Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Sato and RHR on the same team. I'm doing moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Jeeze.

King Hiro you were a horrible driver, but one hell of an agent.

Props.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm surprised Hiro's career lasted as long as it did, moneyed or not.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Human Grand Prix posted:

I'm surprised Hiro's career lasted as long as it did, moneyed or not.

I swear to god I saw him out and about at Indy, taking selfies with random drivers and fans during Legends Day.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So the Texas race is now...

http://www.texasmotorspeedway.com/upcoming-events/buy-tickets/rainguard-600-weekend-tickets/rainguard-600

The Rainguard Water Sealers 600 :getin:

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Okay that's probably a coincidence but still super funny

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Spaced God posted:

Okay that's probably a coincidence but still super funny

Especially since the nascar race also got rained on heavily.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Eh.

I feel like bringing up something to discuss.

First off. With Tony Stewart indeed retiring. Does anyone else feel sort of robbed we never got to see him run Indy more?

Second off. We've seen guys like Alonso in F1 and Kyle Busch in Cup discuss running Indy in a positve manner. We've seen guys like Brian Vickers almost get a ride for the "500", Kurt Busch actually discuss running IndyCar full time (I need to find the source of this, but I swear I read this some place. Of course the big bag of money from Gene Haas changed his mind). and ex-F1 talent in Chilton, Rossi run in the series.

With all of those details being mentioned, which series do you think will see a driver represented at Indy first, F1 or Cup?

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Dec 6, 2016

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Indy clashes with Monaco so you won't see a current F1 driver there.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Talent is a strong word to describe Max Chilton

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
are Nige will come out of retirement but only if you shine a mustache shaped spotlight into the night sky

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Given Button's close ties with Honda you'd think he could easily get a seat at Indy, assuming he wanted to do it.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Ganassi will announce the driver of the #8 car tomorrow at the Sebring test. It sounds pretty likely that its Max keeping the seat.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
*Farts very loudly*

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Cygni posted:

Ganassi will announce the driver of the #8 car tomorrow at the Sebring test. It sounds pretty likely that its Max keeping the seat.

Man it'd sure be nice to have some sort of surprise during Silly Season, I'll still be on the teleconference regardless

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Shock nico announcement.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Bentai posted:

Shock nico announcement.

Hey the #20 car needs a road course driver !!!

For reals though, this has been one of the earliest completed silly seasons I've ever even heard of for IndyCar. I guess if you were gonna expand or come fresh into the series this isn't the year to do it, as you'll have to buy all new bodywork next year anyway.

Also not a big surprise, Oriol in for the 500 and potentially more:

https://twitter.com/DaveFurst/status/806255818924552192

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Oriol's helmets are loving awesome.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Chilton has been confirmed.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Time to get in your hot takes for the 2018 silly season. May as well start now since this one is pretty well over.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Dudley posted:

Indy clashes with Monaco so you won't see a current F1 driver there.

Which is odd considering it never used to be oddly enough. I guess the likes of Ron Dennis and a few F1 drivers were hanging out at IMS in '92 for the 500. Paul Page was kind of teasing the concept of the 60's era where the stars of F1 came to race there.

The thing I wonder is about the money and safety element of it. Which is why I don't think we'll see a portion of the "big time" drivers make it over here unless they're friends with someone currently driving.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yeah I don't think there's a way in hell a competitive F1 team will let them do it. I'm surprised that Hulkenberg was able to do LeMans but Indy's another level of risk.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

wicka posted:

Given Button's close ties with Honda you'd think he could easily get a seat at Indy, assuming he wanted to do it.

Honda HQ and Honda of America aren't necessarily on the same page when it comes to motorsports, and IndyCar is naturally a HoA project. So while Button is still this coming year a McLaren-Honda driver who'll probably stay busy driving various Hondas, its not super straightforward that he'd do something here.

Wouldn't mind seeing it if he's interested though. Would be interesting and fun, and definitely raise the 500's profile.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Looks nice;

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Huh, they managed to get 275hp out of the 2L Mazda without a turbo. I honestly expected the Pro Mazda engine to be the F2000 engine with boost on top.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I forgot how lovely the '97 T97/00 was.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Human Grand Prix posted:

I forgot how lovely the '97 T97/00 was.

The car that almost killed Lola. Every team switched to Reynard the next year, except for Lola funding Arnd Meier to run around at the back in the much improved 98 car. And then by 99, the Lola was probably the better car again. Those were fun times.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/TonyKanaan/status/807229894182731776

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cygni posted:

The car that almost killed Lola. Every team switched to Reynard the next year, except for Lola funding Arnd Meier to run around at the back in the much improved 98 car. And then by 99, the Lola was probably the better car again. Those were fun times.

1997 was a bad time for Lola in general. Broadley had clearly lost it completely at that point. Strange that Lola couldn't get anybody else to run the Chassis in '98 aside from Davis Racing; I don't think they had the funding to develop it properly and Meier was very mediocre.

Speaking of Meier, it's funny that PT had to resort to cutting a chicane and forcing him off the road to take the lead from him at Surfer's.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
For reals I liked the look of the PC27

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIs0p9vqQr0

Huh. Guess the Angry Video Game Nerd reviewed Danny Sullivan's "Indy Heat".

"WHO'S DANNY SULLIVAN AND WHY WOULD YOU USE HIM TO SELL A RACING GAME?"

Which does bring up a dumbass question. Were guys like Sullivan, Unser, Foyt, Andretti, and Rahal "household" names like I recall them being when I was a kid? Or was that because I was pretty much in Indycar friendly territory?

e: There's an Ivan "IRON MAN" Stewart reference in the video. AKA The GOAT.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 12, 2016

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
If you watched racing they probably were.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
My mom, who knows absolutely nothing about racing, knows who Al Unser and Mario Andretti are from her childhood. She's 61, for what it's worth.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The Unser and Andretti names are synonymous with racing in the US, like how people who know nothing about basketball know who Michael Jordan is years after his last game.

Dudes like Sullivan were titans of racing, but yeah, only to racing fans or people into cars that would see their ads in magazines or whatever.

Picture Sullivan's game akin to Bill Laimbeer's Combat Basketball. If you don't know who Bill Laimbeer is that game makes zero sense, but if you're a basketball fan you get the idea behind it.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
It was also a self fulfilling cycle. Any weird rear end hill climb, Baja rally, midget race that a unser or Andretti was at wide world of sports would turn up and cover it. So their presence started to define worthy racing events. There were pros and cons with that.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

Picture Sullivan's game akin to Bill Laimbeer's Combat Basketball. If you don't know who Bill Laimbeer is that game makes zero sense, but if you're a basketball fan you get the idea behind it

Right, that's kinda the vibe I was getting.

If you watched IndyCar and were wanting to buy a racing game? Danny Sullivan would have been one of the guys you'd have slapped on the cover to sell the thing. Not only was the guy a "500" champion (winning it in dramatic fashion), PPG Cup winner, etc. But I mean he was very "Hollywood" to boot.

That's kinda why I found the guy wondering aloud "WHO THE gently caress THIS GUY IS?" was kinda hilarious. If you were a racing fan buying the game? You knew drat well who Danny Sullivan was. Same with Ivan Stewart.

Uncle Jam posted:

It was also a self fulfilling cycle. Any weird rear end hill climb, Baja rally, midget race that a unser or Andretti was at wide world of sports would turn up and cover it. So their presence started to define worthy racing events. There were pros and cons with that.

At times I wonder if Cup and F1 were helped by the amount of drivers doing cross over efforts here. Obviously NASCAR for example already HAD a significant presence in Viking's neck of the woods for example (and still does). But I think someone like my dad started watching "Daytona" because of seeing the likes of Mario and AJ race.

I don't mean that as a slight on Cup, because guys like Petty were also a major reason why they grew. But I imagine that having Mario and AJ race against their regulars didn't hurt. (And obviously NASCAR landing on a GOLDMINE of well-liked American Southern Good Ol' Boys to build up from that point didn't hurt either).

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Too bad Greg Moore died. I personally think he was the best driver we produced. Also the '97 Pacwest cars were really drat good, with Honda Motors I think you might have had an outside chance of seeing Mauricio Gugelmin, CART champion.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Enjoy 2 1/2 hours of beautiful engine noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-vLrG0RK74

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Human Grand Prix posted:

Too bad Greg Moore died. I personally think he was the best driver we produced. Also the '97 Pacwest cars were really drat good, with Honda Motors I think you might have had an outside chance of seeing Mauricio Gugelmin, CART champion.

It is endlessly bizarre to me to think about what Indycar would look like today where Helio didn't get that Penske ride, considering he's still in that car today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Minto Took posted:

Enjoy 2 1/2 hours of beautiful engine noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-vLrG0RK74

I believe I will host this race and others within a week on cytube

• Locked thread