Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I find sellers are often very cordial and warming to you when you correct and criticize their ads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

ThirstyBuck posted:

Crossposting.

2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650. 38K.

$2100 for everything

:vince:

Dang son, that's highway robbery! Last time I was in Iron Pony, they wanted ~4,000 for a completely stock Vstrom with almost 100k miles

Beautiful bike! I'm quite jealous

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

OSU_Matthew posted:

:vince:

Dang son, that's highway robbery! Last time I was in Iron Pony, they wanted ~4,000 for a completely stock Vstrom with almost 100k miles

Beautiful bike! I'm quite jealous

I've literally been waiting about 4 years for this deal to come along. In the interim I've been humping along on an old Honda NX250 and then a GS500. But you are correct, that bike bone stock here normally goes for $4000.

I'm in disbelief that I got it. I am normally the guy that gets the call on the way to see a car/bike with "yeah sombunny just shewd up and offered me $25 dolla more for it so I sold it. It's gone."

NOT TOFUCKINGDAY.

E: Iron Pony?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

ThirstyBuck posted:

E: Iron Pony?

Iron Pony.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

ThirstyBuck posted:

NOT TOFUCKINGDAY.

Again, an amazing deal. As a mild precaution, I think you should entertain/consider/noodle the possibility that the bike was down on the right side at some point. It's certainly not a deal breaker, doesn't take the bloom off the rose, and it could be argued that this model was purpose-built to be dropped. As Z3n pointed out, the pegs seem to be an odd choice--I wouldn't classify these as an upgrade, really, considering the stock ones were pretty beefy. When I combine this with the MC reservoir cover, I begin thinking in terms of commonly rashed pieces. Then I picture someone hyperventilating while waiting on hold for JC Whitney (doubtful these were added solely for cosmetic enhancement--not like the bike needed a splash of gold just there and there.) Then I begin to suspect newish things like the pipe, bark busters, etc. The bag would certainly have been munched, but it may not have been there at the time, who knows. Possible driveway tip-over. Possibly nothing at all. For all I know, he threw in the pristine stock parts and this is all BS. Just make sure it tracks straight, etc. You know what you're doing.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Marv Hushman posted:

Again, an amazing deal. As a mild precaution, I think you should entertain/consider/noodle the possibility that the bike was down on the right side at some point. It's certainly not a deal breaker, doesn't take the bloom off the rose, and it could be argued that this model was purpose-built to be dropped. As Z3n pointed out, the pegs seem to be an odd choice--I wouldn't classify these as an upgrade, really, considering the stock ones were pretty beefy. When I combine this with the MC reservoir cover, I begin thinking in terms of commonly rashed pieces. Then I picture someone hyperventilating while waiting on hold for JC Whitney (doubtful these were added solely for cosmetic enhancement--not like the bike needed a splash of gold just there and there.) Then I begin to suspect newish things like the pipe, bark busters, etc. The bag would certainly have been munched, but it may not have been there at the time, who knows. Possible driveway tip-over. Possibly nothing at all. For all I know, he threw in the pristine stock parts and this is all BS. Just make sure it tracks straight, etc. You know what you're doing.

Why the gently caress are you psychoanalyzing a 40k mile Vstrom? Yeah, gonna go ahead and hazard a guess a bike like that has seen a scuff or two? It's 2g's. Who gives a fuuuuck.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Why the gently caress are you psychoanalyzing a 40k mile Vstrom? Yeah, gonna go ahead and hazard a guess a bike like that has seen a scuff or two? It's 2g's. Who gives a fuuuuck.

Reminds me, how's the Adult Literacy Program down at the community center coming along?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Spring time and people are clearing out their sheds :getin:

:krad:

EDIT: haha, it's the same dude for both bikes.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 8, 2015

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.

$4,498

This Honda has been listed for 6 months now at this price. Is there something about this model that is unattractive? Or are the small amount of miles for a '07 suspicious?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

The color is ugly.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

mrlego posted:

$4,498

This Honda has been listed for 6 months now at this price. Is there something about this model that is unattractive? Or are the small amount of miles for a '07 suspicious?

Cycle trader has a 2012 with 7k miles for $5500 and a new one for $6335 so that seems kind of steep.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

mrlego posted:

This Honda has been listed for 6 months now at this price.

Market saturation. If you actually want one, consider the ACE instead, and pay no more than 3K. Unless you need that much swoop in the fenders. I think the only material differences between the two might be final drive and EFI, depending on the model year.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/4961493560.html

2002 KTM 300 exc for $1750, this has to be a scam, right?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Dutymode posted:

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/4961493560.html

2002 KTM 300 exc for $1750, this has to be a scam, right?

No, that seems pretty reasonable. Budget for a complete rebuild though, who knows how good that dude's rebuild was.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Shimrod posted:

You should tell your friend to remove the "great beginner bike" from his ad .. it's not.

I had some movers come to my apartment, and one eyed my SV650 SF and said, "Nice gixxer!" He told me he had an R6 as his first bike, but he was going to get something bigger after about 4 months.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

:/

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ReelBigLizard posted:

Spring time and people are clearing out their sheds :getin:

No kidding! :v:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/mcy/4971501580.html

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Uh, dibs on the Elsinore.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

That might be worth driving up to Seattle for!
:homebrew:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I'm not pursuing this bike, but it looks pretty interesting.

http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/mcy/4982364062.html

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
To those of you who were skulking around Portland (Oregon, sorry EX250) wishing you had ten grand to drop on a rare Italian sportbike with assfans, well, here:

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2005-Benelli-Tornado-TRE-113621583

I was wondering why this hilarious bike was at the top of my saved listings on Cycle Trader; it's been for sale for like a year, but for just under 10 large. But they've called your bluff, and dropped the price by 2 goddamn thousand dollars, which actually makes it almost reasonable. Those of you who were in the market for an FZ-09 can now...well, I guess you should probably stay the course.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
That bike is worth about 2.5k. I've seen them out here in that range because parts availability/dealerships that will work on them is just :laffo: unavailable.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Calling a bike with assfans on it the Tornado really makes it seem like something Seen On TV.

"Now with improved Twin Duct Velocity Modeling technology! This exclusive innovation is not available on any other motorbike! Something something Bernoulli something BAM! Call in the next 10 minutes!"

Then show a frustrated housewife throwing up her hands and highsiding into an SUV with a giant X across the screen.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Are you TIRED of all those COMPLICATED MOTORCYCLES?

(WAH WAAAAH)

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Hm, what is this? some kinda dual sport?

Lots of dials.

And two stroke it seems?

250cc, 46 horsies, 14L tank, 150kg wet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_TDR_250

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

What do you guys think of this for a potential flip?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
If you aren't learning to ride I dunno....what's the market like up in America's Hat?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Pretty much like the US with the added bonus of a 20-60% premium on reasonable used bikes and fewer of them.

Pretty rarely you see a clean pedestrian Ninja not go for $stupid$, only reason I'm thinking about it.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I really want to like the Ninja 500s but I sat on one a while back and they are utterly incompatible with my body shape. No problems with a 300 and a 900, just the 500.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I messaged the owner. I asked him if it has any issues (none mentioned in ad) and comes back with Yeah, it's got cosmetic issues and the seat is torn up pretty good (although you can see tape in the ad photos if you look).

Of course, no mention of it in the ad

"They don't build powerful bikes like these anymore" :stare:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/lethbridge/kawasaki-ninja-500:-discover-the-joy-of-riding/1069378686?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

Supradog posted:

Ultimate Dual
Thats a hell of a lot of money for a TDR, even by obscure two stroke prices. A similar condition one can be had in the UK for ~3K. Is there that much of a premium for old 2T bikes in Sweden?

Mine is pretty poo poo even on gravel roads and is surprisingly top heavy. I'm going to ditch the spokes and steel swingarm for an FZR swinger and TZR wheels.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Yeah, it's more a i've put lipstick on this pig and need to sell it, $$$$ invested price. I really doubt he'll get that much for it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

slidebite posted:

I messaged the owner. I asked him if it has any issues (none mentioned in ad) and comes back with Yeah, it's got cosmetic issues and the seat is torn up pretty good (although you can see tape in the ad photos if you look).

Of course, no mention of it in the ad

"They don't build powerful bikes like these anymore" :stare:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/lethbridge/kawasaki-ninja-500:-discover-the-joy-of-riding/1069378686?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Rode by it last night. It's rougher than the photos suggest. The front fairing is bent, it sits crooked on the bike. Pass even for a $1K bike.

Found this though:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-touring/leth...gationFlag=true

quote:

This is a clean machine. I have owned for the last 4 years and decided to make the move to a larger bike. This 07 C50T is as loaded as possible. It has highway bars with pegs, driver and passenger floorboards. Leather saddle bags with a rear luggage rack. The stereo rocks with 4 speakers and a 100 watt amp.
Must be a real treat waiting at a light next to this guy.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Must be a real treat waiting at a light next to this guy.

"Who's Lynyrd Skynyrd? Who's Lynyrd Skynyrd? I'll show those stupid kids, I'll show them all!"

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Skynyrd is playing Sturgis at our campsite this year. It's going to be so awful. I thought 'Crue was bad when we saw them, but I have no doubt Skynyrd will top it by a mile.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

clutchpuck posted:

Skynyrd is playing Sturgis at our campsite this year. It's going to be so awful.

Awful, but at least somewhat in context. Could be worse. Yes, it's time once again for me to haul out that monument to juxtaposition, Elton John as the surprise headliner at the HD 100th Anniversary Bash in 2003.

One account: http://onmilwaukee.com/music/articles/eltonjohnredux.html

One photo grabbed from a fan-produced DVD the moment the narrator mentions it was Elton:

GODDAMMIT, WHY CAN'T THERE BE FOOTAGE OF THE CROWD SINGING TINY DANCER?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Okay, so maybe I've been painting without a mask too much of late, or maybe I've spent waaaaay too long looking at all the sweet grey market formerly forbidden fruit that haunts the local roads, but...

How absolutely awful an idea would it be to try to import a bunch of never-sold-in-Canada bikes? I'd mainly be looking at the pretty poorly served middleweight adventure bike segment - XTZ660 Tenere, Honda Transalp/Africa Twin, or maybe smaller sport bikes that would fit under the 400cc insurance bump. Basically anything interesting that either sold like 3 copies here and kept being sold elsewhere for a long time, or things that were never available here.

Maybe I should just stop looking at ebay.co.uk :sigh:

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

Simkin posted:

Okay, so maybe I've been painting without a mask too much of late, or maybe I've spent waaaaay too long looking at all the sweet grey market formerly forbidden fruit that haunts the local roads, but...

How absolutely awful an idea would it be to try to import a bunch of never-sold-in-Canada bikes? I'd mainly be looking at the pretty poorly served middleweight adventure bike segment - XTZ660 Tenere, Honda Transalp/Africa Twin, or maybe smaller sport bikes that would fit under the 400cc insurance bump. Basically anything interesting that either sold like 3 copies here and kept being sold elsewhere for a long time, or things that were never available here.

Where abouts in Canada are you?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Simkin posted:

Import for onwards sale? Probably an absolutely terrible idea - if there was a demand for them people would already be importing them on the grey market (the 400cc sportsbike grey market used to be *huge* in the UK), so either you'll be left sitting on a load of stock you can't move (and on which you've already paid import duty and all the other costs associated with getting them on the road) or you'll be instantly undercut by people doing it themselves if you try to JIT it.

Now if it's for personal use, I'd imagine that the pain in the arse of getting an import registered would be worth the payoff of getting a bike you really really want. Then you might be able to get yourself a little sideline of helping people import bikes they want imported for a small commission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Yeah, it was more that, just spiraling out from personal interest in owning something fun and off-roady that isn't a KLR/XR/V-Strom, and wasn't as prone to raping my wallet like a KTM or BMW. I'm in Vancouver, so at least there's a port to ship to.