Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

T-1000 posted:

Ok, it seems we're roughly on the same page, it just sounded like you were in favour of ignoring the pretty cool things since the guy you were disagreeing with said in full
(emphasis mine) Neglecting the context and just condemning it period seems a bit harsh considering that Clinton was trying to repeal the ban on gays in the military and DADT was the best compromise he could get. But it's probably better not to continue the derail.

We mostly are on the same page except for Clinton where I completely disagree with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

TheSpookyDanger posted:

We mostly are on the same page except for Clinton where I completely disagree with you.
Do you think it's more likely that, without Clinton's efforts, gays would have been able to serve openly in the military, or they would have been subject to the same investigation and drumming out as occurred before DADT?

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Strudel Man posted:

Do you think it's more likely that, without Clinton's efforts, gays would have been able to serve openly in the military, or they would have been subject to the same investigation and drumming out as occurred before DADT?

I think it is more likely that had Clinton really stepped up it wouldn't have take so long for the events we are just now seeing in the American military to take place. Sure, it is better that he something rather than nothing, but I still think he half-assed it in the name of political expediency.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

TheSpookyDanger posted:

I think it is more likely that had Clinton really stepped up it wouldn't have take so long for the events we are just now seeing in the American military to take place. Sure, it is better that he something rather than nothing, but I still think he half-assed it in the name of political expediency.
It just seems odd to me to condemn someone who makes a positive change, even if the change isn't as far-ranging as we would like. If you believed he was actively holding back a popular change, that's one thing, but if he had to fight to get even as much as he did...

downout
Jul 6, 2009

TheSpookyDanger posted:

What did he half-rear end? I'm confused about what he should have done to end discrimination based on sexual orientation in the military.

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

So the guy that wrote the long, tearful salute to Reagan on 100th birthday wrote another letter in praise of Bush.

I got as far as...

quote:

George W. Bush, a former military fighter pilot,

...before instantly closing my browser.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Kubrick posted:

So the guy that wrote the long, tearful salute to Reagan on 100th birthday wrote another letter in praise of Bush.

I got as far as...

...before instantly closing my browser.

Wanna post the whole thing? I need my daily dose of completely wrong about everything.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
But did he not fly? I thought he did.

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

Yes, he was a part-time reservist in the Texas Air National guard, but why say that when you can just say military fighter pilot.

Here is the whole thing. It's basically American history if it was printed in a boy's adventure novella.

quote:

America...where'd your spine go?

There was a time when Americans could justifiably take pride in their Presidents, because America has had, at times, some serious bad-rear end Presidents who stood tall, spoke their mind and meant what they said. These were men who made the world spin just a little differently on it's axis, and no one wanted to mess with us when they were in the White House.

President Andrew Jackson was such a man. He began his career as a militia officer who excelled at solving "Indian problems" in the American South. Basically, when Indians got out of line and killed settlers, Jackson went down and whipped their asses until the survivors had enough and promised to behave or move west. Then he led a volunteer band from Tennessee and Kentucky down to New Orleans, assembled a pick-up crew that included farmers, shopkeepers, riverboatmen, naval sailors whose ships were sunk, freed blacks, and even pirates, and he cleaned the clocks of a professional British invasion force at Chalmette, Louisiana, killing over 2,000 of them for a loss of about 12-14 Americans.

When not killing Indians or the British, Jackson fought duels with pistols, suffering two serious gunshot wounds himself as a result of these fights but also killing one his opponents in return. He was also the subject of the first assassination attempt against a US President with a crazy house painter by the name of Richard Lawrence ran up and tried to shoot him with two pistols, both of which misfired. Jackson then proceeded to beat Lawrence near to death with his hickory cane before others intervened. How do you not admire a man like that? Even his inauguration was such a rowdy affair when his former soldiers and other frontier supporters showed up at the White House that the White House was nearly destroyed after the free booze caused things to get out of hand. Old Hickory was a President that no one here or abroad ever wanted to mess with.

A bit later, we had Theodore Roosevelt. He was an accomplished big-game hunter, a boxer, and a military man who, among other things, assembled a volunteer cavalry unit made up of cowboys and the upper-crust of Yale and Harvard's sports teams, and led them to Cuba where they kicked Spanish butt all the way up San Juan Hill and back down the other side. "Speak softly but carry a big stick," he said. And America did just that. He brought a lot of Central America under control and got the Panama Canal built. He was a man's man and no one wanted to mess with him. Like Jackson before him, he was the subject of an assassination attempt while campaigning in 1912. A man named John Schrank shot him on the chest, but Roosevelt decided that he was not in any danger of dying from the wound since he wasn't coughing up blood, so he went on to deliver his campaign speech, speaking for 90 minutes while bleeding.

Following World War Two, America elected it's former Supreme Commander in Europe, Five-Star General Dwight D. Eisenhower, to the Presidency. Again, this man knew how to take care of business. Graduating West Point in 1911, he rose to the General Staff by the time that the US entered the Second World War and his decisions helped bring it to a successful conclusion. He went on to become the first Supreme Commander of NATO, and as President, he was responsible for the development of both our nuclear weapons program and our rise to the challenges of the Space race. He gave is the interstate highway system that we all know and use today (Originally intended to help move military traffic across the country quickly) and he implemented the Eisenhower Doctrine, under which the US would be prepared to respond with force against any aggression committed by a communist country. And the world understood that he wasn't playing.

And then there was President Ronald Reagan. He started out playing tough guys in the movies, and he ended up a real tough guy on the world stage, serving two terms as President. His credentials, like those before him, were not questioned by America's enemies. The Iranians had been punking America's prior president, Jimmy Carter, by holding our embassy staff hostage for 444 days. But they released them on the day that Reagan took office, because they knew that Reagan, unlike Carter, was a man who would have rolled up his sleeves and settled that Iranian problem with military muscle.

The eight years of the Reagan Presidency were bad years for communists and assorted bad guys everywhere.

He suppressed a communist-launched coup in Grenada, he called on Russia to tear down the Berlin Wall (and they did), he authorized US combat aircraft to intercept terrorists who had hijacked the cruise ship Achille Lauro and murdered US citizen Leon Klinghoffer, and he sent other combat aircraft to bomb targets in Libya in retaliation for Libyan President Khadaffi's support of other terrorist acts in Europe and the Middle East. Reagan's policies brought the Cold War with Russia to a stunning end as the Soviet economy collapsed, and he also brought about the fall of the Nicaraguan Communist government despite the best efforts of the Communists and the Democrats in Congress to stop him. Because of President Reagan, millions of people around the world knew freedom by the end of 1988.

America lost her way for a bit, as demonstrated by the election of Bill Clinton. Under Clinton, terrorists and dictators like Iraq's Saddam Hussein felt free to constantly kick our country in the nuts abroad and even here at home. The World Trade Center was bombed in 1993, and when nothing was done about it by the Clinton Administration, Osama bin Laden came back for another whack at it on September 11, 2001.

But he erred grievously, because America had just elected another President who was cut from better cloth. George W. Bush, a former military fighter pilot, took decisive action like a real man would. Afghanistan's terrorist-supporting Taliban was hit hard and Saddam Hussein was removed from power, brought to trial, and executed by the new democratically-elected government of Iraq.

I may not have cared for much of what President Bush did domestically during his time in office, but as Commander-in-Chief, he rocked.

So what do we have in office now, during a time when real leadership is required and our military is fighting two wars? Do we have a Jackson, a Roosevelt, an Eisenhower, a Reagan or even a Bush to make the tough decisions and support our troops? Do we have a man with a backbone, a firm jaw, and the first-hand understanding of what it means to fight?

No, we don't. We just have Obi Wan Ke-dopey

God help us.

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER
the homoeroticism...

should have sent a poet.

Angry Avocado
Jun 6, 2010

Kubrick posted:

Yes, he was a part-time reservist in the Texas Air National guard, but why say that when you can just say military fighter pilot.

Here is the whole thing. It's basically American history if it was printed in a boy's adventure novella.
You know, you still got pretty far before you closed your browser. :v:

GodlessCommie
Apr 4, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm pretty sure Iran didn't release the hostages because they were afraid of Reagan. And I'm also very sure the Soviet Union didn't collapse just because of Reagan. He wasn't loving Superman.

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

GodlessCommie posted:

I'm pretty sure Iran didn't release the hostages because they were afraid of Reagan. And I'm also very sure the Soviet Union didn't collapse just because of Reagan. He wasn't loving Superman.

SOURCE ON THIS??

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

GodlessCommie posted:

Am I the crazy political email for believing that Reagan did release those hostages? By undermining and directly negotiating with the Iranians while Carter was still president?

The only proof for this is the claim by an unearthed KGB document after the USSR collapsed that said that Reagan and his advisers met with Iranians a couple months before-hand in France. People've said that a ten-year-old document from the collapsing USSR is flimsy and unverifiable evidence, but the fact that the hostages were released the hour Reagan was inaugurated, and the ensuing years so many under-the-table arms deals for the Iranians makes it seem extremely likely that Reagan had been engaged in (treasonous) negotiations against the president's. Reagan's influence in the CIA also makes it seem quite possible to me.

Or I could be acting just like these loving emails, now.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

XyloJW posted:

Am I the crazy political email for believing that Reagan did release those hostages? By undermining and directly negotiating with the Iranians while Carter was still president?

The only proof for this is the claim by an unearthed KGB document after the USSR collapsed that said that Reagan and his advisers met with Iranians a couple months before-hand in France. People've said that a ten-year-old document from the collapsing USSR is flimsy and unverifiable evidence, but the fact that the hostages were released the hour Reagan was inaugurated, and the ensuing years so many under-the-table arms deals for the Iranians makes it seem extremely likely that Reagan had been engaged in (treasonous) negotiations against the president's. Reagan's influence in the CIA also makes it seem quite possible to me.

Or I could be acting just like these loving emails, now.

I was pretty much taught in school that it happened this way, or something like it - that whatever the exact reasons, it was pretty apparent that some political maneuvering had been done to get the hostages released only after Reagan became president.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Kubrick posted:

Wow, usually stuff like this either ignores or minimizes, rather than flat-out celebrates, Jackson's borderline genocidal treatment of native Americans.

Also, the Contras don't count as "assorted bad guys."

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

OrangeKing posted:

I was pretty much taught in school that it happened this way, or something like it - that whatever the exact reasons, it was pretty apparent that some political maneuvering had been done to get the hostages released only after Reagan became president.

I was taught the same. And my history teacher that year was fairly conservative, so it's not just those American-hating hippies who say this.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
I always assumed it was just the hippy, fringe conclusion. Okay, so, then, isn't that loving treason? Do people at large honestly accept that Reagan actually colluded with terrorists to hold hostages just a couple more months until he was inaugurated?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I think the Iranian captors just hated Carter and wanted to be dicks to him, taking even that little moment of glory from him. Had Reagan been the outgoing US President at that time, they'd have done the same to him, too, regardless of who was the successor.

If the other theory was true, you'd think the Iranians would have used it against Reagan later on. Or did they?

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Nenonen posted:

I think the Iranian captors just hated Carter and wanted to be dicks to him, taking even that little moment of glory from him. Had Reagan been the outgoing US President at that time, they'd have done the same to him, too, regardless of who was the successor.

If the other theory was true, you'd think the Iranians would have used it against Reagan later on. Or did they?

You mean like when Reagan sold Iran weapons so he could fund Central American death squads?

Revdomezehis
Jul 26, 2003
OMG a Moose!

XyloJW posted:

I always assumed it was just the hippy, fringe conclusion. Okay, so, then, isn't that loving treason? Do people at large honestly accept that Reagan actually colluded with terrorists to hold hostages just a couple more months until he was inaugurated?

They can accept it, people seem to like Reagan in the same way cultists love their leader. To anyone looking in from the outside it looks like madness, but to them it just makes sense that their guy is so super great and can do anything. I really can think of no other way to describe it.

Well that or just plain old American Apathy, same way we acknowledge but don't really care too much about every other evil thing our government has done.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Not exactly an email forward, but here's a lovely comment and resulting conversation I noticed from a kid I employed last summer.

It's so cute when high-school aged kids parrot what their parents say without understanding any of it.

Click here for the full 1045x1117 image.

There it is folks, this is the future.:stare:

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

TerminalSaint posted:

Not exactly an email forward, but here's a lovely comment and resulting conversation I noticed from a kid I employed last summer.

It's so cute when high-school aged kids parrot what their parents say without understanding any of it.

These are the kind of kids that argue that affirmative action is wrong and that "racism doesn't exist anymore" when they get to their intro-level college courses LIFE.

:ughh:

Logan 5 fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Feb 13, 2011

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

TerminalSaint posted:

This is why when you're going to be stupid and racist you should make sure you didn't friend your boss.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

TerminalSaint posted:

I'm thankful that I'm eligible for EU citizenship because of my Irish grandparents, but I shouldn't be having that opinion reinforced EVERY SINGLE DAY.

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

Kavak posted:

I'm thankful that I'm eligible for EU citizenship because of my Irish grandparents, but I shouldn't be having that opinion reinforced EVERY SINGLE DAY.

To be fair, there's racist nationalists in pretty much every country and they get elected in a bunch of them.

There's this politician in Sweden, Jimmie Åkesson, he's the leader of the Swedish Democratic Party, a nationalistic party that believes Immigrants are tearing the country apart and diluting the Swedish heritage. That party had MPs elected for the first time in the 2010 elections.

So yeah, it's a bit sad but even if you got a European citizenship, you'd still find racists next to you.

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

TerminalSaint posted:

fact when Bush wen on vacation, which he rarely did,

DrewkroDleman
May 17, 2008

SHAME.

Kavak posted:

I am thankful I have a German girlfriend and leaving within the month to go to a Masters program in Germany. Seriously. The year 2010 was the greatest year of recent memory for me and that's because I was in Germany and not in the States. Heres to three years of hearing about US politics through BBC and German news outlets.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

TerminalSaint posted:

The worst thing in that whole conversation is the constant "hahahaha". It's incessant and grating. The two people talking are just saying, "Hahahaha, look at the ridiculously terrible things we are saying, hahaha, and WE ARE SAYING IT IN PUBLIC! Hahahah, dum libs don't want people to believe terrible things, hahaha but we showed them because we are saying it on facebook! hahahah!!!"

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

downout posted:

The worst thing in that whole conversation is the constant "hahahaha". It's incessant and grating. The two people talking are just saying, "Hahahaha, look at the ridiculously terrible things we are saying, hahaha, and WE ARE SAYING IT IN PUBLIC! Hahahah, dum libs don't want people to believe terrible things, hahaha but we showed them because we are saying it on facebook! hahahah!!!"

hahahaha good thing no black kid showed up hahahha

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

I just came across a great FB conversation as well. Due to the nature of the friend, I'm just going to leave it as text. Seriously, where is this Code Pink stuff coming from?

Friend's Status: Congratulations to the Egyptians!
===

Idiot 1: you have got to be kidding??? Mubarak was an evil man, but will the Muslim Brotherhood be any better??? Remember Iran????
----
Friend: Reasonable response
----
Idiot 1: But who is organizing this??? The Muslim Brotherhood, Code Pink, anarchists, solcialists, communists ~ sounds like a good mix for stability

== More reasonable comments ensue ==

Idiot 2: "Egypt is free!" Until the Muslim Brotherhood and Code Pink make their move.
----
Idiot 3: No...will be anti-Jewish, hardliner Islamic and pro-Illuminati.

"World War III is to be fomented, using the so-called controversies; by the agents of the Illuminati operating under whatever new name; that are now being stored up between the political Zionists and the leaders of the Moslem world. That war is to be directed in such a manner that all of Islam and political Zionism (Israelis) will destroy each other while at the same time; the remaining nations, once more divided on this issue, will be forced to fight themselves into a state of complete exhaustion; physically, mentally, spiritually, and economically.
----
Idiot 2: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/feb/3/muslim-brotherhood-seeks-end-to-israel-treaty/

This was in 07'. What a coincidence or just common sense:
http://www.militantislammonitor.org/article/id/2671
----
Idiot 4: According to the ACLJ, There is no government where a radical Islamic faction had 20% control and within 5 years did not have complete control of the government. The Muslim Brotherhood is a terrorist organization - it's operating in the USA! - and it must not be allowed to make a power play in Egypt.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

ryanmfw posted:

----
Idiot 1: But who is organizing this??? The Muslim Brotherhood, Code Pink, anarchists, solcialists, communists ~ sounds like a good mix for stability

Code Pink? Aren't those the people at Berkeley who protest military recruiters? What the gently caress do they have to do with this?

I'm sure it's somehow tied to Glenn Beck.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

ryanmfw posted:

I just came across a great FB conversation as well. Due to the nature of the friend, I'm just going to leave it as text. Seriously, where is this Code Pink stuff coming from?

http://www.codepink4peace.org/article.php?id=5682

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Pfirti86 posted:

Glenn Beck.

Ding, ding, ding, ding. I'm not entirely sure why but I think Beck saw someone in a Code Pink shirt at one of the rallies in Egypt, then proceeded to declare that Code Pink had been present in Egypt prior to the outbreak of unrest. Obviously being a Soros backed extreme left-wing organisation the purpose of their being there was to destabilise the country (because left-wing types always want to destabilise governments, regardless of other politics or who the government is) and have cemented their natural alliance with Islamic Jihadists (who are clearly on the exact same political wavelengths as the left-wing, as evidenced by the fact that there was an arab leader who had an alliance with Hitler, one step away from Soros himself).

Basically he saw a Code Pink shirt in Egypt and swiftly departed anything you could recognise as reality. It's seriously to the point where conservative writers are having to actually say, "Ok he's popular and says some good things but, seriously, this guy is crazy."

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

TerminalSaint posted:

Anyone else notice the "if it were a democrat senator in AZ that had been shoot by a REPUBLICAN" part? They can't even get the most basic facts of current events straight. Some serious :foxnews: poo poo here.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

MrNemo posted:

Basically he saw a Code Pink shirt in Egypt and swiftly departed anything you could recognise as reality. It's seriously to the point where conservative writers are having to actually say, "Ok he's popular and says some good things but, seriously, this guy is crazy."

That's the one thing that always been really funny about these conservative chain mails: they love making their enemies way more important than they actually are.

So, a left-leaning anti-war organization with 500 members when put through the scope of Beck-o-vision suddenly becomes a monolithic entity with massive influence in every last branch of government.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Not an email, but I got a call from a guy who wanted to just talk about how stupid the stimulus bill was, etc, and went on for about 10 minutes with him telling me

None of the companies paid back the money the got from the stimulus.
Most of those companies are still borrowing money from the government.
Why does Obama want to cut $100 billion when he still has trillions to spend on the budget this year?

He then started asking me about the federal budget, saying that Neil Cavuto on Fox said blah blah blah and expected me to know everything.
Him: "Have you read the budget yet?"
Me: "No, I haven't, when was it released?"
"YESTERDAY! That's your job right? To read that? How do I get a copy of the federal budget? Do I call my senator?"
"Sir, I don't know. Is there someone here you'd like to talk to specifically?"
"Well apparently I'm not talking to the right person!" and he hung up.

I'm trying to remember now though, is there a list of who actually did pay off their debts? I made the mistake of saying "I thought at least some of the big companies paid off their stimulus" but he started ranting about tarp funds or some poo poo.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

crime fighting hog posted:

Not an email, but I got a call from a guy who wanted to just talk about how stupid the stimulus bill was, etc, and went on for about 10 minutes with him telling me

None of the companies paid back the money the got from the stimulus.
Most of those companies are still borrowing money from the government.
Why does Obama want to cut $100 billion when he still has trillions to spend on the budget this year?

He then started asking me about the federal budget, saying that Neil Cavuto on Fox said blah blah blah and expected me to know everything.
Him: "Have you read the budget yet?"
Me: "No, I haven't, when was it released?"
"YESTERDAY! That's your job right? To read that? How do I get a copy of the federal budget? Do I call my senator?"
"Sir, I don't know. Is there someone here you'd like to talk to specifically?"
"Well apparently I'm not talking to the right person!" and he hung up.

I'm trying to remember now though, is there a list of who actually did pay off their debts? I made the mistake of saying "I thought at least some of the big companies paid off their stimulus" but he started ranting about tarp funds or some poo poo.

I think he's talking about the bailout bill (or TARP). That's totally different from the stimulus, and was passed by GWB (though also voted for by both Obama and McCain).

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Blarghalt posted:

That's the one thing that always been really funny about these conservative chain mails: they love making their enemies way more important than they actually are.

So, a left-leaning anti-war organization with 500 members when put through the scope of Beck-o-vision suddenly becomes a monolithic entity with massive influence in every last branch of government.

See also: New Black Panther Party, ACORN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

crime fighting hog posted:

Not an email, but I got a call from a guy who wanted to just talk about how stupid the stimulus bill was...

Where do you work that these people call you?

I take potential case inquires at a law firm and I have gotten these calls before but they are usually also schizophrenics that want to sue the government for reading their thoughts.

I was also stuck on a plane with a man who didn't see the irony that he was screaming at me about Obama's spending and the fact that he has liens on his house because of his credit card debt.