Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
For the longest time I thought I just didn't like Martinis, but it turns out i just really loving hate olives. I stumbled across some posts waaaaaay earlier in the thread and tried making one with 4:1~6:1 gin:vermouth, a dash of orange bitters, and a lemon twist, and holy poo poo that was delicious. I hit the middle ground and used 5:1, and it was fantastic.

gently caress olives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I'm kind of in a cocktail rut. I almost only ever order sazeracs or old fashioneds, and need to try something new. I have access to fantastic bartenders. What should I try.

Try some variations on the Manhattan. Still very boozy but adding one or two additional ingredients gives you a lot more options. I really like the Greenpoint, Remember the Maine and the Bensonhurst. As a rule adding Chartreuse to anything is a good move.There is also a Negroni style variation called the Black Rider that is awesome because it's named after the Tom Waits album but also tastes very good.

1 oz brandy ( a fruity Spanish one is preferred)
1 oz Mezcal
0.75 oz Cynar

Check out what this guy wrote about it:
http://and1morefortheroad.blogspot.com/2013/07/the-black-rider.html

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Good suggestions, thanks.

Wachepti has literally listed all of my favorite cocktails. Sans Negroni, but I am a weird dude and really like lemon peels fwiw.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

CodfishCartographer posted:

For the longest time I thought I just didn't like Martinis, but it turns out i just really loving hate olives. I stumbled across some posts waaaaaay earlier in the thread and tried making one with 4:1~6:1 gin:vermouth, a dash of orange bitters, and a lemon twist, and holy poo poo that was delicious. I hit the middle ground and used 5:1, and it was fantastic.

gently caress olives.

That was probably my post because that's the loving proper way to Martini. Doubly so if you're using a fine vermouth like Dolin or Vya.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I had to peel 15 oranges to make a giant batch of oleosaccharum last night and let me tell you that poo poo suuucked

Invest in a good peeler kids

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I'm kind of in a cocktail rut. I almost only ever order sazeracs or old fashioneds, and need to try something new. I have access to fantastic bartenders. What should I try.

Try a Vieux Carre: 1:1:1 Brandy/Bourbon/Sweet Vermouth, 1 tsp beneditctine, 2 dashes ango 2 dashes peychauds.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 17, 2015

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Every guide I've seen on oleosaccharum shows whole peels; is there a reason not to use a zester? I mean, it did take a long time, but I got all peel and no pith.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I was at work drinking last night and I ordered a left hand off my fave dude, it was really busy so I waited patiently with my girlfriend and talked to the girl waiting next to us and she complimented my drink when it came and I said thanks and we went to sit down and about five minutes later she came up behind us and said my drink needed a top up and whipped out a Smirnoff ice (we don't sell those) and dumped it in my half full drink before I even realised what was happening

Maybe because I was already way too drunk to be ordering stirred down drinks but it wasn't half bad and now I'm probably just going to gently caress around with citrus in vermouth cocktails tonight and see what sticks

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Working out some ideas for blended scotch cocktails. Stumped.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

DontAskKant posted:

I really like a good Blood and Sand.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Every guide I've seen on oleosaccharum shows whole peels; is there a reason not to use a zester? I mean, it did take a long time, but I got all peel and no pith.

I don't know if it would make a difference. It would certainly be much more annoying to strain out, but that's a relatively minor consideration. If it works for you then good on you.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

MC Eating Disorder posted:

I was at work drinking last night and I ordered a left hand off my fave dude, it was really busy so I waited patiently with my girlfriend and talked to the girl waiting next to us and she complimented my drink when it came and I said thanks and we went to sit down and about five minutes later she came up behind us and said my drink needed a top up and whipped out a Smirnoff ice (we don't sell those) and dumped it in my half full drink before I even realised what was happening

Maybe because I was already way too drunk to be ordering stirred down drinks but it wasn't half bad and now I'm probably just going to gently caress around with citrus in vermouth cocktails tonight and see what sticks

A bar spoon of juice in a vermouth drink isn't a half bad idea many times and I'm 50/50 on the girl who iced you (chances are good I'd do her)

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Kenning posted:

I don't know if it would make a difference. It would certainly be much more annoying to strain out, but that's a relatively minor consideration. If it works for you then good on you.

I think I read somewhere that you lose some oil in the zesting, but I've no idea if it's a meaningful amount.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

DontAskKant posted:

Sidecar, Boulevardier, black Manhattan, anything with a tea tincture

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Breakfast martinis (basic 3:2:1 daisy specs with a bar spoon of marmalade) with blended scotch in place of gin are dope as gently caress IMO

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It just occurred to me that Salvatore Calabrese might have accidentally started the trend of calling anything served in a martini glass a martini with that drink, can anyone think of a drink with the martini affix that didn't have vermouth pre-2003?

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Actually now that I think about it I'm almost certainly wrong cause I turned 18 in 02 so my exposure to drinking culture kind of starts there but my probably going to look through a couple of cheesy recipe books from the 90s I've picked up and see if anything as unimaginative as a chocolate martini turns up as a name

I mean if you're gonna make something with pancake flavoured vodka and a 100s & 1000's rimmed glass you really should have the decency to come up with a really snappy name

drowned in pussy juice fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 18, 2015

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Need some help making a batch old fashioned. Looking at this recipe from Serious Eats:

750ml bourbon
1oz simple
10-12 dashes bitters
4oz water.

Is it just me or does everything about that seem wrong? Feels like there should be more......everything except bourbon, right?

If I take a normal recipe (leaving out the water):
1.5oz bourbon
4g sugar (one cube)
2-3 dashes bitters

If I get 15 drinks from a full (700ml) bottle...

Sugar: 4g x 15 = 60g. Let's say we're making a 1:1 simple, so 120g or 4 fl.oz.? I don't really know the density of simple syrup but surely 1oz isn't going to cut it.
Bitters: Using the same scale we're looking at 30-45 dashes of bitters. What does this look like in ml/fl.oz.?
Water: This is tough because your water comes from dilution from the ice and to figure this out you'd have to make one and weigh the ice, then take the ice out after the drink is diluted and weigh it and subtract the difference. (I might actually try doing this tonight).

Is this recipe whack or am I missing something? I need a drink :(

Side note: I made a batch of thyme simple syrup as Mr. Wookums suggested and holy poo poo it's fantastic.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Remind me again what's an alternative to campari?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Aperol.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Gran Classico is a really nice Amaro that isn't anything like Campari, but brings some bitter depth and complexity to a drink. For something more similar to Campari, but more approachable, there's Aperol.

angor posted:

Need some help making a batch old fashioned. Looking at this recipe from Serious Eats:

750ml bourbon
1oz simple
10-12 dashes bitters
4oz water.

Is it just me or does everything about that seem wrong? Feels like there should be more......everything except bourbon, right?

1.5oz bourbon
4g sugar (one cube)
2-3 dashes bitters

Sugar: 4g x 15 = 60g. Let's say we're making a 1:1 simple, so 120g or 4 fl.oz.? I don't really know the density of simple syrup but surely 1oz isn't going to cut it.
Bitters: Using the same scale we're looking at 30-45 dashes of bitters. What does this look like in ml/fl.oz.?
Water: This is tough because your water comes from dilution from the ice and to figure this out you'd have to make one and weigh the ice, then take the ice out after the drink is diluted and weigh it and subtract the difference. (I might actually try doing this tonight).

Side note: I made a batch of thyme simple syrup as Mr. Wookums suggested and holy poo poo it's fantastic.

You're pretty on point. 1 oz. of 1:1 simple syrup would be much too dry, as it only contains 2 tsp (around 10 grams) sugar. I would use 2.5 fl oz. (~70 g) sugar for a bottle, and melt it with a little over 1 oz. water (I prefer the dilution to come from the ice, rather than the syrup). For bitters I would go by taste. Start with 1 Tbsp (i.e. 1/2 oz.) and see how it is. If you want to be more conservative, go by teaspoons. Dashes aren't a uniform measure – a full bottle of bitters gives a smaller dash than a half-empty one, so this is something you'll have to eyeball. Dashing 30 times only takes like 10 or 15 seconds though, so you could just do it that way. Again, do it to taste.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

angor posted:

750ml bourbon
1oz simple
10-12 dashes bitters
4oz water.

1.5oz bourbon
4g sugar (one cube)
2-3 dashes bitters

Re: sugar - g is a weight measurement, fl. oz is a volume measurement. If you like your Old-Fashioneds that sweet, then just weigh it out. I personally only use 1 tsp simple syrup in mine, not sure how that compares.
Re: bitters - for some reason when you batch drinks, you drastically cut back on bitters. I'm not sure why, but if you want it exactly the same, I approximate 1 dash of bitters to be 1 ml, so 30-45 ml = 1 or 1.5 oz
Re: water - you can usually estimate something like 20-25% of the final volume to be water, but this is going to depend on your stir. Weighing is the way to go if you have the chance.

As for that recipe, it doesn't look horrible, just looks like someone who likes their Old Fashioneds rather strong with little sugar. Perhaps they mean to serve it on ice so there will be additional dilution happening.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
There is also Cappelletti, Casoni and my favorite, Leopold Bros. Apertivo.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The specific gravity of white sugar is like .85, while the specific gravity of raw sugar (the superior choice) is like .96. You can almost just use mass and volume interchangeably for those, and just make it a slightly heaping volumetric measure to make up for the lower specific gravity and the space between the crystals. Also I strongly disagree about cutting back on bitters.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 18, 2015

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

^^^
I agree, but some people have strong, lovely, reactions to bitters.

The Hebug posted:

Re: sugar - g is a weight measurement, fl. oz is a volume measurement. If you like your Old-Fashioneds that sweet, then just weigh it out. I personally only use 1 tsp simple syrup in mine, not sure how that compares.
Assuming a 1:1 that'd roughly be 2.5g of sugar.

The batch seems like a dry old fashioned, but I prefer my bourbon old fashions a bit dryer than rye. You could provide grapes/cherries or whatever is in a new old fashion to have people sweeten by garnish, but muddling those may not be something you'd want guests to do. I'm not sure if you'd want people to spike their drinks further to cut back on the mixed sweetness if you make it richer.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 18, 2015

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I would like to try some different amaros and other aperitifs, but unfortunately, they tend to be expensive around here and there are few bars that serve, say, Fernet Branca by the glass.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

There is also Cappelletti, Casoni and my favorite, Leopold Bros. Apertivo.

The bottles of Leopold Bros. at K&L have some weird floaty cloudy precipitate in them. I've been leery of trying a bottle if there's something wrong with it. I'm assuming yours is completely clear?

Kenning posted:

The specific gravity of white sugar is like .85, while the specific gravity of raw sugar (the superior choice) is like .96. You can almost just use mass and volume interchangeably for those, and just make it a slightly heaping volumetric measure to make up for the lower specific gravity and the space between the crystals. Also I strongly disagree about cutting back on bitters.

I personally don't when batching drinks either, but I do know it's some sort of bartender folk lore or something.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
gently caress yes you guys are awesome. Ok, I'm going to build one drink tonight as a test to check my dilution (I'll be serving these very well chilled without ice unless requested) and to make sure I've got my sugar levels right. I have a 1/10th gram scale so I might measure the bitters with that, though I don't know if it's precise enough.

Hell, as long as I'm close enough to start with I can always taste, tweak, repeat :)

EDIT: Made a test batch just now for 2 cocktails:

Bourbon - 72g
Sugar - 4.4 (this is lower than my original number, but one sugar cube per drink is a bit much for me)
Bitters - 3.4g (I'll scale this back to 3g)
Water - I used 7.6g to help the sugar dissolve with the bitters. The ice I added was 150g. Weighed the ice after stirring and it was 95g. So all in all, total water for the two drinks was 62.6g.

Total weight for 2 drinks (using 3g bitters) is 142g. That makes my added water 44%, which sounds high, but it tastes great! Can't wait to try it out in the big batch tomorrow. I think the only thing that'll gently caress things up is the fact that I used a 40% booze (Buffalo Trace) for my test and I'm using a 50% (Knob Creek) for the batch. Will report back.

angor fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Dec 18, 2015

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
2:1 hot apple cider to root beer liqueur is amazing :allears:

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
I just got a bottle of Fernet Branca and I don't know what to do with it. halp

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Eat a really big meal. The sort where you're satisfied, but very, very full. Then pour yourself a small glass of Fernet Branca and drink it in 3 or 4 sips. It's a marvelous way to reduce post-prandial discomfort.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

slut chan posted:

Drink it and grow some hair on your chest.

Then make a Toronto.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

What's a good gin for making martinis? Vespers in particular. Lately I've been getting cheaper gin since we've been going through it more quickly, but I want to get something at least bombay/beefeater level for these.

I think I'm going to make a big liquor store run. Get some Elijah Craig 12, some gin (possibly two kinds), some vermouth, and some Angosutra bitters. And then when I can justify more, I'm going to buy some sweet vermouth and another bottle of Rittenhouse to make baby's first manhattan.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

bunnyofdoom posted:

Remind me again what's an alternative to campari?

Cynar is a much better substitute -- it has a similar level of sweetness and bitterness. Aperol is much sweeter and lower alcohol than campari.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Was just at the company party and they had a French 75s bar, among others.

..."oh sorry we ran out of lemon juice, here have some tanq, simple, and prosecco"

It was kind of nasty. So what *should* go into a French 75 to make it actually good?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Lemon juice.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah I figured. Maybe the prosecco was bad, too, it really did not taste good at all.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

The Hebug posted:

The bottles of Leopold Bros. at K&L have some weird floaty cloudy precipitate in them. I've been leery of trying a bottle if there's something wrong with it. I'm assuming yours is completely clear?

Distillers scale (no link: I'm mobile) is calcium carbonate that occurs when pressure and temperature in a still fluctuate:banjo::arghfist::arghfist::arghfist:: in a way that allows calcium dissolved in water to interact with carbon dioxide in a way that precipitates the harmless, non-digestible out of solution into the final product. It's not bad for you, but it's a flaw in the process. You can google supercritical fluids for the math and calcium carbonate for the biology, but basically it's the poo poo that builds up on your shower head in a bottle.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

The Hebug posted:

I personally don't when batching drinks either, but I do know it's some sort of bartender folk lore or something.

Nah, it should have stuff swirling in it. All good.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Campari and aperol have the same sugar content I believe, but aperol is half the proof so it doesn't seem like it. Cynar is a fun sub to play with - try a mezcal negroni with it. I also really like grand poppy liqueur from greebar distillery. Much more floral obviously but similar flavor profile.

Gin for martinis? Just use your favorite gin, and try to find a favorite vermouth. I like drier gins like tanqueray, Ford's, Bombay dry, but that might not be what you want in a martini. Try a lighter more floral gin like aviation or a ridiculously smooth gin like Martin Miller's (overproof preferably). Citadelle is a great affordable all purpose gin. St George botanivore is a pretty classic style that does well wherever you need gin. There are so many good gins out there, it's ridiculous. Bluecoat is awesome also.

For vermouth I don't have the most experience because I fell in love with Dolin dry. Vya is nice, noilly prat is the classic martini vermouth, and carpano bianco is solid too of course.

French 75s absolutely need lemon, or something like it. I use a lighter style gin like aviation, 1-1.5 oz, .75 oz lemon, .5 oz simple, shake, top with bubbly then strain into a flute or Collins glass with ice and a lemon twist. You could add st germain, fresh berries, aperol, all kinds of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

slut chan posted:

Honestly I don't like mixed drinks with colas and stuff at ALL generally but if there's one thing in the world I enjoy topped off with some Coke it is fernet. But just take a couple shots first so you can feel like a "craft cocktail" bartender from 2012