Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
Does anyone know how long a second of cassette tape is in a standard tape player?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

Does anyone know how long a second of cassette tape is in a standard tape player?

About a second, when played at normal speed.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

1 7/8 inches per second per wikipedia. Assuming you mean audio cassette tape and not reel to reel.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Jonny Nox posted:

1 7/8 inches per second per wikipedia. Assuming you mean audio cassette tape and not reel to reel.

Thanks! Appreciate it. I was probably wording my search poorly. As an aside, has "cassette tape" ever been used to refer to reel to reel tape?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
maybe but it wouldn't be correct

in the music context, the word cassette refers specifically to this kind of tape

more generally, a little box / case

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Also I forgot you had specified cassette tape when I answered

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
How do I get expression pedal MIDI into my computer if none of my devices have an exp pedal input?

I'm getting tired of drawing swells and things into the DAW, so I'd like to use my foot instead, but I don't have a way of getting the expression pedal into the drat thing.

I see you can buy standalone boxes to convert the data (eg some kinda Kenton box), but I'm a bit leery of having ANOTHER doohickey around that just serves one function in my current (portable) setup, and don't have a great amount of money anyway.

Looking for either a cheap solution to get the expression pedal in - I have midi inputs and USB slots and that's about it - or alternatively devices that run <$150 on the used market that aren't primarily for this purpose, but would transmit expression pedal data over USB midi. So synths, guitar pedals, what-have-you.

Has anyone had success with this kinda thing?

I can get a Zoom G3n nearby for a great price, and it has an exp pedal jack. The website says it has 'USB MIDI' but no actual details on the implementation. So if anyone has one of those pedals and can chime in on whether it transmits the exp pedal data over USB MIDI, that would be a massive help.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
FL Studio lets you use game controllers as MIDI devices so I fooled around with using the pedals from my steering wheel as expression pedals. It worked well enough for fooling-around purposes but I didn't get deep enough into it to see how linear or responsive it was. One obvious problem is that they have springs to return to zero so no e.g. cocked-wah effects.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

https://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpression.php
http://www.tecontrol.se/products/usb-midi-pedal-controller

These seem compact and priced reasonably.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

Hey, thank you, these look like exactly what I'm looking for! The one with 4 inputs is giving me some very impractical and fun ideas. Much obliged!

Anime Reference posted:

FL Studio lets you use game controllers as MIDI devices so I fooled around with using the pedals from my steering wheel as expression pedals. It worked well enough for fooling-around purposes but I didn't get deep enough into it to see how linear or responsive it was. One obvious problem is that they have springs to return to zero so no e.g. cocked-wah effects.

That's pretty nifty! I guess depending on the resistance of the pedals it'd be tricky keeping the pedals depressed at one particular value, but it's still cool. Maybe there's a flight joystick out there without return-to-center? Or you could rig up some kind of gear change peripheral to serve the purpose. Fun!

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

I found this in a thrift shop today for $40. Knowing nothing about dulcimers I was wondering if you guys know where I can find any resources for it. It's a 6 string which seems to be fairly uncommon although I imagine it's played like a 3 string just with 3 pairs. I play violin and mandolin (poorly) so I'm familiar with the concept.

It's a little beat up with that big scratch along the body and some chips here and there but structurally it seems pretty sound. I don't know anything about dulcimer construction but it seems pretty "rough" like it was hand-made.

A neat little detail, this sticker was inside, which I'm guessing is the guy it was made by or for? The town is a tiny village of like 200 people near Lansing, MI so it's not like it's a thriving hub of music instrument production.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I play some mountain dulcimer. They're basically all hand-made.

You normally play with a noter and a turkey feather, but a slide and a pick (or just your fingers) also work. Generally you tune DAD or DAA, so in your case DDAADD or DDAAAA. You can finger the entire fretboard but traditional players only note on the melody string (the low Ds) and let the other two ring. If you want to play in a different key, tune differently!

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I play some mountain dulcimer. They're basically all hand-made.

You normally play with a noter and a turkey feather, but a slide and a pick (or just your fingers) also work. Generally you tune DAD or DAA, so in your case DDAADD or DDAAAA. You can finger the entire fretboard but traditional players only note on the melody string (the low Ds) and let the other two ring. If you want to play in a different key, tune differently!

I ordered a noter from Amazon, I've got some picks for my mandolin which should suffice. I found dulcimer.net, are there any other online resources you'd recommend?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I'm looking into starting violin as an adult, my prospective instructor has directed me to sharmusic.com but I'm not sure where to start in terms of getting something that will serve me for a good while. Any suggestions on brand choice?

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

does anyone here have any experience with theremins?

i just picked up an etherwave, and while i've been able to tune the pitch antenna pretty easily, the volume loop is acting in a way i didn't expect, and i'm not sure if it's me or the theremin and googling it hasn't really helped. basically, the distance it takes to ramp from silent to full volume seems extremely small and turning the volume knob does nothing until i get it past 1 o'clock, at which point it puts a loud spot a few inches away from the loop that has quiet stuff past it (so instead of a smooth ramp up to a maximum volume as you move your hand away, there's a hard jump from silence and then a slight ramp up from and back down to a medium volume).

i would normally assume it's just me not understanding it, but i had to open it up and resolder the pitch antenna's connector, so i'm worried that something is up because i've never seen this behavior in videos of them.

edit: oh, wait, continued googling leads me to think i need to make an internal adjustment to the volume circuit. so i guess instead my question is if anyone has advice for adjusting L11 inside one of these suckers

CaptainViolence fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 12, 2019

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Not sure if we have a dedicated Pro Tools thread. If so, and someone points me to it, I will move this there.

So I am trying tempo-mapping for the first time, and I can find tons of YouTube tutorials for doing it, and even the process itself is simple:

- tab to transient where beat 1 is
- Cmd-I to insert a bar/beat marker.

That's all well and good, except there's a problem: first, despite many oblique references that you can use this method with both audio and MIDI tracks, I can't seem to find a single example of doing it with a MIDI track, so I realize that may be the source of my issue, which is this:

I find Bar 1, Beat 1 and insert a marker. Great. PT computes the difference in tempo from the starting tempo. So let's say I started at 160bpm. As of Bar 1, PT says 158.3402. So I tab forward until I hit Bar 2 Beat 1, insert another marker. For some reason the tempo halves. So now it says the tempo from bar 1 to bar 2 is 78.245. If I add a bar 3, same thing. it keeps halving the tempo every time and I can't figure out why.

I can't see anything I am doing differently form the examples I am watching, aside from the fact that I am using a MIDI track and the examples are using Audio.

Any suggestions?

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
I've been using Hookpad as a tool for rapid composition/messing around with chord progressions for a little while now.

I was wondering if anyone knows of an equivalent in android app form?

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
I picked up a cheap Ibanez, and a couple of pedals, I’m using balanced 1/4 cables since that’s all I got when I was buying recording gear. Do pedals usually need an unbalanced cable to get power? Cursory google is telling me that this is probably my problem. The pedal works if I hold the cable 1/2-3/4 the way into the guitar. I haven’t played an electric guitar for years, and when I did I never used balanced cables

I already ordered unbalanced cables, but I was surprised this could be a problem.

E: seems to me that it’s getting the power into the pedal that’s the problem. All of my cables work fine going straight from guitar to amp. Maybe if I was using an external power source but I’m just using battery

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 22, 2019

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
If the jack is set up to cut the battery out of the circuit if there's no cable plugged in then it might not work correctly with TRS plugs.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Anime Reference posted:

If the jack is set up to cut the battery out of the circuit if there's no cable plugged in then it might not work correctly with TRS plugs.

Ok yeah that makes sense. As soon as it worked when I had the cable partially into the guitar the dots started to connect.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I downloaded Reaper, does it have synths for orchestral music?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Schneider Heim posted:

I downloaded Reaper, does it have synths for orchestral music?

No.

but:
(optional) get Sforzando https://www.plogue.com/products/sforzando.html
download a library here: https://vis.versilstudios.com/vsco-community.html (not all of these are .sfz. some are Kontakt libraries. The Bigcat download is a .vst standalone. read the descriptions)

There's probably other ones, but that's a pretty good start.

edit: I may be jumping the gun a bit. do you know what a .vst is?

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 22, 2019

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I have an SM57 microphone running into a Scarlett 18i20. I want to use this combo for recording some tutorial/educational videos, but I find that even with the gain cranked I can barely get a response from the SM57 unless I'm eating that microphone. That's fine for streaming or recording a podcast- since it gives a drat fine bass response- but if I'm recording a video I'm likely going to be a few feet away. Is this normal? Do I just have to respond by cranking the gain in Ableton (+ using compression and EQ) to compensate for the distance?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

It's a 'quirk' of the Scarlett's preamps that the gain range doesn't quite cover low efficiency (ie most dynamic) microphones. But if turning up the gain in software gives you the signal strength and quality you need, that's ok. Otherwise you're looking at a cheap efficient condenser microphone, a cloudlifter or (a different interface with) a preamp with a wider range.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Ahh- thanks for that. No one ever really explained to me why pre-amps were recommended even when using the Scarlett- particularly since FocusRite boasts about the built in mic pre amp.

Unfortunately a pre-amp + cloudlifter is probably a little out of my price range at present- will have to make do with an in-box software solution and consider upgrading if/when a video blows up.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Either another preamp or the cloudlifter would do. You wouldn't need both.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
To be honest a cheap condenser with phantom power will help you immensely. The reason we use 57's on 100 db+ sound sources is because they have big heavy diaphragms that need a lot of power to move, and they don't distort. AKG makes some very nice cheap condensers. This will do ya for voice overs no problem. https://reverb.com/p/akg-perception-220-silver

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Oh, and as far as just bumping up the level in software goes, I recommend getting intimate with the workings of a dynamic expander plugin to keep noise levels sane.

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

Can anyone recommend a free realtime pitch display program or vst for PC?
I'm learning the double bass and it would be great to have a reference.
Have microphones daw etc. Phone tuner doesnt really do what I'm after - doesnt handle the low frequencies well enough or fast enough.

E: GVST seems to have a plugin that will do the job. Sorry, not lazy just stupid. I keep assuming technology is a million miles advanced from where I left off.

Perpetual Hiatus fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jun 11, 2019

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Flipperwaldt posted:

Oh, and as far as just bumping up the level in software goes, I recommend getting intimate with the workings of a dynamic expander plugin to keep noise levels sane.

I will be honest- I've been producing electronic music and recording bass for years. But aside from vocal quips pitched down 6 semitones for techno, which hardly requires good vocal recording quality, I don't know squat about vocal processing chains. So any recommendations/resources you have on this would be fabulous.

Pokey Araya posted:

To be honest a cheap condenser with phantom power will help you immensely. The reason we use 57's on 100 db+ sound sources is because they have big heavy diaphragms that need a lot of power to move, and they don't distort. AKG makes some very nice cheap condensers. This will do ya for voice overs no problem. https://reverb.com/p/akg-perception-220-silver

I will consider this avenue as well- unfortunately $350 CAD doesn't exactly qualify as cheap. At least if I go the cloudlifter/pre-amp route, I will also have some more general purpose hardware useful for many purposes.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Jonny Nox posted:

No.

but:
download a library here: https://vis.versilstudios.com/vsco-community.html (not all of these are .sfz. some are Kontakt libraries. The Bigcat download is a .vst standalone. read the descriptions)

thanks for this!!! i've been hunting for some decent free orchestral sounds for weeks and this is perfect.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Jonny Nox posted:

No.

but:

I do now! I switched to FL Studio and it's a bit easier for me.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
how do i get into playing bossa nova? my focus is percussion, guitar and bass but i'll take all the info i can get!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
-snip-

Moved to a better thread.

Annath fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 16, 2019

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Vintage audio gear thread is in the Inspect Your Gadgets subforum, for what it's worth.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Flipperwaldt posted:

Vintage audio gear thread is in the Inspect Your Gadgets subforum, for what it's worth.

Oh, thanks, I'll move it oved there.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

how do i get into playing bossa nova? my focus is percussion, guitar and bass but i'll take all the info i can get!

from a guitarist's perspective, trickiest thing is learning the jazz chord voicings, and there are lots. but you gotta start somewhere. which song do you want to play?

more generally: listen to a bunch, play along with recordings. look up and practice any chord voicings that are new to you.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Annath posted:

Oh, thanks, I'll move it oved there.

from a quick look around that EBD circuit basically actively boosts the bass to give XTREME LOW END (should be some buttons like "Crisp" and whatever) so I'm guessing the meter is telling you what the output level is, right up to OVERLOAD (which is bad)

so nah it probably doesn't matter, if they light up when you crank it but not at normal volumes, it's probably just not registering as worth mentioning on the meter. So long as it sounds good eh

looks like those speakers are also kind of a niche thing with some big fans

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Helianthus Annuus posted:

from a guitarist's perspective, trickiest thing is learning the jazz chord voicings, and there are lots. but you gotta start somewhere. which song do you want to play?

more generally: listen to a bunch, play along with recordings. look up and practice any chord voicings that are new to you.

i want to make my own, mostly. but i really dig this song, for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV561v6FX4A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

baka kaba posted:

from a quick look around that EBD circuit basically actively boosts the bass to give XTREME LOW END (should be some buttons like "Crisp" and whatever) so I'm guessing the meter is telling you what the output level is, right up to OVERLOAD (which is bad)

so nah it probably doesn't matter, if they light up when you crank it but not at normal volumes, it's probably just not registering as worth mentioning on the meter. So long as it sounds good eh

looks like those speakers are also kind of a niche thing with some big fans

Interesting, thanks for the info. I'm surprised that it can actively do anything, as the speakers don't have any power input, just speaker wire. But then again, I don't know much of anything about music equipment.

When you say they're niche/have a fan base, what do you mean?