeanne T. Heidler. Not a president, but a very influential politician whose hawkish personality embodied the 19th century USA.

Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin. Focuses on Lincoln's expert management of his cabinet. Better than I make it sound.

The Fiery Trial by Eric Foner. Traces Lincoln's thinking about slavery over the course of his life.

Impeached: The Trial of President Andrew Johnson and the Fight for Lincoln's Legacy by David O Stewart. A central, controversial figure of reconstruction.

The President and the Assassin: McKinley, Terror, and Empire by Scott Miller. Not so much biography, but a portrait of the people involved in an event that heavily foreshadowed contemporary terrorism and the US response to it.

The Wilderness Warrior-Theodore Roosevelt and the Crusade for America by Douglas Brinkley.

Traitor to His Class: The Privileged Life and Radical Presidency of Franklin Delano Roosevelt by HW Brands.

Eisenhower: The White House Years by Jim Newton

Truman by David McCullough.

The Best and the Brightest by David Halberstam. Profiles JFK and his administration, and how their hubris led to the escalation of the war in Vietnam.

Nixonland by Rick Perlstein. Sprawling history showing how Nixon permanently affected the political discourse in the USA.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Lord Sandwich posted:

Thomas DeFrank's Write It When I'm Dead, which is a series of interviews conducted with Gerald Ford over a number of years, is really good, although it's not a straight-up biography.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Any books like Catch-22, I am nearly done with it. It's one of the few humor books I read that made me laugh out loud while reading. It's completely nonsensical but there is a lot behind the nonsense and madness. I don't mind if it's straight up comedy or satire either way. Thanks.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Ulio posted:

Any books like Catch-22, I am nearly done with it. It's one of the few humor books I read that made me laugh out loud while reading. It's completely nonsensical but there is a lot behind the nonsense and madness. I don't mind if it's straight up comedy or satire either way. Thanks.

Not much is exactly like Catch-22, it's a classic, but you might try some of Vonnegut's stuff -- Slaughterhouse Five, etc.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Ulio posted:

The Good Soldier Svejk would be right up your alley. It was an influence on Heller, too.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Ulio posted:

Lem's Memoirs Found in a Bathtub

And Vonnegut, of course.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Ulio posted:

Mohammed Hanif's A Crate of Exploding Mangoes has been described as a Pakistani Catch-22, if you have any interest in that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I've heard a lot about the Vonnegut stuff, also heard a bit about Good Soldier Svejk. Going to check out the other suggestions as well. Thanks.