Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Had a close one last weekend, I was driving home on the freeway around 2am when I see this car come up behind me real fast, he pulls to the next lane and passes me clearly speeding, I was going 100km/h because I usually slow down to the speed limit if I see lights behind me in the dark, you never know if its the cops. After he was done passing me, he lost the control of his car, I stabbed my brakes and watched this dude spin around a couple of times before planting his car into the middle railing :catstare: Pulled over and ran over to check if they were okay, luckily there was only the driver in the car and he was clearly drunk with empty beer cans around the cabin. Another dude pulled over and called the cops, who I gave a statement when they arrived.

And poo poo cherry on top of a turd cake was that he had mixed season tires on aswell, when the roads were iced. :doh:

Im just thankful he didnt take me out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I've been on the highway a lot more recently and I've been on the receiving end of a good tailgating, only to have them floor it and merge into another lane, leaving centimeters between us. How can you drive like such an rear end in a top hat and feel safe?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Ignorance is bliss

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Devyl posted:

They had a problem with cars and the crosswalks at the old downtown square here in Bowling Green. It's a historic area with a lot of bars. Mix that with being in a college town and you can imagine the kind of problems that arise. To fix it, the crosswalk now has signs that light up and lights throughout the road itself so people know when it's safe to cross.

My town has these all over the place downtown, which makes sense because UVA and the Downtown Mall are within blocks of each other so there is a ton of foot-traffic everywhere, mostly comprised of stoned/drunk/idiot college students.

Funnily enough I didn't start noticing them until after a police officer struck a dude in a wheel-chair who was jay-walking jay-rolling.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I was a horrible driver one day, I was waiting to make a left turn on a regular light, yielding to the oncoming traffic. I saw a sufficient opening and floored it, the next thing I saw was a middle aged guy on an electric wheel chair complete with tubes and other poo poo. He was about a foot away from the lane I was turning into and swerved and braked. I didn't hit him, just scared him real bad and probably pissed off the cross traffic. I still feel like an rear end hole for that incident. :blush:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Crotch Fruit posted:

I was a horrible driver one day, I was waiting to make a left turn on a regular light, yielding to the oncoming traffic. I saw a sufficient opening and floored it, the next thing I saw was a middle aged guy on an electric wheel chair complete with tubes and other poo poo. He was about a foot away from the lane I was turning into and swerved and braked. I didn't hit him, just scared him real bad and probably pissed off the cross traffic. I still feel like an rear end hole for that incident. :blush:

Don't feel too bad, this guy did it even without oncoming traffic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tkSzxdolSo

This guy wins the prize for red light running though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiVtMhU5Y9s

I hope the prize is a straight razor to the throat.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Seat Safety Switch posted:

This guy wins the prize for red light running though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiVtMhU5Y9s

I hope the prize is a straight razor to the throat.

:psyduck: He (or she) was extremely committed to making that light. Wow. gently caress that person.

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012

InitialDave posted:

Black clothing and black shoes with a black hat on a black bike with no lights or reflectors at night on an unlit road. Wearing sunglasses. And the guy doing all this is, in fact, black.
I almost hit that guy turning left into my street on my way home from work. The street is black asphalt and has a sharp uphill in the first little bit, so he also had a nice black background to blend in against while I was blinking away the stars from all of the oncoming traffic headlights.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Dear Everyone-in-Miami: Four way flashers are not for rainstorms, you ignorant, incompetent, useless, assholes. gently caress off and die.

Signed: MrYenko

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Safe passing is for casuals https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEcbXgD9gbM

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

MrYenko posted:

Dear Everyone-in-Miami: Four way flashers are not for rainstorms, you ignorant, incompetent, useless, assholes. gently caress off and die.
Dear everyone in Stockholm: Nor are they for drawing attention to the fact that you have double parked like an idiot.

I really wish parking attendants had the lawful right to slap people with "improper use of hazard lights" or something for doing that, in addition to the parking fine.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Once upon a time I was cruising I-90 through Wyoming after sundown, and sped right through what seemed like an entire herd of antelope. I was unable to use high beams because of oncoming traffic and they just popped out of the darkness as I came on top of them.. was a bit of a miracle that none were in my lane. Because I saw at least half a dozen sets of glowing eyes on both sides of the car as I zoomed past.

At any rate that's the only time I've ever used my hazards "inappropriately." There was a semi about a half mile behind me and I felt like I needed some way to warn him.. all I could think of was to hit the hazards. Tapping the brakes would probably have worked too but I didn't think of it until later. I like to think it helped because several seconds later I saw the same truck flash his headlights, I guess either he got the message and was thanking me or was trying to warn someone that was behind him.

I also finished that night at 55 mph because it scared the hell out of me. Since then I make a conscious effort to avoid driving rural areas from sunset on. Or I camp out behind a semi so he can splatter them out of my way.

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious
I'm surprised that I didn't witness a collision this morning. I followed a car through 4 stop signs before I turned, and at each one the car ran the stop sign, stopped in the middle of the intersection, and then proceeded straight. I can only assume that happens at every stop, every day.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

xzzy posted:

Once upon a time I was cruising I-90 through Wyoming after sundown, and sped right through what seemed like an entire herd of antelope. I was unable to use high beams because of oncoming traffic and they just popped out of the darkness as I came on top of them.. was a bit of a miracle that none were in my lane. Because I saw at least half a dozen sets of glowing eyes on both sides of the car as I zoomed past.

At any rate that's the only time I've ever used my hazards "inappropriately." There was a semi about a half mile behind me and I felt like I needed some way to warn him.. all I could think of was to hit the hazards. Tapping the brakes would probably have worked too but I didn't think of it until later. I like to think it helped because several seconds later I saw the same truck flash his headlights, I guess either he got the message and was thanking me or was trying to warn someone that was behind him.

I also finished that night at 55 mph because it scared the hell out of me. Since then I make a conscious effort to avoid driving rural areas from sunset on. Or I camp out behind a semi so he can splatter them out of my way.

I think that's plenty reasonable. I slow down a lot and flash the blinkers a bit if I see deer. Even if you see only one there are more nearby.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

MrYenko posted:

Four way flashers are not for rainstorms, you ignorant, incompetent, useless, assholes. gently caress off and die.

I'll turn on my hazards if it's raining hard enough that I (literally) can't see past the wipers.

Seems to happen about once or twice a year for me. We get plenty of nasty weather, and I drive about 20k miles/year.

But I'm crawling along at 5-10 mph at that point, driving by braille via lane markers and curbs, with zero visibility at that point; I'm just hoping it'll warn the brotruck that's inevitably doing 60 mph in a 45 when it's raining so hard that I can't even make out the wiper arms.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Collateral Damage posted:

Dear everyone in Stockholm: Nor are they for drawing attention to the fact that you have double parked like an idiot.

This is worldwide

some texas redneck posted:

I'll turn on my hazards if it's raining hard enough that I (literally) can't see past the wipers.

Seems to happen about once or twice a year for me. We get plenty of nasty weather, and I drive about 20k miles/year.

But I'm crawling along at 5-10 mph at that point, driving by braille via lane markers and curbs, with zero visibility at that point; I'm just hoping it'll warn the brotruck that's inevitably doing 60 mph in a 45 when it's raining so hard that I can't even make out the wiper arms.

I know you drive for a living but if it's that bad you do yourself and everyone else a favor just getting off the road. Either brotruck somehow has better visibility than you do or he won't see you anyway.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That's only when I'm caught in a place where I can't pull over. Trust me, if I'm stuck in that poo poo, I pull over the moment it's safe to do so. Only highways have shoulders here (and even then, it's about 1/2 to 2/3 of them).

If I can't see past the wipers (or hood), I know the brotruck behind me won't even realize I'm there until they hear my skull being split open by their RF tire. And the splitting sound will probably be their RF tire crushing through my spine and into the car chassis instead of my head.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Mar 27, 2014

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean
Had someone refuse to let me merge onto the highway today, to make it worse it was pouring rain which is never great in my XC.

Coming down the on ramp, I was a couple of meters ahead (the front of their car was in line with the rear bumper of mine) of the person on the highway, going the same speed as them. Even if it wasn't raining braking would have been stupid, so I floor it to get ahead of them. They didn't like that and decide to match my speed to block me from merging. At this point I was running out of space between me and the concrete side wall so either I speed up again and make a sharp turn to get in front of them or slam on the brakes. I had a feeling I'd end up dying if I tried to make a sharp turn at speed in the rain, so I slammed on the brakes.

I don't know how but the brakes didn't lock up and I didn't go sliding into the wall.

One thing that has me worried though - I didn't use the horn. In fact I never use it when I get into lovely situations like this. I really should, it might help.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I'm so happy I have a fast car and can dust people who do that now. In turbo I trust

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Ansith posted:

One thing that has me worried though - I didn't use the horn. In fact I never use it when I get into lovely situations like this. I really should, it might help.

I don't know how much thought you put into it at the time, but sometimes not laying on the horn makes all the difference in the world in whether or not you end up in an accident.

A few months ago I'm on a two lane road on my way to work. It's raining. I'm going about 40mph. As I'm passing a left turn lane waiting for a red light, some idiot a little over a car length in front of me decides he doesn't feel like waiting for the light and starts pulling back into the left lane from a dead stop. He either didn't look or didn't care that there was a car bearing down on him. I brake but there's no way in hell I have room to stop. Luckily there was nobody in the right lane and I was able to veer into it to avoid him. I'm still amazed we didn't collide. There were only a couple of inches between us. If our windows had been open I could have reached inside his car.

Even though that is the type of situation that would typically call for it, I didn't even think of laying on the horn at the time. I was too focused on avoiding a collision, and I don't think I would have pulled that off if I'd gone for the horn.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Some idiot in a black Camry whipped it out into the lane immediately in front of me at "I'm bumbling up this entrance ramp the throttle makes scary noises oh god I am going so fast I AM SCARED SOMEONE TAKE ME HOME" speed. Good to know I can check my blind spot and switch lanes in time to avoid a collision at a 25mph speed difference, given a carlength and a half of working room! I didn't really want to learn that this morning, though.

Oh and gently caress you Camry owner. I hope you play chicken with a freight train... or start taking the bus, where people incapable of driving belong.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I got stuck behind some boob on the way in this morning, driving 15 under the 35 mph speed limit. One of those super timid drivers, every time a car would come in the oncoming lane they would swing all the way to the curb and tap the brakes. Once it was clear they'd slowly creep back up to 20 and then drive with a wheel on the yellow lines. Once we even hit 25!

Eventually they turned off and I expected to see either a fossil or a teenager, but nope, it was just some normal looking middle aged lady who is merely a colossally lovely driver. Maybe the car was a loaner and she was terrified of damaging it? :iiam:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

kastein posted:

Some idiot in a black Camry whipped it out into the lane immediately in front of me at "I'm bumbling up this entrance ramp the throttle makes scary noises oh god I am going so fast I AM SCARED SOMEONE TAKE ME HOME" speed. Good to know I can check my blind spot and switch lanes in time to avoid a collision at a 25mph speed difference, given a carlength and a half of working room! I didn't really want to learn that this morning, though.

Oh and gently caress you Camry owner. I hope you play chicken with a freight train... or start taking the bus, where people incapable of driving belong.

Aaaggghhhhh this is the worst. One of the onramps to the loop that goes around the city doubles as an exit-only lane. It's not fun getting stuck behind a person going 35 in a this-is-going-to-end-soon exit-only "onramp", trying to merge over to the travel lane where the average speed of traffic is 70, while a large number of those same people doing 70 are trying to merge over into your lane to get off the exit. Probably one of my road ragiest locations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I saw a guy in a new Mazda 6 loop his car at playground-zone speeds this morning by turning right a little aggressively and lifting as soon as the back end started to step out. It was sort of incredible, I haven't seen a spinout that slow before.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
I've accidentally done that in my truck before making a u-turn from a dead stop. It was in the first 15-20 minutes of rain after a couple months of drought and dust(so, not as bad as if it were clear dry conditions), you still feel like the biggest retard ever. Touched the throttle, had the wheels turned too sharply, and immediately spun a 270 at 5 mph. Thankfully there was maybe 1 person on the road driving away from me so my shame was still relatively private.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Ansith posted:

Had someone refuse to let me merge onto the highway today, to make it worse it was pouring rain which is never great in my XC.

Coming down the on ramp, I was a couple of meters ahead (the front of their car was in line with the rear bumper of mine) of the person on the highway, going the same speed as them. Even if it wasn't raining braking would have been stupid, so I floor it to get ahead of them. They didn't like that and decide to match my speed to block me from merging. At this point I was running out of space between me and the concrete side wall so either I speed up again and make a sharp turn to get in front of them or slam on the brakes. I had a feeling I'd end up dying if I tried to make a sharp turn at speed in the rain, so I slammed on the brakes.

I can't remember the last time anyone tried pulling this poo poo on me. I'd just merge in anyway and let the paint chips fall where they may.

It also helps to drive a car that looks like it came straight out of the Thunderdome. People usually give you a wide berth regardless.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Hell yes it does, my crapcan would be more at home in Libya with a dozen dudes toting AKs in the back than it would where I live. Even when I was DDing it in NYC, people let me go where I wanted to. :getin:

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Ansith posted:

I don't know how but the brakes didn't lock up and I didn't go sliding into the wall.

I had someone do this to me except they were driving a tractor-trailer and they accelerated to close a 50m gap.

By which I mean that when I was at the top of the ramp there was a good 50 meter gap between them and the car I was going to merge behind but by the time I hit the merge zone they had accelerated so hard that they had to lock their wheels to avoid a collision with it. :psypop:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Snowdens Secret posted:

This is worldwide
In some places, like Japan, hazards are usually used to say "hey, I'm slowing down to pull over at the side of the road", whereas here we just indicate to that side. I don't know if it's mandated or just a cultural norm.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well, wherever you are, wouldn't we all benefit from having an "Iceman" option in our cars?

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
In that vein, some sweet karmic bro-truck justice here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XqZoaWKv2k

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Looking at that video, there was plenty of space to pull over to the right.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, idiot woman shouldn't have been in that lane, and certainly shouldn't have had her phone out. Hard to tell who's slowing or accelerating when they're alongside each other, but she's probably in need of at least one ticket there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, just because the speedometer reads the speed limit doesn't mean they get to pretend it's a badge and play traffic cop.

Get the gently caress out of the way and move on with life.

Though it is pretty funny how dude whipped his truck into the ditch. Maybe put some sandbags in the bed for next time?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah, the only way that could have ended better is if she managed to drive into something while filming and/or laughing at him and being smug.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
Yes, that would have been an awesome two-for, but my ire for what truck guy does outweighs my ire for people that do exactly the limit in the fast lane. It's SR 41 in Tampa, not exactly a multilane freeway. There's lights every mile or two, you're going to be slowing down or stopping soon no matter what.

Also, with all that space he could have just gone the gently caress around and gotten on with his life as well. If I did what bro-truck guy is doing every time I ran up on somebody doing the limit in the left lane I'd have wrecked every vehicle I've ever owned several times over rather than just rolling my eyes and passing them up like a non-rear end in a top hat.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Actually I just watched that video again and she was pacing the trucks in the slow lane, specifically to piss off the bro truck. You can see a rear wheel right at the beginning. That entire first minute she just sticks right next to them. Dumb oval office.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 27, 2014

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Kilersquirrel posted:

In that vein, some sweet karmic bro-truck justice here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XqZoaWKv2k

This is so good it feels like friday coming one day early

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

LloydDobler posted:

Actually I just watched that video again and she was pacing the trucks in the slow lane, specifically to piss off the bro truck. You can see a rear wheel right at the beginning. That entire first minute she just sticks right next to them. Dumb oval office.
I agree completely. He should've just passed her, rather than pulling alongside and flipping her off, but other than that, most of the wrong is squarely in the video taker's lap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

xzzy posted:

I got stuck behind some boob on the way in this morning, driving 15 under the 35 mph speed limit. One of those super timid drivers, every time a car would come in the oncoming lane they would swing all the way to the curb and tap the brakes. Once it was clear they'd slowly creep back up to 20 and then drive with a wheel on the yellow lines. Once we even hit 25!

Eventually they turned off and I expected to see either a fossil or a teenager, but nope, it was just some normal looking middle aged lady who is merely a colossally lovely driver. Maybe the car was a loaner and she was terrified of damaging it? :iiam:

Whenever I see people driving like this I assume they're drunk or stoned out of their mind and are trying to get home without attracting the attention of the cops.