Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turtleface
May 28, 2003

I'm helping

Marsupial Ape posted:

I have never not enjoyed an episode. The worse things get, the funnier it is.

On the recent double that was just Nick recounting some magazine articles he read, Mitch was furious about how bad the whole thing was and I loved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

turtleface posted:

On the recent double that was just Nick recounting some magazine articles he read, Mitch was furious about how bad the whole thing was and I loved it.

That was fantastic, especially since the articles were incredible bummers and Nick was like, “what?”.

I couldn’t care less about fast food as a topic. The entire appeal of the show is Nick and Mitch’s relationship and interplay.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
The fast food stuff is of course not the main attraction. Except all the Steak N Shake episodes where they went to the lovely California restaurants. As a Midwesterner those got me real steamed

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Marsupial Ape posted:

The entire appeal of the show is Nick and Mitch’s relationship and interplay.

Speaking of that, does anybody miss how there used to be more tension between them? I imagine some of it was exaggerated, and it's probably good for them not to actively despise someone they work with for years (and maybe they deliberately lightened things up during the pandemic?), but it was an interesting dynamic.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I got tired of them getting into similar arguments over dumb bullshit all the time, I find the show much more enjoyable when they're just roasting each other rather than argue.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
They’re friends!

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Live At Five! posted:

I got tired of them getting into similar arguments over dumb bullshit all the time, I find the show much more enjoyable when they're just roasting each other rather than argue.

It's hosed up for sure that the improv performers do this on their comedy podcast

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Podcast forum goon scratching his head and wondering why bert doesn't just move out if he argues with ernie so much.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

little munchkin posted:

Podcast forum goon scratching his head and wondering why bert doesn't just move out if he argues with ernie so much.

Mitch being pissed about GMA was real, I’m guessing that’s what they were referring too.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Sinteres posted:

Speaking of that, does anybody miss how there used to be more tension between them? I imagine some of it was exaggerated, and it's probably good for them not to actively despise someone they work with for years (and maybe they deliberately lightened things up during the pandemic?), but it was an interesting dynamic.

No, I mean I definitely enjoy when they're arguing over a trivial topic and it's for fun, but some of the older episodes had arguments over legit issues like about booking or their schedule and there definitely seemed to be actual concerns, mostly coming from Nick. It seems like they were able to make improvements and he's happier now but I could totally see Nick calling it quits if he were consistently exhausted and miserable. I'm glad it's just the two of them and they get along and can make significant changes so it isn't just eating junk food all the time, like it's fine for Nick to stop eating meat or for them to play games streams or movie chat so it's not only eating.

It's from a long while back but I remember listening to the Adam Carolla podcast and it was funny when he'd yell at his producer Donny over a minor issue and I thought it was just exaggerated for fun. Then not long after Donny quit, sued over profits, and got a six figure settlement. I don't think our boys have that kind of hateful atmosphere but yeah sometimes tensions are real.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Marsupial Ape posted:

I have never not enjoyed an episode. The worse things get, the funnier it is.

The show is at its best when Mike starts to do an impression and immediately abandons it after one or two words.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the funniest I’ve ever laughed at Doughboys is when Carlsbad came in for Trump during the election

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Drunkboxer posted:

Mitch being pissed about GMA was real, I’m guessing that’s what they were referring too.

What happened with GMA? I heard them reference it on HDTGP but didn't know what they were talking about

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Wouldn't have been surprised with any score for Checkers/Rally's, it's a restaurant with wild variance. Kinda surprised it wasn't a service issue though -- not the fault of the actual workers, just how it's managed, but it can be a nightmare sometimes. Like once a year I'll remember "hey, you haven't been to Checkers in forever," go there, and it's great. A month later I'll remember that experience, go back, it's terrible and I won't go again for a year.

Hobo Clown posted:

What happened with GMA? I heard them reference it on HDTGP but didn't know what they were talking about
Like two years ago, pre-pandemic, they got invited to do a bit on GMA that would've been them actually flying in and appearing in-studio; GMA did not have much flexibility about when and the slot offered happened to conflict with Nick recording the pilot of HDTGP and he was just unwilling to move that, so they had to pass and Mitch was unhappy about that, both for real and also just playing it up for a running joke. A few months ago they did a very brief remote bit for GMA about the chicken sandwich wars, which sort of put it to bed.

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 7, 2021

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Also it should be noted that everyone else involved with HDTGP was perfectly willing to reschedule to accommodate Nick.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

indigi posted:

the funniest I’ve ever laughed at Doughboys is when Carlsbad came in for Trump during the election

That was amazing, it stopped the show dead and Mitch had to explain how it made sense in his head

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr3SJSQ1ooM

"Your mom just said 'What?' from upstairs."

"Mitch, what the Hell are you talking about?"

It's an all-time great moment

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Like two years ago, pre-pandemic, they got invited to do a bit on GMA that would've been them actually flying in and appearing in-studio; GMA did not have much flexibility about when and the slot offered happened to conflict with Nick recording the pilot of HDTGP and he was just unwilling to move that, so they had to pass and Mitch was unhappy about that, both for real and also just playing it up for a running joke. A few months ago they did a very brief remote bit for GMA about the chicken sandwich wars, which sort of put it to bed.

Ahh ok the HDTGP convo makes a lot more sense with that context. Nick's such a weirdo sometimes haha

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

who cares about going on GMA lol none of those people are going to listen to a chain restaurant podcast where they talk about cum and diarrhea every ten minutes

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Hoda!!! What the gently caress! You sick gently caress!

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
what the gently caress? My mum watches good morning america. It's gud

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
if you want some classic Doughboys yelling about nothing this Double was a Doughlympics special and boy do they both just hate this bit they had no obligation to do and it's hilarious.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

if you want some classic Doughboys yelling about nothing this Double was a Doughlympics special and boy do they both just hate this bit they had no obligation to do and it's hilarious.

It's my favorite type of Doughboys episode, I love it

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat
I would have liked them trying to count curly fries and arguing over whether to count the whole fry or each fry’s loops individually.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

I loved... announcing all the "countries"? One of my favorite type of things they do.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

One of my favorite bits was "backyard bbq draft" where Mitch would get bummed that he didn't think of hot dogs or some poo poo fast enough

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Cheen posted:

One of my favorite bits was "backyard bbq draft" where Mitch would get bummed that he didn't think of hot dogs or some poo poo fast enough

That or family feud/food where the topic will be something like “popular fruit” and while I’m wondering if they are counting tomatoes as fruits or using the colloquial vegetable, Mitch is throwing guess 1 or 2 on like… cranberries or a specific sub-set of melon.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

That or family feud/food where the topic will be something like “popular fruit” and while I’m wondering if they are counting tomatoes as fruits or using the colloquial vegetable, Mitch is throwing guess 1 or 2 on like… cranberries or a specific sub-set of melon.

It was vegetables I’m pretty sure. I remember because I felt stupid because corn and potatoes aren’t the first things I think of as vegetables but of course they are.

Anyway my favorite version of Mitch getting mad is the first time they played Pie in This Guy where Wiger’s final clue was “it rhymes with “McBonalds Mapple Thigh” or something and Mitch got mad because it was too hard.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

5 minutes into the double with Claudia O'Doherty about the Friends pilot, only for Mitch to reveal he forgot to explain the segment or even ask her to watch the pilot beforehand. This is the doughboys magic at work

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Toast King posted:

5 minutes into the double with Claudia O'Doherty about the Friends pilot, only for Mitch to reveal he forgot to explain the segment or even ask her to watch the pilot beforehand. This is the doughboys magic at work

hat trick of completely stupid and beautiful doubles

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
It’s as if Mitch is meta-playing his character from Love, but… they aren’t that high concept.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I’m always amazed when a funny comedy writer/performer likes Friends. I don’t think it’s bad per se, there’s worse things to have on in the background and all the actors do their jobs very well, it’s just… it’s comedy for people who don’t actually like comedy. you can spot all the punchlines coming from a mile away, especially with Chandler or Phoebe, it’s all so boilerplate

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Toast King posted:

They got Claudia to review a pizza place some time ago only for her to reveal like halfway through or whatever that she doesn't loike peet-zur.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

naeiou oi downt loike peetzur

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Tony Pepperoni Peet-zur

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Pastry of the Year posted:

They got Claudia to review a pizza place some time ago only for her to reveal like halfway through or whatever that she doesn't loike peet-zur.

Claudia loving rules

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

indigi posted:

I’m always amazed when a funny comedy writer/performer likes Friends. I don’t think it’s bad per se, there’s worse things to have on in the background and all the actors do their jobs very well, it’s just… it’s comedy for people who don’t actually like comedy. you can spot all the punchlines coming from a mile away, especially with Chandler or Phoebe, it’s all so boilerplate

being predictable doesn't make it bad, op

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
those comedy professionals probably thought it was funny when the gang had a misbehaving monkey in their apartment. and hell, they're right

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

indigi posted:

naeiou oi downt loike peetzur

lmao yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

indigi posted:

Their comedy hero is Adam Sandler.